• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How To Discern Extraverted vs Introverted Intuition

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I relate much more to the Ni questions. I do Ne stuff as well but not so often or so deliberately. The problem is that both of this is N stuff and therefore it is unreasonable to expect that typical strong N person will be able to see the difference all the time. Therefore the only reasonable things that I see as good options are: 1. Link the questions more towards Se and Si that come with the packages, 2. Try to make Ne sound more creative and Ni more task/goal oriented, since that is parhaps the most basic difference.
But I think Ni is plenty creative so I'm not sure that would work in terms of a differentiation.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
But I think Ni is plenty creative so I'm not sure that would work in terms of a differentiation.

Yes it is creative, but it is creative in the sense that it fulfills goals or works towards them. While Ne in general is totally random, "artistic" and in the moment.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Couple other points. A shotgun is of limited range...as I read somewhere, Ne can tell you what everyone in the room will do...for the next few seconds. Ne is "scattershot" it doesn't know what it's aiming at, but it knows it is gonna hit something interesting. Ni, like a rifle, yep: it has a scope, and has tunnel vision, but by God it zeroes in...and hits the target.

*nods*

Some thoughts - I tend to think of it as differing scopes of optimization. Ne optimizes this moment in real time - I can find myself in any given situation and intuitively grasp how to get the most from that for myself and others, potentially shaping "reality" moment by moment. Ni as mentioned is future-oriented optimization, this moment is not as critical as the destination that potentially can shape those future "this moments".

Different targets as well, as we're not aiming for the same place as Ni.

Additionally, I've been pondering on the following for some time ... Ji has a future-oriented predictive ability, in that Ji can see where Je decisions will result in far-reaching repercussions. So the functional pairs in tandem yield some pretty interesting contrasts.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
*nods*

Some thoughts - I tend to think of it as differing scopes of optimization. Ne optimizes this moment in real time - I can find myself in any given situation and intuitively grasp how to get the most from that for myself and others, potentially shaping "reality" moment by moment. Ni as mentioned is future-oriented optimization, this moment is not as critical as the destination that potentially can shape those future "this moments".

Different targets as well, as we're not aiming for the same place as Ni.

Additionally, I've been pondering on the following for some time ... Ji has a future-oriented predictive ability, in that Ji can see where Je decisions will result in far-reaching repercussions. So the functional pairs in tandem yield some pretty interesting contrasts.

eta: does that make Ne have a laser-targeted focus on this moment, and Ni is thus the shotgun in this moment? idk, meandering.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I took your test on the main page, [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], it also gave me a high score on both Ni and Ne. I think it just so happens that intuitive types may ricochet back and forth with these two cognitive functions. It is definitely more fun for me to dabble in Ne rather than, say, Si or Te. It's more about the ease of use rather than the overall makeup for a person's type, I suppose.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How To Discern Extraverted vs Introverted Intuition?

Dont.

Unless you're Ne or Ni dominant and use it as your first function. Then just keep quiet. Its funny to watch the confusion. Just sot back and enjoy it.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I test very high in both Ni and Ne, just like Fe and Fi. I know I am a Fe and Ni user not a Fi and Ne user, as I define the functions.

Since I have been studying the functions and looking at myself and others, it seems clear that Ne and Ni are not polar opposites, but merely preferences, allowing for use beyond mere the oriented function.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are born with just the non oriented function., N first or F first and so forth. Perhaps environmental factors and choices play a role in function development.

A F dom is conscious of their Fi or Fe, but the opposite function still can be strong if less conscious or developed.

So, a N might have both Ni and Ne aspects in their personal N, but have a preference that is easier and natural.

Of course, we could all be talking past each other on the functions. What I call Se might be what someone else calls Ne. Likewise, my Ni might be what someone else calls Fi.

On top of all that self-awareness is not easy. How we preceive ourselves in our personal narrative may be really different from how we really interact with the world....

jakopic

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
There are no clear rules.
Neurotics may use both negative Ne and Ni, i.e. possibilities scare me and the outcome is doom.
Depending on the neurotic preference the person will give emphases on either one for whatever reason.

Functions are after all descriptors of joined traits and attitudes observable in reality. No matter how much confirmation bias you posses this doesn't change the fact that JCF don't exist as clear categories independent of each other.

Maybe its just N with J that makes the difference. J>N<J depending on the way we enter intuition the basis of intuitive I vs E type will be formed.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the feedback!

I am not one who values generalizations much. So I relied on conversations with other Ne and Ni user's, and pulled out things they said to form the questions. ie. The "tree branching out" metaphor was provided by an ENTP who leans pretty heavily towards Ne. That being said, maybe he sometimes approaches things from a standpoint of Ni reasoning? I don't know him very well yet.

I have noticed in this thread and in previous convo's about Ne and Ni (and Fe and Fi) that - although we can sense similarities in each other's usage - it's difficult to gain a consensus. That experiences can be individual. Maybe that is what makes it difficult to provide a general questionnaire?

My supposition at this point is that, our experience with these functions is highly dependant on: the degree to which we possess them and {more importantly} how we use other functions to process and support them.

What do you Guy's think?

i think that it would take an entirely different variety of typology to cover this subject in depth, and even then it would be hard to tell if we could picture an outsider's process with any sort of accuracy... it feels like expecting to find a correlation between the five love languages and mbti... this has been on my back burner for awhile now, and i can't really come up with a better way to explain this (though i wouldn't say the two functions in question are an equivalent comparison)... i am not as well versed in the functions as many of the people on this forum are... i would love to be informed if those with a better understanding of the subject are able to come to a consensus... i may still find fault with that consensus if it doesn't match my experience... finding fault is ever so much easier than putting in the work to find a real solution, but i think what you are trying to do is very interesting...

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne
I notice patterns as they surface and trust they will go somewhere
I enjoy playing with random interconnections and patterns
I keep following tangents and new ideas without limiting myself to one
I am constantly generating new ideas and creative ways of doing things
I wonder what else is possible
I grasp what is going on behind the scenes and under the surface
I consider possibilities that I may or may not act on
I play hunches and trust my intuition

I think about the present and how it affects the future
I'm good at picking up at emerging patterns

Ni
I try to foresee the implications and likely effects
I come up with new ways of seeing things
When solving problems, I frequently have an "aha" moment which seems to come out of nowhere
I'm good at synthesizing a lot of information, understanding complex patterns and arriving at insights
I develop a fundamental change in the approach or underlying assumptions
I think about the long range future
If I get a new insight, it energizes me
I search for the most important patterns and themes to understand meaning and significance

I envision solutions to problems that others haven't yet recognized
I come up with new ideas or perspectives by synthesizing various opposing points of view