• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

We built an innovative personality test, would love your feedback!

FireBeard

MBTI Type
ENTP
A friend and I challenged ourselves to create a new personality test, that would involve zero language.

600 hours later, we came up with personaprofile.com - The new standard in personality assessments

As a bit of background I work in the testing field, and my friend is a computer engineer. He hates personality tests and I hate the format too. We decided to use the Five Factor Model or Big 5, but added a unique spin to it. Created visual items from a bank of IPIP personality questions and used a forced choice approach. Then we animated those visuals.

We would love your feedback and honest opinions. There are definitely areas we know we need to improve already, but we wanted to just let it out there before we make any changes.

We need your participation to help shape some of the initial normative data. Right now things are a bit wonky and will improve with time. So please help.

It's taken some time to make this come together. It would be super awesome to hear what you think. Especially in comparison to existing assessments.I know this forum seems to lean heavily on type base assessments, but we tried to use a normative approach. Any thoughts you have on improvement and the like! It would honestly mean a lot. Thanks again and I hope you enjoy it :)

ps. I'll be looking to start analysing the data once I have enough information. A transformation may or may not be required. Happy to keep you folks updated on that process too.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Pleasant Persona
Generous pleasant tolerant peaceful flexible

Pleasant Personas are full of positive emotions and free from negative emotions. They are almost universally liked. They are described by others as confident, cheerful, relaxed, tolerant, composed, calm, good natured, warm, trustworthy, empathic, cooperative, and down-to-earth.

Cute test. The pictures are nice. I am not a very observant person so sometimes it took me a really long time to figure out what the differences between the pictures were.

FireBeard

MBTI Type
ENTP
Pleasant Persona
Generous pleasant tolerant peaceful flexible

Pleasant Personas are full of positive emotions and free from negative emotions. They are almost universally liked. They are described by others as confident, cheerful, relaxed, tolerant, composed, calm, good natured, warm, trustworthy, empathic, cooperative, and down-to-earth.

Cute test. The pictures are nice. I am not a very observant person so sometimes it took me a really long time to figure out what the differences between the pictures were.

Thanks Verona,

We have to work harder with certain items to make them a little clearer. It's our initial release and hopefully some analysis will reveal which items are poor. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it and provide your feedback!

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Imaginative Persona

Unconventional Quirky
Imaginative Personas are unconventional nonconformists who pride themselves on being different from others. They are not so much openly antisocial and disruptive in their behavior as they are fanciful, impractical, and unconcerned about the general welfare of others. They are described by others as complex, imaginative, and critical.

xXxXx_wEltschmErz_xXxXx

the manga was better
Humble Persona
Soft-Hearted Agreeable Obliging Humble Lenient
Humble Personas are peace-loving, somewhat timid, and seek social acceptance by going along with what others want. These individuals are described by others with terms such as calm, agreeable, cooperative, composed, warm, preserving, and submissive.

Some images were harder to get than others. Generally it was very straightforward and clear. Online tests with a long series of agree or disagree questions are more difficult to go through. In those, the meaning of some questions are easy to misunderstand or not understand at all, I think, and that can lead to strange results. I feel this test eliminates those issues to some extent. Here there are clear pictures in front of me. So I know more accurately what's meant and I can visualise what would be most like me. So I guess I'm trying to say I liked this thing and that it was fun.

The scores I received were all relatively close to the middle, 50. Should be accurate.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pleasant Persona Generous pleasant tolerant peaceful flexible Pleasant Personas are full of positive emotions and free from negative emotions. They are almost universally liked. They are described by others as confident, cheerful, relaxed, tolerant, composed, calm, good natured, warm, trustworthy, empathic, cooperative, and down-to-earth. Cute test. The pictures are nice. I am not a very observant person so sometimes it took me a really long time to figure out what the differences between the pictures were.
This is what I got. Don't think it is particularly accurate tho

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got:
Other-Directed Persona
Unpretentious Self-Effacing
Other-Directed Personas are easy-going. They prefer simply to hang out with their social crowd. At times they lack strong opinions on how to approach different situations and would rather be led others. They are described by others as relaxed, lazy, modest and compromising.

There are some typos and words missing. You might state at the beginning that you are supposed to focus on the person who the arrow is pointing to. Some of the images were ambiguous to me, or would be to others, and wouldn't accurately assess whichever quality it is they are supposed to be assessing. Overall, I like the idea, but it does need refining.

The Openness score is too low for me, I think. Also the Neuroticism. I don't feel the description suits me; I am not "Other-Directed" in that I place all others before myself.

