• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oldham's Personality Styles (correlation with MBTI)

Kas

Fabula rasa
I was looking for correlation of Oldham and MBTI types. I’ve found some information, but my guesses are a little bit different and so I thought that I could make inside statistic in the forum. And see if we could notice correlation and is it significant.

What do you think?
I’m asking for a little help in here. I found old thread where people were writing what their types are, but it is chaotic, people wrote different amount of types and some of them only after reading short descriptions. I think Oldham's test is a good one ( this is the one exception, the test typed me better than I did it myself at the beginning)so I would ask you to do it – you can find it here unless you have read “The New Personality Self-Portrait” and you know that the test is wrong about you, then I would just trust your better judgment. Then write me the results as three main styles (in order) here or if you prefer in PM.

If I get enough data I promise to make statistics and we’ll see what the results we got :)

At the end I’ll give you the introduction ( I know everything in the wrong order)
Oldham is a psychiatrist who developed personality system for healthy people based on the neurotic categories of the psychiatrist's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (the DSM). Due to Oldham our personality is comprised of 14 various styles and each of them has influence on our behavior( depending on how much they are developed in the individual). What’s more one style affects another. 14 styles are:
1.Adventurous
2.Aggressive
3.Conscientious
4.Devoted
5.Dramatic
6.Indiosyncratic
7.Leisurely
8.Mercurial
9.Sef- Confident
10.Self- Sacrificing
11.Sensitive
12.Serious
13.Solitary
14.Viligent

Kas

Fabula rasa
Ok, I better just post here what I found.

Oldham's Style Myers-Briggs Type Enneagram Type
Conscientious ENFJ 1
Sensitive INFJ 4w5
Vigilant ENFP 6w5
Dramatic INFP 4w3
Aggressive ENTJ 8
Idiosyncratic INTJ 5w4
Inventive ENTP 3w4
Solitary INTP 5w6
Leisurely ESTJ 9w8
Serious ISTJ 9w1
Self-Sacrificing ESFJ 2
Devoted ISFJ 6w7
Self-Confident ESTP 3w2
Adventurous ISTP 7w8
Mercurial ESFP 7w6
Artistic ISFP 7w6

or

Oldham's Style Myers-Briggs Types Primary Function
Adventurous xSTP (ESTP, ISTP) Extraverted Sensing
Aggressive ExTJ (ESTJ, ENTJ) Extraverted Thinking
Artistic xSFP (ESFP, ISFP) Extraverted Sensing
Conscientious xSTJ (ESTJ, ISTJ) Introverted Sensing
Devoted xSFJ (ESFJ, ISFJ) Extraverted Feeling
Dramatic ESFx (ESFJ, ESFP) Extraverted Feeling
Idiosyncratic INTx (INTJ, INTP) Introverted Intuition
Inventive ENxP (ENTP, ENFP) Extraverted Intuition
Leisurely IxFP (ISFP, INFP) Introverted Feeling
Mercurial ExFP (ESFP, ENFP) Extraverted Feeling
Self-Confident ExTP (ESTP, ENTP) Extraverted Thinking
Self-Sacrificing ExFJ (ESFJ, ENFJ) Extraverted Feeling
Sensitive INFx (INFJ, INFP) Introverted Feeling
Serious ISxJ (ISTJ, ISFJ) Introverted Sensing
Solitary IxTJ (ISTJ, INTJ) Introverted Thinking
Vigilant xNTJ (ENTJ, INTJ) Extraverted Intuition

from there

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't take the quiz linked on your webpage because .exe file, don't want to download, etc.

However, I found an alternative TEST that seems pretty thorough.

My results:
Vigilant types have a resilient independence. They keep their own counsel, need no outside reassurance or advice, make decisions easily, and can take care of themselves. Feisty individuals, they do not hesitate to stand up for themselves, especially when under attack. They take criticism very seriously but are not intimidated. They are keen observers of others and their surroundings and are quick to criticize what they see. They recognize when something is not right and can detect double messages and mixed motives. They are suited to city life (and to research, law, law enforcement, editing, and journalism), where hyper-alertness and questioning others' intentions is important. They prepare themselves for the worst, which may make them appear suspicious, but as a result, they are difficult to intimidate or fool. They are tough, independent survivors, often serving important roles as protectors and champions of the underdog and of causes in general.

