• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensitivity to criticism test

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't taken the test yet, but I had a thought already. Supposing the test isn't just complete bullshit (a big supposition, I know), I would think that people who are more capable of taking criticism and more self-critical will get a worse score on this test, or at least an equal score, because it's self reported. All of the people I've known who are really bad at taking criticism and never seem to criticize themselves also have little no awareness how bad they are.

EDIT: Now taking the test. I saw this question. "When someone has spoken negatively of my work, I become less motivated and don't work as hard." I answered false, but honestly my answer stems from sensitivity to criticism, I think. I have an unfortunate compulsion to redeem myself, and so when someone is negative about my work, I sort of think "I'll show that fucker" and become more determined. So I don't think this question can really have a proper result.

EDIT 2: "I think that most people criticize others in order to hurt them, rather than to help." Definitely. That does not diminish the point of criticism itself, though. It just means a lot of people are stupid douche bags.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Strengths
· You are not very defensive
· You tend to view criticism and those who criticize you in a tolerant and constructive manner
· You experience few, if any negative, defensive emotions towards people who criticize you
· You respond to criticism in an openly-accepting and professional manner
· You rarely, if ever, respond with passive-aggressive behaviors after being criticized

Potential Strengths
· You occasionally chastise yourself when you receive negative feedback
· Criticism can sometimes stir up negative, self-defeating emotions in you

Limitations
· No limitations detected

Okay. I think I'm with Ivy. How the hell do I have no limitations?

I find the phrase "potential strengths" appallingly euphemistic. Clearly, the test was intended for people who don't take criticism well. :D
Also, "occasionally" and "can sometimes"? It's going easy on me.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I haven't taken the test yet, but I had a thought already. Supposing the test isn't just complete bullshit (a big supposition, I know), I would think that people who are more capable of taking criticism and more self-critical will get a worse score on this test, or at least an equal score, because it's self reported. All of the people I've known who are really bad at taking criticism and never seem to criticize themselves also have little no awareness how bad they are.

I'm totally aware of it. But I'm not usually bad at it in the "hey, that person criticized me, how dare they!" way (although sometimes, yeah), I'm typically bad at it in the "oh my god, that person criticized me, I am so ashamed, I must now commit social seppuku" way.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Strengths

· You tend to view criticism and those who criticize you in a tolerant and constructive manner
· You do not chastise yourself when you receive negative feedback
· You experience few, if any negative, defensive emotions towards people who criticize you
· You generally do not feel bad about yourself when criticized, or experience self-defeating, demoralizing emotions
· You rarely, if ever, respond with passive-aggressive behaviors after being criticized

Potential Strengths

· No potential strengths detected

Limitations

I often times don't even realize I'm pissed off until 30 minutes after the fact. I get absolutely furious when someone talks for 30 minutes to indirectly make 1 criticism. I'm also wierd in that I absorb a lot of criticism from everyone, and I'll sit down and digest it for a bit. The stuff that works, I'll keep and I'll feel thankful toward the person. The stuff that isn't helpful, I'll often feel resentful toward the person. This was one reason I get confused on my possible 9 wing.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I didn't get a numerical score either.

I'm not sure what utility the test is, because a lot of the questions are value-deaf. In other words, the quality of the criticism or respect for the source of the criticism play no part. My reaction to criticism would vary wildly depending on those factors. For instance, if I made a movie, the criticism of Roger Ebert would cause me to react very differently than that of the critic from Basement Dweller Weekly.

Of course, the test makers would probably say that makes me insufficiently open to criticism :p

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm totally aware of it. But I'm not usually bad at it in the "hey, that person criticized me, how dare they!" way (although sometimes, yeah), I'm typically bad at it in the "oh my god, that person criticized me, I am so ashamed, I must now commit social seppuku" way.

You're right. There are at least two categories (which the test seems to somewhat account for) in that there is a sort of ego induced defensiveness, and a super ego induced shame. Only the former of the two should make someone blind to their own over-sensitivity.

I didn't get a numerical score either.

I'm not sure what utility the test is, because a lot of the questions are value-deaf. In other words, the quality of the criticism or respect for the source of the criticism play no part. My reaction to criticism would vary wildly depending on those factors. For instance, if I made a movie, the criticism of Roger Ebert would cause me to react very differently than that of the critic from Basement Dweller Weekly.

Of course, the test makers would probably say that makes me insufficiently open to criticism :p

More important to me is that the test is only ever vaguely clear about what the criticism is. In any one of the situations described, the criticism could be reasonable, practical, and constructive, or just totally stupid.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I work to be positive, but I was surprised the test really didn't mention how I can feel sometimes... I can feel the bite of things, I just try not to act on it. I think the output here was a little too positive.

My flaw isn't that I get mad at others, I usually just take mistakes and failure out on myself and am more dismissive of my efforts than I should be. Too much criticism, and I just end up not trying anymore or withdrawing. At least at this point, I can process and pretty quickly turn my attitude around, if I think I'm overreacting against myself.

Strengths

· You generally do not feel bad about yourself when criticized, or experience self-defeating, demoralizing emotions

Potential Strengths

Limitations

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't want to pay to get detailed results, but it said I take criticism well and don't have any limitations.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do think I am a fair amount more sensitive to criticism than the results portray. For me it largely depends on who is doing the critisizing and in what context. If i believe i have something to learn I am often very open to criticism. If I believe there is some social sneering etc then I will most likely feel and behave quite differently.

Strengths

Potential Strengths

Limitations

Jaguar

I don't give this thing much weight. I got 2 questions in and said, "is the criticism accurate or not?" Do I handle criticism well from some moron who thinks his opinion matters? No, no I do not. Do I handle criticism well from someone who knows exactly what they are talking about and how to help me improve? Yes. Unfortunately, 99.9 (repeating, of course) percent of criticism comes from the former.

My thoughts, exactly.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Overt Behavioral Reactions

Individuals who score similarly to you generally:
Approach issues or disagreements in an appropriate and non-confrontational manner.
Put a conscious effort into listening and learning from feedback.
Suggest their own ideas for self-improvement.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Snapshot Report

Approach issues or disagreements in an appropriate and non-confrontational manner.

No Im really pretty sensitive. Ill listen and try to learn from criticism- at least consider it... but still way more sensitive than a 26. It can effect me a lot- depending.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
21... i thought with my replies it might criticize me unfairly... i guess that's my job, heh...

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
18 for overt behavioral reactions. It doesn't give the strengths and limitations anymore. I am more sensitive to it than the description would assume, and may have got a score this low because my main defense against criticism is to overwork in an attempt to redeem myself, which is not so appropriate.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Snapshot Report

...really depends on the context :ninja:

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Snapshot Report

Neat ^_^