• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's Your Cultural Profile?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reference culture: Germany

Communication: 8/15 (slightly leaning towards high context), norm is 3.6/15
Evaluation: 9/15 (leaning towards indirect negative feedback), norm is 1.2/15
Persuading: 9/15 (leaning towards application), norm is 3.3/15
Leading: 10/15 (leaning towards hierarchical), norm is 9.15/15
Deciding: 10/15 (leaning towards top-down), norm is 4.2/15
Trusting: 7/15 (mostly neutral), norm is 3/15 (task-based)
Disagreeing: 8/15 (leaning towards conflict avoidance), norm is 1.35 (very direct)
Scheduling: 7/15 (mostly neutral), norm is 0.45 (extremely linear)

So to sum things up, I am more indirect and conflict avoidant than the very blunt and rigid culture around me and would be better fitted for some Asian cultures (especially since I slightly lean towards hierarchical structures and a top-down approach). Interesting.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
UK as reference culture:

Communication: 7/15 norm is 4.8/15
Evaluation: 9/15 norm is 7.8/15
Persuading: 8/15 norm is 11.4/15
Leading: 4/15 norm is 6.9/15
Deciding: 8/15 norm is 6.9/15
Trusting: 5/15 norm is 4.8/15
Disagreeing: 10/15 norm is 8.25
Scheduling: 7/15 norm is 4.5

In short Falcarius has about average for communicating content, deciding, and persuading. As well as preference for indirect negative feedback evaluating, task-based trust, avoids confrontation when disagreeing, and more egalitarian leading. The main diffidences is Falcarius is more egalitarian and flexible with scheduling than his culture.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You selected USA as your nationality. Observe where you fall on each of the eight scales:
Communicating:
0 is low context and 15 is high context.
USA: .45 out of 15
Me: 8 out of 15

Evaluating:
0 is direct and 15 is indirect.
USA: 6.75 out of 15
Me: 4 out of 15

Persuading:
0 is principles first and 15 is applications first.
USA: 14.25 out of 15
Me: 6 out of 15

Leading:
0 is egalitarian and 15 is hierarchical.
USA: 3.4 out of 15
Me: 3 out of 15

Deciding:
0 is consensual and 15 is top-down.
USA: 9.6 out of 15
Me: 5 out of 15

Trusting:
0 is task based and 15 is relationship based.
USA: .45 out of 15
Me: 7 out of 15

Disagreeing:
0 is confrontational and 15 is not.
USA: 6.6 out of 15
Me: 3 out of 15

Scheduling:
0 is linear and 15 is flexible.
USA: 3.3 out of 15
Me: 12 out of 15

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I chose Norway as my nationality as they didnt have Belgium and it would be interesting to see what challenges I can expect here in Norway on this.

Communicating Low-context - High-context
Norm: 5.1/15
Me: 7/15

...meaning I'll have to edit my responses a little to make them more concrete and clear.

Evaluating Direct negative feedback - Indirect negative feedback
Norm: 4.8/15
Me: 11/15

...meaning I'll have to be my direct in my feedback and expect to get very direct feedback myself. I tend to weigh my feedback against what the person seems to be able to take for now (unless I lose my patience/temper, or there is a time constraint of some sort), then parse it, in order to give the next bit of feedback once they've digested the first piece, and so on.

Persuading Principles-first - Applications-first
Norm: 8.4/15

...that seems about right. I prefer pure data before concluding the principle myself, though I like knowing the 'theme' of the pure data in order to keep my Ne from going wild.

Leading Egalitarian - Hierarchical
Norm: 0.6/15
Me: 5/15

...ahh...yeah. Ehm, Belgium tends to be hierarchal to the point that it literally gives me anxiety attacks. I'm still adjusting to the fact that it's totally ok over here to address your doctor with their first name :D

It was one of the things that got drilled into me in one of the job orientation classes I got over here, but the hierarchal concept has got deep roots in childhood, unfortunately.

Deciding Consensual - Top-down
Norm: 1.5/15
Me: 9/15

Interesting..ties in to the previous thing, for me. I love the idea of doing things by consensus, but am not used to it in practice. That said, consensus can make you roll your eyes through the roof as well, if it's not getting you anywhere (in Belgium this is what happens amongst peers as nobody has the leader position and everyone feels uncomfortable making any suggestions, let alone the decision itself.)

