• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oldham's Personality Styles (correlation with MBTI)

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1. Sensitive
2. Solitary
3. Conscientious

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does that combination fit you?

It seems fine.

The test I took didn't have Exuberant and Inventive. If it had them, Inventive would've ranked higher than Idiosyncratic. I'd place Serious at a lower ranking. Aside from those things, the results seem fine.

Conscientious probably seems like the odd one out. I'm lazier than everyone I know. Chores take me an inordinate amount of time because I get bored and distracted. However, when it comes to my work and hobbies, I'm methodical and focused. I like to make sure there aren't errors, and I have a strong idea of how things should be. I get frustrated with people who do sloppy work. That's probably why I get AIC in Holland codes and 1 as my gut fix. There's a real finicky part of me, and in the context of work I'm a diligent person.

Was there something off about the combination?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Dramatic > Devoted > Leisurely > Serious

Meh. I don't really agree. Doing more research on this, I am most definitely Idiosyncratic, followed by Leisurely. That combination describes me very well (almost uncannily so) and seems to mesh with my Fi and type 4. :)

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Sensitive
2. Serious
3. Self-Sacrificing
4. Dramatic
BTW all of this stuff fits with DSM-III psychiatry diagnozis system... For example those people with sensitive personality style are most prone to avoidant personality disorder, serious stands for depressive dissorder and so on... You can find it here: http://npsp25.com/npsp2.php

Kas

Fabula rasa
Many responses, I like that.

[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] – Dramatic and Mercurial is very “life of the party” combination. It doesn’t surprise me. Maybe you can do the test or at least write which other styles you see as supporting styles?

[MENTION=17945]Nixie[/MENTION] I don’t know about it, I think that Self-Sacrificing can be both good or bad thing as all of them. Depends how it develops…

I like this. This describes me more so than any other typology systems.
I think it is good together with MBTI. It is about different part of personality, more behavioral. And describes me very accurate too :)

This is pretty much what I thought for myself, too. I didn't take the test, I just read the descriptions. There were a few others that I thought sorta fit, but once I got to sensitive I was like "yep, this is me", and then I kept reading the others and was like "oh, yes these are fairly accurate too".

Must be an ISTJ thing.

The two ISTJ I know well enough to type- one is Conscientious- Sensitive- Serious (last I’m not sure) and the second I would type (just assumption) as Vigilant- Sensitive-Solitary; so you may have a point. Although I would see ISFPs as Sensitive too.

BTW all of this stuff fits with DSM-III psychiatry diagnozis system... For example those people with sensitive personality style are most prone to avoidant personality disorder, serious stands for depressive dissorder and so on... You can find it here: http://npsp25.com/npsp2.php
Yes, that’s exactly what the system is based on. Thanks to that it works on two levels. One is better understanding yourself and your surrounding and the other is using it in medicine, being alert to what disorder is one more prone to. I like the practical value.

The test I took didn't have Exuberant and Inventive. If it had them, Inventive would've ranked higher than Idiosyncratic. I'd place Serious at a lower ranking. Aside from those things, the results seem fine.
Exuberant and Inventive are not really Oldham styles. They were added later by Kelly. But honestly they seems to be put there by forse to me.The Inventive is suppose to relate with compensatory narcissistic disorder ( so it’s like subtype of Self- Confident) and Exuberant or Artistic with cyclothymic (so it’s like subtype of Mercurial). And I don’t understand artistic inclinations, intelligence or cleverness as a charakter traits. Maybe in different system, but it doesn’t fit this one. That’s why I’m using orginal one.

Sorry if there are mistakes, today was long day ;)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It seems fine.

Conscientious probably seems like the odd one out. I'm lazier than everyone I know. Chores take me an inordinate amount of time because I get bored and distracted. However, when it comes to my work and hobbies, I'm methodical and focused. I like to make sure there aren't errors, and I have a strong idea of how things should be. I get frustrated with people who do sloppy work. That's probably why I get AIC in Holland codes and 1 as my gut fix. There's a real finicky part of me, and in the context of work I'm a diligent person.

Was there something off about the combination?
Not particularly. I chose you at random. I'm lazy outside of work and hobbies, too, only to be perfectionistic at work. My perfectionism plus my ADHD has given me stomach ulcers and high blood sugar since they counter each other in a way...but life's life.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Exuberant and Inventive are not really Oldham styles. They were added later by Kelly.

So that's what's going on. Good to know.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Retested after some years and got the same three top categories: Idiosyncratic, Sensitive, (both 10's) and Solitary (8).
Lowest possible rank was in Aggressive (1).

