• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Empathy Quotient

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
31 on empathy, 34 on systemizing.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Empathy

Your score: 50--

Systemizing Quotient:
Your score: 42-- (most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism score in this range). I don't have Aspergers or autism. I'm just investigative.

Autism Spectrum Quotient:
Your score: 13--average--nope not autistic...just curious. I knew that:)

G

garbage

Within

Permabanned
Your score: 25

I definitely thought that I would get a higher score.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a sociopath.

My score: a pathetic 9.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

My interpersonal intelligence is horrible... intrapersonal is pretty solid though.

wonders

MBTI Type
Ti
Enneagram
Id
The test is not "how empathetic are you?" but "how empathetic do you think you are?"

Still though I am not criticizing the overall topic as surely it will be worthy of much debate.:)

I got scored basically a social retard (26 lol) which is not the case. I just don't call myself a mind-reader. People who think they are, may not be.

I totally agree with you... mind reading isn't as easy to do correctly as some people think. I'm very skeptical about it being truly possible. So, I totally don't consider myself a mind reader, e.g. if someone has a problem, I prefer to have it all out in the open to help solve it. Or if I'm not sure about how someone feels about something or someone (including myself/something I've done) I simply ask about that. Etc. I also hate it when someone gets at me with their guesses of how I'm feeling about something or guesses about my attitude towards them.

Btw I got 19 in this EQ test... I don't know if that's a good measure of my empathy, I don't think I'm asperger, I just prefer direct communication over all those guesses and just haven't yet tried to learn the nice way of saying things instead of saying them directly. I don't think I'm very high on empathizing either, though, so the score may not be that much off though I still find it a bit low. :shock:

I also tried the SQ test, got 43 there. I don't see myself as an extreme systemizer so this is about right.

I'm female so the average would be 47/24 as opposed to my 19/43. :shock:

1. I can easily tell if someone else wants to enter a conversation.

Again, same answer. If I answer strongly agree, I am presuming to know what people want, not actually know what they want. If you start talking to someone, of course they will likely speak back. This does not mean they wish to converse.

Yeah I never assume anything just from the fact that they spoke. Over time if they are too silent, I do ask if they are bored to be sure they're OK with talking (maybe they just prefer listening but I can't know unless I ask... assuming they don't lie but that's their problem).

29. I can't always see why someone should have felt offended by a remark.

Answering this as slightly disagree vs strongly disagree again commits the error of presumption. But it raises your empathy score! I've met a lot of people who think they KNOW this stuff, but in reality, they simply project their own answers over top of another person and run with that.

Who goes to the trouble of actually asking? That would indicate a higher empathy, to me.

Problem for me, I don't ask if they are offended because I just don't think of that possibility. But if someone does tell me they feel offended I do like to ask more about it so I can understand them. Higher empathy though would be truly understanding their response I guess... I'm not sure I can always claim that.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I totally agree with you... mind reading isn't as easy to do correctly as some people think. I'm very skeptical about it being truly possible. So, I totally don't consider myself a mind reader, e.g. if someone has a problem, I prefer to have it all out in the open to help solve it. Or if I'm not sure about how someone feels about something or someone (including myself/something I've done) I simply ask about that. Etc. I also hate it when someone gets at me with their guesses of how I'm feeling about something or guesses about my attitude towards them.
This is a huge pet peeve for me, especially people trying to guess my attitudes, feelings, or motivations. More often than not they are wrong. Why can't they just ask if it is that important? Systemizers of the world, unite!

G

garbage

As an apparent E over S, I'll say that people who jump to conclusions, in general, grate me too. One of the things that some people jump to conclusions about it another's state of mind.

One little curl of a lip, say, is not enough information for anyone to form a conclusion that's solid enough to be voiced out. If you get some information.. for God's sake, probe a bit further before you conclude that you know someone's entire life story.

Because if you're, y'know, wrong about someone, you haven't exactly stepped into their shoes. You haven't figured out their state of mind and thus you're not as empathic as you think you are.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
42, dead average for a male and squarely a B(alanced) type. I would agree with this score.

WTF on a few of these questions, though. "I am at my best in the morning"? Maybe that's taken to mean that you're more in tune with a surrounding society that favors a morning person pattern, but that's a stretch.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Err..well I got 65 :)

Edit:

:laugh:

However, if I actively try to game the system to maximize the score, I can get right up to 78 :devil:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Simon Baren-Cohen's research kicks all sorts of ass. "Zero Degrees of Empathy" is a great read.

His Empathy Quotient is meant to be a scale on how "dual-minded" or empathetic one is. It's morphed into part of a larger Emphathizing-systemizing framework. More rough information on E-S can be found here.
Key_graphic.gif

Here's a test based on his Empathy Quotient. The test itself seems less impressive than his research overall, but.. I dunno, it's a test, and we like our tests.

I scored 67.

Question # 18. When I was a child, I enjoyed cutting up worms to see what would happen.
:laugh:

Your score: 76
0 - 32 = low (most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism score about 20)
33 - 52 = average (most women score about 47 and most men score about 42)
53 - 63 is above average
64 - 80 is very high
80 is maximum

*also agree with [MENTION=17988]eclecticreject[/MENTION]. This test merely illustrates how I see my own empathetic capacity, not what it may objectively be. Gotta account for blind spots.