Here's a contrast of these results with the Hexaco assessment I took a few days ago:

And on The Big Five Project - Personality Test

And on Big Five Personality Test | A Free, Scientific Assessment of Your Personality Traits

And on Big Five Personality Test

FireBeard

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sorry about the typos and missing words. My attention to detail isn't the greatest so doing the reporting and writing those out was a real chore! So far it seems that there is a mixed reception to the outcomes with some people finding it accurate and others disputing their results. I'm hoping that this will generally improve and become more sensitive when I apply the transformations and standardise the scores. As some of you have already mentioned some items need work.

To be completely honest I had no idea this would even work, it's a long shot. What I'm particularly pleased about is to see the variety of personas emerge with everyone's responses. [MENTION=36288]Pasta[/MENTION] thank you for your kind words!

FireBeard

MBTI Type
ENTP
I got:
Other-Directed Persona
Unpretentious Self-Effacing
Other-Directed Personas are easy-going. They prefer simply to hang out with their social crowd. At times they lack strong opinions on how to approach different situations and would rather be led others. They are described by others as relaxed, lazy, modest and compromising.

Thanks for that! Currently the average for neuroticism sits around 10 points lower than that. In all honestly I think I'm going to have to transform the scores. At the moment the assessment could be more sensitive. This would mean that your overall percentage would actually be higher, but I need more participants :)

I agree with your points, the images need refining. I'm also looking to introduce different item types, like a card sorting task where you have to pick 3 cards from from a pack of 10 or so. Plus scales that extend outside of a forced choice so something like a scale of 5 or 3 choices that you have to pick a side on. Unfortunately, it's just us 2 at the moment and we're particularly time poor :(

FireBeard

MBTI Type
ENTP
Humble Persona
Soft-Hearted Agreeable Obliging Humble Lenient
Humble Personas are peace-loving, somewhat timid, and seek social acceptance by going along with what others want. These individuals are described by others with terms such as calm, agreeable, cooperative, composed, warm, preserving, and submissive.

Some images were harder to get than others. Generally it was very straightforward and clear. Online tests with a long series of agree or disagree questions are more difficult to go through. In those, the meaning of some questions are easy to misunderstand or not understand at all, I think, and that can lead to strange results. I feel this test eliminates those issues to some extent. Here there are clear pictures in front of me. So I know more accurately what's meant and I can visualise what would be most like me. So I guess I'm trying to say I liked this thing and that it was fun.

The scores I received were all relatively close to the middle, 50. Should be accurate.

Thank you Pasta, that was exactly my thinking when trying to create this assessment. I also feel that current assessments can discriminate against people of low SES backgrounds and are typically geographically bound. To be completely transparent it needs more work, but it's our first try at it. Thank you again for your words of encouragement and I'm glad you like it!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Satisfied Persona
Unassuming Unexcitable Placid Tranquil
Satisfied Personas feel content with things as they are. They see little point in getting involved in a rat-race to struggle to the top of the heap. They see stability and security as more important than getting ahead and are likely to be content with a respectable job, earning enough money to make a living and living a 'regular' life. They are described by others with terms such as even tempered, responsible, unexcitable, and unassuming.

This is actually pretty accurate for me, I am not super-ambitious and value security even if I don't like boredom. I'm typically very laid-back and calm even in tense situations.

big five:

Most of these are typical, although I always score in the 90+ range for Openness and this was significantly lower compared to normal.

Industries

highs and lows

yes to all that.

---

My gripe with the test (besides it feeling laborious to take, with the sheer quantity of questions) is simply that it's not really clear what my choice is between. I found most of the pictures confusing and non-intuitive, I had to spend a lot of time determining what I was choosing between, and I'm like, "Why bother with designing all these pictures when words are often much faster to understand, and clearer?"

I think the visual basis is far more useful for you to "brand" and market your test, but I'm not feeling like it makes a significant contribution to the test taker and in fact felt more painful to take than the normal style tests, at least for me.

FireBeard

MBTI Type
ENTP
This is actually pretty accurate for me, I am not super-ambitious and value security even if I don't like boredom. I'm typically very laid-back and calm even in tense situations.

big five:

Most of these are typical, although I always score in the 90+ range for Openness and this was significantly lower compared to normal.

Industries

highs and lows

yes to all that.

---

My gripe with the test (besides it feeling laborious to take, with the sheer quantity of questions) is simply that it's not really clear what my choice is between. I found most of the pictures confusing and non-intuitive, I had to spend a lot of time determining what I was choosing between, and I'm like, "Why bother with designing all these pictures when words are often much faster to understand, and clearer?"

I think the visual basis is far more useful for you to "brand" and market your test, but I'm not feeling like it makes a significant contribution to the test taker and in fact felt more painful to take than the normal style tests, at least for me.

