• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Five Temperaments test!

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Melancholy: 67
Sanguine: 49
Supine: 46
Phlegmatic: 39
Choleric: 18

Currently I identify as INFJ but am willing to consider ISTP. I do have a strong drive for Seness (I love the potentials and possibilities suggested by hardware stores... oh my!), but lack the actual finesse when it comes to executing such tasks.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That seems reasonable.

Just to throw another wrench in the works, Phlegmatic was a fairly close second.
That could also be a couple of things. Like being Introverted, plus Motive-focused (the mirror of "Informing", tying together the SP and NF). So then ITP's may at times seem both Melancholy and Phlegmatic.

Something like that that does not seem to fit Interaction Style (Inclusion) or the Keirsey (conative) temperament (Control) could also be the third area, Affection. (In fact, with the full five temperament theory, you could have 125 different "types" (combinations). Even more if you add in moderate blends, mentioned below). Affecion deals with deep personal relationship skills. IT does not seem to be directly covered in the 16 types, though it would fit closest into the Interaction Styles characteristics. Though in this theory, Inclusion and Affection temperaments can be completely different, further explaining variation in type.

*look at the list*

Choleric/Phlegmatic, eh? I thought I was Choleric/Sanguine when I took the test in CatholicMatch, though I'm not Catholic.
Those Catholic versions of the theory generally do not allow blending of "opposite" temperaments (Choleric with Phlegmatic; and Sanguine with Melancholy). So they only have 12 possible "types" (four pure types, and eight "blends"). This seemed to follow Kant, though Kant would also pair those opposites with his "Recognition of Beauty" scale; which became the forerunner of S/N with Sanguine and Melancholic both as S.
So you had to come out as something that shared a common factor with Phlegmatic, and the closest was apparently Sanguine.

Melancholy: 67
Sanguine: 49
Supine: 46
Phlegmatic: 39
Choleric: 18

Currently I identify as INFJ but am willing to consider ISTP. I do have a strong drive for Seness (I love the potentials and possibilities suggested by hardware stores... oh my!), but lack the actual finesse when it comes to executing such tasks.
You could be inbetween. Both of those types are Melancholy in Inclusion. One is Supine (or Phlegmatic) in Control, and the other is Sanguine in Control. Supine and Sanguine are next to each other, differing only in expressed behavior (Sanguine=high; Supine=low), Inbetween them are a pair of hybrid temperaments with moderate expressive behavior, called Phlegmatic Supine and Phlegmatic Sanguine. (They're considered part "Phlegmatic" because of the moderate expression. Could also explain Phlegmatic being next highest). If someone scores one of those in Control, they might teeter between both SP and NF.

MuraKoji

MBTI Type
LOCK
Enneagram
8w7
Those Catholic versions of the theory generally do not allow blending of "opposite" temperaments (Choleric with Phlegmatic; and Sanguine with Melancholy). So they only have 12 possible "types" (four pure types, and eight "blends"). This seemed to follow Kant, though Kant would also pair those opposites with his "Recognition of Beauty" scale; which became the forerunner of S/N with Sanguine and Melancholic both as S.
So you had to come out as something that shared a common factor with Phlegmatic, and the closest was apparently Sanguine.

Oh geez I don't know that, all I know just it's a theory.

And yeah maybe you're true. But I'm not as bubbly as sanguine or "patient" like phlegmatic.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
chloreric-21
phlegmatic-54
melancholy-54
sanguine-32
supine-34

deleted
5 temperaments are a bit correlative to the 5 love languages.

I am Melcancholic with Choleric and Phlegmatic.

Definitely not Sanguine or Supine.

Gauche

chloreric-21
phlegmatic-54
melancholy-54
sanguine-32
supine-34

I noticed an astounding phenomenon that INFPs are never ever cholerics:huh:

Anyway, the test is messy so I don't do it, but I'm choleric

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Cool test! Just my own scores today, will try and get friends to do it for me:

Sanguine: 55
Melancholy: 53
Phlegmatic: 41
Choleric: 36
Supine: 27

These are the resultant correlations I would expect:

ISTP Melancholy/Sanguine ("MelSan")

This test is not the full one dividing between Inclusion and Control, so it might come out with the factors meshed together like that. They're still overall not too far, though.

Seems like I fit well into your correlations. I've taken other temperment tests before. The most recent one scored me as Melancholy/Sanguine which seemed to fit me very well, actually. Even though they seem rather opposite when I read the descriptions- it's like I like to project Sanguine when inside Melancholy is more natural to me.

Though I also somehwat identify with Phlegmatic, it seems to be more of what I admire and how I would like others to see me than my actual expression. (But I guess that's what the friend-scoring is for).

What do "in Inclusion" and "in Control" mean?

B

beyondaurora

Supine 40
Melancholy 38
Sanguine 30
Phlegmatic 27
Choleric 12

Eric B - if you're around, I'd be extremely interested as to what type you think this correlates with. :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
5 temperaments are a bit correlative to the 5 love languages.