(Scores were per the attached test.)

Type:
INTP 5w4 sx/sp

ygolo

My termites win
Conscientious individuals are dedicated to work and are capable of immense, single-minded effort. They have strong moral principles and values. Opinions and beliefs are rarely held lightly, and they stick to their convictions. Everything must be done 'right,' and the Conscientious person has a clear understanding of what that means, from the best strategy to achieve the boss's objectives, to how to get every single dirty dish into the dishwasher. They like order and tidiness and are good organizers, catalogers, and list-makers. Thrifty, careful, and cautious, Conscientious individuals do not give in to reckless abandon or wild excess. They have a tendency to collect things and are reluctant to discard anything.

Conscientious types believe strongly in hard work and loyalty. Their work is central to their lives. Whenever they commit to a task, they do the job completely and thoroughly. They are the 'A' students in school and the achievers in society. Detail and order are the main priorities of the Conscientious person.

They like things done a certain way and have difficulty adjusting to change. When a problem arises, they work tirelessly until it is solved. They can be paralyzed by the lack of a perfect solution, however. Their drive for perfection and their fear of making mistakes can become a burden. People who are extremely Conscientious have difficulty making decisions and completing their work on time. They require encouragement to delegate tasks, which they tend to avoid since they prefer to do things their own way.

Conscientious people do not display their emotions and can seem dry and lacking in spontaneity. They're 'head' people rather than 'heart' people. They are not without emotion inwardly, however, and often are attracted to partners who are openly emotional (e.g., Dramatic individuals). Their lack of emotion can be problematic in their relationships. The partner often mistakenly believes that the Conscientious person, who can't easily say 'I love you,' is without feeling. Conscientious people make excellent partners, however--they are not quitters and are extremely loyal.

This is a high-stress personality style prone to Type A health risks when extreme. For all their enviable self-control and direction, many Conscientious people find it difficult to relax and experience pleasure.

Sensitive types prefer the known to the unknown. They are comfortable with habit, repetition, and routine. They care deeply about what other people think and behave with deliberate discretion in their dealings with others. They do not make hasty judgments or jump in before they know what is appropriate. They maintain a courteous, self-restrained demeanor. They function best in scripted settings where they know precisely what is expected of them. Sensitive men and women are not quick to share their innermost thoughts and feelings with others, even those they know well.

Sensitive people are private and territorial. They're nesters, bonding closely with family and coworkers and forming lasting friendships with a favored few. Among strangers, however, they rarely feel themselves. Even well into new relationships, they may find it difficult to be who they are. Yet they can operate impressively when they know exactly what is expected of them. For example, many journalists with Sensitive style can interview celebrities forcefully and effectively, yet experience difficulty talking to such individuals if they are introduced socially.

Some highly Sensitive people are prone to fears and phobias. Others feel anxious, tense, or vaguely uneasy until they can get back to their familiar habits or roles. Uncomfortable or not, they can maintain a polite reserve around strangers and may come off as rather cool. This effectively masks their anxieties but often makes them seem haughty and unapproachable.

They are quite free in their imaginations and are often capable of great inventiveness and creativity. They can occupy themselves quite comfortably when alone, as long as they have a family, partner, or close friends with whom they know they will soon see.

They thrive at work, especially in structured settings. They're thorough, dedicated, competent, and loyal to coworkers and try hard to earn respect.

Stress for this personality style comes from having to brave the unfamiliar on their own. Although some react by restricting their worlds and limiting their risks, many adapt by relying on close companions to accompany or protect them. Others respond by becoming counterphobic--attempting to conquer the anxiety by confronting the challenge again and again. Criticism also causes stress for the Sensitive person. They care greatly about how people react to them, although their reserve might prevent others from realizing this.

Serious types are solemn and not given to emotional expression. They are realistically aware of their own capabilities but they are also aware of their limitations. They are not tempted by vanity or self-importance. They hold themselves responsible for their actions. They=re thinkers, analyzers, evaluators, ruminators and will always play things over in their minds before they acting.

Serious individuals anticipate problems and when the worst happens, they=re prepared to deal with it. Serious individuals are realists. They see the hard, harsh nature of life clearly. They have no illusions and are incapable of imagining a silver lining. They are no-nonsense people particularly suited to hard times, when their ability to push on can help everyone to survive. They always work hard and provide for others without any sense of heroism or pride in their efforts.

