User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    215 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I mean just because it can be debunked doesn't mean it can't be entertaining. XD

After all,
    How can you run from what is inside of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeego View Post
    Well the edge MBTI has over astrology is that it bases its assessment on actual personality traits instead of a completely non-sequitur factor (time of birth).
    When we looked up at the night sky without knowing what we were looking at, naturally we thought it may contain messages for us, perhaps from the Gods. And we now know that astrology is the ur-religion, the first religion on which all the others are based. So it is impossible to critique any religion today without starting with astrology. So astrology is more than a harmless entertainment. It deserves to be taken seriously.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IxI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    When we looked up at the night sky without knowing what we were looking at, naturally we thought it may contain messages for us, perhaps from the Gods. And we now know that astrology is the ur-religion, the first religion on which all the others are based. So it is impossible to critique any religion today without starting with astrology. So astrology is more than a harmless entertainment. It deserves to be taken seriously.
    Eh, maybe. But the zodiac as we know it today is more recent than this ur-religion you mention, originating in ancient Babylonia at a time when there was already Babylonian religion. The personality aspect of zodiac emerged much later as an aspect of that.
    INTP
    ILI or IEI
    5w4 - 9w1 - 4w5 sp/sx
    MelPhleg

Johari | Nohari

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This thread has made me interested in learning more about astrology.
    Likes HongDou, chickpea, Warrior, Riva liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Zeego View Post
    Eh, maybe. But the zodiac as we know it today is more recent than this ur-religion you mention, originating in ancient Babylonia at a time when there was already Babylonian religion. The personality aspect of zodiac emerged much later as an aspect of that.
    For instance, the twelve signs of the zodiac are mirrored in the twelve apostles.

Quote Originally Posted by deathwarmedup View Post
    This thread has made me interested in learning more about astrology.
    Nothing wrong with that.

It's better to have an open mind towards things and investigate what they're about, even if you ultimately find them useless.

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    *looks up neil degrasse tyson's birth chart to see why he's such an attention whore*

anyway... i'm well aware of arguments against astrology, lightweight agree with most of them..... yet i still enjoy it!

also carl sagan seemed to be debunking newspaper horoscopes which is not representative of astrology as a whole.
    I got the feeling that you might be open towards astrology.

You are right. Newspaper astrology is totally bullshit and poor Carl is debunking something which is absolutely garbage.

Two people belonging to the same sign (let's say aries) could have their planet (let's say Saturn) placed in two different houses. Add to it it could be conjunct with another planet or aspected by another planet or could have a yoga or neech banga or pravirarthan yoga etc. Therefore an astrologer can't generalize and say how a transit would affect an aries, taurus ascendant etc based on a transit.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

I've heard some signs being wrong *insert explanations or links as to why* because the current astrological charts are a bit off. I suppose there's always reasons why some people's fit and some people's don't. Maybe the whole chart is just a few millimeters off. Or maybe it's all just total bullshit. Let's say I find it something open and entertaining to explore but at the end of the day their are too many variables that the chances of it being that accurate is very slim, though I will always remain open to the slight possibility. Makes life a bit more amusing. btw I notice with astrology your average goer will constantly post and repost their "sun signs" relating to it, which is cute and all but uh. Amusing as that is, let's just say there's a whole lot more to it than a "sun sign". There's moon, dark moon lilith, rising, yada yada blah blah ~
    Slytherin
    'Symbolism'
    'Art'
    'Ambition'
    Chaotic Neutral~

ENTP 9w8 4w3 6w7 sx/so

(3w4 or 4w3) (5w4 6w7 or 7w6) (9w8)
    Likes Merced liked this post

phallus impudicus

More like slam dunking, amiright?

Not an actual question, fuck off.

Does it really need to be debunked? It's like flat Earth theory