I am Melcancholic with Choleric and Phlegmatic.

Definitely not Sanguine or Supine.
My wife and I read the Love Languages years before we even got into temperament theory, and by the time we learned of the five temperaments, I had forgotten about the love languages, to think if they correlated. She may have mentioned them once in connection with temperament, because her love language obviously ties into her Sanguine temperament. So I'll have to look at those again.

I noticed an astounding phenomenon that INFPs are never ever cholerics:huh:

Anyway, the test is messy so I don't do it, but I'm choleric

Yeah, I believe Keirsey really got things wrong when he suggested all NF's were Choleric. In fact, looking again at Kretschmer's character styles (which Keirsey directly drew from), the Schizothymes (basically, the abstract temperaments) were divided into "cold vs sensitive". The Anasthetic being "cold" and the Hyperesthetic being "sensitive". Keirsey interpreted "sensitive" as "exciteable", and then concluded it was Choleric (because the Choleric is traditionally the "angry, hot-headed" one), and the hyperesthetic ended up fitting NF. But the Choleric is anything but sensitive, really. Traditionally, the Phlegmatic is portrayed as having deep seated fears and sensitivity, (driving his sluggishness) though not showing them much. In five temperament theory, this is basically split, with the Supine being the really sensitive one, and the Phlegmatic is simply not having much energy for emotion. (Which is different from the reason the NT appears "calm". That's actually the more "Choleric" form of "coldness", and Kant had called both the Phlegmatic and Choleric "cold blooded").
Cool test! Just my own scores today, will try and get friends to do it for me:

Sanguine: 55
Melancholy: 53
Phlegmatic: 41
Choleric: 36
Supine: 27

Seems like I fit well into your correlations. I've taken other temperment tests before. The most recent one scored me as Melancholy/Sanguine which seemed to fit me very well, actually. Even though they seem rather opposite when I read the descriptions- it's like I like to project Sanguine when inside Melancholy is more natural to me.

Though I also somehwat identify with Phlegmatic, it seems to be more of what I admire and how I would like others to see me than my actual expression. (But I guess that's what the friend-scoring is for).
Yes, even in Keirsey/Berens' correlation, ISTP would amount to a Melancholic-Sanguine. The Interaction Style (IST) called "Chart the Course" is Melancholic (introverted, directive), and SP is Sanguine (pragmatic, motive-focused)
What do "in Inclusion" and "in Control" mean?
Those are two of the three FIRO matrices used in five temperament theory. Inclusion is surface social skills, and Control is leadership and responsibilities skills. The backbone of my FIRO-MBTI correlation is that Inclusion corresponds to Interaction Styles, and Control corresponds to the Keirseyan temperaments, which Berens called "conative" (dealing with action). There's also a third area called "Affection" which covers deep epersonal relationships. That does not seem to be directly represented in MBTI, though it in some respects might figure in the Interaction Style. If you seem to have a third temperament like the Phlegmatic you mentioned, it could be in Affection.
Full "short' explanation of all this at: ERICA vs EISeNFelT
Supine 40
Melancholy 38
Sanguine 30
Phlegmatic 27
Choleric 12

Eric B - if you're around, I'd be extremely interested as to what type you think this correlates with. :)

With top two as Supine and Melancholy, it actually could be either ISFJ or INFJ; and you're wearing "IxFx"! ISFJ=Supine(ISF)-Melancholy(SJ), and INFJ=Melancholy(INJ)-Supine(NF) (That informal test does not tell which is actually Inclusion and which is Control, but it's a good bet that it's one of the two orders of those two temperaments).

Both have Fe/Ti as supporting and relief (I call this a "harmonic" preference, see http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...lity-matrices/14018-process-tandem-names.html), so you need to sort out your perception preference. You can try out my Lucky Eight Archetype test (http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...tb-s-ultimate-lucky-eight-archetype-test.html) to quickly get an idea what roles Si or Ni fill, and that might help decide. (Though a lot of INFP's have come up with combinations like that too, and I imagine ISFP's could too).

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hrm. supine is just phlegmatic.

anyways.
sanguine 42
phlegmatic 41
supine 37
choleric 31
melancholic 23

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, Supine is very different from Phlegmatic, though on the surface they might look similar, both fitting in the "Behind the Scenes" and "Idealist" roles, and Supine basically takes the place Phlegmatic had before (introverted/informative; and Phlegmatic is now considered MODERATE in both scales)
The first wind of a fifth temperament apparently came when some Sanguines were observed to be "passive" meaning they didn't express themselves like an extrovert, though they still had the same level of want. So the Supine actually has some extroverted energies (aligning it with the Sanguine in some respects) that the Phlegmatic does not have, and I believe that is one reason it perhaps fits NF better, and Keirsey and everyone else not recognizing a fifth temperament couldn't bring themselves to make NF the Phlegmatic. (Though a couple of sites do. Still, the Phlegmatic, while "impassive" similar to an NT is nevertheless more of a peaceful "Diplomat" like an NF)
Also, when Jung observes "introverted Feeling" types "whose temperament is most likely melancholic" he was probably witnessing pure Supine INFP's. Supines also tend to look like Melancholies, because of the withdrawnness. It probably also explains why INFP's tend to come up with strong Melancholy here. (He also could have been seeing IxTJ women with greatly inflated Fi due to the traditional image of women as "feelers". Those types are genuinely Melancholy).

