User Tag List

123 Last

Default Clusters in Big Five data

There may already be a thread on the research done last year on clusters in the big 5 data, but here is the link to their research: Are you average, reserved, self-centered or a role model? - Northwestern Now
    What is your take on the 4 clusters they found?
    What is your take on how they were labeled?
    What is your take on the fact that naive methods originally found 16 clusters?
    I personally don't like the labels, but the fact that the "role model" personality is the particular group of traits that it has confirmed to me that in the Big 5, the researchers certainly make a distinction between "good" and "bad" personalities. What is good shouldn't be surprising.
    There is no Lie Scale on Big 5 tests, and it wouldn't surprise me if a large portion of those who self report in the role model cluster would be in the average cluster if they answered honestly.
    Beyond that, my recent experience in a negotiations class exposed me to another group that almost assuredly self report as "role models" but would likely be characterized by others as "self centered"? I have a politically charged name for such people, but I have come to realize they are much more common than I realized, especially in the business world.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    There may already be a thread on the research done last year on clusters in the big 5 data, but here is the link to their research: Are you average, reserved, self-centered or a role model? - Northwestern Now
    What is your take on the 4 clusters they found?
    What is your take on how they were labeled?
    What is your take on the fact that naive methods originally found 16 clusters?
    I personally don't like the labels, but the fact that the "role model" personality is the particular group of traits that it has confirmed to me that in the Big 5, the researchers certainly make a distinction between "good" and "bad" personalities. What is good shouldn't be surprising.
    There is no Lie Scale on Big 5 tests, and it wouldn't surprise me if a large portion of those who self report in the role model cluster would be in the average cluster if they answered honestly.
    Beyond that, my recent experience in a negotiations class exposed me to another group that almost assuredly self report as "role models" but would likely be characterized by others as "self centered"? I have a politically charged name for such people, but I have come to realize they are much more common than I realized, especially in the business world.
    What's the correlation between self reporting and the particular group from the class and the Big 5, was testing involved in the negotiations?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I don't like the labels, either, they shouldn't be labeled good or bad, basically. I would like to see the questions used to determine this and more details on the study.

I don't fit in any of the groups.
    ✦ᏖᏒᎥᎮ ค ℓιɬɬℓɛ Ꮭıɠɧɬ ʄคŋɬคʂɬıƈ✦ -: ✦ :- ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ❋-: ✦ :-★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    * ・゚ ・゚ * ⊱9w1✶S✶2w1✶X✶5w6⊰ * ・゚ ・゚ *
    ✦Շђєяє คяє ๓σяє тнιηﻭѕ ιη нєανєη αη∂ єαятн Շђαη คяє ∂яєαмт σƒ ιη уσυя ρнιℓσѕσρну.✦
    Likes Neal Caffreynated, Hexcoder liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Yeah Big 5 has issues but data is data. It shows some sort of existence of forms which people have a tendency to move towards.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

but i thought separating people into personality types was unscientific because people don't fit into the boxes.

According to that 538 test, my strongest trait was Openness to New Experiences. I believe I'm average in extraversion, concietiousness, agreeableness, and neuroticism (well, this one might be low, I can't remember. ) So, I don't fit into any of those types. Therefore, the model is invalid, because it's a fact that at least some people don't fit.

Regarding self-centered vs. role models, while it's possible that people can lie, I don't think it makes sense to conclude that people like that are rare to the extent that the majority of the people who got that must be lying.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak
    the concept of personality types is flawed because people fit into a continuum rather than as discreet types.
    Clustering and continuum are compatible concepts.
    Likes JocktheMotie liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

What I find somewhat strange about the clusters is that the only 'type' the introvert can fit into is the Reserved type. The other three all indicate high levels of extroversion.

Was there something different about the way extroversion was determined in the questions? ie it would seem the majority of the population is then extroverted. I suppose if you factor in that most people are in fact 'ambiverts' on the continuum (ie there aren't THAT many hardcore extroverts or hardcore introverts -- most people fall somewhat in the middle of the spectrum), this might make sense if all the middling non-extreme people are considered 'extroverts' in this cluster data?

Anyway, the labels are obviously odd choices, since some are inherently perceived as negative. That said, the labels are probably 'accurate' in the sense that there ARE a lot of people out there who ARE self centered and would be characterized as such by everyone else (per what you said in the OP) -- so the issue as always is self reporting.