In their personal relationships, they are slow to warm up and trust others, but once they do, they are devoted, loyal, and protective. Caution and reserve mark their work relationships as well. They need to feel independent and autonomous in all areas of their life. They often match well with partners or subordinates who are comfortable with dependence and who let them be in charge. Loss of control can cause them extreme stress. They have a tendency to blame others for what goes wrong, rather than accept that sometimes no one is at fault. They are survivors, though, and their resilient autonomy usually sees them through the rough spots.

Mercurial types live life on a roller-coaster of emotional peaks and valleys. Emotionally active and reactive, they put their hearts into everything. They are driven by feelings. They hold nothing back and take nothing lightly, especially when it comes to other people.

Mercurial individuals must always be deeply involved in a romantic relationship with one person. They experience a passionate, focused attachment in all their relationships . There is no style more romantic; they idolize and idealize their lovers but have a hard time accepting the imperfections that cause their one-and-only to fall off the pedestal, so their disappointment is profound. They never compromise their feelings, so a calm quiet life with a 'regular' person is probably out of the question.

Mercurial people are spontaneous, fun-loving, and self-indulgent. They throw themselves into their passions, which can cause problems in the absence of balancing self-disciplined styles (such as Conscientious). They are imaginative and curious, willing to experience and experiment with other cultures, roles, and value systems. They are skilled at distancing themselves from reality when it is painful. They can jump into new lifestyles easily but may have difficulty defining their own identity.

At work, these individuals can be bright, enthusiastic, and creative. They become intensely involved with their coworkers and take everything that happens in work relationships personally. They work hard to please the boss, whom they often idolize, but they need recognition and rewards to keep up the good work.

Dramatic types live in an emotional world. They are sensation-oriented, emotionally demonstrative, and physically affectionate. They react emotionally to events and can shift moods quickly. They're 'heart' people rather than 'head' people. They overflow with feeling and zest. They are spontaneous and love excitement, attention, applause, and emotion. They experience life vividly and expansively and have rich imaginations and entertaining stories to tell.

Highly social, they are often happiest when the atmosphere is highly charged and all eyes are on them. They pay close attention to grooming and enjoy clothes, style, and fashion. Dramatic people energize and charm others. Many have profound intuition about other people's feelings. Because they are other-directed, their self-esteem may balance on how other people respond to them.

Dramatic individuals enjoy their sexuality. They are seductive, engaging, and charming. Easily putting their trust in others and characteristically suggestible, they are able to become quickly involved in relationships. They demand a lot of energy from their partners and from subordinates at work. They have a low tolerance for boredom, which can lead to difficulties settling into a relationship or into jobs that do not present continual stimulation.

Life with Dramatic people can be stormy, considering their strong and immediate emotional reactions. Nonetheless, they frequently are attracted to dry, stable Conscientious types who provide necessary balance to their lives (and to whose lives they can bring some excitement). Conscientious partners will need to learn how to compliment and to say, 'I love you,' since Dramatic people lose confidence when they don't receive feedback.

Trouble in a relationship is a major blow to self-esteem, as is being without a partner or lover. To cope with stress and anxiety, Dramatic types like to look on the bright side, to repress the unpleasant and to sustain an optimistic outlook.

These are not detail people, but they are often highly creative, idea types, sometimes brilliant in their hunches. They can be good at persuading others to back their projects and often make strong managers. However, they do best at work and in their personal lives if they can find others who are better at the tedious follow-through.

Leisurely types believe in their right to enjoy themselves on their own terms. They do not allow themselves to be exploited. Unlike Type-A individuals, Leisurely types are not obsessed with time urgency. To them, haste makes waste and unnecessary anxiety. They are easygoing and optimistic that whatever needs to get done will get done, eventually. They accept themselves and their approach to life and believe they are just as good as everyone else and entitled to the best things in life. They maintain that blind luck often accounts for who fares well or poorly.

Leisurely types proceed in their own direction and, when their choices put them in conflict with the people they care for, they often do not know how to proceed. While they do not like to risk important relationships, they need to feel free.

The freedom to be oneself is key to Leisurely types. They play by the rules and fulfill their responsibilities and obligations. But once they've put in their time, nothing will deprive them of their personal pursuit of happiness. What's important to them is not how they choose to enjoy themselves but that they are guaranteed this opportunity. If threatened, these normally nonchalant individuals will vigorously defend their right to do their own thing.

