User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Not to always be a contrarian, but the idea that political beliefs exist on some sort of one-dimensional line is just beyond silly and even if it were true that line would bear little resemblance to the party affiliations we have here in the US. There are a whole multitude of different ways to come up with a belief system. You could use a certain religion, you could use science, or you could use a certain philosophical outlook. You could also attempt to use combinations of these.

However, what we see in the US is none of these. In the US there are dozens of special interest groups and demographics of different sizes which each have their own agenda. Unfortunately the "winner take all" electoral system forces them to join into two different diametrically opposed parties. It's important to understand that the platform of each of these parties is simply an amalgamation of the different groups it claims to represent and changes as the power of those groups change. In other words there is no actual logical or philosophical underpinnings to the platform of either major party in the US. Anyone you meet who appears to agree with one party or the other 90% of the time (or greater) can therefore reliably be assumed to be devoid of actual thought. Such people have become trapped by the multi-billion dollar propaganda machines that each party employees and have essentially ceded their belief system to that propaganda machine. Unfortunately as the scope and sophistication of the political machines that group of people has gone from a small minority to seemingly a majority of Americans. The result is that politics in the US has become much more akin to a sports game than an intellectual debate. Right and wrong are a question of what color jersey you wear and truth (like sports referees) is hated by all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by RavioliAfficianado View Post
    Not to always be a contrarian, but the idea that political beliefs exist on some sort of one-dimensional line is just beyond silly and even if it were true that line would bear little resemblance to the party affiliations we have here in the US. There are a whole multitude of different ways to come up with a belief system. You could use a certain religion, you could use science, or you could use a certain philosophical outlook. You could also attempt to use combinations of these.

However, what we see in the US is none of these. In the US there are dozens of special interest groups and demographics of different sizes which each have their own agenda. Unfortunately the "winner take all" electoral system forces them to join into two different diametrically opposed parties. It's important to understand that the platform of each of these parties is simply an amalgamation of the different groups it claims to represent and changes as the power of those groups change. In other words there is no actual logical or philosophical underpinnings to the platform of either major party in the US. Anyone you meet who appears to agree with one party or the other 90% of the time (or greater) can therefore reliably be assumed to be devoid of actual thought. Such people have become trapped by the multi-billion dollar propaganda machines that each party employees and have essentially ceded their belief system to that propaganda machine. Unfortunately as the scope and sophistication of the political machines that group of people has gone from a small minority to seemingly a majority of Americans. The result is that politics in the US has become much more akin to a sports game than an intellectual debate. Right and wrong are a question of what color jersey you wear and truth (like sports referees) is hated by all.
    There are two basic views. The left wants to take control of things away from individuals and put it into the hands of the federal government. With enough laws, they believe that they themselves will each have more control and not be taken advantage of by rich people.

The right wishes to be left alone and that more federal government makes more problems and interference with the individual power and liberty.

There is a whole spectrum between right and left, and individual differences on various issues. However, the fundamental difference is about giving the federal government more control or less control. That's it. Those who can't distill it to that are confused.
    Likes тень liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Very sure I've pushed from "Solidly Left Wing" into the "Hardcore Left-Wing" camp in 3 years time.

BTW, the left that I know is not interested in taking control of things out of individual hands and into the government's hands. Like, at all. They want things as local as possible but as a community on the local level, not hyper-individualism. That mindset has already caused most of the problems so no sense in continuing to keep trying a failing theory. It should be very evident that there are things that require the resources of the federal government - COVID and other pandemic responses for one. Their job should be to provide what the local/community requires so that the response is as easy as possible for the populations to access.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Very sure I've pushed from "Solidly Left Wing" into the "Hardcore Left-Wing" camp in 3 years time.

BTW, the left that I know is not interested in taking control of things out of individual hands and into the government's hands. Like, at all. They want things as local as possible but as a community on the local level, not hyper-individualism. That mindset has already caused most of the problems so no sense in continuing to keep trying a failing theory. It should be very evident that there are things that require the resources of the federal government - COVID and other pandemic responses for one. Their job should be to provide what the local/community requires so that the response is as easy as possible for the populations to access.
    Power doesn't come from a vacuum though. It has to change hands. So, when the federal government has it, it is because they took it from individuals and individuals will have less of it, either by taking money and/or choices. I don't see that as a knock to big government as much as a statement of fact. And I know there are issues like abortion where the left does give people more freedom to choose.
    Likes RavioliAfficianado liked this post

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI Kephalos's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Solidly Right Wing: 75/25.

This basically tests for Conscientiousness and Openness.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I picked classical music because most of what passes for country today is awful, at least based on what I've heard on the radio and at the gym. If alt-country was on option I think I'd have picked that. I also picked motorcycle over minivan because I find motorcycles more interesting, but a minivan would be preferable for living with day to day.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post

This test was rather pointless.
    I guess we're neighbors.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"There now, that wasn't so good, was it?" - Leonard Pinth-Garnell
    Likes Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    Power doesn't come from a vacuum though. It has to change hands. So, when the federal government has it, it is because they took it from individuals and individuals will have less of it, either by taking money and/or choices. I don't see that as a knock to big government as much as a statement of fact. And I know there are issues like abortion where the left does give people more freedom to choose.
    Yeah, this is one of my big gripes about the modern, "left". They just completely refuse to acknowledge the violence inherent in the system. Whenever they propose a new tax or regulation it's always talked about who it will help, but never who it will hurt. Every dollar taken from one person has to be stolen from another. Every opportunity offered one race has to be denied another etc. If you disagree with the government the result is that eventually people with guns show up at your door and take your stuff away by force and/or lock you in a cage so small it would be illegal for a zoo to lock an animal in it. I'm not saying I inherently disagree with every liberal tax or regulation, only that they need to be honest about the level of violence required to enforce them and admit that people are being victimized by them. For instance if my kid wants to get into Harvard he will need to score 100+ points higher on the SAT than a black kid would. But liberals will never say, "we want less Asian kids going to the top colleges" even though that's the exact logical conclusion of their policies. Naked racism mascarading as, "justice". Same with all these new taxes punishing people who work hard while rewarding laziness and impudence. A lot of people my age gripe about how we can't afford kids, but really we are paying for kids, just not our own. We're paying for kids in the ghetto whose parents see them as a meal ticket instead of being able to provide our own kids with more opportunities. Once again the government is denying us of opportunity through violence, but you'll never hear those who advocate for such policies admit as much.
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

To the waters of the wild Siúil a Rún's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

I wish I was on yonder hill 'tis there I'd sit and cry my fill, And every tear would turn a mill, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I'll sell my rock, I'll sell my reel, I'll sell my only spinning wheel, To buy my love a sword of steel Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I wish, I wish, I wish in vain, I wish I had my heart again, And vainly think I'd not complain, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.

The order of preference for your cognitive functions appears to be
    Ne > Ti > Te = Ni > Fi > Fe = Se > Si

MBTI
    LGBT
    Enneagram
    638 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE None

Hardcore lefty, 80%.
    It felt more like a J/P or N/P dichotomy test.
    I don't think that it's so personal
    Anymore
    I don't think that it's irreversible
    Anymore
    Sometimes I feel like I'm a sentimental trooper.

INTP - xF Ti-Ne CP/B(S)
    6w5 - 3w4 - 8w9 so/sp
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Chaotic neutral.