Even though they can seem joyless, Serious types are not necessarily unhappy. They take great satisfaction in their view of the universe. They are interested in serious subjects, which they find reassuring, and they find no need to escape into pleasure. Serious people are intensely hard workers, dependable, and trustworthy. They persevere whether or not they are enthusiastic or well rewarded. This can make it all too easy for employers to take advantage of them. They do not expect encouragement or to be treated well by others.

Although they are not socially outgoing, once they do connect with others they form very stable, long-term attachments. They tolerate the rough spots in relationships well. They are as critical of others as they are of themselves, but their fault-finding gives them no pleasure. They deeply regret causing any pain . Others who continually insist that they change into optimistic outgoing, happy-go-lucky people cause them great stress but their characteristic cynicism helps them to cope.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] – Dramatic and Mercurial is very “life of the party” combination. It doesn’t surprise me. Maybe you can do the test or at least write which other styles you see as supporting styles?

For me it was:

1. Dramatic
2. Adventurous (good job senza)

And a 4-way tie between Vigilant, Mercurial, Self-Confident, and Leisurely.

I think Vigilant and Leisurely don't work as well and it's mostly due to overlapping qualities of other types.

I'd say Dramatic is definitely dominant with strong mixtures of Adventurous, Mercurial, and Self-Confident added in. What kind of personality combo would that make for? :happy2:

Kas

Fabula rasa
I'd say Dramatic is definitely dominant with strong mixtures of Adventurous, Mercurial, and Self-Confident added in. What kind of personality combo would that make for? :happy2:
Active and vivid one ;)
[MENTION=825]ygolo[/MENTION] And what your MBTI/ Eneagram types?

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
devoted, dramatic, serious

Interpreting Your Personality Self-Portrait

Your leading style(s) most strongly shape your style, even if they sometimes conflict with one another. In brief, here are descriptions of your top styles:

Devoted types are thoroughly dedicated to their relationships. They highly value sustained relationships, respect the institution of marriage and unofficial avowals of commitment, and work hard to keep their relationships together. Relationships give their life meaning. Even after the painful loss of someone special, they are able to form new, meaningful bonds.

Devoted individuals care more about other people than about themselves. They are loyal, helpful, and considerate team players. They prefer following to leading and take direction well. They are intensely dedicated to the individuals and groups in their lives and will endure personal discomfort to help others. Devoted people will always be polite, agreeable, and tactful, but they do not make decisions easily. They prefer to let others make big decisions or at least to gather others' opinions before coming to a decision. This tendency can be a drawback for a Devoted person who assumes a leadership or independent role.

Devoted types will do more of the work and make more of the sacrifices involved with keeping a relationship (or a family, office, or organization) going. They make excellent employees and spouses, but the tendency to defer to others can be a problem if they involve themselves with people who are overbearing or who take advantage of others.

The biggest stress for Devoted people is having to deal with trouble in their relationships. They're worriers; they take criticism hard and feel personally responsible for everything that goes wrong. They may spend more energy than other people worrying about the short- or long-term fidelity of their spouse. When worried about the relationship, they may need excessive reassurance. They cope with these stresses by taking it upon themselves to make things better. Unfortunately, this coping style often compounds their problems. The mates of extremely Devoted individuals may become exasperated with their compliance and lack of initiative. What they may need instead is a show of strength.

Dramatic types live in an emotional world. They are sensation-oriented, emotionally demonstrative, and physically affectionate. They react emotionally to events and can shift moods quickly. They're 'heart' people rather than 'head' people. They overflow with feeling and zest. They are spontaneous and love excitement, attention, applause, and emotion. They experience life vividly and expansively and have rich imaginations and entertaining stories to tell.

Highly social, they are often happiest when the atmosphere is highly charged and all eyes are on them. They pay close attention to grooming and enjoy clothes, style, and fashion. Dramatic people energize and charm others. Many have profound intuition about other people's feelings. Because they are other-directed, their self-esteem may balance on how other people respond to them.

Dramatic individuals enjoy their sexuality. They are seductive, engaging, and charming. Easily putting their trust in others and characteristically suggestible, they are able to become quickly involved in relationships. They demand a lot of energy from their partners and from subordinates at work. They have a low tolerance for boredom, which can lead to difficulties settling into a relationship or into jobs that do not present continual stimulation.

Life with Dramatic people can be stormy, considering their strong and immediate emotional reactions. Nonetheless, they frequently are attracted to dry, stable Conscientious types who provide necessary balance to their lives (and to whose lives they can bring some excitement). Conscientious partners will need to learn how to compliment and to say, 'I love you,' since Dramatic people lose confidence when they don't receive feedback.

