• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The fifth temperament (Supine)

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Typically I've only seen Melancholic, Choleric, Sanguine, and Phlegmatic, but recently I stumbled across Supine. What is it? Why isn't this typically included with the four? I've always been Phleg/San or San/Phleg but reading Supine seems pretty spot-on.

Thoughts?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] is big on the temperaments (including supine). He has some links in his signature and many posts on the subject. I'm not sure if he's active enough to respond when mentioned.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been trying to get more active, in developing new simpler ways to describe the functions. (Also just reported a bug where the e-mail notifications aren't working).

Anyway, the original four temperaments were plotted on a matrix of the "temperature" and "texture", based on the "humors" and by extension, "elements" associated with them. "hot/cold" is "expressiveness" (I/E) and "moist/dry" is "responsiveness" (people vs task focus). Phlegmatic [water] was considered "cold/moist" or introverted and people-focused. (While Sanguine [blood/air] was hot and moist, Choleric [bile/fire] was hot and dry, and Melancholic [earth, and some substance considered "black bile"] was cold and dry]).
Forward to the 1980's, when a Christian Counseling couple, the Arno's, license the FIRO-B instrument (which uses scales of 0-9), and map the temperaments to it, they find that the Phlegmatic was actually moderate (4's and 5's) in the Expresssed and Wanted (responsive) scales. Therefore, low [0-3] expressiveness and high [6-9] responsiveness (the former "cold/moist" slot) was determined to be a previously unrecognized temperament, that went undetected for so long because of the low expressiveness (so they would look like Melancholies), yet having a high level of want from people, like a Sanguine. (The want then goes unrecognized and unmet, because of the fact that they don't express it like the outgoing Sanguine does).

Earlier modern temperament theorist Tim LaHaye apparently surmised certain Sanguines as being "passive", but did not recognize it as a separate temperament. Meanwhile, at one point much earlier, some critics were saying Phlegmatic was the lack of temperament. Basically, temperaments are driven in their expressive and responsive directions by emotional energies. Phlegmatic, being directly in the middle, did not have this, and this is what gave it its "sluggish" characteristic. (Which again, seemed "introverted" or "reserved" in comparison to Sanguine and Choleric, and people focused in comparison to Melancholy and Choleric, so it fit that position all those centuries).

So it really fit; with myself falling in the category in two of FIRO's three areas. Comparing it to type, I find that it fits the Behind the Scenes (ISF/INP) Interaction Style, and Phlegmatic does too, which can explain some variations in those types (like Phlegmatic INTP's being more of the typical "cool, aloof, unemotional, etc. while Supines will have more of an emotional energy, and to the point of possibly even confusing as Feelers).
Another area of temperament is represented by the Keirsey groups, where either Supine or Phlegmatic would be represented by NF. This too seems accurate, and many NF's who take four or five temperament tests will usually come up very strong in either. (Really, Phlegmatic should hypothetically be any Keirsey temperament or Interaction Style, but again, the classic characteristics fit the same position; jut a milder version or it).

Last edited:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a supine INTP. I look like a feeler to others sometimes.

KitchenFly

The Zero in this Image kinda reminds me of the Idea of the fifth temperament (Supine) a focus that takes in but fails to desire to assert. Or act upon. As if there is an act of Will at work, deliberately keeping separation between the three primary points. Point:9 from 3 & 6 or 6 & 3 from point:9 or from all nine points connecting with all nine points. It's an abstract idea.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/8759666_f260.jpg

And the Image of the four family groups in this link reminds me of the four temperaments.

The Prime Number Double Helix
The Prime Number Double Helix - Vortex Based Math

It's a new topic I am beginning to learn from scratch but it seems to have some connection to the Instinct or at least the diagrams showing the family group sets seems to at lest.