Unless they are in the creative arts or intellectual pursuits, most Leisurely people do not get personal pleasure from their work. They put in their time but are usually not the hard-driving, get-ahead types. They love their leisure time and know how to enjoy it. Unless they have a work-oriented style that balances their Leisurely tendencies (e.g., Conscientious or Self-Confident), they rarely become managers or leaders because they simply aren't interested in getting ahead. At home, Leisurely people tend to do things they enjoy and may put off tasks, such as paying the bills or washing the dishes, which may put a burden on other family members. As well, Leisurely types generally avoid confrontations (unless they feel that their rights have been violated). They prefer indirect resistance.

They have a great ability to enjoy themselves and can lead extremely satisfying lives if they can be free to seek their own pleasures, in their own time, in their own way.

I would say I'm a pretty even blend of vigilant and mercurial with a splash of leisurely. Dramatic, not so much, or rather, only the qualities that overlap with mercurial.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
My results:

Leisurely types believe in their right to enjoy themselves on their own terms. They do not allow themselves to be exploited. Unlike Type-A individuals, Leisurely types are not obsessed with time urgency. To them, haste makes waste and unnecessary anxiety. They are easygoing and optimistic that whatever needs to get done will get done, eventually. They accept themselves and their approach to life and believe they are just as good as everyone else and entitled to the best things in life. They maintain that blind luck often accounts for who fares well or poorly.

Leisurely types proceed in their own direction and, when their choices put them in conflict with the people they care for, they often do not know how to proceed. While they do not like to risk important relationships, they need to feel free.

The freedom to be oneself is key to Leisurely types. They play by the rules and fulfill their responsibilities and obligations. But once they've put in their time, nothing will deprive them of their personal pursuit of happiness. What's important to them is not how they choose to enjoy themselves but that they are guaranteed this opportunity. If threatened, these normally nonchalant individuals will vigorously defend their right to do their own thing.

Unless they are in the creative arts or intellectual pursuits, most Leisurely people do not get personal pleasure from their work. They put in their time but are usually not the hard-driving, get-ahead types. They love their leisure time and know how to enjoy it. Unless they have a work-oriented style that balances their Leisurely tendencies (e.g., Conscientious or Self-Confident), they rarely become managers or leaders because they simply aren't interested in getting ahead. At home, Leisurely people tend to do things they enjoy and may put off tasks, such as paying the bills or washing the dishes, which may put a burden on other family members. As well, Leisurely types generally avoid confrontations (unless they feel that their rights have been violated). They prefer indirect resistance.

They have a great ability to enjoy themselves and can lead extremely satisfying lives if they can be free to seek their own pleasures, in their own time, in their own way.

Mercurial types live life on a roller-coaster of emotional peaks and valleys. Emotionally active and reactive, they put their hearts into everything. They are driven by feelings. They hold nothing back and take nothing lightly, especially when it comes to other people.

Mercurial individuals must always be deeply involved in a romantic relationship with one person. They experience a passionate, focused attachment in all their relationships . There is no style more romantic; they idolize and idealize their lovers but have a hard time accepting the imperfections that cause their one-and-only to fall off the pedestal, so their disappointment is profound. They never compromise their feelings, so a calm quiet life with a 'regular' person is probably out of the question.

Mercurial people are spontaneous, fun-loving, and self-indulgent. They throw themselves into their passions, which can cause problems in the absence of balancing self-disciplined styles (such as Conscientious). They are imaginative and curious, willing to experience and experiment with other cultures, roles, and value systems. They are skilled at distancing themselves from reality when it is painful. They can jump into new lifestyles easily but may have difficulty defining their own identity.

At work, these individuals can be bright, enthusiastic, and creative. They become intensely involved with their coworkers and take everything that happens in work relationships personally. They work hard to please the boss, whom they often idolize, but they need recognition and rewards to keep up the good work.

Self-Confident types believe in themselves and in their abilities. They have no doubt that they are unique and special and expect others to treat them well at all times. They are unabashedly open about their aspirations and possibilities. They energetically and effectively sell themselves and their goals, so their goals are often achieved. They are able to take advantage of the strengths and abilities of other people to meet their goals and are shrewd in their dealings with others. They have a keen awareness of their own thoughts and feelings.

They often visualize themselves as the hero, star, or most accomplished in their field and accept compliments and admiration gracefully. Self-Confident types have a real talent for leadership and a genuine need to be in charge. They thrive when they are in a position to influence others. They are innately competitive and love status, image, and power. They like to be the attention-getters on the team or in the family. They are extroverted and good at politics. They love getting to the top and enjoy staying there. They identify well with people of high rank and status. They make excellent managers, skilled at delegating, building a motivated team, and rewarding loyalty. But they do not appreciate competition from their subordinates or attempts to share the limelight. They hate being criticized, even if justified. It may not seem to affect them outwardly but inwardly they react powerfully.