Trouble in a relationship is a major blow to self-esteem, as is being without a partner or lover. To cope with stress and anxiety, Dramatic types like to look on the bright side, to repress the unpleasant and to sustain an optimistic outlook.

These are not detail people, but they are often highly creative, idea types, sometimes brilliant in their hunches. They can be good at persuading others to back their projects and often make strong managers. However, they do best at work and in their personal lives if they can find others who are better at the tedious follow-through.

Serious types are solemn and not given to emotional expression. They are realistically aware of their own capabilities but they are also aware of their limitations. They are not tempted by vanity or self-importance. They hold themselves responsible for their actions. They=re thinkers, analyzers, evaluators, ruminators and will always play things over in their minds before they acting.

Serious individuals anticipate problems and when the worst happens, they=re prepared to deal with it. Serious individuals are realists. They see the hard, harsh nature of life clearly. They have no illusions and are incapable of imagining a silver lining. They are no-nonsense people particularly suited to hard times, when their ability to push on can help everyone to survive. They always work hard and provide for others without any sense of heroism or pride in their efforts.

Even though they can seem joyless, Serious types are not necessarily unhappy. They take great satisfaction in their view of the universe. They are interested in serious subjects, which they find reassuring, and they find no need to escape into pleasure. Serious people are intensely hard workers, dependable, and trustworthy. They persevere whether or not they are enthusiastic or well rewarded. This can make it all too easy for employers to take advantage of them. They do not expect encouragement or to be treated well by others.

Although they are not socially outgoing, once they do connect with others they form very stable, long-term attachments. They tolerate the rough spots in relationships well. They are as critical of others as they are of themselves, but their fault-finding gives them no pleasure. They deeply regret causing any pain . Others who continually insist that they change into optimistic outgoing, happy-go-lucky people cause them great stress but their characteristic cynicism helps them to cope.

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
FWIW, I happened to take an Oldham test a few weeks ago, and I found it helpful; it made me revisit my Enneagram type. I came up mainly Sensitive, and the description of that type fits me and also fits with my M-B type of INFP. But it didn't fit with my Enneagram type, which I thought was One (I've been through a few types over the past fifteen or twenty years).

Turns out that Sensitive does fit with type Six. And my latest rereading and self-searching leads me to believe I've been an Enneagram Six all along.

Kas

Fabula rasa
FWIW, I happened to take an Oldham test a few weeks ago, and I found it helpful; it made me revisit my Enneagram type. I came up mainly Sensitive, and the description of that type fits me and also fits with my M-B type of INFP. But it didn't fit with my Enneagram type, which I thought was One (I've been through a few types over the past fifteen or twenty years).

Turns out that Sensitive does fit with type Six. And my latest rereading and self-searching leads me to believe I've been an Enneagram Six all along.

Interesting, my personal observation was that 6s are often Solitary (at least one of the main styles) especially when they come together with 5 in tritype.
Although that are different systems, so of course every single type of Eneagram or MBTI can be any of Oldham styles, I'm just looking for correlations, tendencies...
When I finish exams, I'll look up what Palmer wrote about connection between eneagram and DSM and I'll write it up.

Do you remember the rest of your results? I'm doing a little research in here:)

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you remember the rest of your results? I'm doing a little research in here:)
I thought I had posted my results, but I couldn't find them just now. I did post the results I got in another Oldham quiz; my top three there were Conscientious, Devoted, and Sensitive. My lowest scores were in Adventurous, Idiosyncratic, and Leisurely.

While i was checking, I noticed that when I scored Sensitive on the first test, I first assumed it reflected my Enneagram stress point of 4 (since I believed my type was 1 then). Maybe it was further testing, where Conscientious rose to the top, that prompted me to investigate Enneagram type 6 again.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I ordered what I got (including results of a few of my friends who took the test before), still it's not much information.

Is there anyone else who can take it?
I'm pasting here link for Leisurely ones :) TEST

Especially I would like to know something about ENTP, INFJ, ESTJ, ESFJ, ISTP, ESTP and Enneagram 6,7,8,9 .
But I will be happy of every response.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1. Adventurous - ISTP 7w8, Se
2. Dramatic - INFP 4w3, Fe
3. Conscientious - ENFJ 1dw, Si

None of Oldham's styles individually are really spot on for me, but mashing these three together makes for a pretty good fit.

Last edited:

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got "Self-Confident," so might this reinforce the notion that I am an ENTP?

Personality Portrait Graph.jpg