• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to take tests (mindset, etc.)

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I've taken a fair amount of online type tests. Yes, I know that online tests can't really be the final word on type (I've settled on Fi/Ne, Ne/Fi through tests, introspection, input, and knowledge of the functions). But when taking online tests I'm not sure what to consider. They say to go with your gut, but then I tend to only think of myself in ONE situation. For instance, I say that I act social and outgoing, but that's exclusively around my close circle. I don't take other situations into account, where I act quite differently.

So what do you think? Go with the gut feeling, even though it's based on a tiny amount of data? Or ponder about it to see things from all angles?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You should not think only about one concrete situation. You should consider how you act most of the time in most of the situation during your whole life, not only lately or in the moment.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's usually good to take them sober.

Or maybe not, I dunno lol

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I go with my gut. With too much thinking, I find that every answer is correct.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I usually go with the gut, just choose the answer that seems the most accurate. If I think about question for too much time I tend to overthink ( because it could be a tricky question or the person who wrote it could mean something completely different or something).

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I usually go with the gut, just choose the answer that seems the most accurate. If I think about question for too much time I tend to overthink ( because it could be a tricky question or the person who wrote it could mean something completely different or something).

This has always been my main problem with tests. If I study, I risk knowing too much information an begin creating exceptions and justifications for different answers. A-seems most true, but maybe A is the answer that is supposed to be so obvious and so blanketed that it is only true in certain scenarios, it is written a bit too openly-the wording seems off for A. maybe it is C, C seems more specific and if you look at it from this angle and consider this aspect then C seems correct. I'll go with C. Then it ends up being A. What is this question supposed to mean, what is it trying to imply, on and on until the original intent is lost. School tests, it is why I never studied-or if I did it was minimal. Knowing too much can make it seem like you know nothing at all~my awful current philosophy. That is more for simple LCD school tests.

Same with personality tests, except I care a bit more. I do not trust myself to usually answer them accurately, because I can see where I might answer them in a way that I WANT vs. what is actual. So yeah, my touch and go philosophy right now, is not to drown myself in too much information. The more I know the more biased I become, the more information I have the more ways I can see things, the further I get away from what is actually true. But it is tempting, a forbidden fruit sort of situation

But I don't know. If you are able to narrow it down to your satisfaction, and that works for you, then I say go with your gut. Go with what you think fits right, doesn't mean that you cannot change your mind later. If you don't want to, don't trust yourself, or you don't think you can narrow it down accurately, then don't feel pressured to. Maybe take it in a quiet room, limit distractions as much as possible, then time yourself. I don't know seems to depend on the individual- vague unhelpful answer but sorry.