• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Borderline Personality Disorder test

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Borderline personality disorder is a pathological mental condition that affects approximately 1.6% of the adult population. But the low incidence rate is probably due to its being under-diagnosed. BPD is difficult to treat, the prognosis is poor, and insurance companies often balk at paying for treatment. And it has a bad reputation with mental health clinics. The reason is that patients with BPD are difficult to get along with, they are very demanding, easily angered, have an explosive temper, and threaten to file lawsuits against doctors, nurses, and clinics more often than those with other disorders.

Here is a test I found to help you determine if you have any BPD symptoms and to what extent it may affect you.
Borderline Personality Test | Psych Central

My score was 11.

Borderline Personality Disorder Not Likely

Congratulations! You answered this screening measure in such a way as to suggest that, at this time, Borderline Personality Disorder is not a current concern of yours. Borderline Personality Disorder is characterized by a pattern of unstable and intense relationships, as well as frantic efforts to avoid abandonment -- even if it's not real.

You don't appear to have these concerns at this time. Remember, though, this test is not meant to diagnose or provide any type of treatment recommendation.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I'm in a bad relationship then I can disassociate, have a fear of abandonment and so forth. If my environment is healthy, then I'm stable. I could get either result on that test depending on what is happening in my life and how I'm being treated in a relationship.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I'm in a bad relationship then I can disassociate, have a fear of abandonment and so forth. If my environment is healthy, then I'm stable. I could get either result on that test depending on what is happening in my life and how I'm being treated in a relationship.

Now I'm no expert on bpd, but I think bdp people will have these traits even in "healthy" relationships. Like I read somewhere that personality disorders are pretty constant patterns of behavior.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Results of Your
Borderline Personality Test

You scored a total of 35

Severe Borderline Personality Disorder Likely

You answered this self-report test in a way that's consistent with people who have been diagnosed with severe Borderline Personality Disorder. This suggests that these concerns may be an issue for you as well, and something that you should seek out further assistance with this issue from a trained mental health professional immediately. Borderline Personality Disorder is characterized by a pattern of unstable and intense relationships, as well as frantic efforts to avoid abandonment -- even if it's not real.

You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, you may want to look into seeking further consultation with a trained mental health professional if you are experiencing any difficulties in daily functioning or if you'd like a more in-depth answer.

by contrast, my schizophrenia screening test result was:

Results of your
Schizophrenia Screening Test
Please interpret the results below cautiously.

You scored a total of 3

You have answered this schizophrenia screening in such a way as to suggest that you are not likely currently suffering from schizophrenia or a schizophrenia-related disorder.

You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek out further clarification about this matter from a trained mental health professional as soon as possible in order to rule out a possible schizophrenia or psychotic disorder.

And I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but not BPD.

acd

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
6 - BPD Not Likely

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
by contrast, my schizophrenia screening test result was:

And I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but not BPD.

Just goes to show you how dumb these tests are, and, pop psychology.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Just goes to show you how dumb these tests are, and, pop psychology.

Or, the alternative: I have BPD, but not schizophrenia.

(the "diagnostic" procedures I have been subject to were just as, if not more, dumb as these tests)

--

Come to think of it, that schizophrenia screening test didn't really include the main things I associate with schizophrenia, using myself as a point of reference, like a significantly dream-like perception of the world, excessive fantasising, finding hidden meanings behind stimuli and the like. o_O

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
You need to be really careful with these tests. I took this test during my last breakup and scored very highly, and I was not in a good place. It made me feel awful and really inhibited my ability to see the situation clearly and heal.

Taking it just now, I scored 17, which is "possible." I think this test is too vague to be a solid indicator of BPD, unless perhaps you scored very highly on it.

Many people suffer from fear of abandonment and when things get a little bumpy, they may act out in fear-based ways. I think it's important to assess how you act when things are good. Is this a consistent issue? Do you cause issues in your relationships when there really aren't any issues to begin with? If the answer is "no," then I think you are fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, personality disorders are lifelong; you can see them in childhood or adolescence.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Results of Your
Borderline Personality Test

You scored a total of 3

Borderline Personality Disorder Not Likely​

Congratulations! You answered this screening measure in such a way as to suggest that, at this time, Borderline Personality Disorder is not a current concern of yours. Borderline Personality Disorder is characterized by a pattern of unstable and intense relationships, as well as frantic efforts to avoid abandonment -- even if it's not real.

You don't appear to have these concerns at this time. Remember, though, this test is not meant to diagnose or provide any type of treatment recommendation.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

a psychiatrist told me that he thought i had it; i told him that he was wrong, so he agreed to drop all paperwork concerning it... this was many years ago, and i suspect if i awnsered from my old viewpoint i would score higher...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After reading your thread on a specific person with BPD and the longer list of symptoms, and after thinking about it more, I will say that this quiz is clearly inaccurate in its design. It needs to ask questions about specific expressions of behavior related to sexuality, money, etc., with enough questions that someone who is actually behaving in this way will get a high score.

People having emotional sensitivity and fears can absolutely score high on that quiz without ever acting out any risky behaviors at all. The intensity of internal feeling is mostly what I see that quiz measuring, with some vague questions about behavior, but people with the ability to process emotions and act responsibly may need some help in the face of intense emotions, but suggesting a BPD diagnosis is taking it too far imo.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
25 (likely to have BPD)

Meh, don't think so -- most of the criteria just don't fit me. I can be sort of impulsive and mercurial IRL, but not to the point where I put myself in danger or have the really intense black-and-white mood swings (especially the swings between idealization/love & devaluation/hatred) that people with BPD have. I also rarely experience a fear of abandonment and try to avoid instability and volatility in my relationships as much as possible, as I loathe interpersonal drama and prefer peaceful interaction.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After reading your thread on a specific person with BPD and the longer list of symptoms, and after thinking about it more, I will say that this quiz is clearly inaccurate in its design. It needs to ask questions about specific expressions of behavior related to sexuality, money, etc., with enough questions that someone who is actually behaving in this way will get a high score.