Hi there totekindly. I agree creating a personality test using words is much easier and at times much easier to understand. In fact to create these items I had to start by making typical word questions. This literally would have cut development time by 80% :)

I guess my goal was to create a more inclusive assessment. Sometimes typical personality tests can discriminate against people of low SES backgrounds, non native speakers, people with low levels of education and generally it's hard to compare across the different versions of tests.

In no way am I saying that this solves any of those problems, but I really wanted to try to see if I could make it work. The items need work and we could probably make it more fun.

Most people take between 9 - 12 minutes to complete the test which I feel is reasonable but it does depend on how you take it. You mention that the items were confusing and laborious to go through and that certainly will take longer. At this stage I'm also wondering whether the items, because some of them are somewhat complex, are adding some type of cognitive load. Especially where people have to spend quite a lot of time deciphering in what is going on. Meaning that this isn't a pure assessment of personality. This could taint the outcomes.

Look I'm really happy that you found it to be accurate and I thank you for your sincere feedback!

FireBeard

MBTI Type
ENTP
https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/personalitytest.php?do=results&id=BQkM8Re4XF

This is what I got on the forum .big 5 test . I think it's closer to being accurate . It analyzes your posts .It doesn't work very well against Facebook posts. I'm guessing it would work better on tumblr

woah 99% on Openness and 5% on Agreeableness :) WOAH!! Yeah based on the description your provided I would say that our interpretation of your responses is really far from this. This is based on the Watson Cognitive Blue services offered by IBM. It's really fascinating stuff. Thanks for pointing out that difference but again 99% and 5% holy moly! Are you in a creative field?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry about the typos and missing words. My attention to detail isn't the greatest so doing the reporting and writing those out was a real chore! So far it seems that there is a mixed reception to the outcomes with some people finding it accurate and others disputing their results. I'm hoping that this will generally improve and become more sensitive when I apply the transformations and standardise the scores. As some of you have already mentioned some items need work.

To be completely honest I had no idea this would even work, it's a long shot. What I'm particularly pleased about is to see the variety of personas emerge with everyone's responses. [MENTION=36288]Pasta[/MENTION] thank you for your kind words!

The typos and such are completely understandable. It's a rough draft. :)

And it is a great idea! Keep working on it!

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if information on my type is useful, most anything pertinent is available on my profile... if you have questions, feel free to ask here or in a message...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
woah 99% on Openness and 5% on Agreeableness :) WOAH!! Yeah based on the description your provided I would say that our interpretation of your responses is really far from this. This is based on the Watson Cognitive Blue services offered by IBM. It's really fascinating stuff. Thanks for pointing out that difference but again 99% and 5% holy moly! Are you in a creative field?
I think it overestimates openness.
I'm a consultant. I'm sure that I'm high in that but maybe not that high. The description is relatively correct tho

FireBeard

MBTI Type
ENTP
if information on my type is useful, most anything pertinent is available on my profile... if you have questions, feel free to ask here or in a measage...

Hi Obfuscate, interesting that you have quotes in your signature and you got the bookworm persona. I'd be really interested in your feedback, but in the simplest terms thank you for doing the assessment!

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Even though I should probably keep this to myself, here you go. For whatever reason, I got this:

I only think this is half true. I just don't care about things as deeply as I used to and try not to get too involved with people around me. Because they are boring. Sorries.
No I'm not.

Also, perhaps not surprisingly, I do test as SLUEI, but I think younger me would have probably been SLUAI.
What can I say? I've gotten kinda mean. :happy2:

I don't think this test is going to work all that well for people who exist in grey areas (like ambiverts or people who like organization but aren't necessarily great at it). I can also see certain rebellious/individualistic types not being happy with some of the choices given because they seem cliche or too <insert adjective>.

Overall though, I like that it's a fresh approach and I think it could be useful/accurate.

FireBeard

MBTI Type
ENTP
Even though I should probably keep this to myself, here you go. For whatever reason, I got this:

I only think this is half true. I just don't care about things as deeply as I used to and try not to get too involved with people around me. Because they are boring. Sorries.
No I'm not.

Also, perhaps not surprisingly, I do test as SLUEI, but I think younger me would have probably been SLUAI.
What can I say? I've gotten kinda mean. :happy2:

I don't think this test is going to work all that well for people who exist in grey areas (like ambiverts or people who like organization but aren't necessarily great at it). I can also see certain rebellious/individualistic types not being happy with some of the choices given because they seem cliche or too <insert adjective>.

Overall though, I like that it's a fresh approach and I think it could be useful/accurate.

Thank you Peter and it's interesting how you are aware of your personality change. If I reflect on myself I would probably say it's true for me too. I completely agree, we need to introduce different item types so that they choices are not polar opposites and there is this in between stage. That way the extreme items will carry more weight. That's very useful feedback and we will work on varied items.

I just wanted to know why you were hesitant to share your report?