• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wheres the use of astrology?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
all other forms of typology are cheap knockoffs of astrology, and people who like to feel intellectually superior by dismissing it have no idea what the process of properly reading a birth chart entails :shrug:

Muladara

MBTI Type
FIRE
Enneagram
AIR
Does it have one inherent use?
People mostly use it to learn about themselves and/or others, to predict compatibility with others and/or to predict the future, others use it just for fun.
I think if feeds into our need for a sense of a stable identity and sense of security and control of things we perceive are mostly beyond our control like the future. (It is somewhat mentally stimulating as well/fun to talk about)
I don't think if we somehow manage to eradicate astrology, people would suddenly be more into science, people will probably just find or invent something similar to it.
Other members mention its complexity, which I think says nothing about its validity: just because something is complex doesn't mean by default it's true.
I'm not sure I even necessarily agree it's complex, there is just lot of information to learn. (and I say this as someone who has been interested in astrology/has moderate knowledge of it)
The problem of its validity aside, I don't really see a real harm in people using it, but in the ways it can be used. (just like with anything else really)
Personally I believe that regardless of whether you believe in it or not it's best not to take it too seriously either way.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
It's either entertainment or idiocy. I say idiocy, not ignorance, because there is no excuse for people with access to the internet to dig all the way into reading charts without ever bothering to learn the ways Astrology is manipulating them...

...and that all of this is considered to be pseudoscience (meaning something that seems to resemble science but isn't) in part because it's already been disproven by facts.

This is 2021. Those who still buy into this just aren't educated enough to realize NASA has blown their natal charts back to the Bronze Ages.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
....probably mostly Americans. The society is structured so that they notoriously turn out to be almost as clueless about the rest of the universe as North Korea is. The difference is, they actually have internet, enough food to survive, and freedom. They're just too selfish and lazy to care about educating themselves on anything that doesn't affect them personally. Imagine what the world might be like if people spent as much time learning about others and helping them as they do about useless birth charts. The difference is that the birth charts are all about these astrology enthusiasts, and the rest of the world is not all about them. Thus, where their interest is.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
all other forms of typology are cheap knockoffs of astrology, and people who like to feel intellectually superior by dismissing it have no idea what the process of properly reading a birth chart entails :shrug:
but astrology is totally random tho

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Explain me, why do people still use astrology? It's unscietifical, It doesent affect you any way and It's just words...

Like, I gonna laugh at those articles that going to explain your luck based on this year or if you going to have success or overall not.
Also It's laughable how people claim that planets and other celestial objects affect your personality, like lol...

But really what Irretates me that makes me want to rant about astrology is the unfair/uneven zodiac sign characteristics.

I mean look...

Leo - Proud, leader, loyal, ambitious, fearless, always confident.
Negatives: Bossy, vain, arrogant, quick-tempered...

Aries - Adventorious, optimistic, energetic...
Negatives: Quick-tempered, impatient, childish.

Saggitarious - Energetic, charismatic, likeable, adventorious, extraverted.
Negatives: Careless, irresponsible... And now to mention 2 more negative traits which I think are actualy positive in my opinion: Restless, blindly optimistic.

Aquarius - Intellectuall and maybe know it all sign, independent, friendly, creative, generous...
Negatives: Malajusted, stubborn, rebellious.

What do my zodiac sign pisces have?

Artistic, imaginative, compassionate... And now the "Positive" traits which I think are just pure negative in my opinion: Introverted, emotional, sensitive.
Actual Negatives: Lazy, Escapist a.k.a "SMOKE WEED EVERE DAY MADAFAKERS!!!11!", vulnerable and gulible/spiritual a.k.a "ALLAHU AKBAR!!!" or "I'm such a boring person, so I'm just going to read bible all of the whole day cause I'm useless."

Seriously... Quick-tempered, arrogant, impatient, childish... I would preffer to have those negative traits over those that pisces have, Pisces is way too much negative, boring and weak. The "Artistic, Imaginative" traits is not enough counter the horrid negative signs that pisces have like lazy and spiritual. (And it have alot of them).

Not only pisces being the useless sign, look also at Scorpio, not to offend, from what I know scorpio is the most hated sign, since It's very jealous, stalker, cheater, etc... Cancer and taurus also falls on the category of useless zodiac signs.

Thats my opinion why people should stop using zodiac signs and forget about it completely, and perhaps stop showing it up your face.