Trusting Task-based - Relationship-based
Norm: 2.4/15
Me: 12/15

I have a feeling I need to move to a southern country based on this :doh:
I really hate this, but it works for a germanic culture. Do an activity together, for weeks on end, then watch them finally start to talk to you. Sigh, such a waste of time, but oh well. Guess the only way to go about it is to really pick stuff that actually interests you, instead of focusing on the people that intrigue you. Sucks.

Disagreeing Confrontational - Avoids confrontation
Norm: 9.3/15

Otoh, this seems pretty much perfect :heart:

Scheduling Linear time - Flexible time
Norm: 3/15

....southern country once more :ninja:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a US citizen in the US.

Communicating:
USA: 0.45/15
Me: 6/15

Evaluating:
USA: 6.75/15
Me: 8/15

Persuading:
USA: 14.25/15

Leading:
USA: 3.6/15
Me: 12/15

Deciding:
USA: 9.6/15
Me: 13/15

Trusting:
USA: 0.45/15
Me: 4/15

Disagreeing:
USA: 6.6/15

Scheduling:
USA: 3.3/15

---------

8,8,8, 7? Perhaps I was giving excessively moderate answers.

I tried answering based on experience rather than ideals. I have to say, I don't feel like some of this is quite right. Particularly the trust thing. I think I would be more like the US norm. I don't know how I could have answered in a way that would make me seem less interested in personal relationships. :laugh:
Also surprised that I'm supposed so flexible. Not sure how that came up in my answers. I'm usually rigid if I have to coordinate with others.

Anyhow. The biggest discrepancy between me and the culture is leadership style. I am apparently way more hierarchical than the US norm. The next biggest is style of persuasion, where I'm a lot more interested in ground principles. Areas where I'm most similar is approach to disagreement followed by evaluation.
My most extreme score in absolute terms is being top down in decision making, on which I score 13. That's followed by being hierarchical in leadership, one which I score 12. the first is significantly above the US norm, the second is vastly above the US norm.

What should I make of this score overall? I don't feel like I have a clear, holistic picture of how this orients me toward my culture.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to see was the scores actually are for various national averages. And it'd be cool if there were a tool that found the national scores closest to yours.

EDIT: Oh god. the second sentence has two different rhymes in it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another who doesn't fit well with USA culture.

High context - 8/15

Indirect negative feedback - 10/15

Principles first - 6/15

Hierarchical - 8/15 *This surprised me, as I consider myself more egalitarian. But I'm less contrarian in person, and some of my answers had more to do with that. I wouldn't correct a boss in front of others, but neither would I do that to most people (in person).

Top-down - 11/15 *I think consensus wastes time, but neither am I top-down. I think specialization is more of what I prefer.

Task-based - 3/15 Only for work. I compartmentalize my personal life.

Avoid confrontations - 9/15 I actually prefer open disagreement, but my experience tells me others don't.

Flexible- 12/15

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This was interesting. Country: Singapore

Norm: 10.8/15

Norm: 10.2/15

Norm: The norm for your culture is not plotted here, because it is neither principles-first nor applications-first, but holistic.

Norm: 12.9/15

Norm: 10.8/15
Me: 10/15

Norm: 10.2/15
Me: 6/15

Norm: 9.3/15

Norm: 3.9/15

The parts where I get in trouble are those involving hierarchy, authority and "trust".

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't copy my answers, but I often wound up on the opposite side of the spectrum from others of my culture, which is the USA. Haven't lived there for almost a decade, though.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Communicating: [10 of 15] Norm [.45 of 15]

Evaluating: [10 of 15] Norm [6.75 of 15]

Persuading: [8 or 15] Norm [14.25 of 15]

Leading: [9 of 15] Norm [3.6 of 15]

Deciding: [9 of 15] Norm [9.6 of 15]

Trusting: [10 of 15] Norm [.45 of 15]

Disagreeing: [8 of 15] Norm [6.6 of 15]

Scheduling: [10 or 15] Norm [3.3 of 15]

julesiscools

MBTI Type
ISFP
You selected USA as your nationality. Observe where you fall on each of the eight scales:

