• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Social class quiz

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
You Scored as Luxurious Upper Class
As a member of the upper class, you will always have the satisfaction that there are many underneath you to slave for your every need and want. Live the high life.

Luxurious Upper Class
83%
Upper middle Class
71%
Middle Class
63%
alternative
50%
Lower Class
50%

Accurate test.

LOL

Edgar would say that identifying class with your job speaks of middle class behavior already, maybe.

When it comes to describing class, Edgar likes to quote Fussell, and Fussell claims that middle class mostly identify status by which university one went to. Also middle class are generally fraught with class insecurity, like YWIR

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
LOL

When it comes to describing class, Edgar likes to quote Fussell, and Fussell claims that middle class mostly identify status by which university one went to. Also middle class are generally fraught with class insecurity, like YWIR

Really? I would think that would be upper middle class. What about those high income business guys with little or no higher education? I used to have an old friend who bragged that he didn't go to school, just got a bunch of certificates to become an engineer. Makes around 95k a year. What does that make him? (I'm not arguing, but am curious of what you thought.)

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
alternative
50%
Upper middle Class
50%
Lower Class
46%
Middle Class
38%
Luxurious Upper Class
13%

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Really? I would think that would be upper middle class. What about those high income business guys with little or no higher education? I used to have an old friend who bragged that he didn't go to school, just got a bunch of certificates to become an engineer. Makes around 95k a year. What does that make him? (I'm not arguing, but am curious of what you thought.)

Bragging = working class.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bragging = working class.

Talking about what university you went to or what you do for a living sounds like bragging, too!

I always felt that he had a right to brag. It wasn't really overt bragging so much as mentioning it once in a while.
He came from upper middle class family environment. (In my eyes, though I'm really questioning my knowledge on the subject, since I haven't had much formal education on the topic, and so everybody's class seems to relate back to a comparison to my own class, defined by me.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Talking about what university you went to or what you do for a living sounds like bragging, too!

Well, probably it sounds like bragging to you, but I believe that might be some form of insecurity (or maybe different traditions, dunno). Sometimes they're just random topics of conversation, it depends on the context. Anyway, anyone bragging about their ability to become *something* without study or w/e here would be considered working class, but I don't know if it can be extended to the US.

I always felt that he had a right to brag. It wasn't really overt bragging so much as mentioning it once in a while.
He came from upper middle class family environment. (In my eyes, though I'm really questioning my knowledge on the subject, since I haven't had much formal education on the topic, and so everybody's class seems to relate back to a comparison to my own class, defined by me.)

Well, maybe he wasn't even bragging then. Anyway, having the right to brag but not doing it is one of the first steps towards possibily ascending the social ladder. Not that I think I can do it, but false (or real) modesty are generally classy.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, most of the questions are in regards to finances, which is not something I am in control of right now, hence my earlier post.

Your job is your source of wealth and power, the foundation that supports the type of house you buy, the area you live in, the educational level available to you and your children, the people that associate with you, the resources you can access, etc etc.

If I did the test based on my situation right now, I'd probably fall into the upper/middle class category.

This test didn't ask about any of that at all, which is what made it strange. Most of the questions ask about your views on things. (Which is why "alternative" is a result for some people. Though the people who ended up with that answer may have a well defined lifestyle monetarily, they don't mentally choose to participate in societies class statuses, and therefore don't belong to a class.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't even think that looking at your job that way makes much sense, but perhaps there are other factors I need to consider. I know some working class guys that through their intellectual "sophistication" generally tend to gravitate towards upper-middle and/or even ex-nobilty friends (I'm not speaking about myself, I don't know anything about literature) yet they still work filling shelves at the grocery store. Although, perhaps their intellectual sophistication is a byproduct of their parents' social class.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, probably it sounds like bragging to you, but I believe that might be some form of insecurity (or maybe different traditions, dunno). Sometimes they're just random topics of conversation, it depends on the context. Anyway, anyone bragging about their ability to become *something* without study or w/e here would be considered working class, but I don't know if it can be extended to the US.

