• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Debunking astrology

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
Does is really need to be debunked?

It's at the level of Santa Claus

Mole

Permabanned
Toad of Toad Hall really exists.
We all have a little bit of Toad in us, and some quite a lot.
But who predominants? Is it Toad, Mole, Ratty, Badger, Otter, Little Portly, the Weasels, or the Stoats?
Who are you?

Lark

We all have a little bit of Toad in us, and some quite a lot.
But who predominants? Is it Toad, Mole, Ratty, Badger, Otter, Little Portly, the Weasels, or the Stoats?
Who are you?

Badger. I'm Badger. Always have been.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The danger with debunking astrology is that mbti can be debunked in the same way.

Well the edge MBTI has over astrology is that it bases its assessment on actual personality traits instead of a completely non-sequitur factor (time of birth).

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*looks up neil degrasse tyson's birth chart to see why he's such an attention whore*

anyway... i'm well aware of arguments against astrology, lightweight agree with most of them..... yet i still enjoy it!

also carl sagan seemed to be debunking newspaper horoscopes which is not representative of astrology as a whole.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mean just because it can be debunked doesn't mean it can't be entertaining. XD

Mole

Permabanned
Well the edge MBTI has over astrology is that it bases its assessment on actual personality traits instead of a completely non-sequitur factor (time of birth).

When we looked up at the night sky without knowing what we were looking at, naturally we thought it may contain messages for us, perhaps from the Gods. And we now know that astrology is the ur-religion, the first religion on which all the others are based. So it is impossible to critique any religion today without starting with astrology. So astrology is more than a harmless entertainment. It deserves to be taken seriously.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When we looked up at the night sky without knowing what we were looking at, naturally we thought it may contain messages for us, perhaps from the Gods. And we now know that astrology is the ur-religion, the first religion on which all the others are based. So it is impossible to critique any religion today without starting with astrology. So astrology is more than a harmless entertainment. It deserves to be taken seriously.

Eh, maybe. But the zodiac as we know it today is more recent than this ur-religion you mention, originating in ancient Babylonia at a time when there was already Babylonian religion. The personality aspect of zodiac emerged much later as an aspect of that.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread has made me interested in learning more about astrology.

Mole

Permabanned
Eh, maybe. But the zodiac as we know it today is more recent than this ur-religion you mention, originating in ancient Babylonia at a time when there was already Babylonian religion. The personality aspect of zodiac emerged much later as an aspect of that.
For instance, the twelve signs of the zodiac are mirrored in the twelve apostles.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread has made me interested in learning more about astrology.

Nothing wrong with that.

It's better to have an open mind towards things and investigate what they're about, even if you ultimately find them useless.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
*looks up neil degrasse tyson's birth chart to see why he's such an attention whore*

anyway... i'm well aware of arguments against astrology, lightweight agree with most of them..... yet i still enjoy it!

also carl sagan seemed to be debunking newspaper horoscopes which is not representative of astrology as a whole.

I got the feeling that you might be open towards astrology.

You are right. Newspaper astrology is totally bullshit and poor Carl is debunking something which is absolutely garbage.

Two people belonging to the same sign (let's say aries) could have their planet (let's say Saturn) placed in two different houses. Add to it it could be conjunct with another planet or aspected by another planet or could have a yoga or neech banga or pravirarthan yoga etc. Therefore an astrologer can't generalize and say how a transit would affect an aries, taurus ascendant etc based on a transit.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard some signs being wrong *insert explanations or links as to why* because the current astrological charts are a bit off. I suppose there's always reasons why some people's fit and some people's don't. Maybe the whole chart is just a few millimeters off. Or maybe it's all just total bullshit. Let's say I find it something open and entertaining to explore but at the end of the day their are too many variables that the chances of it being that accurate is very slim, though I will always remain open to the slight possibility. Makes life a bit more amusing. ;) btw I notice with astrology your average goer will constantly post and repost their "sun signs" relating to it, which is cute and all but uh. Amusing as that is, let's just say there's a whole lot more to it than a "sun sign". There's moon, dark moon lilith, rising, yada yada blah blah ~

Bacopa

MBTI Type
intj
Does it really need to be debunked? It's like flat Earth theory