• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I invented a new typing system, try it out.

DerekEvans01

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey guys! I ended up leaving the forum a while ago because I had so much work to catch up on. I recently went back to psychology and found out that I actually don't fit into any of the types of the mbti theory, so I decided to come up with my own typing system. I tried to make it based on practical information and not leave any gray areas, because that's what I think is up with me not fitting in, or maybe I simply just don't understand how the functions connect to the preferences, but I invented this new typing system, using the basic principles of mbti with a completely different idea. This is NOT plagiarism, I give credit to myers briggs and their theories and I respect their theories. I just wanted a typing system that I can actually identify easily with, and as for others who cannot identify with mbti types, they will hopefully have a way to identify themselves as well. Use the personality inventory I'm putting on this thread to test yourself and see how your mbti type correlates with this kind of typing system. I'm interesting in seeing who gets what result. I am ExTP on mbti(again, couldn't decide) and ECDS on this. Freedom fighter for life baby! Enjoy my new invention.

FOCUS
E/I
Extravert-I prefer focusing on the outer environment by observing it and interacting with people and things because lack of outer stimulation bores me
Introvert- I prefer being absorbed into my inner world of thoughts and ideas alone because outer stimuli drains me.
WAY OF THINKING
C/P
Creator-I prefer to invent my own way of doing things, even if it goes against the rules and norms of society
Practitioner- I prefer to be shown the right way to do things and put it into practice, due to the fact that experimenting with my own ways might not work.
DECISION MAKING
T/D
Thinker-I prefer to think about my decisions before I make them to make sure that they don't impact me in a harmful way.
Doer-I prefer to make decisions as quickly and as efficiently as possible, even if it lands me into trouble.
ADVENTUROUSNESS
S/R
Seeker-I prefer to seek action and adventure, even if it impacts me in a harmful way. I can fix the problems that arise as I go.
Responder-I prefer to stay safe, peaceful, and secure because seeking adventure might cause trouble for me or others.

Mental functions in this theory are NOT mental processes like the ones in mbti, but rather, methods of doing things based on a combination of the preferences
Mental functions and variants
Combat functions:
REFLEXIVE FIGHTING-DS's- Immediately facing conflict head on and vanquishing the opponent in a quick and decisive way as they think on their feet
STRATEGIZED FIGHTING-TS's- taking a few seconds to a a few minutes to make calculations and analyze the opponent's weaknesses and develop a fighting strategy. Could face conflict head on or from behind the scenes.
REFLEXIVE FLIGHT-DR's- trying to avoid the conflict at hand, acting quickly and decisively to end the conflict quickly, will respond quickly if they have no choice but to fight.
STRATEGIZED THINKING-TR's- making calculations about the environment around the person and using it to escape or end the conflict peacefully, fighting only if they have to.
Problem solving/thinking functions:
QUICK CREATIVITY-CD's- taking a few seconds to a few minutes to come up with creative ideas to solve problems
QUICK PRACTICALITY-PD's-
Using learned techniques in a quick, decisive, and immediate way in order to solve problems
EXTENDED CREATIVITY-CT's- spending hours or even days coming up with theories and creative ideas to solve problems. Will usually prefer to solve complex ones and perfect their ideas, unlike the more simple QC users.
EXTENDED PRACTICALITY-PT's-
Spending a few seconds to a few minutes analyzing the problem at hand and figuring out which learned solution is most applicable and appropriate. More detailed thinker than the quick QP users
Exploration functions:
CREATIVE SEEKING- Exploring and looking for problems to solve creatively.
PRACTICAL SEEKING:Exploring the details of the environment and looking for opportunities to solve problems in a practical manner
CREATIVE RESPONDING-Noticing problems in one's life and responding to them in a creative manner
PRACTICAL RESPONDING- Noticing problems in one's life and responding to them in a practical manner.

Each typical person will use 1 combat, 1 problem solving, and 1 exploration function.

Personality temperments
DS-Action heroes/adventurers
DR- Mentors/inspirers
CT-Theorizers/scientists
PT- Loyalists

DS types: Action Heroes
ECDS- Freedom Fighter
ICDS-Radical
EPDS- Adventurer
IPDS-Spy

DR types: Mentors/inspirers
IPDR-Parent
EPDR-Teacher
ICDR-Artist/Author
ECDR-songwriter/performer

CT types: Theorizers
ICTR-Scientist
ECTR- Leader
ECTS- General
ICTS- War Strategist

PT types:Loyalists
IPTR- Loyalist
EPTR- Diplomat
IPTS-Detective
EPTS-Cop

DerekEvans01

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Nice! ECDR's are probably the most creative type, with ECDS following closely behind, oh and btw, I actually think I know my type now. I was surprised when I read the type descriptions on the forum, they were actually concise and accurate, unlike the descriptions of the functions on tumblr and in the iPhone apps. I am definitely Se. I guess I was confused because of how poorly the functioms were described on the other forums, but I know I am definitely Se now.a Ne user would understand stuff like shakespeare while I'm stuck trying to come up with a reasonable explanation on what it is saying. I often end up making stuff up. The combination of my typing system and mbti makes a greater explanatory tool, kinda like how mbti works with socionics.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ICTS. Had to look over the functions first; couldn't decide whether I was S or R until I checked out TS. Me 100%. Especially in games like Empire: Total War and Civilization, I'm almost always the one making the first move in a war. If I were to ever have a combat situation IRL, Strategized Fighting would be my style if I had time or could stall for it.

DerekEvans01

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ICTS. Had to look over the functions first; couldn't decide whether I was S or R until I checked out TS. Me 100%. Especially in games like Empire: Total War and Civilization, I'm almost always the one making the first move in a war. If I were to ever have a combat situation IRL, Strategized Fighting would be my style if I had time or could stall for it.
Very nice. You know, TS's are best for careers that involve both strategy and action, like military leadership or law enforcement. I'd say a C shouldn't be wasting his time doing cop work, he should be leading the cops into battle. Lol it's interesting how this works, and the thing is the more I use my invention, the more practical information I develop about my theory. When I created this system, I meant for it to be a replacement for mbti for all the people who were undecided on their type, but now I realize that this is a perfect tool to combine with mbti to explain a person's way of thinking even more accurately than using just one system. For example, I found that a lot of sensors tested as creators and vice versa. It's because a person has the capacity to be creative and concrete at the same time, as well as abstract and practical, meaning that a person will go with their gut, but rely on learned techniques to solve problems. Interesting tool I say.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
IxTR. Not sure.

I'm not inventive. I don't go against rules and norms. It's more accurate to say that I like being shown "the right way" to do things and then I adapt it, doing whatever makes sense based on the circumstances. The more limitations I see in "the right way" the more willing I am to throw it out. I start out with, or at least consider, the conventional methods. By the end of the process, I'm usually not doing things by-the-book.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
ICTR -- I guess.

The whole thing seems very think-y. The C/P description seems a bit biased towards C. Maybe for P something like "I believe there is a correct way to do things and I like being shown how to do things properly"?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
xPTR for me. I/E isn't clear using your description.

What makes your system an improvement over MBTI? On what theories, etc. are you basing this on?

DerekEvans01

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What makes your system an improvement over MBTI? On what theories, etc. are you basing this on?
This isn't supposed to be better han mbti, but rather an improvent, because I found that you can test people more accurately using both mbti and this system. This system is based purely on observations I've made. If you're having trouble with the E/I divide try thinking of where you are spending most your leisure time and what world you focus on most when using the problem solving function.

DerekEvans01

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Actually forget the last advice. I'm gonna explain it to you in a different way, if your first imstinct is to look to your outer resources and people to solve problems then you are extraverted, if you look into your mind before scanning the environment, you are imtroverted. I probably should have put that in the description.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
EPTR.... Maybe.

As usual I'm torn on what I think I do and what I actually do. What stops this just becoming more noise in the machine?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
This isn't supposed to be better han mbti, but rather an improvent,
Lol. Do you not see the contradiction here?

because I found that you can test people more accurately using both mbti and this system. This system is based purely on observations I've made.

If you're not willing to at least put some effort in explaining why and how you came up with this, then it's worthless.

If you're having trouble with the E/I divide try thinking of where you are spending most your leisure time and what world you focus on most when using the problem solving function.

My problem is not actual I/E confusion. It's the way you've worded yours.

Actually forget the last advice. I'm gonna explain it to you in a different way, if your first imstinct is to look to your outer resources and people to solve problems then you are extraverted, if you look into your mind before scanning the environment, you are imtroverted. I probably should have put that in the description.

This is only one facet of introversion.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
EPDS

I feel very 50/50 on the middle two letters. :shrug:

DerekEvans01

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol. Do you not see the contradiction here?

If you're not willing to at least put some effort in explaining why and how you came up with this, then it's worthless.

My problem is not actual I/E confusion. It's the way you've worded yours.

This is only one facet of introversion.
Well if you must insist that I post a story about how I came up with this, then I will. I developed this system as a way of identifying myself back when mbti seemed useless to me. Basing this on my knowledge of pyschology I created 4 scales on which to type people. I based this on the mbti theory, but in a more practical way, as this is based on nothing but observational and practical input. I've tested 30 people, all coming out with different answers based on profession. After tested all these people I realize that this can be used to add to mbti to create a big 5 letter type and explaining a person in a more detailed way. And by the way, extraversion/introversion in this system isn't supposed to be exactly the same as mbti. Mbti is about social interaction, my system is about instinct. If you really need proof, then realize that if people can be typed by the mbti and indentify with the fumctions in that theory, there's no doubt about it that people will identify with a type in this theory since the functions are literally just combinations of two preferences. I have not really finished it yet and it needs more research, so yes, it may be flawed, but it's not a bad theory just because it wasn't done by a PHD. Thank you for your opinion though. It was much needed, because now I can work to develop a way to tell introversion from extraversion.

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I came up with ICTS - war strategist. I have a degree in military history. I think you all may be onto something.