Well, maybe he wasn't even bragging then. Anyway, having the right to brag but not doing it is one of the first steps towards possibily ascending the social ladder. Not that I think I can do it, but false (or real) modesty are generally classy.

:yes: It does sound like bragging to me when someone talks about what school they went to. (Especially an Ivy League school.) I think this is because of my upbringing. You may be right about the friend. I guess bragging isn't the word... or too strong of a word, perhaps. I think truly becoming something here without education is actually a really big deal. (and smart, too. Education costs an arm and a leg here. It's better to try to find a way around it. To skip out on tens of thousands of dollars in debt but still make more than anyone else is something only very skilled people can do.) Then again, it could be still considered working class, I'm not sure.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't even think that looking at your job that way makes much sense, but perhaps there are other factors I need to consider. I know some working class guys that through their intellectual "sophistication" generally tend to gravitate towards upper-middle and/or even ex-nobilty friends (I'm not speaking about myself, I don't know anything about literature) yet they still work filling shelves at the grocery store. Although, perhaps their intellectual sophistication is a byproduct of their parents' social class.

I think intellectual sophistication has more to do with level of intelligence and interest in intellectual subjects.

I'm not sure if this is different in Europe, but I don't see why it would be.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think intellectual sophistication has more to do with level of intelligence and interest in intellectual subjects.

You know what? I tend to disagree with this. I don't think intellectual sophistication has anything to do with intelligence. I think they can be complimentary qualities, but not interchangable at all. I actually almost started a thread about this the other day, (since I'm guessing a lot of people probably disagree with me and I thought it could be an interesting thing to talk about), but I needed a break from the topic and didn't want to deal with the potential consequences of starting a thread like that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know what? I tend to disagree with this. I don't think intellectual sophistication has anything to do with intelligence. I think they can be complimentary qualities, but not interchangable at all. I actually almost started a thread about this the other day, (since I'm guessing a lot of people probably disagree with me and I thought it could be an interesting thing to talk about), but I needed a break from the topic and didn't want to deal with the potential consequences of starting a thread like that.

No, no no...I said intelligence AND interest in intellectual topics.

A person can be very intelligent and not be "an intellectual."

Another person, on the other hand, can go to a good school, and have exposure to great education, and still somehow seem pretty stupid.

So...I'm saying it's a combination of the two things.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Yeah, I would generally agree with that. So basically I believe there's people (not many, but some) that can easily associate themselves with others from "above" while keeping their typically working class jobs.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
You Scored as alternative

You're partially respected for being an individual in a conformist world yet others take you as a radical. You have no place in society because you choose not to belong there - you're the luckiest of them all, even if your parents are completely ashamed of you. Just don't take drugs ok?

alternative
54%
Upper middle Class
52%
Middle Class
48%
Luxurious Upper Class
33%
Lower Class
13%

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oh, I was thinking of the bolded. Someone intelligent doesn't have to be intellectual, that's for sure. I also think that someone intellectual doesn't have to be intelligent. Like, the two have nothing to do with each other. (Not sure if you agree or disagree. I'm guessing a lot of people would still disagree.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, I was thinking of the bolded. Someone intelligent doesn't have to be intellectual, that's for sure. I also think that someone intellectual doesn't have to be intelligent. (Not sure if you agree or disagree. I'm guessing a lot of people would still disagree.)

A person who is intellectual isn't necessarily of fantastic intelligence, hence the existence of not-so-bright NTs.

{deletes comment that might be perceived as troll bait to an INTP}

I began wondering at the age of 18 why some people who had already gone to college didn't really seem all that smart.

On the other hand, the things that FDG says are true...a lot of upper or middle class people have had education handed to them, and a few bright working class individuals might be more on their level due to persistence in educating one's self.