• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Five Temperaments test!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those are not right though, after reading the descriptions of the temperaments, they don't only match SJ's or guardians.
Each of the four SJ's is Melancholy (in Control), blended with wach of the Interaction Styles, or four temperaments in Inclusion. (Chart the Course-IST/INJ: Melancholy; Behind the Scenes-ISF/INP: Phlegmatic or Supine; Get Things Going-ESF/ENP: Sanguine; In Charge-EST/ENJ: Choleric. ISTJ-pure Melancholy, ISFJ- Phlegmatic Melancholy or Supine Melancholy, ESFJ- Sanguine Melancholy, ESTJ- Choleric Melancholy.

Thanks, Eric B. I tried your archetypes test, but it was too difficult for me (I've tried finding how my processes fit within the archetypes with little success -- it seems like a few processes can fit a single archetype).
You could still post your responses. As you see with others who've posted their answers, we can still get good clues from which archetypes they match their functions with. One person assigned a single function to almost all of the shadow roles, and it turned out this was the "inferior" (aspirational/projective) process of her professed type, and it happens that many people will see their inferior playing all those negative roles. After all, in original four-process theory, the inferior WAS "the shadow" and the most negative ego function. So that was great evidence of her type.
I had my mom answer the 5 temperaments test with me in mind, and here are the results:

Melancholy 68
Phlegmatic 64
Sanguine 63
Supine 55
Choleric 55

This is very interesting! I guess I'm not so Supine afterall! Rather, it would appear that I am either a MelPhleg (INFJ) or MelSang (ISTP). ISTP is what my professional MBTI test came up with and is one of the two best fit type profiles I identify with (the other is ISFP, although ask Jeffster -- he is SURE I am not ISFP).

Any thoughts?

Well, I guess you're taking into consideration the Johari Window (how others see you, and perhaps even things that are unknown to yourself. With that kind of a test, it may even be better, since you are picking traits out of a chart (it's not getting inside the real you, psychometrically, and it's easy to avoid traits you don't like).

So MelSan and MelPhleg are very similar, both cognitively, as well as being Melancholy on the social level, and a concrete conative temperament. They are both what I call "aspective harmonicists" (Tandem names thread), using both Se/Ni and Fe/Ti (though in reversed order). ISFP also has the aspective perception, but is systemic in judgment (FiTe). Again, the Archetype test can still help sort out those, even if everything does not fall into proper place. In any case, it seems you lean unanimously towards aspective, so ISFJ (which is circumspective-Si/Ne) is most likely out.

TheJimbo

[Professed] Type: xNTP

Sanguine 52
Choleric 51
Melancholy 45
Phlegmatic 42
Supine 24

SanChlor, so you can fill that "x" with an E, and there, it matches!

Last edited:

Snow Turtle

I'd love a little help with this... :D

Choleric - 38
Sanguine - 51
Supine - 63
Melancholy - 63 (Awesome... house number came up twice :D)
Phlegmatic 65

This fits in perfectly with ISFJ, right?
I'm not too certain because I get the impression I might be over-evaluating myself. Would there be a more accurate system?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah that fits pretty well. ISF can be either Supine or Phlegmatic, and SJ is Melancholy (The Phlegmatic and Melancholy part of that even agree with the established Keirsey/Berens model).

The most accurate version would be the APS itself (or basically, the FIRO-B). But those aren't free.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't ask friends to rate it for me, but this is how I self-rated

Choleric - 40
Phlegmatic - 57
Melancholic - 63
Sanguine - 13 (lol!)
Supine - 46

Melancholic/Phlegmatic combo seems fairly accurate. (and to be honest, I don't think Supine should be as high as it is. Upon reading the Supine description, I don't think I'm terribly 'Supine-ish' :smile:)

B

beyondaurora

Supine 40
Melancholy 38
Sanguine 30
Phlegmatic 27
Choleric 12

I had my mom answer the 5 temperaments test with me in mind, and here are the results:

Melancholy 68
Phlegmatic 64
Sanguine 63
Supine 55
Choleric 55

I took the test again today (without looking at my old scores first):

Melancholy 56
Sanguine 54
Choleric 52
Phlegmatic 52
Supine 46

What was I smoking when I took the test the first time?! It's totally off compared to today's result and my mom's analysis of me.

