• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Towers Of Hanoi as an extraversion/introversion test

á´…eparted

passages
Well I suppose it fits. I saw the relative pattern to the puzzle pretty quickly, and realized that you don't exactly have to follow a solid pattern. In essence it's a "solve itself" puzzle to me.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
They found that extroverts were more likely to complete more variants of the puzzle in a three-minute period, suggesting those who are good at problem-solving are also good at living their lives to the full.

How does this even...?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That was fun. Give me something harder so I can feel like an idiot.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My thought process was essentially -- "Oh, right; I can just move this piece here and this other piece there, and there are smaller ones and eventually they can all be migrated over and I can mess with the stackings and shit and I'll get the answer. Yeah that's good enough." So I had a halfassed solution in less than 20 seconds. I don't know whether that counts as having solved the problem in less than 3 minutes.

Here's the abstract for the actual research article: How Extraversion + Leads to Problem-Solving Ability - Springer

The study states that Hedonism and Stimulation, two subtraits of the Big Five's Extroversion trait that deal with "living life to its fullest," are linked to succeeding in this task. Since all of the subtraits in a trait are supposed to be at least somewhat positively correlated (otherwise, why lump Gregariousness and Hedonism into the same trait?), it's kind of extrapolated from there that Extroversion plays a role.
Extraversion predicted problem-solving ability through the mediating effects of pleasure-oriented values, Hedonism and Stimulation. The findings suggest that being high in extraversion or pleasure-orientation may not be sufficient for the individual to be good at solving problems. However, extraversion in association with pleasure orientation leads to greater problem-solving ability.
Being engaged in puzzles and deriving pleasure from solving them makes you better at solving those puzzles. The article, especially its title, doesn't follow from this at all.

But that doesn't mean that this phenomenon isn't interesting. It's still interesting as hell.

Just.. .. c'mon, media. C'mon.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My thought process was essentially -- "Oh, right; I can just move this piece here and this other piece there, and there are smaller ones and eventually they can all be migrated over and I can mess with the stackings and shit and I'll get the answer. Yeah that's good enough." So I had a halfassed solution in less than 20 seconds. I don't know whether that counts as having solved the problem in less than 3 minutes.

Here's the abstract for the actual research article: How Extraversion + Leads to Problem-Solving Ability - Springer

The study states that Hedonism and Stimulation, two subtraits of the Big Five's Extroversion trait that deal with "living life to its fullest," are linked to succeeding in this task. Since all of the subtraits in a trait are supposed to be at least somewhat positively correlated (otherwise, why lump Gregariousness and Hedonism into the same trait?), it's kind of extrapolated from there that Extroversion plays a role.
Being engaged in puzzles and deriving pleasure from solving them makes you better at solving those puzzles. The article, especially its title, doesn't follow from this at all.

But that doesn't mean that this phenomenon isn't interesting. It's still interesting as hell.

Just.. .. c'mon, media. C'mon.

Thank you for taking the time to look up and clarify that line of the article. The title was absolutely ripe with fascinating implications but that line made me feel an absurd amount of grief. Like my dog had just died or something.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They found that extroverts were more likely to complete more variants of the puzzle in a three-minute period, suggesting those who are good at problem-solving are also good at living their lives to the full.

Ugh, I hate this quote.

I can definitely see how Extroversion can help to solve problems with the propensity to attack them in a hands on way. There are some things a person can more efficiently learn about by engaging with instead of planning for, especially problems that feature things that aren't in one's experience, either first hand or by proxy.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thank you for taking the time to look up and clarify that line of the article. The title was absolutely ripe with fascinating implications but that line made me feel an absurd amount of grief. Like my dog had just died or something.
it actually took a little while to find because the article doesn't cite a source. The next article I stumbled upon used another article as its source. And then other stuff. There was a huge game of reverse-telephone going on there, as per usual.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Guys, According to this science I'm a introvert.

I guess I was wrong about myself T.T

Science is never wrong.

Damn it, now I have to reprogram myself to be antisocial and stuff.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Guys, According to this science I'm a introvert.

I guess I was wrong about myself T.T

Science is never wrong.

Damn it, now I have to reprogram myself to be antisocial and stuff.
Or you could just become (even more?) really really cheerful around people and be the life of the party all the time and so on etc. etc. to improve your score on Towers of Hanoi.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=22264]jscrothers[/MENTION] ...Whoops. Took the wrong quiz...

Anyway, I played the Tower of Hanoi Online. Used only 5 to ply. *first time playing*

Took me 52 moves and 152 seconds to solve it.

According to the article, It took extroverted participants less then 3 minutes to solve it.

But they didnt put down how many blocks the participants played with...

But if they DID use only 5, then I am among the extroverted.

YAY :3

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=22264]jscrothers[/MENTION] ...Whoops. Took the wrong quiz...

Anyway, I played the Tower of Hanoi Online. Used only 5 to ply. *first time playing*

Took me 52 moves and 152 seconds to solve it.

According to the article, It took extroverted participants less then 3 minutes to solve it.

But they didnt put down how many blocks the participants played with...

But if they DID use only 5, then I am among the extroverted.

YAY :3
What about for 1 block?

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oops, I meant 1 disk.

I think I totally misread and just fucked up a joke I was trying to make

19751showing.jpg

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Pfft, Towers of Hanoi? I can solve a megaminx. Doesn't make me extroverted.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah? Well, I can solve uh

uhm

towers of hanoi

Ok but seriously though - there's a very simple mathematical formula to solve every tower of hanoi in the least number of moves.

If there's an odd number of discs, you move the first disc to the right peg. If there's an even number, you move the first disc to the middle peg. After that you never put an even disc on and even disc, and never put an odd disc on an odd disc. This leaves you with always one legal move which will force the least number solution no matter how many discs there are.