Re good/bad? Well imo good/bad labels or traits only become a problem when people are trying to self report/type --- the reality is that the world is chock full of people with shitty personality traits / unappealing aspects of themselves - so in that sense yah, there's reality there. There ARE warm, positive, encouraging, role model oriented folks reaching out/giving to others, just as there are folks who are just out for themselves and who think they are the next best thing, etc etc. The labels just aren't going to be of any use for self reporting, thus most people will always want to identify with the positive-oriented traits.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

“The data came back, and they kept coming up with the same four clusters at higher densities than you’d expect by chance, and you can show by replication that this is statistically unlikely." Revelle said. "The methodology is the main part of the paper’s contribution to science."
    So basically there DO exist four clusters, but it sounds like there are a lot of outliers. I'm not really sure at what point of density you'd "drop out of a particular cluster" either.

I guess I identify most with the Reserved and Role Model types, but it's not a clean fit at all. (mid-low extraversion, average neuroticism and conscientiousness and agreeableness, very high openness, etc.) I have trouble viewing something entirely behaviorally because I see motivation/inclination as well. Some of my traits have shifted, mainly through experience / life change. (I'm more conscientious due to the nature of simply working for pay, daily, and it's part of my job to be such even if it's not a natural inclination.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Average
    Average people are high in neuroticism and extraversion, while low in openness. This is the most common personality type.
    Neurotic ES types.

Reserved
    The Reserved type is emotionally stable but not open or neurotic. They are not particularly extraverted but are somewhat agreeable and conscientious.
    Calm ISfjs.

Role models
    Role models score low in neuroticism and high in all the other traits. They are good leaders, dependable and open to new ideas.
    Calm ENFJs.

Self-centered
    Self-Centered people score very high in extraversion and below average in openness, agreeableness, and conscientiousness.
    Self-centered ESTPs.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    What's the correlation between self reporting and the particular group from the class and the Big 5, was testing involved in the negotiations?
    There was testing involved in the negotiations class, and they were generally more extroverted, calm, agreeable, open, and conscientious than most of the population. Going by the results we'd have a class of 70% role models. Beyond that the class had more self-aggrandizing, self-important posters than any online class that I have ever taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    I don't like the labels, either, they shouldn't be labeled good or bad, basically. I would like to see the questions used to determine this and more details on the study.

I don't fit in any of the groups.
    I don't like the labels either. I fit in the reserved group (for the most part).

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Yeah Big 5 has issues but data is data. It shows some sort of existence of forms which people have a tendency to move towards.
    True enough, but I have always maintained that on of the strong biases in Big Five research is the researchers own strong affinity for their own perceived personalities. I'm sure we've all seen the narcissistic tendencies of professors, and I am convinced most narcisists would report themselves as "role models" even if that phrase is never used because the "correct" answers to a personality test are obvious and narcissism will tend to make people answer that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Clustering and continuum are compatible concepts.
    Agreed. These "types" are different from the sorted types of the traditional MBTI. But what do you make of the fact that their naive clustering attempts first lead to 16 clusters?

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    What I find somewhat strange about the clusters is that the only 'type' the introvert can fit into is the Reserved type. The other three all indicate high levels of extroversion.

Was there something different about the way extroversion was determined in the questions? ie it would seem the majority of the population is then extroverted. I suppose if you factor in that most people are in fact 'ambiverts' on the continuum (ie there aren't THAT many hardcore extroverts or hardcore introverts -- most people fall somewhat in the middle of the spectrum), this might make sense if all the middling non-extreme people are considered 'extroverts' in this cluster data?

Anyway, the labels are obviously odd choices, since some are inherently perceived as negative. That said, the labels are probably 'accurate' in the sense that there ARE a lot of people out there who ARE self centered and would be characterized as such by everyone else (per what you said in the OP) -- so the issue as always is self reporting.

Re good/bad? Well imo good/bad labels or traits only become a problem when people are trying to self report/type --- the reality is that the world is chock full of people with shitty personality traits / unappealing aspects of themselves - so in that sense yah, there's reality there. There ARE warm, positive, encouraging, role model oriented folks reaching out/giving to others, just as there are folks who are just out for themselves and who think they are the next best thing, etc etc. The labels just aren't going to be of any use for self reporting, thus most people will always want to identify with the positive-oriented traits.
    Agree, on all points.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield