• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your chess personality?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Assassin

Assassins are all about controlled aggression. They tend to play sharp openings (especially 1.e4 as white) and look to attack the opponent's King. But their attacks are not wild or careless - everything is still governed by the objective demands of the position and exact calculation. Assassins tend to play "against the pieces" rather than "against the opponent". They won't alter their own play to try to take advantage of the opponent's psychology.

I am willing to be more aggressive in something like chess because it's "just a game". In real life, I am a bit more restrained.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL

Grinders

Grinders are players with an unassuming style that can hide just how intent they are on winning. They don’t need to know opening theory to beat you. They don’t need to have an advantage to beat you. They don’t even need to have an equal position to beat you. Grinders have good positional skills, and are usually most at home in endgames. They are attuned to their opponents’ weaknesses which they use against them. On the other hand, they often know their own strengths and limitations pretty objectively, and will make good practical decisions. It’s hard to take advantage of a Grinder’s weaknesses, and you won’t have much luck getting errors out of them by applying pressure.

Anatoly Karpov is a Grinder

Anatoly Karpov Anatoly Karpov (born 1951), twelfth World Champion and superb positional player, is one of the most successful Grinders of all time. Not only did he hold the world title for 10 years, but in order to prove himself after Fischer disappeared, he played in as many tournaments as he could and amassed the most impressive win total and tournament resume of any player in history. During his prime, Karpov was famous for declining draws in worse positions, confident that he would play well enough to never lose them - all while giving his opponents ample opportunity to blow the game as they got ground down by the long game and his intense will to win!

Recommended Openings

White: Queen's Gambit
Black: Caro-Kann

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
K9AroAY.png
v8BVrNm.png

rav3n

Mastermind

Attacking, solid, calculating, calm.

Alexander Alekhine is a Mastermind

rvfvclv

awkward
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Prodigy

The Prodigy is the ultimate sportsman. Prodigies play aggressively and fight for the win from the beginning to the end, but place the highest value on maintaining emotional control and utilizing every opportunity that comes their way. Prodigies are not out to prove any kinds of theories, or to create great works of art (though that often happens anyway); for Prodigies winning is everything… because winning is simply more fun.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Anacondas may seem peaceful on the exterior, but the Anaconda is always preparing something menacing - a deep positional squeeze, typical of the big snake. Anacondas usually reject obvious and direct play, and instead prefer to build up positional pressure. They tend to be very attached to their own ideas, almost to the point of seeming like the result of the game is secondary. But don't be fooled: once an Anaconda has you in his grip, you will be very lucky to escape.
Aron Nimzowitsch (1886-1935) was one of the best players never to become world champion and was among the leading players in the world for several decades. His legacy, however, is mostly as a theoretician of chess strategy. In his writing (which is still very influential today) he laid out his "system" of chess strategy which emphasizes preventing your opponent's plans through such concepts as blockade, overprotection, and prophylaxis. In his own play he showed his "Anaconda" style - a positional, indirect aggression, which seeks to further his plans by preventing those of his opponent.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Genius

"Geniuses seem to decide their moves by pure divination. With little or no calculation, they decide where to put their pieces and then simply put them there. The Genius just feels the pulse of the position. His combinations are usually short, simple, but transform the game in a deadly way. The Genius doesn't seek complications and thus draws quite a few games, but rarely loses. Sometimes he seems to get bored of chess, but this is actually an illusion - he cares about it more than anything".

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Assasin...i usually end up winning or a draw. I dont really lose much.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Romantic

Romantics are full of good ideas. These ideas might be either positional or attacking, but they are always unusual and unique. The Romantic doesn't usually win by out-calculating his opponent, but rather finds some unexpected and unusual concept that his opponent didn't expect. Romantic players are very emotional and therefore can be very distraught when they lose, but their moodiness also means that when things are going well, they can be unstoppably brilliant.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
http://www.chesspersonality.com/type/technician

Technicians are the quietest and calmest chess players. Strategists who rarely attack directly and prefer to quietly exploit positional advantages, Technicians utilize their exceptional intuition to guide their positional play. Rarely losing control, the Technician exploits almost invisible positional weaknesses to win in the endgame. Technicians do not like to take many risks, and therefore rarely lose - but also win less than more aggressive players.

--
I think this assessment describes me very well. I move pieces in a calculated manner to see the enemy throw themselves in a wild lose. This is true to how I play the game

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm "Help! I have no idea what I'm doing!"

Eternal Harmony

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Prodigy

The Prodigy is the ultimate sportsman. Prodigies play aggressively and fight for the win from the beginning to the end, but place the highest value on maintaining emotional control and utilizing every opportunity that comes their way. Prodigies are not out to prove any kinds of theories, or to create great works of art (though that often happens anyway); for Prodigies winning is everything… because winning is simply more fun.
Magnus Carlsen is a Prodigy

Magnus Carlsen Magnus Carlsen (born 1990) of Norway, the current world champion, exemplifies the Prodigy. A universal player with an intuitive grasp of chess, much of Carlsen's success can be explained by his psychology which is completely unencumbered by fear. He rarely makes any kind of blunders, and plays on forever to try to win positions with the smallest advantage, or even equal ones. His endgame play is superb, and his constant pressing in every position eventually drives his opponents to make errors. Carlsen is currently the highest rated player in history.

Well, I have to admit that I am not the ultimate chess player. I am just doing it in my spare time. Also I like to play with time stop and easily get bored when my partner thinks too long. But I usually like snatching Towers with Bishops ;)
The Gambit movement is great, too :)

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Assassin

Assassins are all about controlled aggression. They tend to play sharp openings (especially 1.e4 as white) and look to attack the opponent's King. But their attacks are not wild or careless - everything is still governed by the objective demands of the position and exact calculation. Assassins tend to play "against the pieces" rather than "against the opponent". They won't alter their own play to try to take advantage of the opponent's psychology.

Attacking, aggressive, calculating and calm.

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Here's what I got :cool:

Magnus Carlsen (born 1990) of Norway, the current world champion, exemplifies the Prodigy. A universal player with an intuitive grasp of chess, much of Carlsen's success can be explained by his psychology which is completely unencumbered by fear. He rarely makes any kind of blunders, and plays on forever to try to win positions with the smallest advantage, or even equal ones. His endgame play is superb, and his constant pressing in every position eventually drives his opponents to make errors. Carlsen is currently the highest rated player in history.

Recommended Openings

White: Ruy Lopez (Spanish); Queen's Gambit
Black: Ruy Lopez (Spanish); Sicilian Defense; Grunfeld

Cool test and I've got to agree with that one - winning is more fun :D

René

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The Assassin

Attacking, aggressive, calculating and calm.

me too

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ive never actually played chess with number letter lables, so I might be inaccurate on my choices. But I did a educated guess on them. :)