• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Verbal IQ

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
INTP Central - View Single Post - Verbal IQ test

That's my post in a similar thread on INTPc. Extensive vocabularies for their own sake are pointless. The point of language is to communicate. If you know words that only 0.01% of the population knows, that doesn't do you much good, does it? It's about as useful as making up your own language or learning Klingon.

I scored 127, btw. My reading comprehension has always been great.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
INTP Central - View Single Post - Verbal IQ test

That's my post in a similar thread on INTPc. Extensive vocabularies for their own sake are pointless. The point of language is to communicate. If you know words that only 0.01% of the population knows, that doesn't do you much good, does it? It's about as useful as making up your own language or learning Klingon.

I scored 127, btw. My reading comprehension has always been great.

The best writing is written on an eighth grade level that everyone can understand. You're right, the purpose of language is to communicate not to impress.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
The best writing is written on an eighth grade level that everyone can understand. You're right, the purpose of language is to communicate not to impress.

It depends on who you are trying to communicate with, and what you are trying to communicate. I don't think language should be used to impress, but that's not the only reason you would use words beyond those of "an eighth grade level".

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
Snapshot Report
Vocabulary
SubFacor IQ score = 129
Subscale percentile = 97

You appear to have a good vocabulary. You know the meanings of most of the given terms, some of which are extremely advanced. Your excellent vocabulary can help you communicate and understand the written word.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I usually score very high on those, so I got a 154, but I think they don't measure actually anything significant. In any case, given that I translate as a way to make a living, I suppose a sufficiently high score is a must.

I believe my score would be significantly lower if I were to take the test in my native language, due to its much higher level of complexity in comparison to English (complexity in language is bad, imho).

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vocabulary
SubFacor IQ score = 125
Subscale percentile = 96

You appear to have a good vocabulary. You know the meanings of most of the given terms, some of which are extremely advanced. Your excellent vocabulary can help you communicate and understand the written word.

Compared to a lot of the other responses I seem to be on the low side. Usually if I don't know a word I look it up, but unless I can put it to use, I tend to forget about it after a day or two so I had to answer "I don't know" to more than a few of the questions. To me, the purpose of enhancing vocabulary is to have more words available to convey subtle nuances and increase specificity. Knowing words just for the sake of knowing them is nice but by the time I can put a lot of them to use I'd have forgotten about them, and it also doesn't do much good to use a word if your target audience is baffled by it. if I think they can infer its meaning thats often good enough to me too. Sometimes I want to make people think so I visit the thesaurus to make my words more interesting and encourage others to learn, but not if understanding or clarity are my goals.

LucrativeSid

108. Just a little above average, (70%) but obviously way lower than average compared to the people in this forum.

Why is my vocabulary so bad? Thoughts: Relatively young still, barely made it through high school, skipped college, have no intellectual friends, like to keep things simple, rarely read fiction, too fast moving and loopy, ect...

Why is yours so good, do you think?

At least my reading comprehension is always very good - usually perfect.

I do look up words whenever I don't know them, and I usually remember everything I learn, so my results were surprising to me. A lot of those words I have never ever seen before. However, I am not suprised that I have never seen those words before, because I can't think of a single thing that I do in my life that would introduce me to new words like that.

Or maybe I screwed my score by refusing to answer "I don't know." Is that possible? I didn't pick that option once. To me, answering "I don't know" and picking the wrong answer are the exact same, so I took my chances and tried to get them right.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Vocabulary
SubFacor IQ score = 135
Subscale percentile = 99

You appear to have a very extensive vocabulary. You know the meanings of most of the given terms, some of which are extremely advanced. Your excellent vocabulary can help you communicate and understand the written word.

:)

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
that red layout is blinding.. o__0

I received considerably lower marks than I expected.
I suspect it's the layouts fault.. blinding x__X

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got 119 at mine, but english isn't my native language (i'm swedish), so I think it's kind of OK for an outsider. :)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Snapshot Report
Vocabulary
SubFacor IQ score = 148
Subscale percentile = 99.93

for some reason, i found the "meow: cat" answer adorable and chose that both times it came up. lol.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
142 Verbal IQ
99.79th Percentile
750 on SAT Verbal

Hell yea!

Analogies-146
Reading Comprehension-155
Vocabulary: 125
Definitions (122), Antonyms (136)
Sentence Completions: 118

Funny when I took the SATs a while back, I think all the questions I got wrong were Sentence Completions actually..

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
HTML Redirection

155, with a 99.99 percentile. I guess I nailed them all?

I also noticed some poor English in the reading comprehensive section.

58. How well did the researchers find that groups of two performed?

They performed better than larger groups.
They performed as well as larger groups.
They performed as well as the most talented member of the pair would have done alone.
They performed more poorly than one person would have working alone.
I don’t know

When talking about two individuals, it should be the more talented member, not the most talented member. The use of most in comparisons should be reserved for groups of three or more.

And I am a dork.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Snapshot Report
Vocabulary
SubFacor IQ score = 145
Subscale percentile = 99.87

...and then they try to lure your wallet out with gratuitous praise....It's like a hooker telling you how sexy you are...

zhandao

MBTI Type
xxxx
I got 115. But I got 800 on my SAT verbal. Funny what two years (and a lack of effort) does.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

For fun vocab play, I like FreeRice. I get level 48 there.

cheers,
Ian