• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Combination Enneagram and MBTI Test

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks, [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], for sharing the test. I'm already learning things.

As I developed this test, one feedback I got is that some people really have a hard time with / feel uncomfortable with forced-choice type questions where you must choose one over another. While I completely sympathize, from a test maker's perspective, giving the option for a tie makes finding a result almost impossible. One way around this is to ask 120 questions hoping for a (slight) majority vote on something asked many times in slightly different ways. So having chosen the short test format with forced-choices, I apologize to this who find it irritating or difficult. :shrug:

Are there other tests on which you didn't find this problem?

I have to say as one who had taken many tests, being on the developing end has really changed how I see tests. There are a lot of variables (many beyond my control) to juggle in order to get accurate results for most people, for example, mood, self-awareness, knowing the Enneagram and MBTI, quality of attention in the moment, etc. Versus the things I can control: wording, sequence, scoring algorithms, etc. I have reached a point that if at least 80% of the test takers feel okay about their result, then I'm feeling pretty good about the test.

I'd be interested to hear from the community about how they see personality tests generally and what they expect from them and like or dislike in them.

Thanks.

Re bolded, I don't usually have this problem. I wonder if it is a function of possibly trying to do too much with too few questions. The result of this is likely to be inconsistent results. I could take the test six months later and get a different result for instance.

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the idea of having one test for enneagram and MBTI as a whole. I also liked that the first half of the test had that style where you pick one that's "most" and one that's "least" like you for each three statements--that's refreshing as I haven't taken another test that does that quite the same way. I understand why there's no "middle option" for the second half of the test, but I still wish one was there for the things that I really just can't compromise on.

Thanks for the feedback.
As I wrote to highlander, I sympathize with the desire to say "both" or "none" sometimes.
I, too, wanted a test that did both (without 100 questions). So I'm glad you liked that.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got ENFP and type 2. I am neither.

Dividing J from P merely on the grounds of adaptability may not be the best. I adapt like a MoFo, just that is because I can reassess my vision so fast..... Ni in service to Fe..... also being so damn understanding means I can adjust my standards as needed....

I have looked at type 2 a few times, but it has never come up in any enneagram test before....it is a popular enfj fix, but it isn't me (I don't think...haha, I could be wrong and your test could be far superior).....

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Re bolded, I don't usually have this problem. I wonder if it is a function of possibly trying to do too much with too few questions. The result of this is likely to be inconsistent results. I could take the test six months later and get a different result for instance.

Oh, perhaps I misunderstood. I saw this ...
I also had a hard time picking the best option in some of the latter questions because two answers would seem equally right.

And, yes, I agree that using fewer questions is more challenging and that each answer carries more weight (and so can be less reliable). I suppose that is part of what I am testing out - "Can it be done well enough with fewer questions?"

I know I've had friends take it more than once when they were in different moods (especially 4's) and they did get different results. I am not sure how to account for that in an online test situation. And I agree that that is probably one of the reasons for longer tests.

Thanks for the feedback and helping me continue working on this tricky problem (creating a personality test that is fairly accurate and that people don't hate taking).

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got ENFP and type 2. I am neither.

Dividing J from P merely on the grounds of adaptability may not be the best. ...

I have looked at type 2 a few times, but it has never come up in any enneagram test before. ... (I don't think...haha, I could be wrong and your test could be far superior).....

Thanks for the feedback.
If you change your mind and become a 2, let me know ;)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And, yes, I agree that using fewer questions is more challenging and that each answer carries more weight (and so can be less reliable). I suppose that is part of what I am testing out - "Can it be done well enough with fewer questions?"

If you've got the time and resources, perhaps you could do kind of like what the socionics test does--a short version and a long version. What you have now would be the "short" version, but you could also make a "longer" version that goes a bit more in depth for people who don't mind the amount of time it takes and/or think it can give them more accurate results.

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you've got the time and resources, perhaps you could do kind of like what the socionics test does--a short version and a long version. What you have now would be the "short" version, but you could also make a "longer" version that goes a bit more in depth for people who don't mind the amount of time it takes and/or think it can give them more accurate results.

Thanks for the suggestion, [MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION]. We have been thinking of developing something like that. Perhaps after the first part (if not a separate test all together) you could have the option of more in-depth questions. The current version is more for mainstream audiences than this more interested and sophisticated community. And so, a further version could have a more detailed manual as well for people further along the self-awareness / personal growth path. In fact I had a longer test a couple iterations back and many felt it was too long an tedious. I like the idea of giving people a choice. :)

Edit: You are also right about "time and resources". Just managing to keep this project going while life happens all around, but one can hope : )

Fregoli

MBTI Type
ESTP
Your answers indicate that you are likely this Enneagram type:

Type 7 - The Enthusiast
Type Sevens naturally tune in to what is exciting and share their enthusiasms with others. They are uninhibited, adventurous, and comfortable taking risks. They can be idealistic and want to make a contribution to the world. Independence is very important to them, and they do not like to feel obligated or limited. Emotionally, Sevens focus on positive emotions and avoid painful feelings and boredom. Due to all their activities, Sevens may become easily distracted and scattered.