Anyway it's interesting stuff VBM and I thought it may fit in with the concept of a fifth temperament if there is a link between the four directions of the two triangles, (4-1-7 & 5-8-2).
[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] ,Thoughts?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe I may be of the Supine temperament, although I'd usually come up as Melancholic or Phlegmatic in the past.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Zero in this Image kinda reminds me of the Idea of the fifth temperament (Supine) a focus that takes in but fails to desire to assert. Or act upon. As if there is an act of Will at work, deliberately keeping separation between the three primary points. Point:9 from 3 & 6 or 6 & 3 from point:9 or from all nine points connecting with all nine points. It's an abstract idea.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/8759666_f260.jpg

And the Image of the four family groups in this link reminds me of the four temperaments.

The Prime Number Double Helix
The Prime Number Double Helix - Vortex Based Math

It's a new topic I am beginning to learn from scratch but it seems to have some connection to the Instinct or at least the diagrams showing the family group sets seems to at lest.

Anyway it's interesting stuff VBM and I thought it may fit in with the concept of a fifth temperament if there is a link between the four directions of the two triangles, (4-1-7 & 5-8-2).
[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] ,Thoughts?
I've never seen those before, and it most obviously appears to be based on Enneagram. I would say the most Supine enneatype is the 6, and 2 and 4 seem to be somewhat as well.
The most Melancholic would be 5 and 1 (and 4 to some extent as well), the most Phlegmatic the 9, the most Sanguine the 7, the most Choleric, the 8 (and 1 can seem Choleric in ways as well), and 3 a Choleric/Sanguine mix.
I've always said the Enneagram was like the five temperaments plus four blends of the five.

Is that "0" supposed to be some sort of new "null" type?

I believe I may be of the Supine temperament, although I'd usually come up as Melancholic or Phlegmatic in the past.
If you're EII (INFj or INFP), that would be the most Supine type, so it would make sense.

KitchenFly

I don't know a lot about it I have only been reading on that web sight for a few days, it is a new subject for me and a new interest.

This was in the Directory index on the first page of the first blog link. It's Phi , the way it spirals slowly around and to the circle of the enneagram and around reminded me of Supine in a kinda way.

http://api.ning.com/files/bsmQVYBkF...ls8cGo0E6f-LxBH2E-b0O0/PhiPiAndTheCircuit.jpg

It is at the bottom of the page on this link.
Geometric Construction - The Fingerprint Of God - Vortex Based Math

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Same here. Tests don't normally include supine as a possible result.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've never seen those before, and it most obviously appears to be based on Enneagram. I would say the most Supine enneatype is the 6, and 2 and 4 seem to be somewhat as well.
The most Melancholic would be 5 and 1 (and 4 to some extent as well), the most Phlegmatic the 9, the most Sanguine the 7, the most Choleric, the 8 (and 1 can seem Choleric in ways as well), and 3 a Choleric/Sanguine mix.
I've always said the Enneagram was like the five temperaments plus four blends of the five.

I guess that makes sense if you ignore the descriptions of the instinctual variants, at which point this assertion becomes entirely moot. Naranjo for example identifies three types of 6s: Prussian, counterphobic and phobic. Your notion of "supine" as correlated with 6 would fit the phobic variant, but less so the Prussian and not at all the counterphobic type. Just as an example.

I don't think there's any real correlation between the humors and the enneagram; it's too dependent on other factors. I would see a greater correlation between tritype than core types alone. I'm 845 and I find that melancholic-choleric fits me the best, but neither choleric nor melancholic as stand-alone.

EDIT
Read some general descriptions of the temperaments, and I see a blend of various types in all of them with emphasis on different parts that relate to one or more enneagram type. Melancholic sounds decidedly like an sp 4w5, perhaps 451 tritype, whereas choleric sounds like 83x so/sx or sx/so, most plausibly 837 tritype and so on.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Melancholic-Choleric makes sense for you, being INJ (Melancholic aka "Chart the Course") and NT (Which I believe is the real "Choleric" of the Keirsey groups). Each type therefore becomes a blend of the humors (in "affective and conative areas. And some types, such as ISTJ, are the same humor in both areas). And you have both 5 and and 8 in your tritype, so that seems to further fit a blend of those two!