If you think that astrology is so "Accurate", then why the hell my sun sign is pisces then?
I'm spiritual? No.
I'm escapist? No.
I'm wild? No.
I'm lazy? No, I'm adventorious and playfull person and I'm just getting bored very easly, so that does not count as being lazy.
I'm compassionate? Not really, I'm not a person that is willing to help so much, I will help only if they ask (Not always though), but other than that, I'm not interested in helping others.
I'm Introverted? No, I'm ambivert with a little of Extraverted traits. Sometimes you want to be alone, but I like to be sometimes alone only at home so I can enjoy play video games in my PC, Multiplayer or singleplayer games, does not matter for me, as long as I have fun and don't get bored, although it would be more enjoyable to play video games with a friend. but It gets very boring if you sit alone home all day without going outside to random places with friends or with your family members, but since I don't have friends (Shy to talk with strangers) and I live only with my dad but all he does is go to shops and is just usualy always sitting home and watching political news, so thats why I end up sitting home all day with one big BOREDOM. Also, If I want to go to adventure, explore, travel and to outside, I prefer to do it with friends, family members or with school where you travel with many people.

I remember my traveling in the Yehuda desert with my school, class mates and many more people from the school, after I finished the traveling in the Yehuda desert, I was sweaty amd because of that very dirty, but I still felt very satysfied since most of the day I spend traveling, with my class mates, with my school, asking the instructor random questions about the Yehuda deserted... It's very enjoyable.

My overall personality is: I'm short-tempered, enthusiastic, kind of bold.. don't really know, easly to anger, Adventorious, playfull, easly bored, Impatient, I like to share my experiences with people that I'm close to, trust and like. And I can pretty much say that I'm childish sometimes. And also I'm realistic person that is trying to be optimistic.

If most of my personality traits are closer to aries, then what the actual hell I'm doing at pisces then, why the hell is pisces my sun sign when my personality is not close to pisces?

So why people still use that system?
Because it's easy, it's flattering, it's hard to disprove, and it gives people a brief vacation from the confusion and uncertainty of life. That makes it addictive. But I suspect you know this.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To determine when to not have sex to avoid undesirable sun signs for your children.

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
Explain me, why do people still use astrology? It's unscietifical, It doesent affect you any way and It's just words...

Like, I gonna laugh at those articles that going to explain your luck based on this year or if you going to have success or overall not.
Also It's laughable how people claim that planets and other celestial objects affect your personality, like lol...

But really what Irretates me that makes me want to rant about astrology is the unfair/uneven zodiac sign characteristics.

I mean look...

Leo - Proud, leader, loyal, ambitious, fearless, always confident.
Negatives: Bossy, vain, arrogant, quick-tempered...

Aries - Adventorious, optimistic, energetic...
Negatives: Quick-tempered, impatient, childish.

Saggitarious - Energetic, charismatic, likeable, adventorious, extraverted.
Negatives: Careless, irresponsible... And now to mention 2 more negative traits which I think are actualy positive in my opinion: Restless, blindly optimistic.

Aquarius - Intellectuall and maybe know it all sign, independent, friendly, creative, generous...
Negatives: Malajusted, stubborn, rebellious.

What do my zodiac sign pisces have?

Artistic, imaginative, compassionate... And now the "Positive" traits which I think are just pure negative in my opinion: Introverted, emotional, sensitive.
Actual Negatives: Lazy, Escapist a.k.a "SMOKE WEED EVERE DAY MADAFAKERS!!!11!", vulnerable and gulible/spiritual a.k.a "ALLAHU AKBAR!!!" or "I'm such a boring person, so I'm just going to read bible all of the whole day cause I'm useless."

Seriously... Quick-tempered, arrogant, impatient, childish... I would preffer to have those negative traits over those that pisces have, Pisces is way too much negative, boring and weak. The "Artistic, Imaginative" traits is not enough counter the horrid negative signs that pisces have like lazy and spiritual. (And it have alot of them).

Not only pisces being the useless sign, look also at Scorpio, not to offend, from what I know scorpio is the most hated sign, since It's very jealous, stalker, cheater, etc... Cancer and taurus also falls on the category of useless zodiac signs.

Thats my opinion why people should stop using zodiac signs and forget about it completely, and perhaps stop showing it up your face.

If you think that astrology is so "Accurate", then why the hell my sun sign is pisces then?
I'm spiritual? No.
I'm escapist? No.
I'm wild? No.
I'm lazy? No, I'm adventorious and playfull person and I'm just getting bored very easly, so that does not count as being lazy.
I'm compassionate? Not really, I'm not a person that is willing to help so much, I will help only if they ask (Not always though), but other than that, I'm not interested in helping others.
I'm Introverted? No, I'm ambivert with a little of Extraverted traits. Sometimes you want to be alone, but I like to be sometimes alone only at home so I can enjoy play video games in my PC, Multiplayer or singleplayer games, does not matter for me, as long as I have fun and don't get bored, although it would be more enjoyable to play video games with a friend. but It gets very boring if you sit alone home all day without going outside to random places with friends or with your family members, but since I don't have friends (Shy to talk with strangers) and I live only with my dad but all he does is go to shops and is just usualy always sitting home and watching political news, so thats why I end up sitting home all day with one big BOREDOM. Also, If I want to go to adventure, explore, travel and to outside, I prefer to do it with friends, family members or with school where you travel with many people.