Your answers also indicate that are likely this Jungian type:

ESTP
ESTP's are very outgoing, adventurous, and constantly on the go. Charming and friendly with great people skills, they relish being the center of attention. Their time horizon is the here and now, and they seek to make as much of it as possible. They can be impulsive and restless risk-takers, and impatient with anything or anyone that limits them. They do not like authority or rules, but can be loyal to those they care about.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also I wanted to say I really liked the ISFP description. I felt it summarized how I am, while avoiding some of the more common mbti/dichotomy stereotypes.

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought it was an interesting test.
Also I wanted to say I really liked the ISFP description. I felt it summarized how I am, while avoiding some of the more common mbti/dichotomy stereotypes.

Thanks, [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION]. Individuals are always more complex than can be captured in a paragraph (or a type), and yet there is something about reading a description that seems to fit well. I am glad you felt that way, and that the test seemed accurate for you.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Type 3 - The Achiever
Type Threes work hard to achieve their goals and success. They are good at seeing what's possible and figuring out how to get the job done. They value and know how to make a good impression. Emotionally, Threes contain their feelings and offer a friendly and optimistic face to the world. They have difficulty acknowledging their deeper feelings, and they can overlook the emotional needs of others. Three's absorption in their own pursuits can lead them to overtax themselves and the people around them.

INFP
INFP's are quietly idealistic and interested in being of service to others. They are creative, have quick minds, and are able to see possibilities. They are contemplative and have a well-developed set of principles by which they live. They are loyal and compassionate, but need lots of time alone. They are modest to the point of being self-critical and are sensitive to feeling rejected. They do well when they are acknowledged for their depth of feelings and ideas.​

As a Three, I'd say that the Three description is pretty good. Overtaxing others does happen, and it's not something that most descriptions address. When the Three picks up the workahol, the people around him have to pick up the slack in every other area of life. Bravo for addressing that.

Intuitively, we'd think that an INFP / 3 combination is pretty much impossible. But taking a look at the descriptions, there's no reason why both can't fit at the same time to some degree. Both hate being rejected and want to be accepted, and they're both sensitive in that way. And, as your descriptions say, both see can see possibilities and act upon them.

The only problem in combining these two types is that we're stating that the participant can't find his feelings and that, at the same time, he wants his feelings to be acknowledged.

But if one or the other doesn't fit me so well, I can simply say that and the test tries some more. And if it's still stuck after that, it asks "screw it; which of these are you?" That's actually a pretty good approach. The options that it presents in these extra questions does make sense. You're casting a wider net, but not enough to just list all the types. Very few tests have that sort of iterative feedback mechanism, where the test presents a result and asks the participant if it seems legit, course-corrects accordingly, and then presses onward again. More tests need to do that.

And this odd combo also indicates that your test doesn't simply map Enneagram type to some MBTI type and call it a day; it analyzes each with the same set of questions. And the questions are presented fluidly enough to make the test flow naturally.

That's in the general.

As far as how it pegged me -- I relate to intuition first and foremost anyway, and so I wouldn't say that the INFP description is flat-out wrong. Seriously, it didn't screw up.

What I like about being emotionally positive is that it helps me get along well with others.
What I like about being emotionally expressive is that it helps me relate emotionally to others.
What I like about being emotionally self-controlled is that minimizes emotional entanglements with others.
The way I read this that it shows what I value. I might value, say, being emotionally expressive because it helps me relate. It might be easy to express myself. But it might be hard for me. Though even if it's hard for me, I can still value it (see also: the basis of Socionics).

It's fine if that's what you mean by it. You may want to clarify whether you mean to tease out what the person values or what the person does.

Thanks, [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], for sharing the test. I'm already learning things.

As I developed this test, one feedback I got is that some people really have a hard time with / feel uncomfortable with forced-choice type questions where you must choose one over another. While I completely sympathize, from a test maker's perspective, giving the option for a tie makes finding a result almost impossible. One way around this is to ask 120 questions hoping for a (slight) majority vote on something asked many times in slightly different ways. So having chosen the short test format with forced-choices, I apologize to this who find it irritating or difficult. :shrug:
The first section's "forced-choicedness" was a bit difficult to navigate, but the rest of the test was fine. I'll have to mull over potential solutions to that one.

It's a sticky issue in psychometerics overall -- how many "points" do you need to present? Two? Five? A hundred?

You don't want to force the participant to choose between one or the other, absolutely, black-and-white. Present the freedom to say that one's "kind of right," and, if possible, that they're about equal. However, you also don't want to ask at a level of precision that's just plain impractical.

I think five points is (almost always) a good balance.