Even though five temperament theory doesn't mention "phobic/counterphobic"; I believe there are evidences of it in the Supine temperament, which became even more support for the correlation. They may seem passive and docile, but can become very reactive (and even violent) when feeling used and unappreciated. They can also be swayed by others, into just about any behavior, and may become very "counterphobic". I've never heard of "Prussian" (the sites I had seen only mentioned phobic and counterphobic), but that too would fall into the realm of possible behaviors.
The main drive of the temperament is for others to bear responsibility. Once they do, then the person can become a strong, even dictatorial "leader".* (It's a bit different for me, because I have the Choleric in the area of Control, which is both naturally more aggressive, as well as not allowing others to take advantage as much).

*(This is something that should be taken into account in the endless debate over Hitler; ⦅still going on, over on PerC, in fact⦆. People say INFJ, which would be a Melancholy-Supine [INJ+NF], and in the FIRO version of the theory, this blend is described as a "foot-stomping dependent". They can become controlling and dictatorial, but this is really only a means of having someone take care of them. So we'd have to ask if that was really Hitler's goal. It doesn't look like it at all to me; it looks like he just wanted to rule the world, and simply used people's national concerns (faux-"Fe" behavior) to sway everyone else into his goal, which is what an unhealthy pure Choleric will often do).

I'm actually just coming to learn a bit more about instinctual variants. My first impression of them was that they perfectly matched FIRO's Inclusion/Control/Affection areas (which the old humor temperaments were mapped to, in the APS system), but then I saw that you could not stack a different type for each variant (I had said for me, it would correspond to a 6so8sp6sx, and figured it all just "mellowed out" to 5w6 or 6w5 or 5w4), so I just tuned it out for a while, but last weekend I was in a type meetup where they were discussing Enneagram, and someone explained to me my score of SpSx, and it made sense.

So I guess that will all shape things (like you said, "dependent on other factors"), and that's why I had pretty much backed off of making a hard correlation between temperament and Enneagram, but there does still seem to be at least a very loose correlation in places.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Melancholic-Choleric makes sense for you, being INJ (Melancholic aka "Chart the Course") and NT (Which I believe is the real "Choleric" of the Keirsey groups). Each type therefore becomes a blend of the humors (in "affective and conative areas. And some types, such as ISTJ, are the same humor in both areas). And you have both 5 and and 8 in your tritype, so that seems to further fit a blend of those two!

Even though five temperament theory doesn't mention "phobic/counterphobic"; I believe there are evidences of it in the Supine temperament, which became even more support for the correlation. They may seem passive and docile, but can become very reactive (and even violent) when feeling used and unappreciated. They can also be swayed by others, into just about any behavior, and may become very "counterphobic". I've never heard of "Prussian" (the sites I had seen only mentioned phobic and counterphobic), but that too would fall into the realm of possible behaviors.
The main drive of the temperament is for others to bear responsibility. Once they do, then the person can become a strong, even dictatorial "leader".* (It's a bit different for me, because I have the Choleric in the area of Control, which is both naturally more aggressive, as well as not allowing others to take advantage as much).

*(This is something that should be taken into account in the endless debate over Hitler; ⦅still going on, over on PerC, in fact⦆. People say INFJ, which would be a Melancholy-Supine [INJ+NF], and in the FIRO version of the theory, this blend is described as a "foot-stomping dependent". They can become controlling and dictatorial, but this is really only a means of having someone take care of them. So we'd have to ask if that was really Hitler's goal. It doesn't look like it at all to me; it looks like he just wanted to rule the world, and simply used people's national concerns (faux-"Fe" behavior) to sway everyone else into his goal, which is what an unhealthy pure Choleric will often do).

