• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spinning Dancer Test

Which way did you see her spinning first?

• Clockwise, and I'm right brain dominant (perceiving)

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • Clockwise, and I'm left brain dominant (judging)

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Counter-clockwise, and I'm right brain dominant (perceiving)

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Counter-clockwise, and I'm left brain dominant (judging)

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What you described above is exactly how I experienced this test. I'm NeFi yet saw the girl spinning counter-clockwise. Yet this is supposed to be unusual? I guess I am just confused because I consider myself a *strong P*. What am I not understanding here?

I'm trying to find the percentages of right vs. left brained people- I thought for some reason there were a higher amount of left-brained people,but I could be wrong, and the P/J divide is about half and half, so it may not be a fool-proof theory. Handedness has something to do with it, too.

Starry

I'm trying to find the percentages of right vs. left brained people- I thought for some reason there were a higher amount of left-brained people, but I could be wrong, and the P/J divide is about half and half, so it may not be a fool-proof theory.

Cool. Yah...I've always seen this as more of a T vs F...as opposed to J vs P.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cool. Yah...I've always seen this as more of a T vs F...as opposed to J vs P.

It sounds like it could be, but I don't think that's accurate either- T vs. F lands about 50/50 too. I'm sure there is a loose correlation- It's rather hard to picture an xxTJ person who would consider themselves strongly right-brained. (It's apparently hard for ME to picture something as simple as the dancer going the other way- so I guess my view is going to be pretty darn subjective! :laugh:!)

rav3n

It's a pretty even split between going either direction. To make her switch direction at will, avert your eyes and think about the opposite direction, ensuring she remains in your peripheral.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What you described above is exactly how I experienced this test. I'm NeFi yet saw the girl spinning counter-clockwise. Yet this is supposed to be unusual? I guess I am just confused because I consider myself a *strong P*. What am I not understanding here?

Same for me but the other way around :D (clockwise, but I'm a J...though in tests I'm not always "strong J".)

EDIT: when I saw the thread title I thought of a couple of poems by W B Yeats about dancers, which probably tells you more about me than the test results would.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Only clockwise. Impossible for me to switch directions. But I'm actually pretty good at math, and quite punctual...

Starry

Same for me but the other way around :D (clockwise, but I'm a J...though in tests I'm not always "strong J".)

I guess what I'm wondering...and maybe [MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] can explain...is are we more 'unusual' <--- that doesn't sound right LOL. I mean as an INFJ would it be more likely that you see the gal dancing counter-clockwise...? And for me I 'should' have seen the gal dancing clockwise? Wow...I'm really having trouble expressing myself this morning!!! Hopefully someone will understand what I am attempting to convey.

***Yeats. Awesome.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess what I'm wondering...and maybe [MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] can explain...is are we more 'unusual' <--- that doesn't sound right LOL. I mean as an INFJ would it be more likely that you see the gal dancing counter-clockwise...? And for me I 'should' have seen the gal dancing clockwise? Wow...I'm really having trouble expressing myself this morning!!! Hopefully someone will understand what I am attempting to convey.

***Yeats. Awesome.

Well, I don't know, I'm not an expert, I just saw the dancer for the first time today. But there is an article above from Freakonomics with a study, (not a very good one, but a study none-the-less) seems like a lot more people see the the dancer going clockwise.

Starry

Well, I don't know, I'm not an expert, I just saw the dancer for the first time today. But there is an article above from Freakonomics with a study, (not a very good one, but a study none-the-less) seems like a lot more people see the the dancer going clockwise.

Whoops...somehow I missed the article. I'll check it out now. Thanks for this.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9

I consider myself a strong P, too.

I guess there may be a correlation with brain hemispheres, but not a strong one?

The weird thing is that ever since I read that article, now she keeps defaulting to clockwise instead of my usual counter-clockwise. I switch her back to counter-clockwise, then look away, and when I look again, she's clockwise again! Gah! So the power of suggestion may be at work here, also.

Silveresque

I can't see her going counter clockwise at all, she is definitely going clockwise and I tried for a few minutes to try to see her differently, but I can't. :cry:
Have always been strongly right brain dominant, though I'm really unsure if functions always relate to that for people. :unsure:

Edit: Okay, what in God's name are you guys seeing that is making her spin counter-clockwise??? This is maddening! I can not see it!

Have you tried scrolling down to where it has two of the pictures side by side and the legs are labelled L and R? When I look at that it switches automatically for me.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
OK, here's how to switch directions, for those of you having trouble.

Counter-clockwise:
Focus on the bottom of her legs, cover her upper body if it helps. When the leg sticking out is on the left side of the page, envision it as coming from behind to around the front. That will make her appear to rotate counter-clockwise.

Clockwise:
Focus on the bottom of her legs, cover her upper body if it helps. When the leg sticking out is on the right side of the page, envision it as coming from behind to around the front. That will make her appear to rotate clockwise.

Edit: Or, as suggested above, look at the L/R diagrams.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you tried scrolling down to where it has two of the pictures side by side and the legs are labelled L and R? When I look at that it switches automatically for me.

yep. Not working.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK, here's how to switch directions, for those of you having trouble.

Counter-clockwise:
Focus on the bottom of her legs, cover her upper body if it helps. When the leg sticking out is on the left side of the page, envision it as coming from behind to around the front. That will make her appear to rotate counter-clockwise.

Clockwise:
Focus on the bottom of her legs, cover her upper body if it helps. When the leg sticking out is on the right side of the page, envision it as coming from behind to around the front. That will make her appear to rotate clockwise.

Edit: Or, as suggested above, look at the L/R diagrams.

That didn't work in the slightest. Full body covered, I kept switching legs, and trying to envision that, but my brain blocked the action.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I did!!! I even tried to relax and look off in another direction and think about something else while the dancer moved in my peripheral vision. Now I just feel frustrated and mentally handicapped!!! Thank you for reminding me that they may as well just remove the left side of my brain. :( It's no more useful than an appendix at this point.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] just zone out and don't focus. Practice looking at different parts and if that doesn't work, just look at it over all. But don't *try*