• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your chess personality?

ygolo

My termites win
http://www.chesspersonality.com/type/surgeon

Surgeon
Positional, Aggressive, Calculating, Calm

Surgeons are tricky, practical players who use positional play to fight for a win in all positions. They don't usually gain big advantages early in the game, and sometimes even get worse positions; but the Surgeon is clever and knows how to fight. With great nerves and calculating ability, a Surgeon will uncover every hidden resource available to bring the game to a favorable conclusion.

Emanuel Lasker is a Surgeon

Emanuel Lasker Emanuel Lasker (1868-1941), the second world champion, was one of the most successful Surgeons. The longest reigning world champion (27 years), Lasker's style was mysterious to his contemporaries. He was described as having a "psychological" style of play, which confused his opponents. But in fact he was simply ahead of them in his understanding of the dynamics of chess. Lasker understood how to create counterplay, how to change the theater of battle when one part of the board was weak, and how to transform advantages. His defensive and endgame technique were the key to his great results.

Recommended Openings

White: Ruy Lopez (Spanish)
Black: Ruy Lopez (Spanish); Queen's Gambit Declined (Orthodox Defense)

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmmm...

My results categorize me as attacking, aggressive, calculating and emotional (which would make me a Barbarian), but it says I'm a Mad Scientist, which is positional, solid, calculating and emotional.

Reading the descriptions, Barbarian is a much better fit:

Barbarian

Mad Scientist

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tried to take this, but I'm actually quite the amateur at chess. I really do need to start learning.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
"Just Checkmate me already, I want to watch TV"

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Magicians are the ultimate attackers. Magicians don't care too much if their play is objectively correct - they prefer to follow their intuition and fancy, creating complications and confusing their opponent. A Magician sees chess as a creative art, and creative art cannot be held captive by stern and fixed principles. Magicians can calculate well, but they sometimes do so quickly and carelessly, using their calculation to support what their intuition tells them. Magicians enjoy the unusual and spectacular, and can often become bored by slow maneuvering.

Jaguar

Mastermind

Attacking, Aggressive, Calculating, Calm

Masterminds seek to master both their own emotions and to impose their reality on the chessboard. A Mastermind always seeks the right move, and believes that attacking is the right way. Typically choosing sharp openings, Masterminds win with fantastically deep calculations, producing combinations which are deeply hidden in correctly built-up positions. Masterminds thrive in complicated positions, where their accurate calculating ability and iron nerves give them the advantage.

Alexander Alekhine is a Mastermind

Alexander Alekhine (1892-1946), the fourth world champion, was a true Mastermind. One of the greatest attacking players ever, Alekhine could produce spectacular combinations from positions which seemed to promise no such thing. His calculation ability was phenomenal, and his combinations often included deadly and unexpected surprises at the end of a series of obvious moves: the famous "sting of the scorpion's tail". Most important was his ability to build up an attacking position and create complications without taking undue risks himself. Alekhine held the world championship from 1927 until 1935, when he lost a match to Max Euwe, and then from 1937 (after beating Euwe in the return match) until his death in 1946.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Masterminds seek to master both their own emotions and to impose their reality on the chessboard. A Mastermind always seeks the right move, and believes that attacking is the right way. Typically choosing sharp openings, Masterminds win with fantastically deep calculations, producing combinations which are deeply hidden in correctly built-up positions. Masterminds thrive in complicated positions, where their accurate calculating ability and iron nerves give them the advantage.

Slow down there.... my ELO rating on lichess is only around 900 - 1000.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't play chess online because opponents use chess programs.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't play chess online because opponents use chess programs.

Really? WTF? What the hell is the point of playing a game and cheating? I don't get it. Doesn't that take the fun out? If I win, I want to win by my own efforts.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mastermind

Attacking, Aggressive, Calculating, Calm

Alexander Alekhine is a Mastermind

Alexander Alekhine (1892-1946), the fourth world champion, was a true Mastermind. One of the greatest attacking players ever, Alekhine could produce spectacular combinations from positions which seemed to promise no such thing. His calculation ability was phenomenal, and his combinations often included deadly and unexpected surprises at the end of a series of obvious moves: the famous "sting of the scorpion's tail". Most important was his ability to build up an attacking position and create complications without taking undue risks himself. Alekhine held the world championship from 1927 until 1935, when he lost a match to Max Euwe, and then from 1937 (after beating Euwe in the return match) until his death in 1946.

Attacking Aggressive Calculating Calm is the Assassin.
Attacking Solid Calculating Calm is the Mastermind.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? WTF? What the hell is the point of playing a game and cheating? I don't get it. Doesn't that take the fun out? If I win, I want to win by my own efforts.

Exactly! I'm a huge FPS gamer, so hackers are expected there, but I recently heard about somebody cheating on Empire: Total War, an RTS game. To me, that's a whole new level of disgusting.

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can confirm that Mastermind is attacking, solid, calculating, calm.

As for my results, I got Natural. But... that sounds so boring!

Although I did once win a game using nothing but pawns (I was careless at first and lost all of my good pieces), so I suppose this could be pretty accurate.

Last edited:

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mad scientist

Mad Scientists believe in justice and principles in chess, and use passion and calculating ability to prove their beliefs. The Mad Scientist is capable of carrying out brilliant attacks, but will only do so when he believes it is the right way - he won't normally play speculatively. More often that not the Mad Scientist is the one facing an attack, and he is willing to do that if he believes the attack is not objectively correct. Mad Scientists are also experimenters, trying different ways to expand the horizons in chess.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Natural
Naturals are well-rounded players who seek a healthy initiative, remain in control of their emotions and follow their intuition rather than constantly looking for exceptions to the rules of chess. A Natural seeks healthy openings and healthy positions. They don't usually win by trickery, but once they obtain an advantage they are all but unstoppable. Naturals place a high value on remaining calm and rarely get into time pressure or uncontrollable situations.

Viswanathan Anand is a Natural
viswanathan-anand.jpg

Viswanathan Anand Viswanathan Anand (born 1969), the classical world champion from 2007 to 2013, is a typical Natural player. Utilizing his intuitive feel for the game, early in his career Anand would sometimes defeat grandmasters while using only a few minutes on the clock. A player who is very much in control of his emotions, Anand seeks well-founded attacking play based on his intuitive understanding of the game.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.chesspersonality.com/type/surgeon

Surgeon
Positional, Aggressive, Calculating, Calm

Surgeons are tricky, practical players who use positional play to fight for a win in all positions. They don't usually gain big advantages early in the game, and sometimes even get worse positions; but the Surgeon is clever and knows how to fight. With great nerves and calculating ability, a Surgeon will uncover every hidden resource available to bring the game to a favorable conclusion.

Emanuel Lasker is a Surgeon

Emanuel Lasker Emanuel Lasker (1868-1941), the second world champion, was one of the most successful Surgeons. The longest reigning world champion (27 years), Lasker's style was mysterious to his contemporaries. He was described as having a "psychological" style of play, which confused his opponents. But in fact he was simply ahead of them in his understanding of the dynamics of chess. Lasker understood how to create counterplay, how to change the theater of battle when one part of the board was weak, and how to transform advantages. His defensive and endgame technique were the key to his great results.

Recommended Openings

White: Ruy Lopez (Spanish)
Black: Ruy Lopez (Spanish); Queen's Gambit Declined (Orthodox Defense)

I got the same thing.
Surgeon