I remember my traveling in the Yehuda desert with my school, class mates and many more people from the school, after I finished the traveling in the Yehuda desert, I was sweaty amd because of that very dirty, but I still felt very satysfied since most of the day I spend traveling, with my class mates, with my school, asking the instructor random questions about the Yehuda deserted... It's very enjoyable.

My overall personality is: I'm short-tempered, enthusiastic, kind of bold.. don't really know, easly to anger, Adventorious, playfull, easly bored, Impatient, I like to share my experiences with people that I'm close to, trust and like. And I can pretty much say that I'm childish sometimes. And also I'm realistic person that is trying to be optimistic.

If most of my personality traits are closer to aries, then what the actual hell I'm doing at pisces then, why the hell is pisces my sun sign when my personality is not close to pisces?

So why people still use that system?

I couldn't read your entire post but I think your point is this - "why do people use astrology if it has little practical merit given it is unscientific and suffers to biases."

I agree with you on one hand. For the longest time I was obsessed with Astrology. I mastered the subject in college and began reading charts for everyone and their mother. I gained a reputation as an astrologer and pretty soon I realized that I was quite embarrassed by it. For me, it was an experiment to understand if it worked. Why would a highly analytical mind even believe this? Because of an experience I had.

One day I walked into a library and I was trying to decide if I should switch my major to music, from business, and I was suffering. I came upon a book in the paranormal section, which I never go by and just happened to be interested in reading some ghost stories. The book was entitled Synchronicity and it reminded me of an album by the Police (way before my time).

Anyways, I opened the book to a random page and right on that page it said, "Max was fired from his job as an accountant and took it as a sign to pursue his passion in music." Ultimately the protagonist, with the same name and dilemma as me, chose to teach music. Reading that passage helped me decide to stay in business because I hate teaching.

Long story short....whether you're doing astrology, looking into the mud, shaking tea leaves, or tossing bones - the human soul is connected to every other center in the universe. Matter and spirit are one. Our divine right is to project out into the world and see the many and the one at once. To be lost in the eternal now with all its darks and lights, to beam out from the infinite our finite flawed personalities so that we can catch a glimpse of hope.

People do it because it brings them hope - and your soul needs hope to grow. When we confuse spiritual food for literal truth, we get into trouble. I don't believe in astrology. I don't use it to decide who I will date, what I will eat, what I will be....

I look at Astrology from time to time and it's crazy how accurate it can be, though. Perhaps that is a bias...but my wife is a Taurus (like my chart indicates she would be), my vocation involves transformation of assets (8th house sun in Capricorn), and I look like Elvis (moon in Pisces and sun in Capricorn), except I have a slightly more "two-faced" profile (Gemini ascendant).

I've spent my entire life taking care of other people's assets (Jupiter in Capricorn in the 8th house), working endless hours for businesses that transform things - fertilizer companies, pharmaceuticals, corporate tax and reporting (Scorpio, Pluto, Saturn in the sixth) and I've even been a bill collector.

I don't believe in it at all...But when I need to hear God whisper, I put my ear to the ocean and pray. Run baby run (not you, my prayer).

Last edited:

KurtCobain

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
....probably mostly Americans. The society is structured so that they notoriously turn out to be almost as clueless about the rest of the universe as North Korea is. The difference is, they actually have internet, enough food to survive, and freedom. They're just too selfish and lazy to care about educating themselves on anything that doesn't affect them personally. Imagine what the world might be like if people spent as much time learning about others and helping them as they do about useless birth charts. The difference is that the birth charts are all about these astrology enthusiasts, and the rest of the world is not all about them. Thus, where their interest is.
I take it you live outside of America?

KurtCobain

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Born and raised in America. So no, I've witnessed what I said firsthand.
I don't dispute you living here in America, because I've seen the self-centeredness, too. When you said "they" instead of "we", it made me wonder if you were living abroad. I've considered moving abroad, but I have a stable government job and cheap mortgage here, so I'm torn between starting my life over abroad, or waiting into retirement to move abroad, since I will have a full pension in 25 years, I'll only be 52 when I get the pension, and can just go explore the world then when I don't need to worry about how I'll pay for it. If I did it right now, I'd need to take on some serious debt to pay for it, and lose my progress towards a pension and paid-off house. On the other hand, I have no children and probably never will since I'm an aroace man. I may adopt from abroad in a few years, though. Having a child to care for would feed my soul and help me heal from my own childhood traumas. I'll wait to pay off my vehicle, though.