• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Four Tendancies

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Questioner. No surprise there.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
According to your answers, your dominant Tendency is Questioner.

Questioners question all expectations, and will meet an expectation only if they believe it’s justified, so in effect, they meet only inner expectations.

Once Questioners believe that a particular habit is worthwhile, they’ll stick to it—but only if they’re satisfied about the habit’s soundness and usefulness. They resist anything arbitrary or ineffective; they accept direction only from people they respect.

Questioners may exhaust themselves (and other people) with their relentless questioning, and they sometimes find it hard to act without perfect information.

If you’re thinking, “Well, right now I question the validity of the Four Tendencies framework,” yep, you’re probably a Questioner!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got upholder, which kind of surprises me. I would have leaned towards questioner, as I don't think I'm exactly the most agreeable person when it comes to doing things automatically without question (because I won't), as I'll resist if something doesn't make sense, but eh. otoh I can definitely act with imperfect info. Close enough I guess.

KitchenFly

I suppose coming at it from the angle of respect, I might change a habit if I thought one of my peers did not respect me and I wanted to be respected. I guess maybe that's a form of external accountability.

On a different note, I was reading the rebel description and wondering what it means to tie your choices to your identity and how that helps.

The two contrast each other, as an unhealthy nine in my early years like Primary school days I had may internal and external struggles and the rebel identity was very much my style and I did not have the respect of my role models so I needed to shift my attitude and behaviours and it was difficult I had find other parts of myself that fitted the complying role of fitting in as a team player. Sports was a first step. And cross country running was my first step to learning a new discipline. It helped me with changing my mind set and staying focused on the unity of being being me without the mind leading, a kind of meditation. In short it helped me develop my heathy point three within and the team loyalty of point:6 by staying the course. I embraced sports and became the best at football ruby and long distance running, and gained the second highest grading ever recorded at the time for Jujitsu within the Southern Hemisphere.

It lead to cultivating presence and utilising my one wing and eight wing heathy aspects in flow to with my Severn wing and two wing with out getting stuck within the solo terrain of my nine energy alone it's lower Heath parts.

So some how I found an attitude from those elements of the points 3-6-1-8-7 and 2. I think this was a start to the development of my heathy Id because I need to assess and utilise the reasoning skills from point:5 and point:4 to facilitate and maintain my own personal development.

I think this is how I gained my Tri type 9w8 5w4 4w3 it was not though being a scholar it was though learning to regulate my emotions and behaviours thinking INFTP (5w6 head centre) and feeling ENTP (4w5 hart centre). Lead to my personal development of Think Point Nine at the instinctual level as a 9w1 Sx/Sp this lead to me balancing my So/Sx third instinctual energy that was out of balance and running my avoidance patterns my lower nine energy of trying to ignore and disengage from being conches and alert to the narrative the sense think feel of others within there general phycology expressed.

I was frittered of being receptive to there agendas phycology and mood driven phycology but basically I was frittered of the free instinctual energy underlying the personality.

I guess that is why I am able to see and understand that the both wings have a direct link to agenda and or mood.

Anyway that part of my story and I can relate closely to two of the four tendencies. I am shore if I was to think about the other two I could see how they to play a role within my minds operations. The questioner maybe linked to my eight wing 8w9 energy and the obliger maybe linked to my one wing. One wing agenda, Eight wing mood.

Another posable way to stack the four Tendencies for myself could be as follows.

Questioner: Points 9 and 5 and 4

Obliger: Points 1 and 7 and 4

Rebel: Points 3 and 6 and 9

Upholder:points 2 and 5 and 8

Last edited:

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I should've made this into a poll to see the frequency of results. I'm also a questioner too though. No surprise there.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't even have to take it to know exactly what my reslut will be according to what others have already posted

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
According to your answers, your dominant Tendency is Obliger.

Obligers respond readily to outer expectations, but struggle to meet inner expectations. In other words, they work hard not to let other people down, but they often let themselves down. Obligers may find it difficult to form a habit, because often we undertake habits for our own benefit, and Obligers do things more easily for others than for themselves.
For Obligers, the key to forming habits is to create external accountability.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wonder what the correlations between these things are?
Maybe this is actually correlated with the humors?
Upholder-Choleric
Questioner- Melancholic
Obliger-Phlegmatic
Rebel-Sanguine
[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION], could any of these results have something to do with your temperament system?

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very interesting and enlightening (though I am not surprised by my results). Thanks for posting! :cheers:

Obligers respond readily to outer expectations, but struggle to meet inner expectations. In other words, they work hard not to let other people down, but they often let themselves down.

Obligers may find it difficult to form a habit, because often we undertake habits for our own benefit, and Obligers do things more easily for others than for themselves.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder what the correlations between these things are?
Maybe this is actually correlated with the humors?
Upholder-Choleric
Questioner- Melancholic
Obliger-Phlegmatic
Rebel-Sanguine
Eric B, could any of these results have something to do with your temperament system?