They are extremely good at accepting love and admiration but tend to be unaware of the needs of other people. They are so engaged in their own agenda they ignore what is happening to the people around them. They do have a conscience, though; it is political. If they understand they cannot remain on top without being more attentive to those below them, they will make a real effort to be more considerate.

In their personal lives, this lack of attention to others can carry big consequences. They must be reminded occasionally that their spouse or children have individual needs and feelings quite different from their own. Self-Confident people are prone to believe that the people they care about are just like them. Although they may appear selfish and oblivious to others, Self-Confident individuals take rejection very hard. As in their work life, the threat of losing position and importance will often motivate them to work on the relationship before it's too late.

This can be a very strong style, marking individuals who believe they have a purpose on the planet and the strength to discover it. They tend to be successful because they weather the frustrations and doubts that make other people quit along the way.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's more like:
Leisurely>Vigilant>Idiosyncratic>Serious

Kas

Fabula rasa
Thanks [MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION] , I didn't find it before. That's the very same test:)

I agree that Mercurial and Dramatic styles have similar traits- they're both active and emotional (so maybe that's the reason of results). On the other hand the dramatic type is on many levels contrary to Vigilant (while Dramatic enjoys being in centre of attention and easily engage, the Vigilant is rather self-defensive and observant) so as the types influence each other the Dramatic could balance some behaviours of Vigilant and emphasize some of Mercurial.

Anyway I'll add the most characteristic traits of Vigilant style for you :)
1. Autonomy. Vigilant-style individuals possess a resilient independence. They keep their own counsel, they require no outside reassurance or advice, they make decisions easily, and they can take care of themselves.
2. Caution. They are careful in their dealings with others, preferring to size up a person before entering into a relationship.
3. Perceptiveness. They are good listeners, with an ear for subtlety, tone, and multiple levels of communication.
4. Self-defense. Individuals with Vigilant style are feisty and do not hesitate to stand up for themselves, especially when they are under attack.
5. Alertness to criticism. They take criticism very seriously, without becoming intimidated.
6. Fidelity. They place a high premium on fidelity and loyalty. They work hard to earn it, and they never take it for granted.

and interests:
- letting nothing escape your notice
- being aware of your environment
- being a survivor
- scanning the people and situations around you
- being aware of mixed messages, hidden motivations, evasions and subtle distortions of the truth
- assuming the roles of social critic, watchdog, ombudsman, and crusader

And there is Leisurely [MENTION=21639]Kullervo[/MENTION] [MENTION=22089]Corsiva[/MENTION]
characteristic traits:
1. Inalienable rights. Leisurely men and women believe in their right to enjoy themselves on their own terms in their own time. They value and protect their comfort, their free time, and their individual pursuit of happiness.
2. Enough is enough. They agree to play by the rules. They deliver what is expected of them and no more. They expect others to recognize and respect that limit.
3. The right to resist. Leisurely individuals cannot be exploited. They can comfortably resist acceding to demands that they deem unreasonable or above and beyond the call of duty.
4. Mañana. Leisurely men and women are relaxed about time. Unlike Type-A individuals, they are not obsessed by time urgency or the demands of the clock. To these individuals, haste makes waste and unnecessary anxiety. They are easygoing and optimistic that whatever needs to get done will get done, eventually.
5. I'm okay. They are not overawed by authority. They accept themselves and their approach to life.
6. Wheel of fortune. Leisurely people believe that they are just as good as everyone else and as entitled to the best things in life. They maintain that blind luck often accounts for who fares well and who fares poorly.
7. Mixed feelings. Although they feel impelled to proceed in their own direction, when their choices put them in conflict with the people they care for, Leisurely people are often of two minds about how to proceed. They do not like to risk important relationships, yet they need to feel free.

and interests:
- playing by the rules
- fulfilling your responsibilities and obligations
- letting no one deprive you of your personal pursuit of happiness
- finding your happiness through creative pursuits
- being guaranteed the opportunity to enjoy yourself
- defending your right to do your "own thing"

Kas

Fabula rasa
I forgot, I'm Sensitive- Mercurial- Serious

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Solitary = Serious > Self-Sacrificing.

