• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Empathy Quotient

G

garbage

Simon Baren-Cohen's research kicks all sorts of ass. "Zero Degrees of Empathy" is a great read.

His Empathy Quotient is meant to be a scale on how "dual-minded" or empathetic one is. It's morphed into part of a larger Emphathizing-systemizing framework. More rough information on E-S can be found here.
Key_graphic.gif

Here's a test based on his Empathy Quotient. The test itself seems less impressive than his research overall, but.. I dunno, it's a test, and we like our tests.

I scored 67.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
44. Somewhere between a woman and a man. :)

I

Infinite Bubble

28... wow, that's terrible. I thought I was good at reading people too.

KDude

I scored 20. Something's wrong. I don't have Aspergers.

I'll artificially raise it to 33.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I don't like this test. It doesn't matter what I scored in empathy, it only matters that it's really obvious to see how to score high. And to do so requires a predictive, pretentious, presumptuous mind-set that I really try to resist.

Let's look at a couple of questions here:

58. I am good at predicting what someone will do.

Now, if you say you strongly agree with that, it raises your empathy score. In my mind, it's ballsy to say you strongly agree. It diminishes the individual to a behavioural equation, and I don't like that kind of thinking.

1. I can easily tell if someone else wants to enter a conversation.

Again, same answer. If I answer strongly agree, I am presuming to know what people want, not actually know what they want. If you start talking to someone, of course they will likely speak back. This does not mean they wish to converse.

29. I can't always see why someone should have felt offended by a remark.

Answering this as slightly disagree vs strongly disagree again commits the error of presumption. But it raises your empathy score! I've met a lot of people who think they KNOW this stuff, but in reality, they simply project their own answers over top of another person and run with that.

Who goes to the trouble of actually asking? That would indicate a higher empathy, to me.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah. I think if you answer "definitely agree" to many of those questions, it automatically qualifies you as empathic or sympathetic.

They make a mistake when they then try to turn it into a quantitative test methinks.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Holy crap...I got 15! :shock:

It can't be true! :cry:

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
The test is not "how empathetic are you?" but "how empathetic do you think you are?"

Still though I am not criticizing the overall topic as surely it will be worthy of much debate.:)

I got scored basically a social retard (26 lol) which is not the case. I just don't call myself a mind-reader. People who think they are, may not be.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I got a 36. Not quite sure how to feel about that. :huh:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got 31. Huh. I thought it would be a lot higher.
Omg I got 34

[MENTION=5578]bologna[/MENTION]
What did you answer to get such a high score??? :D

Is there a correlation to MBTI?

I got 32 S, so type B. Big surprise.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got 31. Huh. I thought it would be a lot higher.

I got 32 S, so type B. Big surprise.
Did anyone else do the S test? I got 44 on S and 9 on E.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
13 on the empathy quotient.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I scored 25 on the empathy quotient. Looks like we all have Asperger's!

Dis test b jank, yo.

--------------

[MENTION=16320]Infperson[/MENTION] - That test is even worse than the first!

Just to give you guys a few sample questions...
7. If there was a problem with the electrical wiring in my home, I'd be able to fix it myself.
14. I make a point of listening to the news each morning.
37. When I look at a building, I am curious about the precise way it was constructed.
60. I do not care to know the names of the plants I see.
What the hell??

I scored a 24.

------------

I'm between type B and type S. BS! Female brain and male brain my ass.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah the test is shitty, but at least Fs seem to score higher than Ts

There's this Buddhism test on OkCupid that I think is a rather good empathy test. The lowest scorers appeared to be INTx and the highest ranking person was an INFJ.

I scored somewhere in the middle, and was more "mindful" than kind.

Of course, the kindness required not being strict with children and giving concert tickets to a person who mocks you, so they were extremely difficult "turn the other cheek" kind of questions.

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got... 13.

I maintain that I can generally understand people. I just don't care. :mellow:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's this Buddhism test on OkCupid that I think is a rather good empathy test. The lowest scorers appeared to be INTx and the highest ranking person was an INFJ.
I'm not surprised. I fouind the hardest thing about the empathizing/systemizing tests was that many of the questions ask, "do you often . . . ". I'm not in some of the situations the questions describe very often, so my response reflects a fraction of a very small number, which may have significant statistical error. Still, I can't argue with the overall result: E<<S.

G

garbage

Systemizing, as a concept, can be described as structuring, routinizing, anchoring on facts and the "known," striving for precision and clarity, developing habits and rules, and so on.
Just to give you guys a few sample questions...
Granted, about 20 of the questions on both tests are "filler" questions that aren't actually scored--common psychometric practice. But the remaining questions still aren't exactly the best around. Part of me is surprised that these particular tests have stood up to any sort of scientific rigor, but they're correlated with other validated instruments.

A good question would have been "I found this test pretty boring and I futzed around in getting the questions answered because it felt like a chore." Less methodical people would answer that affirmatively.

Anyhow, I got 35 on the systemizing test. Hooray for being average

Last edited: