• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Many Kids Should You Have?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Research suggests that having two children is still most people's idea of the 'ideal family size. But in my opinion, even 3 or 4 children is perfect. It all depends largely on what you want. I have 3 and I'm doing great. I mean, without the help of Daycare, I don't think I could handle everything.
I would have liked that. I had a change of mind durin my marriage. When I married, I thought 0 kids is fine. Give a few years, I thought 2-3 kids are fine. But none of that could be accomplished. She can not have children. Not one, or any number.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
'You should have one kid.'

No.
64839bcc09bea84184378ebd8c967304.jpeg

You Shouldn't Have Kids

You shouldn't have kids, but mostly because you don't want them!
You don't particularly like kids, and you certainly don't like them enough to have them around 24-7.

You are childfree by choice, and you doubt you'll change your mind. It annoys you when people say you will.
There's nothing wrong with not having kids. You just wish the rest of the world agreed.

Lark

I dont plan on having any children, so it probably will be more to do with what my wife would want.

There was a time that I wanted to have as large a family as possible, I mean like as many as would be physically possible but I think I've aged out of that possibility.

Objectively, I think that people should have as many children as necessary to carry on the family name or secure whatever legacies there are. It is more theory than reality but I tend to think of this in a sense of a family being like one of the houses in Dune, I dont think of this idea as being about privilege or power. I think of this as being about tradition, posterity, order and planning. So much of life at present appears to be entirely by accident and I think this is in part what makes it terrible for people at a personal or societal level, accident and chaos are never going to be preferable to the alternatives.

Its a fact that with rising prosperity family size decreases, it is not simply a matter of you dont need as many children to "push the plow" because now you have a machine to do that, its also about individual and social expectations, woman's liberation (which properly understood is also men's liberation). This is why some of the Malthusian ideas about the "the poor, they are too many" is flawed or Spencer's ideas about the "perishers" is mistaken too.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You Should Have One Kid

Having a child is something you'd like to experience, but you're not sure about a crew of kids.
While there are downsides to having an only child, you would be able to devote all your resources to him or her.

You want to be able to balance a family with your other goals, and that would be hard to do with a lot of kids.
One kid is totally manageable for you. It may be a bit stressful to have a child, but it would be totally worth it!