• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Multiple Personality Systems] Which Hornevian Types Are You and Your SOs?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This will be a worthwhile personality analysis since it focuses on traits in an attempt to derive a type.

To make it easier and more interesting, I'll divulge the three Hornevian types as they correlate with Enneagram types + wings.

1w9 - compliant with withdrawn
1w2 - double compliant
2w1 - double compliant
2w3 - compliant with aggressive
3w2 - aggressive with compliant
3w4 - aggressive with withdrawn
4w3 - withdrawn with aggressive
4w5 - double withdrawn
5w4 - double withdrawn
5w6 - withdrawn with compliant
6w5 - compliant with withdrawn
6w7 - compliant with aggressive
7w6 - aggressive with compliant
7w8 - double aggressive
8w7 - double aggressive
8w9 - aggressive with withdrawn
9w8 - withdrawn with aggressive
9w1 - withdrawn with compliant

These types with wing correlations were extracted from Don Riso's book Personality Types.

Karen Horney didn't distinguish sub-types of withdrawn, compliant, and aggressive types. But it's obvious from the list above that Riso had already found the Hornevian sub-types. So the problem for any interested parties is how to apply the distinction. This can be done through self- and other-analysis of observable personality and behavioral traits. This may also be a useful way to determine enneagram types more easily.

By the way, Karen Horney's seminal work, "Our Inner Conflicts," is available as a free download if you know where to look online, and if you're interested in reading a detailed exposition of her typology.

Tritypes brings even more complexity to the Hornevian triad. In that system I am a triple withdrawn type - although my type 6 score, the other wing, has been rising due to my effort at adjusting to new environmental/social factors.

My wife is ISFP 9w8 962. This will be one of the most conflicted of all e-types. When I first met her I noticed she was conflicted between motivations, caught in indecision between staying with family (962) and going out to party (8). If her 6 has a 7 wing (which it does), then there is a conflict with the "aggressive" 7, another type motivated to party.

And no, I'm not saying that every 7 and 8 likes to party, since there is a distinction between having a desire and acting upon it. A person can feel motivated to party and yet not party. That's a distinction usually not made by typologists because much of their thinking is limited by the term "stereotyping" which is a catch-all for saying "I disagree with you because - I don't know - stereotypes." Or it is controlled by other such buzzwords that serve as a superficial, static value-system which acts as a buffer to disguise their aggressive feeling-states as being intellectual instead.

You may have an SO who is double aggressive like my ESFP step-daughter. The double aggressive types correlate with 8w7 and 7w8. She is probably the latter. Her life can be summed up with the following statement: "I want what I want when I want it." This is not a self-contradicted type at all, unlike with her mother. Fortunately, it is controlled by her disability which limits her in having her intense and insatiable physical/emotional needs met immediately. But this has a silver lining that she can't understand: if it wasn't for her disability she would either be dead or a slave of human traffickers. If I were to tell her something like that, she wouldn't disbelieve it, she would simply say "I don't care." Because when you live for the moment, and that's all you have, then nothing else matters.

These types are not uncommon at all. I met a woman online whose motto, typically for the type with a wild lifestyle, was "you have to die some time." And she did die at the age of 35.

Rouskyrie

My significant other is an ISTP 5w4 548, so by what's presented here, she would be double withdrawn, double withdrawn and double aggressive.

Where as I'm a 9w1 925, so by what's presented here, I would be withdrawn with compliant, double compliant and double withdrawn.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Just me, no significant humans on Earth's surface for me.

I'm 5w4 - 4w5 - 1w9, so I'm double withdrawn - double withdrawn - compliant withdrawn.

And now you know why there are no significant humans on Earth's surface for me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting.

1w2-7w6-3w4

Double compliant - Aggressive with compliant - Aggressive with withdrawn

I guess that's a sort of well-roundedness? Kinda? Double compliant makes sense with my core. Makes a lot of sense. But I'm not sure what to make of the rest of this.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting.

1w2-7w6-3w4

Double compliant - Aggressive with compliant - Aggressive with withdrawn

I guess that's a sort of well-roundedness? Kinda? Double compliant makes sense with my core. Makes a lot of sense. But I'm not sure what to make of the rest of this.

I didn't intend for anybody to correlate the triads like that. I was only focusing on the dominant type which in your case is 1w2.

Everybody is likely to have all three Hornevian qualities to some degree, but only one of them will be prominent therefore important. My wider intent is to bring the Hornevian triad into focus, although it is helpful to explain this sort of thing in terms of something people already have experience with, thus making it more relatable.

The Hornevian triad brings forth personality characteristics that may not have been covered by other typologies, particularly negative qualities we should work on. Karen states that there is a factor held in common by all three, and that is a negative relationship with other people, and therefore with the self. She focuses on alienation with others and within the self. These are three ways that people become alienated. Her thesis is that people are primarily influenced by their relationships with others. Neurosis differs in form from one culture to another. When she moved to America she noticed that Americans had a different from of neurosis than the one she was familiar with. She theorized that it was due to the cultural differences between America and her native country. Culture is apparently expressed through experiences with others within that culture.

Edit - today we call these experiences "memes."

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
2w3 (Compliant + Aggressive)
7w8 (Double Aggressive)
8w7 (Double Aggressive)

tumblr_nj8ziqNgNi1qgwaixo2_500.gif

tumblr_nj8ziqNgNi1qgwaixo1_500.gif

tumblr_nj8ziqNgNi1qgwaixo3_500.gif

(lol this gifset is even more appropriate cause Chris Pratt's character is an ENFP if im not mistaken)

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
No SO atm, so there's me:

9w1-3w4-6w5

withdrawn with compliant - aggressive with withdrawn - compliant with withdrawn

Now that I see you didn't mean for the above correlation...9w1, withdrawn with compliant.

So...what of it?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No SO atm, so there's me:

9w1-3w4-6w5

withdrawn with compliant - aggressive with withdrawn - compliant with withdrawn

Now that I see you didn't mean for the above correlation...9w1, withdrawn with compliant.

So...what of it?

Right. I didn't want that (meaningless) correlation or else I would have brought it up. As for 'what of it,' "Karen Horney's seminal work, Our Inner Conflicts, is available as a free download." The meaning behind the correlation is found in that book.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
withdrawn with compliant/compliant with withdrawn ~ aggressive with withdrawn ~ compliant with withdrawn

I've never had a significant other.