I'm actually just coming to learn a bit more about instinctual variants. My first impression of them was that they perfectly matched FIRO's Inclusion/Control/Affection areas (which the old humor temperaments were mapped to, in the APS system), but then I saw that you could not stack a different type for each variant (I had said for me, it would correspond to a 6so8sp6sx, and figured it all just "mellowed out" to 5w6 or 6w5 or 5w4), so I just tuned it out for a while, but last weekend I was in a type meetup where they were discussing Enneagram, and someone explained to me my score of SpSx, and it made sense.

So I guess that will all shape things (like you said, "dependent on other factors"), and that's why I had pretty much backed off of making a hard correlation between temperament and Enneagram, but there does still seem to be at least a very loose correlation in places.

To be honest, those "loose correlations" are more that no matter what personality system you are dealing with, they will attempt to map out the same basic archetypes. You can draw correlations between any system in this way, because they all attempt to map out the same fundamental aspects of human personality but do that in widely different ways and that's where they all differ in that they seek to emphasize or observe these aspects in ways unique to them. The labels are simply just names that distinguish them between the frameworks used, but the basic idea will by and large, remain the same. Pretty much every personality system accounts for introversion-extroversion as a main and primary dimension that separates people apart for example. I've yet to run into a system that does not note that some people are more outgoing and social and others more reserved and withdrawn. That is obviously just one very basic but very obvious example, though all the systems attempt to explain as to why this difference exists differently. Then the systems attempt to map out various aspects in more or less complexifying ways. Tritype is a much more distinct attempt to map out a specific personality archetype than the core types are as core types in a way are much more precise when it comes to your actual fears and motivations compared to tritype, but tritype covers a broader range of your personality and how that fits into various archetypes as opposed to the core type, though the core type too, is a reflection of given archetypes.

And Prussian is Naranjo's name for the social 6. It's a much more rigid kind of 6, more self-righteous and perfectionist and less emotionally expressive than the other styles. More oriented towards and ruled by the superego.

I am not going go into Hitler's type except that I think he is most definitely an INFJ, cognitively speaking. As to why he did the stuff he did and why, that will be up for debate until the end of time because we cannot directly ask him why. It becomes pointless mind exercise, imo. I think it is fallacious to claim that he has to be X type because of Y motivations; one has to look at his cognition, what kind of information he took in and how he used that information when reasoning. It becomes difficult to argue any other type than INFJ or in the very least, beta quadra, then, imo. INTJ he is not.

I also disagree with your assertion that NTs would be the true cholerics. ExTJs are very often choleric, and so are ESTPs. I also disagree with that I'm chart-the-course. I don't relate that much to that kind of leadership style. I relate more to in-charge, and I think Berens' interaction styles have a closer relationship with the enneagram than they do the cognitive types. Types such as 1, 3, 7 and 8 would be more likely to be in-charge for example, because all of these types are very focused on action and getting things going.

You should look into Viktor Gulenko's DCNH subtype system in socionics that I think overlaps a lot with Berens' communication styles, and you will see that he maps this very differently where thinks any type can be any interaction or subtype style, as it simply suggests what role we prefer in group interaction and project work.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The first part of what you said is what I believe. Personality can be summed up as “expressiveness” (how much we tend to approach others) and “responsiveness” (how much we want others to approach us). Expressiveness came to be embodied in I/E, and responsiveness is represented by several different factors in the various systems.
In systems such as Jung/MBTI and Enneagram,different matrices were created, but the same expressiveness and responsiveness can be extracted from the types. This is what subgroupings like Interaction Styles have done.

So if Prussian is something in addition to phobic and counterphobic, yet it's just regular instinctual variant, then Naranjo's theory does not recognize the other categories?

In the full temperament theory, its said that Cholerics (which Hitler is used as an example of, albeit a very unhealthy, extreme example) will mimick any behavior to sway people and attain their goals. That would include the apparent “cognitive”-related behaviors, on the surface.