Both dimensions at first sound like "wanted" behavior (how much we want others to approach us to either include us or make decisions for us). But "Expectations" seems to covey how we react when it's already established what influence people have over us. So it may only correspond to temperament to a certain extent.
Supine will be affected by outer expectations and resist inner ones (because he needs others to direct him, hence, Obliger), while Choleric will resist outer expectations, and rely on inner expectations (they are the ones who will say something like "I'm pushing myself; I'm as hard on others as I am of myself", etc. Hence, Questioner). The Sanguine might be a "Rebel", and The Melancholy is likely an "Upholder", who will accept others' infuence over their decisions if it is an authorized authority, and in a known area. (this would fit [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] 's matching to Keirsey). The Phlegmatic might vary, as he is driven primarily by the need to preserve his low energy reserve (and take the path of least resistance), and this will lead him to want to meet his own and others' expectations (to keep the peace), but when the energy runs out, he'll start failing his own, and then when others push, he's [infamously] stubbornly resist.
I also believe the influence of temperament blend figures in it. So there's both Keirsey (conative, or action), and there's also Interaction Style (social)

I got "Obliger". I woud think "Questioner" (by literal name) or "Rebel" (by seemingly not being good at meeting either expectations), but the Supine-Choleric mix is what has me torn between my own inner resolves and outer expectations. Since I'm both; Supine in the social area; or INP, and Choleric in the action area, NT, then in surface interaction, I'm very impressionable, but when it comes to your way or mine, I want to do my own thing, and often, everyone else do it as well. But this is often hampered by the surface are, which you have to get by in dealing with people to begin with.
So it's a constant back and forth tug of war and can be pretty confusing or frustrating. On this test, the obliging apparentely edged out, thoug I'm a bit surprosed from the choices I entered. It must have been pretty close, but this one doesn't give relative percentages or anything like that.

It seems the results varied, with some fitting, and some not. This is never going to come out exact, because it is an entirely different framework, and this not even takigng into consideration the infuence of "nurture" (learned behavior and conditioning, over "nature").

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Both dimensions at first sound like "wanted" behavior (how much we want others to approach us to either include us or make decisions for us). But "Expectations" seems to covey how we react when it's already established what influence people have over us. So it may only correspond to temperament to a certain extent.
Supine will be affected by outer expectations and resist inner ones (because he needs others to direct him, hence, Obliger), while Choleric will resist outer expectations, and rely on inner expectations (they are the ones who will say something like "I'm pushing myself; I'm as hard on others as I am of myself", etc. Hence, Questioner). The Sanguine might be a "Rebel", and The Melancholy is likely an "Upholder", who will accept others' infuence over their decisions if it is an authorized authority, and in a known area. (this would fit [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] 's matching to Keirsey). The Phlegmatic might vary, as he is driven primarily by the need to preserve his low energy reserve (and take the path of least resistance), and this will lead him to want to meet his own and others' expectations (to keep the peace), but when the energy runs out, he'll start failing his own, and then when others push, he's [infamously] stubbornly resist.
I also believe the influence of temperament blend figures in it. So there's both Keirsey (conative, or action), and there's also Interaction Style (social)

I got "Obliger". I woud think "Questioner" (by literal name) or "Rebel" (by seemingly not being good at meeting either expectations), but the Supine-Choleric mix is what has me torn between my own inner resolves and outer expectations. Since I'm both; Supine in the social area; or INP, and Choleric in the action area, NT, then in surface interaction, I'm very impressionable, but when it comes to your way or mine, I want to do my own thing, and often, everyone else do it as well. But this is often hampered by the surface are, which you have to get by in dealing with people to begin with.
So it's a constant back and forth tug of war and can be pretty confusing or frustrating. On this test, the obliging apparentely edged out, thoug I'm a bit surprosed from the choices I entered. It must have been pretty close, but this one doesn't give relative percentages or anything like that.

It seems the results varied, with some fitting, and some not. This is never going to come out exact, because it is an entirely different framework, and this not even takigng into consideration the infuence of "nurture" (learned behavior and conditioning, over "nature").

Thank you for recognizing me Eric.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I got obliger.

I would love to see the correlation The Four Tendencies have with Allignments. A chaotic good Obliger would be way different than a chaotic good questioner.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Learning to recognize and accept my identity as a rebel.

example:
I know I'm supposed to practice clarinet. But I don't feel like it. I dunno what I'm waiting for.
My dad knows I'm supposed to practice clarinet. I block his voice out when my own when he tries to tell me to go practice - it irritates me to no end. And then I don't practice.
I'm also immune to reverse-psychology which is ugh.

But I'm not sanguine.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to your answers, your dominant Tendency is Rebel.

Rebels resist all expectations, outer and inner alike. They act from a sense of choice, from freedom. Rebels wake up and think, “What do I want to do today?”

They resist control, even self-control, and enjoy flouting rules and expectations. They sometimes frustrate others—and even themselves—because they resist any expectation, even one that’s self-imposed.

Rebels resist habits, but they can embrace habit-like behaviors by tying their actions to their choices and their identity.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
According to your answers, your dominant Tendency is Questioner.

Questioners question all expectations, and will meet an expectation only if they believe it’s justified, so in effect, they meet only inner expectations.

Once Questioners believe that a particular habit is worthwhile, they’ll stick to it—but only if they’re satisfied about the habit’s soundness and usefulness. They resist anything arbitrary or ineffective; they accept direction only from people they respect.

Questioners may exhaust themselves (and other people) with their relentless questioning, and they sometimes find it hard to act without perfect information.

If you’re thinking, “Well, right now I question the validity of the Four Tendencies framework,” yep, you’re probably a Questioner!

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ

Obligers respond readily to outer expectations, but struggle to meet inner expectations. In other words, they work hard not to let other people down, but they often let themselves down.

Obligers may find it difficult to form a habit, because often we undertake habits for our own benefit, and Obligers do things more easily for others than for themselves.