Looks like ISTP (or ESFJ if we flip Melancholy and Sanguine).

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
Choleric - 50
Melancholy - 49
Sanguine - 43
Phlegmatic - 37
Supine - 27

Using their scoring, where you discard the 1s and 2s.

Not a surprise, since I'm so close to the borderline on all the MBTI functions.

What I can see in this test is that I would have been MUCH more melancholy when growing up. I was depressed most of the time as a kid and teenager, mainly because of my wretched home life. Since I moved out 4 years ago, I've been developing most of the "choleric" qualities and that part of me is getting stronger and stronger. I like it.

Didn't ask anyone to take this for me. I suspect that if I did, I'd be scoring a lot lower on melancholy because that's the part I hide from most people.

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
ISTJ Pure Melancholy (My family and several friends)
ISFJ Phlegmatic*/Melancholy ("PhlegMel")
INFJ Melancholy/Phlegmatic* ("MelPhleg")
INTJ Melancholy/Choleric ("MelChlor")
ISTP Melancholy/Sanguine ("MelSan")
ISFP Phlegmatic*/Sanguine ("PhlegSan")
INFP Pure Phlegmatic*
INTP Phlegmatic*/Choleric ("PhlegChlor")
ESTP Choleric/Sanguine ("ChlorSan")
ESFP Pure Sanguine
ENFP Sanguine/Phlegmatic* ("SanPhleg")
ENTP Sanguine/Choleric ("SanChlor")
ESTJ Choleric/Melancholy ("ChlorMel")
ESFJ Sanguine/Melancholy ("SanMel")
ENFJ Choleric/Phlegmatic* ("ChlorPhleg")
ENTJ Pure Choleric

Ahahaha, now I'm REALLY confused!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interaction Style + Temperament.
Since you emphasized ESTJ=Choleric/Melancholy in the quote, EST= the "Choleric" Interaction Style called "In Charge" (expressive, directive). SJ (Guardian or Stabilizer temperament) is Melancholy. While I dispute Keirsey/Berens on NT and NF, here on the S side, I am in total agreement with them. So according to Berens, ESTJ is a Choleric/Melancholy (even though she never comes out and calls it that directly).

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
^^^Right... but my concern is that I generally test as an INFP, which is the farthest thing from an ESTJ.

Oh well, guess I'm versatile.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I didn't even notice your results for some reason. I saw the post I responded to, and the results were right before it.

Well, for one thing, you did say you were close to the borderline on all the MBTI functions. Also, INFP and ESTJ are actually the same thing in reverse, function wise (even though they SEEM furthest from each other on the surface). So maybe you're developing your Te now. Or maybe it was there, and you're more naturally an ESTJ but you were more reserved from being depressed from your earlier circumstances? (That actually seems more likely from the way you describe developing it so quickly after moving out).

G

garbage

I think I broke it.. there's no way I'm this balanced

Your personality is Sanguine Choleric
Melancholy Strength:6 Weakness:4
25%

Phlegmatic Strength:3 Weakness:6
23%

Sanguine Strength:8 Weakness:3
28%

Choleric Strength:3 Weakness:7
25%

Edit: I replied to the wrong thread. Whoops.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You did that with the image?
There would be a problem if you came out Sanguine-Melancholy or Supine-Choleric, as those are opposite each other. A "secondary temperament" in the five temperament system would most likely lie in a separate matrix, with one representing social skills, and the other representing leadership skills. Interaction Style and Keirseyan temperament.
You could have two separate dots on one map representing each.
I think I broke it.. there's no way I'm this balanced
Edit: I replied to the wrong thread. Whoops.

You were thinking of this (which also ran until last year):
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ts/717-temperament-test-poll-hippocrates.html

According to the temperament/Interaction Styles model of Keirsey/Berens, ENFP would fit SanChlor, though I believe it is SanPhleg, and ENTP is SanChlor (Most other ENFP's and ENTP's do come out as those respective combinations).