Sometimes, a test needs a forced-choice, but not a black-and-white one. Depends on whether you need to have the user choose at least a little bit of preference in order to process his results meaningfully. Having six (or any even number of) points leaves out the "I don't know" option, which may give results that are more practical to process.
I have to say as one who had taken many tests, being on the developing end has really changed how I see tests. There are a lot of variables (many beyond my control) to juggle in order to get accurate results for most people, for example, mood, self-awareness, knowing the Enneagram and MBTI, quality of attention in the moment, etc. Versus the things I can control: wording, sequence, scoring algorithms, etc. I have reached a point that if at least 80% of the test takers feel okay about their result, then I'm feeling pretty good about the test.
Yeah, no kidding.

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But if one or the other doesn't fit me so well, I can simply say that and the test tries some more. And if it's still stuck after that, it asks "screw it; which of these are you?" That's actually a pretty good approach. The options that it presents in these extra questions does make sense. You're casting a wider net, but not enough to just list all the types. Very few tests have that sort of iterative feedback mechanism, where the test presents a result and asks the participant if it seems legit, course-corrects accordingly, and then presses onward again. More tests need to do that.

Thanks for the feedback. We decided that given the technological possibility of real time feedback (verses the old paper tests and scoring at the end) that we could incorporate the test takers input to continually refine and narrow down options. Thanks for noticing :) We also decided that, in the end, it was better to give results that resonate rather than ones that "should" be right. A tough decision, actually, but it lead to a different kind of test.

And this odd combo also indicates that your test doesn't simply map Enneagram type to some MBTI type and call it a day; it analyzes each with the same set of questions. And the questions are presented fluidly enough to make the test flow naturally.

The two aren't connected in the test, though the idea of reinforcing possibilities based on statistical correlations crossed my mind. [Did I really just say that?? Such a 5!! :blush: ] Anyway, I am glad they flow well together and not feel like two test crammed into one.

You may want to clarify whether you mean to tease out what the person values or what the person does.

Thanks. I'll think about this. I think I was being purposefully vague to account to the internal (4) and external (6) versions of emotional relating to others. But given your feedback, it's worth another look.

Thanks, again.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The two aren't connected in the test, though the idea of reinforcing possibilities based on statistical correlations crossed my mind. [Did I really just say that?? Such a 5!! :blush: ]
That's an interesting approach. It'd be a bit of work to incorporate those correlations, but they may help flesh out the second and third tries. If you have a bunch of people getting to the "screw it, just pick a type" page, you might consider working with those correlations. If not, then :shrug:

Also, I edited the hell out of my post to clarify things further. (I do that a lot.)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And this odd combo also indicates that your test doesn't simply map Enneagram type to some MBTI type and call it a day; it analyzes each with the same set of questions. And the questions are presented fluidly enough to make the test flow naturally.​

I absolutely love this aspect of the test, too. One of my biggest insecurities about my type has been "Am I Fe, or is it just heavy 9 influences?" I got ISTJ 9 on this test, and I won't challenge it because I did my absolute best to answer every question with as little bias towards my current typing as possible. If I were to consider any other type, I would consider ISTJ first, because I'm absolutely sure of Si/Ne (and identify with Te more than Ti). This test has actually got me really wondering about ISFJ 9 or ISTJ 9 now. Or maybe that's just because my dad and most of my friends are all ISTJs and I've picked up a lot from them. :laugh:

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's an interesting approach. It'd be a bit of work to incorporate those correlations, but they may help flesh out the second and third tries. If you have a bunch of people getting to the "screw it, just pick a type" page, you might consider working with those correlations. If not, then :shrug:

Also, I edited the hell out of my post to clarify things further. (I do that a lot.)

Thanks for the idea. Since so far about 80% agree with the test's initial results (before they have a chance to give feedback) and only 3% get to the "screw it page" (nice short hand), it may not be worth the effort (luckily!). Finding a good set of correlation figures to work with may be harder than the coding and algorithm for factoring it in. I guess I say that because, while there are some significant correlations, many aren't, and even then individuals (versus averages) vary so much.

How useful do you find the correlations when typing?

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I absolutely love this aspect of the test, too.

Nice :)

This test has actually got me really wondering about ISFJ 9 or ISTJ 9 now.

I think of each function as a continuum and that a person can be anywhere along that continuum. So if you are borderline T/F, then it will be harder for a test to make that distinction, and declare you on e or the other will be less helpful. I also think you may be more one or the other in different situations.

My 2 cents.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nooooo! I'm a robot :sadbanana:

INTP 5

not that these are particularly shocking test results because they are both kind of common for me to get, but I don't know that it fits the exterior in a way... in some ways yes and in others no... I got lost as to how to answer from time to time really :unsure:

I guess, to clarify what I just said there... I act as I need to most of the time, not as I want to

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know I've had friends take it more than once when they were in different moods (especially 4's) and they did get different results. I am not sure how to account for that in an online test situation. And I agree that that is probably one of the reasons for longer tests.

This is exactly how it struck me - that if I was in a different mood, I could have answered some of the questions differently.