People having emotional sensitivity and fears can absolutely score high on that quiz without ever acting out any risky behaviors at all. The intensity of internal feeling is mostly what I see that quiz measuring, with some vague questions about behavior, but people with the ability to process emotions and act responsibly may need some help in the face of intense emotions, but suggesting a BPD diagnosis is taking it too far imo.

What do you think of the BPD test here?
Borderline Personality Disorder Test... A Quiz to Assess BPD Symptoms

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe

I took that test and got "Your Result: There is a Higher Likelihood You Have Borderline Personality Disorder". I like the other test before since there were more options than just true false.

I find it interesting that paranoia is significantly associated with BPD. When I've asked what symptoms of schizophrenia I show, the only answer I've gotten is that, at the time, I had "paranoia". But I know there is something strange with me that BPD doesn't at all cover, but I honestly have no idea if schizophrenia covers it or not, because I don't really relate to schizophrenia diagnostic criteria, e.g. a delusion is a "fixed false belief" but my beliefs change all the time, even when I am more unwell. And I don't hallucinate.

\(o_O)/

I guess I would need to see a different psychiatrist to try and get it cleared up. And also I'll try and understand if I do have this intense "fear of abandonment" or not.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I took that test and got "Your Result: There is a Higher Likelihood You Have Borderline Personality Disorder". I like the other test before since there were more options than just true false.

I find it interesting that paranoia is significantly associated with BPD. When I've asked what symptoms of schizophrenia I show, the only answer I've gotten is that, at the time, I had "paranoia". But I know there is something strange with me that BPD doesn't at all cover, but I honestly have no idea if schizophrenia covers it or not, because I don't really relate to schizophrenia diagnostic criteria, e.g. a delusion is a "fixed false belief" but my beliefs change all the time, even when I am more unwell. And I don't hallucinate.

\(o_O)/

I guess I would need to see a different psychiatrist to try and get it cleared up. And also I'll try and understand if I do have this intense "fear of abandonment" or not.

i got a 1 on the schizophrenia test and i do hallucinate. so yeah i agree it's a bad test. and have had delusions when unwell but didn't think of them as such until i was better and am like oh maybe my neighbor wasn't actually a spy set to destroy my life.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
i got a 1 on the schizophrenia test and i do hallucinate. so yeah i agree it's a bad test. and have had delusions when unwell but didn't think of them as such until i was better and am like oh maybe my neighbor wasn't actually a spy set to destroy my life.

Ah ok, idk about the BPD tests, but I take it that the schizophrenia screening test is rather horrendous then. I'm just confused about what separates paranoia in BPD from paranoia in schizophrenia spectrum disorders. :/

Lark

Borderline personality disorder is a pathological mental condition that affects approximately 1.6% of the adult population. But the low incidence rate is probably due to its being under-diagnosed. BPD is difficult to treat, the prognosis is poor, and insurance companies often balk at paying for treatment. And it has a bad reputation with mental health clinics. The reason is that patients with BPD are difficult to get along with, they are very demanding, easily angered, have an explosive temper, and threaten to file lawsuits against doctors, nurses, and clinics more often than those with other disorders.

Here is a test I found to help you determine if you have any BPD symptoms and to what extent it may affect you.
Borderline Personality Test | Psych Central

My score was 11.

Borderline Personality Disorder Not Likely

Symptomatically that sounds very, very similar to adult attachment disorders, compounded by affect regulation problems, probably as a consequence of trauma, recovery, retraumatisation cycles.

Its been years but I remember reading about it long ago and the crux then was that it is a state of a serious neurotic condition but bordering on a psychotic condition too, so its kind of like in a "healthy" unepisodic state you can present as still pretty unhealthy. The prognosis usually is not good, you are right about that, growth and development of someone who is a sufferer can be frustratingly slow and limited, so carers and families or dependents can begin to develop exhaustion or conditions and consequences of their own, which can have a knock on effect too in terms of reciprocity of suffering.

If you have family with these particular personality traits you have my sympathy, its going to be challenging, some of the best I've seen has been in the shape of dialectical behaviour therapy (I think that's its title), like a lot of different therapeutic interventions with chronic and continuous conditions its usually about taking caring to some next level places, factoring greater awareness of self care into it for professionals or family or other carers (I'm ambivalent about this because it usually looks way different in terms of prescription than I believe makes sense, recommending that some truly miracle individuals with impossible resilience be discovered somewhere to replace all the mere mortals involved for a time).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

\(o_O)/

Executive Functioning Disorder may also be involved.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...utive-function-disorder-test.html#post2827772

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I still think a lot of teenagers, emotionally intense/sensitive, people dealing with something traumatic, etc. could still score high. I also wonder about the level of self-awareness assumed here with questions like: "I engage in frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment by people who are close to me." imply that people can identify when their perceptions are warped.

I guess it can be a confusing test for someone in an abusive relationship because in that context the sense of self is destabilized, there are constant feelings of emptiness, thoughts/actions of self-harm or suicide, confusion about the nature of the people you love whether to idolize them or despise them because *their* behavior alternates between the extremes, the relationship is intense and unstable, feeling like things are unreal.

My understanding would say that most of those feelings are standard when one is in an abusive romantic relationship, but someone without BPD wouldn't be reckless with sex or money because of it. They wouldn't wander the streets looking for strangers to have sex with or gamble all their money away.