Communicating
Norm:
0.45 out of 15
Me: 9 out of 15

Evaluating
Norm:
6.75 out of 15

Persuading
Norm:
14.25 out of 15

Leading
Norm:
3.6 out of 15

Deciding
Norm:
9.6 out of 15

Trusting
Norm:
0.45 out of 15
Me: 8 out of 15

Disagreeing
Norm:
6.6 out of 15

Scheduling
Norm:
3.3 out of 15
Me: 10 out of 15​

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Communicating
Norm: 0.45 out of 15
Me: 10 out of 15

Evaluating
Norm: 6.75 out of 15
Me: 5 out of 15

Persuading
Norm: 14.25 out of 15

Leading
Norm: 3.6 out of 15
Me: 10 out of 15

Deciding
Norm: 9.6 out of 15

Trusting
Norm: 0.45 out of 15

Disagreeing
Norm: 6.6 out of 15

Scheduling
Norm: 3.3 out of 15
Me: 11 out of 15

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm high context, direct, applications first, egalitarian, top down, relationship based, confrontational and flexible.

I think the way I most differ from American people is that I am not fond of linear scheduling and Im relationship rather than task based. That's factory, assembly line thinking. I also have high context communication. I'm also an FP though, so...the US is a TJ culture...I'm slightly more top down than the average American too because democracy only works correctly in a society where people are equally or near equally educated and there's no fake news, so a democracy is broken in a society where many who are either fundamentally ignorant or educated but rely on sensational yellow journalism exist. People like that drag the entire group down and can even endanger the lives of others, as we have recently observed.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of course there were no Slovaks so I chose the closest culture which I think is Polish.

Communicating:
12/15 -Me 6.3/15 - Poland
Evaluating: 12/15 - Me 3.9/15 - Poland
Persuading: 6/15 - Me 5.4/15- Poland
Leading 13/15 - Me 11.4/15 - Poland
Deciding: 7/15 - Me 11.4/15 - Poland
Trusting 12/15 Me 6.3/15 - Poland
Disagreeing 7/15 Me 3.9/15 Poland
Scheduling 11/15 Me 6/15 Poland

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've selected Brazil

Communicating: 6/15
Norm - 8.55/15
Lower context.

Evaluating: 5/15
Norm - 9.15/15
More direct in negative feedback.

Persuading: Right on the norm - 6/15

Leading: 8/15
Norm - 8.55/15
Slightly more egalitarian.

Deciding: 11/15
Norm - 8.55/15
More decisive.

Trusting: 8/15
Norm - 12.75 /15
More task-based.

Disagreeing: 6/15
Norm - 9.3/15
More confrontational.

Scheduling: 5/15
Norm - 11.55/15
Highly more scheduled.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You selected Finland as your nationality. Observe where you fall on each of the eight scales:

Norm: 5.1/15

Norm: 2.1/15
Me: 3/15

Norm: 8.4/15
Me: 15/15

Norm: 3.6/15

Norm: 3.9/15

Norm: 3/15

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
from USA

Communication: 6 of 15
Evaluating: 9 of 15
Persuading: 8 of 15
Leading: 12 of 15
Deciding: 11 of 15
Trusting: 12 of 15
Disagreeing: 7 of 15
Scheduling: 3 of 15

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Norm: 0.45/15

Norm: 6.75/15

Norm: 14.25/15
Me: 10/15

Norm: 9.6/15

Norm: 0.45/15

Norm: 6.6/15

Norm: 3.3/15
Me: 14/15

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Communicating. This scale measures the degree to which a culture prefers low- or high-context communication, a metric developed by anthropologist Edward Hall. In low-context cultures (such as the U.S., Germany, and the Netherlands), good communication is precise, simple, and explicit. Messages are expressed and understood at face value. Repetition and written confirmation are appreciated, for clarity’s sake. In high-context cultures (such as China, India, and France), communication is sophisticated, nuanced, and layered. Reading between the lines is expected. Less is put in writing, and more is left to interpretation.

Me: 4
My culture: 10.8

...Well, SHIT

Trusting. This scale balances task-based trust (from the head) with relationship-based trust (from the heart). In a task-based culture, such as the United States, the UK, or Germany, trust is built through work: We collaborate well, we like each other’s work, and we are fond of each other—so I trust you. In a relationship-based society, such as Brazil, China, or India, trust is built by weaving personal, affective connections: We have laughed together, have shared time relaxing together, and have come to know each other at a deep, personal level—so I trust you. Many scholars, such as Roy Chua and Michael Morris, have researched this topic.

