• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Well Can You Read Emotions?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
23/36 you'd think i'd do better considering i've done this test 560 times

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Addendum: I found it slightly creepy that the pictures of women got most of the "sexy" emotions. Seems like it could have been a little more balanced.

Agreed.

Emotions are like ripples and waves in the water, they are constantly interacting and flicking around, very seldom in one steady state for very long or in isolation from each other as these tests imply. At least this test is a bit better than that other redonkulous one where the people are just acting facial expressions and not feeling them interiorly. I think historically I have disagreed with 3 or 4 of them on this test - the inner emanation does not match the external expression to the extent the captions imply.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
36/36

I score well on these tests, but I think it's because it's multiple choice.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
32/36

I got these ones wrong (by order of toughest to least):

I score well on these tests, but I think it's because it's multiple choice.

Lol, I honestly suspect my own score is due to that reason. From constant practice, my ability to read non-verbal cues is fairly standard. I know a great deal of individuals who are far superior readers of non-verbal emotional cues than I am.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This test was inspired by the work of Borat's cousin. I'm not joking. (Edit: Curses, [MENTION=24993]Doktorin Zylinder[/MENTION], for beating me to the punch on this factoid. )
21/36

I'm not surprised. I don't find this stuff "obvious" and I never have. If I ask someone a question about a social situation, and they scoff at me and tell me that it's "obvious" the only thing that this will do is piss me off. Saying that it's "obvious" doesn't help people who find this difficult, and I consider people who proudly respond in such a fashion, to be, at best, ignorant, and at worst, pricks. From where I sit, they're the arrogant insensitive ones. I don't think highly of that sort of person at all, unless they show signs that they care about being less ignorant in the future. If they're too proud to do that and become more informed, their opinion of me is none of my concern. I do myself a disservice by trying to pander to individuals who persist in their dogmatic assertion that their way of seeing the world is the only correct one.

I did better on a lot of the ones with female subjects, though. I tended to screw up more with the males; for some reason, I found them harder to read.

The article it linked to is worth a read, and suggests something that might actually work for someone like me:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/i-know-how-youre-feeling-i-read-chekhov/

If someone responds to me with practical advice, that I would be ok with. Merely telling me that I need to learn how to grasp the obvious does nothing for me. I also wonder why people who are so socially skilled are spending so much of their time on the internet.

People who proudly bully the sort of people that would score low on this test, and then suddenly expect everyone to care about whatever issues they are dealing with, are the worst sort of people, if you ask me. I feel no guilt about feeling contempt for them. They deserve it. If they suddenly come around or show signs of having changed their mind, I will leave it in the past, but until that happens, I have no respect for them. Whatever cool toys they might have acquired or whatever kind of lifestyle they are leading will make no difference.

What gets someone respect from me is the way they act. Nothing else matters. I don't demand that everyone act like me, think what I think or want what I want; I just expect them to act decently while allowing for the possibility that good people can make mistakes. I'll befriend people who either have an open-mind, or eventually acquire one. Otherwise, I'll be watching them.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Lol, I honestly suspect my own score is due to that reason. From constant practice, my ability to read non-verbal cues is fairly standard. I know a great deal of individuals who are far superior readers of non-verbal emotional cues than I am.

I think it is practise, even for people who are really good at reading non-verbal cues. It's ultimately a form of pattern-seeking. The look in the eyes gives out a vibe, and once you get the hang of discerning what that might be (especially with the multiple choice options) you can then imagine the rest of the face. Maybe that's what readers of non-verbal cues are doing: they use the look in the eyes to determine how the rest of the face looks.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I don't understand how most people here are doing so well. The average is 23-30. How are all of you scoring above that?

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't understand how most people here are doing so well. The average is 23-30. How are all of you scoring above that?

Well, the correct answer is provided and it's not timed, so if you give yourself a moment to sit with each set of eyes, one of the answers will make the most sense. Some of the questions are more difficult than others, but most of them can be narrowed down.

I'm not sure how much time you gave yourself, but I wonder how you'd score if you sat with each set of eyes for as long as you 'need' for the correct state to appear to you.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well, the correct answer is provided and it's not timed, so if you give yourself a moment to sit with each set of eyes, one of the answers will make the most sense. Some of the questions are more difficult than others, but most of them can be narrowed down.

I'm not sure how much time you gave yourself, but I wonder how you'd score if you sat with each set of eyes for as long as you 'need' for the correct state to appear to you.

Oh...I guess I did just answer it super quickly. I didn't take it as serious as an exam or anything. :p

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
33/36

There were a whole bunch where I was undecided between two options.

I basically used a process of elimination for most of the questions. Like, well it's not this one or this one or this one... so I guess it must be this.

Oh, and I laughed when I saw eyes that I do a lot of the time :p like YEP I know that one. (these were: playful, regretful, suspicious, concerned)

meme duchess

mein, memeself, and MeMe
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
29/36 (Admittedly thought I'd do just a bit better - oh well! Better than what's considered the lowest of the average, that's good enough for me.)

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
28/36

oh... that was fun though, thought i'd do better

Runaway

MBTI Type
INFP
26. I really struggled though, there weren't a lot to answers that seemed obvious to me, I mostly had to guess.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
12/36

The ones I got right were all male by the way; interesting shiz.