The parallel I draw between the Keirsey groups and Interaction Styles shows why both ETJ's and ESTP would all be “Choleric”. EST and ENJ (aka “In Charge”) are the Choleric Interaction Style. ENTJis Choleric in both senses.
The INT's will seem less Choleric on the surface, because of the “reserved”-ness of the introversion. (Especially the INTP, who is also “informing” because of the NP). So their “Choleric” behavior still lies in the “pragmatism” and “structure focus” of the NT perpective. This is why you would identify as an In Charge! It's the “Choleric” of the NT! (And ENTP is also a Sanguine-Choleric blend, like ESTP is; only in the opposite areas from each other).

Therefore, I'm not big on the adding names, such as “In Charge” or “Chart the Course”, because they can lead to overgeneralization. That's why I like the old humour names. They don't convey the same sense of current meaning.
But since “charting the course” is basically a classic “Melancholy” trait, then it will more closely fit the ISTJ, who is Melancholy in both areas (IST+SJ. And you would think that term would be more of an Si thing anyway!) All CtC means for your type is that you are “Melancholy” in the sense of being introverted and “directive” (more task than people focused) in surface social interactions. I guess this Berens saw as still leading to “charting tha course” to some extent.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The first part of what you said is what I believe. Personality can be summed up as “expressiveness” (how much we tend to approach others) and “responsiveness” (how much we want others to approach us). Expressiveness came to be embodied in I/E, and responsiveness is represented by several different factors in the various systems.

In systems such as Jung/MBTI and Enneagram,different matrices were created, but the same expressiveness and responsiveness can be extracted from the types. This is what subgroupings like Interaction Styles have done.

Not sure I understand or overly care for making these kinds of distinctions. Archetypes are archetypes. The definitions matter less as opposed to that a pattern is recognized.

So if Prussian is something in addition to phobic and counterphobic, yet it's just regular instinctual variant, then Naranjo's theory does not recognize the other categories?

Naranjo and Beatrice Chestnut explain the instinctual variants for all the 9 types as strict behavioral tendencies or styles or subtypes for all the types (3x9), based on Ichazo's original observations of the instinctual variants though he was less concerned about understanding them as subtypes as much as he noted on specific areas of focal interest within the types e.g. calling the sexual 6 strength and beauty, because the sexual instinct is focus on impressing or attracting intimates, and when coupled with type 6 will manifest as the 6 focusing on trying to overcome their weaknesses by coming across as brave, courageous or strong. Naranjo later translated this with the terms phobic and counterphobic, where the phobic type would be sp and the counterphobic sx.

In the full temperament theory, its said that Cholerics (which Hitler is used as an example of, albeit a very unhealthy, extreme example) will mimick any behavior to sway people and attain their goals. That would include the apparent “cognitive”-related behaviors, on the surface.

Then why even have it as a specific distinct temperament? How do you know whether someone is choleric then, if it will always mimic that of other styles? Based on my historical understanding of Hitler, I don't think he was a choleric type either, but most probably melancholic at his core. He wanted to be an artist who went kind of nuts with the advent of WW I and how he was treated by the Jews and the Jewish community. Because of his mental health problems, I don't think one can truly type him in such a way anyway, because he would not behave or operate within the range of an average person because he never was except if one accounts for how he was like prior to his rise to power.

The parallel I draw between the Keirsey groups and Interaction Styles shows why both ETJ's and ESTP would all be “Choleric”. EST and ENJ (aka “In Charge”) are the Choleric Interaction Style. ENTJis Choleric in both senses.
The INT's will seem less Choleric on the surface, because of the “reserved”-ness of the introversion. (Especially the INTP, who is also “informing” because of the NP).

Based on my understanding of choleric, I wouldn't associate INxPs in general with the choleric trait, simply because INxPs are the least focused on Se style of interaction, which is direct and forceful, which is something INxPs shy away from.