As for your scores, that fits, as the ESFP is the most Sanguine (and in this test, the others had to come out somewhere as well, but Sanguine is obviously dominant).

Gauche

reasonable things

well, to tell you the truth, I don't like the whole idea of connecting the Hippocrates temperaments with Keirsey's ones. I think it's not that simple, you know, we can have sanguine (ESFJ), phlegm (ISTJ), melancholic (ISFJ), maybe choleric (ESTJ), lets say, guardians. It goes with another three Keirsey's temperaments as well.
Although, there seems to be a pattern at all. There are probabilities which Hippocrates temperament would you most likely be with your MBTI type. But I find this strict connecting of one Hippocrates temperament to one Keirsey's temperament (e.g. SJ - melancholic, SP - sanguine, NT - choleric, NF - phlegmatic) to be off-course. How do you see it?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
From this test, I would say that I am most supine.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well, to tell you the truth, I don't like the whole idea of connecting the Hippocrates temperaments with Keirsey's ones. I think it's not that simple, you know, we can have sanguine (ESFJ), phlegm (ISTJ), melancholic (ISFJ), maybe choleric (ESTJ), lets say, guardians. It goes with another three Keirsey's temperaments as well.
Although, there seems to be a pattern at all. There are probabilities which Hippocrates temperament would you most likely be with your MBTI type. But I find this strict connecting of one Hippocrates temperament to one Keirsey's temperament (e.g. SJ - melancholic, SP - sanguine, NT - choleric, NF - phlegmatic) to be off-course. How do you see it?
What you're describing is due to the presence of a second temperament matrix overlaid over the Keirsey temperaments; and those are the Interaction Styles. Each type is a combination of both.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Choleric

Here are my scores:

Choleric - 38
Phlegmatic - 30
Sanguine - 23
Melancholy - 19
Supine - 7

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Those are not right though, after reading the descriptions of the temperaments, they don't only match SJ's or guardians.

B

beyondaurora

With top two as Supine and Melancholy, it actually could be either ISFJ or INFJ; and you're wearing "IxFx"! ISFJ=Supine(ISF)-Melancholy(SJ), and INFJ=Melancholy(INJ)-Supine(NF) (That informal test does not tell which is actually Inclusion and which is Control, but it's a good bet that it's one of the two orders of those two temperaments).

Both have Fe/Ti as supporting and relief (I call this a "harmonic" preference, see http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...lity-matrices/14018-process-tandem-names.html), so you need to sort out your perception preference. You can try out my Lucky Eight Archetype test (http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...tb-s-ultimate-lucky-eight-archetype-test.html) to quickly get an idea what roles Si or Ni fill, and that might help decide. (Though a lot of INFP's have come up with combinations like that too, and I imagine ISFP's could too).

Thanks, Eric B. I tried your archetypes test, but it was too difficult for me (I've tried finding how my processes fit within the archetypes with little success -- it seems like a few processes can fit a single archetype).

I had my mom answer the 5 temperaments test with me in mind, and here are the results:

Melancholy 68
Phlegmatic 64
Sanguine 63
Supine 55
Choleric 55

This is very interesting! I guess I'm not so Supine afterall! Rather, it would appear that I am either a MelPhleg (INFJ) or MelSang (ISTP). ISTP is what my professional MBTI test came up with and is one of the two best fit type profiles I identify with (the other is ISFP, although ask Jeffster -- he is SURE I am not ISFP).

Any thoughts?

TheJimbo

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
3w4
My scores alone, because I don't have any friends.

Sanguine 52
Choleric 51
Melancholy 45
Phlegmatic 42
Supine 24

Sanguine

Motivation: Fun

Needs: To Look Good (Socially), To Be Popular, To Be Praised, Approval

Wants: To Hide Insecurities (Loosely), To Be Noticed, Freedom, Playful Adventure

Positives: Entertaining, Outgoing, Responsive, Warm, Friendly

Negatives: Undependable, Undisciplined, Egotistical, Prone to Exaggeration, Compulsive Talker

Sounds right, except for compulsive talker.
I'm only a compulsive talker when I'm both comfortable with the person and think they're intelligent enough to be worth my breath.

I might have my bestie (ISTP) & girlfriend (ISFP) take this later.