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Sanguine

Edit:
Lol, I didn't read the directions and did the test the wrong way.
I'll do it again, correctly this time. :D

Edit2:
Sanguine it is
Then comes
Choleric
Melancholy
Supine
Phlegmatic

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:doh:
I guess it would be interesting to see which individual "traits" of Choleric ENFP's (and other NF's for that matter) are choosing. The same with INTP's who come out Melancholy over Choleric. Since the scores are added by grading each trait from 1-5, it could be just a few traits scored high giving that temperament the edge. Yet some traits are shared by more than one. (Like Sanguine and Choleric are both "Outgoing" and "Optimistic" for instance).

BTW, there is a new site giving a lot of info on the original APS system (which this is based on): Temperaments.Info Welcome This is by a ministry offering the test, and this one even sells the manuals (Which I had thought were only available to NCCA counselors like my wife); wheras my pages were breakdowns of the concepts.

deleted
You did that with the image?
There would be a problem if you came out Sanguine-Melancholy

Sanguine would be the bigger dot, because its not Melancholic-Sanguine. I thought the more important one goes first?

maliafee

WOW! I am "Sanguine" -- that's EXACTLY right. Even when it comes to some embarrassing negatives. :huh:

Good test.

I've just found where someone who also uses the five temperament theory I always talk about, has made up their own free version of the test. This is not the APS test (which is based on FIRO, and bound by a licensing agreement with CPP, Inc), but a simple self-scorer made by listing various traits of the temperaments, which you score 1-5, and see which you come out strongest in. In the real test, you would get a combination of three temperaments (possibly the same) for the areas of Inclusion, Control and Affection, as you can see in my signature. This test does not have that, so you're not getting the full deal of the theory. It is just to give a rough idea, like the kind of informal four temperament tests you can find online or in Tim LaHaye's books, but with the fifth temperament added. Also what I basically did with the MBTI subscales, to get the bar graph in my signature).
So now you all can get an idea if you have any of this new temperament.

temperament test
(Looks like you have to print it out)

(and they also have more information, plus an interactive flash graphic of them at Temperament Overview: The Nifty Interactive Graphic Version!
http://www.mindtweaks.com/wordpress/?p=885

deleted
It always seems like the SJ is either choleric or melancholic, and NF is either choleric or melancholic.

SP Sanguine
NT Phlegmatic

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sanguine would be the bigger dot, because its not Melancholic-Sanguine. I thought the more important one goes first?

Well, in that test, it would be the strongest. In the full five temperament system, I am assuming the first one likely represents social skills (or Interaction Style, basically), while the next strongest is leadership skills (corresponding to the conative "Keirseyan" groupings).

So you're saying you would have two dots for opposite temperaments? That would make sense.

WOW! I am "Sanguine" -- that's EXACTLY right. Even when it comes to some embarrassing negatives. :huh:

Good test.

Yes, SP would be the Sanguine part of it. What was your next strongest temperament? Since you're ISF, I imagine it might be Phlegmatic or Supine, right?

It always seems like the SJ is either choleric or melancholic, and NF is either choleric or melancholic.

SP Sanguine
NT Phlegmatic

SJ fits Melancholic better, with the need for familiarity and stability. Choleric is more progressive than that. NF was dubbed Choleric only because of the "exciteability", but the NT's need for mastery and strategic skill set actually fits that better. The conative groups are leadership skills, while the "exciteable" aspect of Choleric is more the social skills of the In Charge groups (EST/ENJ). NT was called Phlegmatic because of its "impassive" coldness, but that's actually again, more Choleric in leadership or action. NF seems to be a combination of Supine and Phlegmatic (which get combined when reverting from a five temperament system to four temperaments). It has the "diplomatic" skills set of the Phlegmatic, while the Feeling energy comes from the Supine.

deleted
I still don't believe the NF-NT matching (I think its the other way around). And supine to me is not a good definition of temperament. It's much too vague.