So their “Choleric” behavior still lies in the “pragmatism” and “structure focus” of the NT perpective. This is why you would identify as an In Charge! It's the “Choleric” of the NT! (And ENTP is also a Sanguine-Choleric blend, like ESTP is; only in the opposite areas from each other).

I don't identify with in-charge because of the pragmatism and structure focus of being an NT seeing how I'm staunchly Ni first and not quite as Te even when compared to other INTJs and I rarely emphasize Te much, but I do because of the pragmatism and focus on action as a type 8. I don't identify as in-charge because I personally relate to the style, but I identify as in-charge because I think it best describes my actual interaction with other people and how I am in group projects. I very often take immediate and direct control of the group and the group project, especially if the current leadership is found to be incompetent, and begin to give out directives as to how we should best accomplish whatever we want to accomplish.

Therefore, I'm not big on the adding names, such as “In Charge” or “Chart the Course”, because they can lead to overgeneralization. That's why I like the old humour names. They don't convey the same sense of current meaning.
But since “charting the course” is basically a classic “Melancholy” trait, then it will more closely fit the ISTJ, who is Melancholy in both areas (IST+SJ. And you would think that term would be more of an Si thing anyway!) All CtC means for your type is that you are “Melancholy” in the sense of being introverted and “directive” (more task than people focused) in surface social interactions. I guess this Berens saw as still leading to “charting tha course” to some extent.

This doesn't make any sense to me at all, tbh. I don't even see the value in making these kinds of connections and associations, personally, as I think all these are very distinct ideas that don't neccessarily overlap in such a way. I don't see what makes chart-the-course melancholy for example. My girlfriend is an ESFP, she doesn't fit get-things-going at all but is more accurately depicted as chart-the-course. I just don't believe in that just because something is X type. She also happened to be a 6, that you associate with supine. I don't think she's supine at all as I see her best described as being of the Prussian style, though she's not a social variant either. This is the problem with behavioral correlations. They are that, but people take them to be causative and set in stone when they never truly are. People are too complex to ever fit the mold like that. The system should be shaped to be adopted to the people and how they are like, rather than making people fit into the boxes within the narrow confines of the system.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Naranjo and Beatrice Chestnut explain the instinctual variants for all the 9 types as strict behavioral tendencies or styles or subtypes for all the types (3x9), based on Ichazo's original observations of the instinctual variants though he was less concerned about understanding them as subtypes as much as he noted on specific areas of focal interest within the types e.g. calling the sexual 6 strength and beauty, because the sexual instinct is focus on impressing or attracting intimates, and when coupled with type 6 will manifest as the 6 focusing on trying to overcome their weaknesses by coming across as brave, courageous or strong. Naranjo later translated this with the terms phobic and counterphobic, where the phobic type would be sp and the counterphobic sx.
Was this done for any of the other types? 6 seems to be the only one I've seen that has those two special categories added (or maybe I did see others, and didn't realize it was the same thing).

Then why even have it as a specific distinct temperament? How do you know whether someone is choleric then, if it will always mimic that of other styles? Based on my historical understanding of Hitler, I don't think he was a choleric type either, but most probably melancholic at his core. He wanted to be an artist who went kind of nuts with the advent of WW I and how he was treated by the Jews and the Jewish community. Because of his mental health problems, I don't think one can truly type him in such a way anyway, because he would not behave or operate within the range of an average person because he never was except if one accounts for how he was like prior to his rise to power.
There are still ways to tell. Their behavior will ultimately be all about the goal, not about people, who are ends to a means. Like everyone says he "uses so much Fe", but Feeling is personal, and his solution was very IMpersonal; treating millions of people as objects to be eliminated. Him doing it for the sake of "the people" he identified with as his countrymen doesn't fit. Fe might be more localized (one's own group before outsiders), but it's still environmental (external), and ultimately seeking harmony; and the actual decision making as it related to the "others" does not fit that. What would fit is an impersonal Te agenda that used the countrymen as justification for a larger goal.

Though I would acknowledge him being possibly Melancholy or at least part Melancholy, or even nearly untypeable (which I think Jung himself even said).

Based on my understanding of choleric, I wouldn't associate INxPs in general with the choleric trait, simply because INxPs are the least focused on Se style of interaction, which is direct and forceful, which is something INxPs shy away from.
Well, you're associating Choleric with Se, which I don't, necessarily. One of the Se dom's, ESFP, is the Sanguine, not the Choleric. (Which is also aggressive, but the difference is that they do not hold on to the aggression as long).
Of course, Se will figure in the ESTP, and in tertiary form, for the ENJ's. For ESTJ, it will be the dominant Te (which is really the most "choleric" of the functions). For the NTP's (not NFP's), it will be less evident, but still lie in the pragmatism (classic "hot", or leading to another kind of "aggressiveness"), and structure focus (classic "dry", which adds a critical element).
I don't identify with in-charge because of the pragmatism and structure focus of being an NT seeing how I'm staunchly Ni first and not quite as Te even when compared to other INTJs and I rarely emphasize Te much, but I do because of the pragmatism and focus on action as a type 8. I don't identify as in-charge because I personally relate to the style, but I identify as in-charge because I think it best describes my actual interaction with other people and how I am in group projects. I very often take immediate and direct control of the group and the group project, especially if the current leadership is found to be incompetent, and begin to give out directives as to how we should best accomplish whatever we want to accomplish.
But the Ni and Te together is what makes an NT. So it is still connected. And no matter how much you may lean toward the dominant over the auxiliary, it is still there, and shapes the behavior of the type. With me, it's Ti and Ne, and both of those "softer" or even "airier" than Ni and Te (and this basically is the J/P distinction). I'm not as able to direct control of groups (and this is again, why the NTP's are the least Choleric-like of the seven Choleric types), but it does still come out in trying to direct in a more passive or indirect fashion. The common thread with either version of N+T is a sense of strong ideas of the way things should logically be, which we will then try in one way or another, to implement (hence, "pragmatism").

This doesn't make any sense to me at all, tbh. I don't even see the value in making these kinds of connections and associations, personally, as I think all these are very distinct ideas that don't neccessarily overlap in such a way. I don't see what makes chart-the-course melancholy for example. My girlfriend is an ESFP, she doesn't fit get-things-going at all but is more accurately depicted as chart-the-course. I just don't believe in that just because something is X type. She also happened to be a 6, that you associate with supine. I don't think she's supine at all as I see her best described as being of the Prussian style, though she's not a social variant either. This is the problem with behavioral correlations. They are that, but people take them to be causative and set in stone when they never truly are. People are too complex to ever fit the mold like that. The system should be shaped to be adopted to the people and how they are like, rather than making people fit into the boxes within the narrow confines of the system.
Again, that's why I'm not big on the new names. They are everyday [almost, at least] terms that anyone can do, and so you get something like what you describe. (And again; I've backed off largely from the Enneagram correlation, but and see there can be some cross-talk, so to speak like that ⦅Sanguine and Supine are close to each other, actually⦆. I wonder if she has a 7 wing, or 3 in her tritype, though).

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Yes, every type has three different subtypes resulting in 27 types.

2. I don't see that because he would still be ni dom and Feeling would therefore be serving that goal. Furthermore, the way he grouped and categorized people is really aristocratic in socionics, and beta aristocracy over gamma democracy. Gamma would be Te.

3. And I read a description and that's the correlation that I drew. You would have to offer a different definition or distinction that separates it from extroversion And sensation.

4. You are using a very subjective idea of pragmatism that fits your notion here which comes across as very circular since it seems as if you define it to fit the system. The colloquial definition of pragmatism is better attributed to all sensors over intuitives, or in the very least Te and is the most pragmatic when paired with s. The only people who think I'm pragmatic are NPS.