The Solitary type works the best for me. The Self-Sacrificing type doesn't sound like a very good thing to be, but I'm biased by my direction of disintegration.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm definitely a blend of Dramatic or Mercurial. :thinking: Not sure which one is dominant. Dramatic seems a little too flamboyant at times, while Mercurial a little too committed. Dramatic probably wins out though. :happy2:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
[MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION] - I am likely ISTJ and for the descriptions it gave me...

1. Sensitive
2. Solitary
3. Serious

However, in the graph, it shows that I scored far higher in serious than solitary, so I'm not sure what's up with that. The graph says...

1. Sensitive
2. Serious
3. Solitary
4. Vigilant

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm definitely a blend of Dramatic or Mercurial. :thinking: Not sure which one is dominant. Dramatic seems a little too flamboyant at times, while Mercurial a little too committed. Dramatic probably wins out though. :happy2:

I would say definitely dramatic for you and look into adventurous too, maybe.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like this. This describes me more so than any other typology systems.

My last self-typing was ENTJ Ni-LIE 3w4 sp/sx. Others might disagree though.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
[MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION] - Is there a way to view each description without taking the test a million times? It only gave me 3 descriptions.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION] - Is there a way to view each description without taking the test a million times? It only gave me 3 descriptions.

I got the descriptions from the link in the OP, which is more or less the same thing.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was looking for correlation of Oldham and MBTI types. I’ve found some information, but my guesses are a little bit different and so I thought that I could make inside statistic in the forum. And see if we could notice correlation and is it significant.

What do you think?
I’m asking for a little help in here. I found old thread where people were writing what their types are, but it is chaotic, people wrote different amount of types and some of them only after reading short descriptions. I think Oldham's test is a good one ( this is the one exception, the test typed me better than I did it myself at the beginning)so I would ask you to do it – you can find it here unless you have read “The New Personality Self-Portrait” and you know that the test is wrong about you, then I would just trust your better judgment. Then write me the results as three main styles (in order) here or if you prefer in PM.

If I get enough data I promise to make statistics and we’ll see what the results we got :)

At the end I’ll give you the introduction ( I know everything in the wrong order)
Oldham is a psychiatrist who developed personality system for healthy people based on the neurotic categories of the psychiatrist's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (the DSM). Due to Oldham our personality is comprised of 14 various styles and each of them has influence on our behavior( depending on how much they are developed in the individual). What’s more one style affects another. 14 styles are:
1.Adventurous
2.Aggressive
3.Conscientious
4.Devoted
5.Dramatic
6.Indiosyncratic
7.Leisurely
8.Mercurial
9.Sef- Confident
10.Self- Sacrificing
11.Sensitive
12.Serious
13.Solitary
14.Viligent

I did this before and got sensitive.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I did this before and got sensitive.

I was expecting that you would get that actually.

Do you identify with this aspect of the sensitive type?
Familiarity: Individuals with the Sensitive personality style prefer the known to the unknown. They are comfortable with, even inspired by, habit, repetition, and routine.
?

[MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION] - I am likely ISTJ and for the descriptions it gave me...

1. Sensitive
2. Solitary
3. Serious

However, in the graph, it shows that I scored far higher in serious than solitary, so I'm not sure what's up with that. The graph says...

1. Sensitive
2. Serious
3. Solitary
4. Vigilant

This is pretty much what I thought for myself, too. I didn't take the test, I just read the descriptions. There were a few others that I thought sorta fit, but once I got to sensitive I was like "yep, this is me", and then I kept reading the others and was like "oh, yes these are fairly accurate too".

Must be an ISTJ thing.

Violets7

Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sensitive types prefer the known to the unknown. They are comfortable with habit, repetition, and routine. They care deeply about what other people think and behave with deliberate discretion in their dealings with others. They do not make hasty judgments or jump in before they know what is appropriate. They maintain a courteous, self-restrained demeanor. They function best in scripted settings where they know precisely what is expected of them. Sensitive men and women are not quick to share their innermost thoughts and feelings with others, even those they know well.

Sensitive people are private and territorial. They're nesters, bonding closely with family and coworkers and forming lasting friendships with a favored few. Among strangers, however, they rarely feel themselves. Even well into new relationships, they may find it difficult to be who they are. Yet they can operate impressively when they know exactly what is expected of them. For example, many journalists with Sensitive style can interview celebrities forcefully and effectively, yet experience difficulty talking to such individuals if they are introduced socially.