...Trust based on task ftw. Honestly fuck my culture :))))

anyway, everything else is more or less aligned with my culture. interesting.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Communicating. This scale measures the degree to which a culture prefers low- or high-context communication, a metric developed by anthropologist Edward Hall. In low-context cultures (such as the U.S., Germany, and the Netherlands), good communication is precise, simple, and explicit. Messages are expressed and understood at face value. Repetition and written confirmation are appreciated, for clarity’s sake. In high-context cultures (such as China, India, and France), communication is sophisticated, nuanced, and layered. Reading between the lines is expected. Less is put in writing, and more is left to interpretation.

You scored 8/15 (Norm is 0.45)
You are more high-context than low-context.

Evaluating. Often confused with the Communicating scale, Evaluating measures something distinct: the relative preference for direct versus indirect criticism. The French, for example, are high-context communicators relative to Americans yet are much more direct with negative feedback. Spaniards and Mexicans are equally high-context communicators, but the Spanish are much more direct than Mexicans when it comes to giving negative feedback.

You scored 11/15 (Norm is 6.75)
You are more indirect negative feedback than direct negative feedback.

Persuading. This scale measures preference for principles-first versus applications-first arguments (sometimes described as deductive versus inductive reasoning). People from Germanic and southern European cultures usually find it more persuasive to lay out generally accepted principles before presenting an opinion or making a statement; American and British managers typically lead with opinions or factual observations, adding concepts later to explain as necessary.

You scored 8/15 (Norm is 14.25)
You are more applications-first than principles-first.

Leading. This scale gauges the degree of respect and deference shown to authority figures, on a spectrum between the egalitarian and the hierarchical. The former camp includes Scandinavia and Israel, whereas China, Russia, Nigeria, and Japan are more hierarchical. The metric builds on the concept of power distance, first researched by Geert Hofstede, who conducted 100,000 management surveys at IBM in the 1970s, and later researched by Robert House and Mansour Javidan in their GLOBE Study of 62 Societies.

You scored 11/15 (Norm is 3.6)
You are more hierarchical than egalitarian.

Deciding. We often assume that the most egalitarian cultures in the world are also the most consensual, and that the most hierarchical ones are those where the boss makes top-down decisions. That’s not always the case. The Japanese are strongly hierarchical but have one of the most consensual cultures in the world. Germans are more hierarchical than Americans but also more likely to make decisions through group consensus. This scale explores differences between building group agreement and relying on one person (usually the boss) to make decisions.

You scored 8/15 (Norm is 9.6)
You are more top-down than consensual.

Trusting. This scale balances task-based trust (from the head) with relationship-based trust (from the heart). In a task-based culture, such as the United States, the UK, or Germany, trust is built through work: We collaborate well, we like each other’s work, and we are fond of each other—so I trust you. In a relationship-based society, such as Brazil, China, or India, trust is built by weaving personal, affective connections: We have laughed together, have shared time relaxing together, and have come to know each other at a deep, personal level—so I trust you. Many scholars, such as Roy Chua and Michael Morris, have researched this topic.

You scored 8/15 (Norm is 0.45)
You are more relationship-based than task-based.

Disagreeing. Everyone knows that a little confrontation is healthy, right? The recent U.S. business literature certainly confirms that viewpoint, but different cultures have varying ideas about how productive it is. People in Indonesia, Japan, and Thailand view the public airing of disagreement very dimly, whereas those in Germany, France, and the Netherlands are quite comfortable with it. This scale measures how you view confrontation—whether you feel it is likely to improve group dynamics or to harm relationships within a team.

You scored 10/15 (Norm is 6.6)
You are more avoids confrontation than confrontational.

Scheduling. All businesses follow timetables, but in India, Brazil, and Italy, people treat a schedule as a suggestion. In Switzerland, Germany, and the U.S., people typically stick to the plan. This scale measures whether you view time as linear or flexible, depending on how much value you place on structure or adaptability. It is based on the monochronic/polychronic distinction formalized by Edward Hall.

You scored 4/15 (Norm is 3.3)
You are more linear time than flexible time.