She's 5 wing with 3 in the tritype.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
•Did they come up with separate names for them, like they did with the 6's "phobic/counterphobic"?

•While I do associate Choleric with extroversion, I associate it with iNtuition, not Sensation. And it's not "extraverted iNtuition" (Except in the case of the ENTP), it's iNtuition and Thinking (in the conative area, "extroversion" is replaced by "pragmatic"), and on the social level (Interaction Style), it's extraversion and Thinking (for Sensors), or extraversion + Ni (ENJ). The "purest" Choleric being the ENTJ. The classic Choleric is very "abstract"-minded focusing on plans and concepts (which he uses to inform his actions), where the Sanguine and Melancholy are more focused on the tangible world.

•I'm using Keirsey's definition, which is "do what works" (as opposed to "do what's right"), and both the SP and NT are similar in that respect; differing in whether the tangible ("what is") or conceptual ("what could be") world is what they use to exploit the situation.
(If you say "pragmatic" is S, over N, then you're probably thinking of "what works" as regarding the tangible world only, but Keirsey's concept is "conative", meaning dealing with "action", and so one can be quick to take action from either an S or N perspective).

KitchenFly

Since the conversation has mentioned in passive reference señor Adolf Hitler several times throughout the thread and the Naranjo's three instinct theory for each of the nine point type energies, I thought I would shear these two diagrams that I am looking at as like maps that I am investigating in a context of seeking an understanding of the role of both the five triangles and the inner most triangle.

I am curious as wether there is a connection between the inner most triangle and (Thinking; Points: 4&5 , Sensing; Points: 7&8 , Feeling; Points: 1&2) and Think/Sense/Feel as Instinctual energies at the three primary point being Points 9 & 3 & 6.

I find it interesting to view these to diagram maps with señor Adolf Hitler in mind as a 1w9 Sp/So. In this context I can see or value the very inner most triangle as being for Adolf the (Supine) energy. If the five triangles are not being utilise via the heather levels of the humans capacity then I am thinking what manifests within the expression of these five zones of personification may be The Five Temperaments.

It is complex but surprisingly it seems to fit and reveal some primary shape of movement for Adolf Hitler as a 1w9 ,

sixprocesses.gif

The Sp/ energy component of the Sp/So seems to work as the smaller diagram at Point:1 and the /So energy component of the Sp/So seems to work as the small diagram at point:8.

trinums.gif

The number one in the inner triangle at the bottom seems to mimic a connection with Think at Point:9 at an instinctual level and thinking at Points four and five.

It is as if the 1 2 3 of the inner most triangle touches the Instinctual actions directly in a (SX for points 4 & 5 Thinking) , a (SO for points 7 & 8 Sensing) , a (SP for points 2 & 1 Feeling).

I see Adolf as being (Supine) within this inner triangle and because of this he was able to ignore via inner ideology believed and followed the natural messages of the Instincts at the Naranjo explained level of the Instinctual component of the enneagram. But the explanation and understanding of the science of the Instincts is larger and with greater diversity that Narangjo's fine model of the 27 Instincts variants.

There is more to be said because the operations of the triangles in the images go more that one way and each type with its own instinctual stack may have differing uses via temperament.

The 1 at the inner most triangle that touches Thinking and the 2 at the inner most triangle that touches Sensing and the 3 at the inner most triangle that touches Feeling seem to identify and pronounce the very venomous nature of the unchecked temperament of señor Adolf Hitler.

As for what triangles suites each of the other four temperaments I will leave that to those who can speak German and who have studied in depth the phycology of Mr Hitler. My self I did not like the man and so I have no interest in making a study of him. But I suspect there is an order to be found and I would be curious what Learned people may think of the (1 2 3) outer triangle at points: 9 and 6 and 3 , and how the outer triangle works with the inner most triangle.

Thoughts?