Some highly Sensitive people are prone to fears and phobias. Others feel anxious, tense, or vaguely uneasy until they can get back to their familiar habits or roles. Uncomfortable or not, they can maintain a polite reserve around strangers and may come off as rather cool. This effectively masks their anxieties but often makes them seem haughty and unapproachable.

They are quite free in their imaginations and are often capable of great inventiveness and creativity. They can occupy themselves quite comfortably when alone, as long as they have a family, partner, or close friends with whom they know they will soon see.

They thrive at work, especially in structured settings. They're thorough, dedicated, competent, and loyal to coworkers and try hard to earn respect.

Stress for this personality style comes from having to brave the unfamiliar on their own. Although some react by restricting their worlds and limiting their risks, many adapt by relying on close companions to accompany or protect them. Others respond by becoming counterphobic--attempting to conquer the anxiety by confronting the challenge again and again. Criticism also causes stress for the Sensitive person. They care greatly about how people react to them, although their reserve might prevent others from realizing this.

Idiosyncratic types are tuned in to and sustained by their own feelings and belief systems, whether or not others accept or understand their particular worldview or approach to life. They are self-directed and independent, requiring few close relationships. Though they are inner-directed and follow their own hearts and minds, Idiosyncratic men and women are keen observers of others and particularly sensitive to how other people react to them.

They tend to question common beliefs and expectations. They are highly spiritual and do not close their minds to any possibility, always asking what if?' They tend to have a deep inner life, act eccentrically, and live in their own world. They may be interested in the occult or the supernatural and are drawn to abstract and speculative thinking.

Fitting into everyday, conventional life can be difficult for Idiosyncratic people. Others may view them as strange, which can be a problem in jobs and relationships. They must live life their own way and sometimes regret they cannot do things in the orthodox fashion. The pressure to conform presents intolerable stress for them. Two key factors affect the quality of Idiosyncratic lives: whether they can find an accepting environment and how well they adapt to others' expectations. Few work settings tolerate eccentricities of behavior, unless the individual has a great deal to offer by way of intelligence or talent. Some Idiosyncratics do well with one ear tuned in to their own personal worlds and one outward to what the boss expects of them. Others, however, have a hard time understanding or accepting authority.

Idiosyncratic people do not need other people to give their lives direction or meaning. If they can't find partners who accept their unconventionality, they usually do well on their own. Some are content to experience several relationships in their lives without necessarily finding their one and only.

Serious types are solemn and not given to emotional expression. They are realistically aware of their own capabilities but they are also aware of their limitations. They are not tempted by vanity or self-importance. They hold themselves responsible for their actions. They=re thinkers, analyzers, evaluators, ruminators and will always play things over in their minds before they acting.

Serious individuals anticipate problems and when the worst happens, they=re prepared to deal with it. Serious individuals are realists. They see the hard, harsh nature of life clearly. They have no illusions and are incapable of imagining a silver lining. They are no-nonsense people particularly suited to hard times, when their ability to push on can help everyone to survive. They always work hard and provide for others without any sense of heroism or pride in their efforts.

Even though they can seem joyless, Serious types are not necessarily unhappy. They take great satisfaction in their view of the universe. They are interested in serious subjects, which they find reassuring, and they find no need to escape into pleasure. Serious people are intensely hard workers, dependable, and trustworthy. They persevere whether or not they are enthusiastic or well rewarded. This can make it all too easy for employers to take advantage of them. They do not expect encouragement or to be treated well by others.

Although they are not socially outgoing, once they do connect with others they form very stable, long-term attachments. They tolerate the rough spots in relationships well. They are as critical of others as they are of themselves, but their fault-finding gives them no pleasure. They deeply regret causing any pain . Others who continually insist that they change into optimistic outgoing, happy-go-lucky people cause them great stress but their characteristic cynicism helps them to cope.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was expecting that you would get that actually.

Do you identify with this aspect of the sensitive type??

This is pretty much what I thought for myself, too. I didn't take the test, I just read the descriptions. There were a few others that I thought sorta fit, but once I got to sensitive I was like "yep, this is me", and then I kept reading the others and was like "oh, yes these are fairly accurate too".

Must be an ISTJ thing.

Oh, this test gives 3 results. The one I took just gave 1.
To answer your question, yes, I find great poetry and inspiration for sketches in the everyday happenings I encounter, and yes, the known is always more comfortable than the unknown.

--

Sensitive, as expected, was off the charts. Next was self-sacrificing and idiosyncratic, each with half the influence of sensitive. Next, was devoted and serious, each at half the level of self-sacrificing. The rest were pretty much 0.

Last edited: