• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Four Tendancies

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Questioner.

Questioners question all expectations, and will meet an expectation only if they believe it’s justified, so in effect, they meet only inner expectations.

Once Questioners believe that a particular habit is worthwhile, they’ll stick to it—but only if they’re satisfied about the habit’s soundness and usefulness. They resist anything arbitrary or ineffective; they accept direction only from people they respect.

Questioners may exhaust themselves (and other people) with their relentless questioning, and they sometimes find it hard to act without perfect information.

I don't really agree. I would've thought Obliger, judging based on the descriptions in other people's responses.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
without perfect information

According to your answers, your dominant Tendency is
Upholder.​

Upholders respond readily to both outer and inner expectations: they meet deadlines and keep New Year’s resolutions without much struggle or supervision.

Upholders take great satisfaction from moving smoothly through their daily schedule and their to-do lists. They meet others’ expectations—and their expectations for themselves.

However, Upholders may feel uneasy when expectations aren’t clear, when they’re worried that they’re breaking the rules, or when they feel overwhelmed by expectations they seek to meet.

They enjoy habits, and form habits fairly easily.

NOTE: If the Upholder description doesn’t ring quite true to you, you may be an Obliger. Obligers often believe they’re Upholders, because both categories readily meet outer expectations. However, there’s a key difference. Upholders also meet inner expectations, while Obligers struggle to meet them. The key is: how easily do you meet an expectation to yourself? If that’s tough, you’re an Obliger.

According to your answers, your dominant Tendency is
Questioner.​

Questioners question all expectations, and will meet an expectation only if they believe it’s justified, so in effect, they meet only inner expectations.

Once Questioners believe that a particular habit is worthwhile, they’ll stick to it—but only if they’re satisfied about the habit’s soundness and usefulness. They resist anything arbitrary or ineffective; they accept direction only from people they respect.

Questioners may exhaust themselves (and other people) with their relentless questioning, and they sometimes find it hard to act without perfect information.

If you’re thinking, “Well, right now I question the validity of the Four Tendencies framework,” yep, you’re probably a Questioner!

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Obliger.

For me, creating external accountability does not really help form habits. I just have to really want to form the habit in order to follow through.

KitchenFly

Obliger: “I do what I have to do. I don’t want to let others down, but I may let myself down.”

Obligers may find it difficult to form a habit, because often we undertake habits for our own benefit, and Obligers do things more easily for others than for themselves.
For Obligers, the Strategy of Accountability is the crucial strategy of habit formation
• Consider yourself as a role model to children, employees, friends, and the like, to be an example of fulfilling commitments, showing respect for yourself, or modeling good behaviour

It's very true, at work or in my present and past work roles I have so were within my self an attitude a drive a learnt healthy had it formed that simply exist with out me thinking about it, it is a habit, I I consider my self as a role model or as an example by simply doing good work properly as expected via the criteria of the role I am preforming and I have in mind a standard of excellence that motivates me. I don't have to think about it it is an impression an understanding a reference point of knowing that provides me with a sense of security, but on the flip side I would tend towards the rebel especially if others Arn't pulling there wait or I feel some stress and am resentful because I associate the stress as being decades of an other or a group attitude.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Upholders: SJ
Obligers: NF
Questioners: NT
Rebels: SP

Adfectus

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I got Obliger

Obligers respond readily to outer expectations, but struggle to meet inner expectations. In other words, they work hard not to let other people down, but they often let themselves down.

Obligers may find it difficult to form a habit, because often we undertake habits for our own benefit, and Obligers do things more easily for others than for themselves.

For Obligers, the key to forming habits is to create external accountability.

Sounds about right lol

Upholders: SJ
Obligers: NF
Questioners: NT
Rebels: SP
So stereotypical but so true haha

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Rebel... and so much guilt associated with it.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I consider my self as a role model or as an example by simply doing good work properly as expected

As a fellow obliger, I hadn't considered the motivation of being a role model, and I realize there are some times external accountability has helped me form habits when viewed this way. For instance, I let my kids watch me pour soda down the drain and told them I wasn't going to drink it anymore because I knew it was important to me that they see me as someone consistent. Knowing they look up to me helped me stick with the new habit.

But I don't see myself as a role model for other adults, and I can think of a million habits I've had over the years that I wanted to change… losing weight, dragging my butt out of bed before I was 15 minutes late for everything, trying to read a certain amount every day, etc. … any time I've had adults try to check up on me and "keep me accountable" it's almost been annoying to me. I just don't care that much what they think of me, at least in those areas, so the habits never change unless I'm internally motivated somehow. It helps me to have "buddies" with the same goals, but no amount of tsk-tsking from other people really changes my mind. I suppose coming at it from the angle of respect, I might change a habit if I thought one of my peers did not respect me and I wanted to be respected. I guess maybe that's a form of external accountability.

On a different note, I was reading the rebel description and wondering what it means to tie your choices to your identity and how that helps.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I did this on the old thread and got Obliger, saw it coming from a mile away with my answers.