• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Three Buddhist Temperaments

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I. If you nswered with A’s you’re the greed type. I answered with 3 A's.

II.If you nswered with B’s you’re the aversive type. I answered with 2 B's.

III. If you nswered with C’s you’re the deluded type. I answered with 5 C's. I am the C.

The deluded type has a natural ability to approach situations with a “beginner’s mind” – without assumption. This frame of mind gives rise to creativity, spontaneity, and equanimity. The task for this type is to learn how to reel in their minds and pay attention to find a place of balanced steadiness.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Interesting stuff... I must read more about Buddhist personality psychology. I got 4 b's, 3 a's and 3 c's. Aversion type. That feels right.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It was very close between B and C, but C won by 1. 5/4/1
But I must have deluded myself during the test. I'm definitely more a B than a C :p

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Cool link. Thanks for it!
I got Aversion, with a slight leaning toward Delusion.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
GREED

tenor.gif

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I basically got equal points an all three... Aversion > Delusion > Greed I guess.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Equal parts greed and delusion

HoneyBlossom

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I’m almost got all of them but I’m between aversion and delusion but the majority is delusion.

Lark

I didnt know there were three buddhist temperaments but it intrigues me, there are so many trinities in different theorists of the human psyche over recorded time, I think Erasmus had a tripartite version of the mind, Freud did too, spiritual and scientific writers alike seem to channel the same thing.

Melancholia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am a Theravada Buddhist and a Buddhist scholar. I have the mammoth text from which this assessment is derived.

This personality inventory is from the Vissuddhimagga by Buddhaghosa(a 5th Century Sri-Lankan monk.)

Interestingly, the Buddha never mentioned personality types. The validity of the Vissuddhimaga is a contentious issue: Buddhaghosa created this assessment and included non-Buddhist meditative practices in his work. Because of this, current Buddhist teachers do not reference Buddhaghosa's manual.

As for my temperament, I am a mixed aversive and greed temperament.

Quite frankly, the assessment in the Vissuddhimagga is much better.

I will scan Buddhaghosa's assessment and create a post if any are interested.

Each temperament has a wholesome counterpart.

I am delighted to see the dhamma on this forum!

May you all be happy :)

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Greed: 2
Aversive: 5
Deluded: 3

The aversive type has a natural discriminating wisdom and an ability to see the truth of a situation. This type has a comfort with difficulty and can unite opposing views with clarity, strength and integrity. The task for this type is to learn to let go of imperfections and appreciate moments of joy and spontaneity in everyday life.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never once answered the A option, wow
Anyway, I got deluded

The deluded temperament, becomes easily lost in uncertainty and confusion. This type will miss their alarm and wake up late, will eat messily, will feel scattered at work and will feel unsure of how to interact in groups, often copying what others are doing. This way of being can give rise to doubt, negligence, ignorance, inaction and anxiety.
The deluded type has a natural ability to approach situations with a “beginner’s mind” – without assumption. This frame of mind gives rise to creativity, spontaneity, and equanimity. The task for this type is to learn how to reel in their minds and pay attention to find a place of balanced steadiness.