User Tag List

First 1725262728 Last

Results 261 to 270 of 272

Thread: Astrology

  1. #261
    Haou no Yami Tenebris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I've noticed that Astrology is gaining a bit of steam all of a sudden in some of peer groups, which is hastening my inevitable slide into insanity and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into why this shit is catching on again.

    Also my wife and I are both Libra and couldn't be more different. So riddle me that.
    Because it's one of those things that is fun to believe in, even if not real. They come and go like fad, because once the appeal wears off with logic, people move on or not.

    I've personally always been a person that likes to believe in things that are not real, because it makes life more interesting and people more interesting in the what ifs.
    一期一会

    Only from the deepest darkness, can you see the stars.

  2. #262
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Because typology doesn't rely on your birthday as a deciding input, it's just a description of observed patterns of thinking. If MBTI said ENTJs are born between 12-2 PM, you'd have a point. Also, astrology aims to be predictive, does it not? Typology is descriptive only, with only a general amount of predictive power, if any.
    And why are you so sure that there is no observed correlation between celestial bodies' position at the time of birth and fate/personality? For example, there was a study showing that winter babies are more sensitive to cold weather than summer babies, and the explanation was that in many countries (except for Iceland and a few others), winter babies are kept too warm. Since the speed of nervous system growth during the first months is very high, much of its development is influenced by the most important stimuli during this time, the difference between the body and atmospheric temperature being one of the most important ones, thus the whole metabolism, and some of the core behavior, is influenced by it too. Furthermore, the darkness in the first months of the year is also having an impact. Also, every time of the day is related to certain speed of entropy increase, which trigger specific biochemical reactions at specific rate in the newly born. Believe it or not, Capricorn's personality (the zodiac sign for January) as described by astrology, behaves as someone who is wired to prepare and endure unpleasant conditions, while being sensitive to them nonetheless. It is still the movement of the celestial bodies that influences seasons, is it not? Saturn, as second by size in the Solar system, (but also any other close object for that matter) influences the position and movement of Earth indirectly, by its gravitational field. I'm not saying that astrology and its underlying ideas are correct, only that indirect correlations exist between everything, not only personalities and planets.

    True, astrology aims to be predictive not descriptive as MBTI, but the similarities still stand and many of us try to predict behavior knowing someone's type. ENTJ could mean nothing because the connection between how you answered to 100 questions at some point in your life is not relevant to who you are in general. It shows a behavioral trend which has as much to do with the current environment, previous history and particular situation as it has with genes, brain, or anything else. One ENTJ next to another ENTJ could be perceived as the opposite type.

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    That's what I gather. Which calls into question the very idea of categorizing under sun signs in the first place.

    I just want to know why the youths are taking this stuff seriously again. Maybe it's because of saturn return.
    It is a plus for astrology in a sense that it takes into account the complexity of human personality that a limited classification as MBTI cannot do. I don't see much point to either, but that makes astrology more open for interpretations, and even harder to prove false, hence, the interest in it is more persistent.

  3. #263
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    did u notice an increase in the streets of the same car color and model after you bought one?
    Yes. And I'm still unimpressed with the fact that my coworker bought the exact same vehicle in the exact same color with nearly identical wheels, only "outdoing" me with a newer 4x4 equipped model.

    In all seriousness, your point is valid, but I also think it stands to reason that we don't yet fully understand the effects of energy on developing organisms, or even energy itself.

    Also, if you consider the possibility that we could, in reality, be programmed, it would make sense to have several systems of influence on our development (functions, enneatype, astrology type, and more obvious influencers like DNA, subjective experience, etc). If you are going to create a believable existence for nearly 7.7 billion people, you better have it planned from A to Z so that individuality remains a thing.

    Furthermore, similarities in personality between two similar people is often expressed phenotypically. Clearly, there are patterns at play here that we cannot yet accurately define, measure, predict, or explain.
    Perpetual mood


    “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”


    - look it up yourself



  4. #264
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    9,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Yes. And I'm still unimpressed with the fact that my coworker bought the exact same vehicle in the exact same color with nearly identical wheels, only "outdoing" me with a newer 4x4 equipped model.

    In all seriousness, your point is valid, but I also think it stands to reason that we don't yet fully understand the effects of energy on developing organisms, or even energy itself.

    Also, if you consider the possibility that we could, in reality, be programmed, it would make sense to have several systems of influence on our development (functions, enneatype, astrology type, and more obvious influencers like DNA, subjective experience, etc). If you are going to create a believable existence for nearly 7.7 billion people, you better have it planned from A to Z so that individuality remains a thing.

    Furthermore, similarities in personality between two similar people is often expressed phenotypically. Clearly, there are patterns at play here that we cannot yet accurately define, measure, predict, or explain.
    I have no idea what you're on about.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  5. #265
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    I have no idea what you're on about.
    That's the most English thing I've ever heard you say.
    Perpetual mood


    “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”


    - look it up yourself



  6. #266
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    9,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    That's the most English thing I've ever heard you say.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes Peter Deadpan, Luminous liked this post

  7. #267
    Velvet Darkness magnetica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I've noticed that Astrology is gaining a bit of steam all of a sudden in some of peer groups, which is hastening my inevitable slide into insanity and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into why this shit is catching on again.

    Also my wife and I are both Libra and couldn't be more different. So riddle me that.
    Extremely difficult question, thank you.

    Both of you are Libra, yes, but your natal charts are probably too fucking different, if I was to consider inputs such as time of birth, place of birth etc. for they create extremely different charts.

    Next.
    "The pansy at my feet
    Doth the same tale repeat:
    Whither is fled the visionary gleam?
    Where is it now, the glory and the dream?"



    ex Glados.
    Likes chickpea liked this post

  8. #268
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,699

    Default

    I'm just gonna blame everything on this.
    Apparently I die rich though, so there's that.

    Perpetual mood


    “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”


    - look it up yourself



  9. #269
    Moderator Yuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None
    Posts
    3,724

    Default

    Would anyone mind explaining my chart if I post it? I tried to decipher it myself but-no.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

    " I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."

  10. #270
    Senior Member asynartetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13,620

    Default

    “Some people underestimate how erotic it is to be understood.” -Mary Rakow
    “In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.” -CG Jung
    “I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand them.” -Baruch Spinoza

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] is astrology real?
    By sculpting in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 11:19 PM
  2. Astrology and Us
    By Thursday in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 02:14 AM
  3. Weird (thread about astrology)
    By Sunshine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM
  4. Astrology is nonsense?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 08:18 PM
  5. Scientific Astrology??
    By substitute in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO