User Tag List

First 162425262728 Last

Thread: Astrology

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Introspector View Post
    I also don't understand the big deal with the moon and the sun.
    In astrology, the sun represents conscious awareness and the moon represents emotions/innate feelings/longings.

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

@Gentleman Jack the ascendant is your outermost energy. Some call it the personality. I like the car analogy, if you are a car, astrologically speaking, the moon is your actual car, the sun Is the way your driving it and the ascendant is the outer appearance or how you've decorated it. Ascendant also influences your interests.
    Likes The Cat, chickpea liked this post

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I've noticed that Astrology is gaining a bit of steam all of a sudden in some of peer groups, which is hastening my inevitable slide into insanity and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into why this shit is catching on again.

Also my wife and I are both Libra and couldn't be more different. So riddle me that.

did u notice an increase in the streets of the same car color and model after you bought one?
    Likes A-a-ron Carter liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    639 so/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheeseBurgerKing View Post
    @Gentleman Jack the ascendant is your outermost energy. Some call it the personality. I like the car analogy, if you are a car, astrologically speaking, the moon is your actual car, the sun Is the way your driving it and the ascendant is the outer appearance or how you've decorated it. Ascendant also influences your interests.
    I've always been skeptical and still am regarding astrology. I usually shut it down with a "yeah, I'm an Aries but fuck that, the descriptions are totally off for me".
    I saw this post, and I decided to take a look at my moon. Capricorn, apparently. From what I've read, it means having problems with emotions, being pragmatic and whatever.
    I laughed so hard, because the descriptions I've read this time aren't that off.
    I don't think that it's so personal
    Anymore
    I don't think that it's irreversible
    Anymore
    Sometimes I feel like I'm a sentimental trooper.

6w5 - 3w4 - 9w8 so/sp
    RLUEI
    Chaotic neutral.
    LII-Ne.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

I still don't really believe, really, but I did my natal chart and it is crazy accurate. So is my wife's. So is my brother's.

You can do a free natal chart here: Free Astrology Birth Chart Report
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I've noticed that Astrology is gaining a bit of steam all of a sudden in some of peer groups, which is hastening my inevitable slide into insanity and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into why this shit is catching on again.

Also my wife and I are both Libra and couldn't be more different. So riddle me that.
    And would like to know how is astrology different from personality types. Both try to classify people based on empirical observations, both fail under scrutiny, both are mostly useless, unless you want to get away with certain behavior.
    BTW, the combinations of personality traits in astrology are much more than 16 (or 32), or 12 as you suggested, but rather unlimited. Hence, two Libras could be quite different, according to the concept of astrology, but it is still nonsense, of course.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    And would like to know how is astrology different from personality types. Both try to classify people based on empirical observations, both fail under scrutiny, both are mostly useless, unless you want to get away with certain behavior.
    Because typology doesn't rely on your birthday as a deciding input, it's just a description of observed patterns of thinking. If MBTI said ENTJs are born between 12-2 PM, you'd have a point. Also, astrology aims to be predictive, does it not? Typology is descriptive only, with only a general amount of predictive power, if any.

BTW, the combinations of personality traits in astrology are much more than 16 (or 32), or 12 as you suggested, but rather unlimited. Hence, two Libras could be quite different, according to the concept of astrology, but it is still nonsense, of course.
    That's what I gather. Which calls into question the very idea of categorizing under sun signs in the first place.

I just want to know why the youths are taking this stuff seriously again. Maybe it's because of saturn return.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Easy, she's in the witness protection program.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

That's what I gather. Which calls into question the very idea of categorizing under sun signs in the first place.

I just want to know why the youths are taking this stuff seriously again. Maybe it's because of saturn return.
    i’ve been into astrology since i was a preteen, and it’s definitely blown up lately. i think it’s due to social media...astrology meme accounts became popular a few years ago, and people either became more exposed to it or just didn’t want to be left out of the joke.

it does tend to promote a lot of bad or simplistic information on the subject though. people know that their moon sign or rising sign exist now, but they still don’t understand what a birth chart is. i do appreciate that i have more people to discuss it with now. and more access to people’s birth charts
    Likes JocktheMotie liked this post