• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

arm-chair logic tests

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
hehe these are cute: arm-chair logic - logic test

Managed to get 100% on the first one, but haven't finished the second one yet.

P.S.: 80% on the second one.

Got Answers 2, 5, and 12 wrong.

Kas

Fabula rasa
That was funny.

1st- 93%
2nd- 87%

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got 87% on the 1st. 100% on the 2nd.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ok, I lied. I only scored 87% on the second test.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's funny how much intuition plays into these tests. I got 100% on these things, but only because I know when they are speaking English-Logic vs English-Natural, and in this case it's a hybrid of the two languages. The vocabulary and grammar of Natural English, so for example "up" is ambiguous because of how many meanings that word has in English, yet a mix of the very unambiguous rules of Logic and the ambiguous natural rules.

"All rational arguments concerning the economy and the banking crisis must be considered conscientiously. However some of the arguments one hears from economists are clearly not rational.

Conclusion
Therefore one should appreciate that some of the arguments economists propound must not be considered conscientiously."

So the conclusion doesn't follow because it never mentions how you should treat non-rational arguments in the premises. That's English-Logic, which is minimalistic and thus only says exactly what is meant and nothing more. However Natural English is a very exclusive and implicit language, and so in normal speech it's implied that non-rational arguments shouldn't be considered conscientiously by what's been said, it just doesn't literally give you the extra words. As such I find this kind of logic very naive and misleading, especially for those on the autism spectrum, as they might start to interpret Natural English as Logical English, when neither language is actually more logical (Logic is just less noisy for academic and similar purposes).

A similar example is:-

"I filled the tank halfway."

Logical English: "The tank contains at least 50% of whatever goes in it."
Natural English: "The tank contains roughly 50% of whatever goes in it, and no more"

The original question also misleads because the economic nature of the arguments is assumed from previous context in the second sentence and the word "appreciate" shows up in the conclusion, both of which are invalid for Logic but perfectly valid in Natural English.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's funny how much intuition plays into these tests.

It's called a Logic test for a reason. That explanation is Thinking, not Intuition. Intuition is only a perceiving function, it doesn't indicate which facts are True/False You seem like a Ti-user btw. You are making a point that the questions are misleading because they are dependent on a logical system, which you recognized.

The test itself is pure Ti. It is ignoring objective facts according to what is true or false...Which is why my result was so embarrassing - as an EII/Te valuing type, these questions immediately began to drain me. I didn't adapt to the logic of this test, only realizing the external facts and therefore concluding that it was valid/invalid according to objective fact e.g. That men don't only think about sex, that ducks don't bark, that paris is not actually in new zealand, etc. As an Fi-ego type, I couldn't help but think it is wrong to associate men with that behavior, for example and thus chose "invalid". I could't help but answer based on that, it seems.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's called a Logic test for a reason. That explanation is Thinking, not Intuition. Intuition is only a perceiving function, it doesn't indicate which facts are True/False You seem like a Ti-user btw. You are making a point that the questions are misleading because they are dependent on a logical system, which you recognized.

Yeah they are dependent on a logical system, but only partly, in contrast to the purely logical tests that don't use natural language rules at all. I think these kinds of tests in OP are confusing because they rely on the non-logical ability to distinguish which rules are in play when. The only reason they're aren't fully natural language tests of logical ability is because ambiguity makes it impossible to determine answers half the time (like that natural phrase I just used, "half the time").

I called that ability to distinguish which rules are used when 'intuition' in the layman's sense, not typological sense. The same kind of intuition that means you can work out the answer to a quiz question based on the fact you've done these tests before, or that you know the purpose of the test, rather than actually knowing the answer.

Finally I think logic is a skill, not a personality trait. Logic is also a type of language one can become more fluent in, and stubbornly interpreting natural language as Logic is often confused with logic of the non-language kind (like Spock from Star Trek, who's not actually very logical). That Logic language is named so because it tests a person's skill at logic more precisely than natural language, but should not be confused with the concept of logic itself. There's just as much logic behind natural language, but it's usually broader and more abstract, so not a very testable thing.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
LOL I failed: 87% Absolutely no idea what I did or where I went wrong.

I think it's time to put that "Introductory Logic" book to use at last.

The weird thing though was I didn't find it hard to, as someone else put it "adapt to the logic of the test", at least in some areas. To isolate the questions from actual objective reality and focus only on what was written. Not sure if that's from internet interaction forcing me to learn Ti or if it's the fantasy-inclined, "sure-that-sounds-possible" side of myself kicking in and making it easy to entertain the isolated reality presented.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
87% for the first, and 80% for the second.

Lernulo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I got 100% 94% and in fact Im a feeling more than a thinking