• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How self-monitoring are you?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh man....no wonder I fail socially. I don't think it's quite as extreme as this implies; how I appear will vary in different contexts, but I admit it's more about my personal comfort than adapting easily to others. I show a different side based on how I feel, not on what's expected.

14/100

Your score is 14, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a LOW self-monitor.

Self-monitoring refers to how a person behaves in different contexts (ie, work, visiting friends, or shopping). A high self-monitoring person is someone who monitors and adapts their own behavior to match their surroundings. A low self monitor tends to use their internal values and beliefs to figure out how to behave.

In other words, a low self monitor will exhibit the same behavior in different contexts, whether it's a meeting at work, softball game with friends, or family reunion. A high self monitor will act differently in these different contexts, perhaps acting more formally at work or cracking jokes with friends, if that is what others are doing.

High self monitors:

* show variability in behavior in different contexts, and are extremely flexibile in adapting to their current situation
* tend to have different public and private personas and are careful about mixing different social circles
* tend to make better managers and do better in jobs that involve influencing other people (sales, marketing, hiring, politicians)

Low self monitors:

* use internal values and beliefs in deciding how to behave
* act the same in most social circles
* can be relied upon for opinions as they tend to say it like they see it
* tend to be better in research and project-based work

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your score is 71, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a MODERATELY HIGH self-monitor.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
34/100.

I'm principled, but not suicidal. Sometimes, even though it's awful, you gotta hold back certain things to avoid being punched in the face.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your score is 51, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are neither a high nor low self-monitor.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Your score is 31, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a MODERATELY LOW self-monitor.

I don't have any problems with strategic deception. While you were still learning to spell your name, I was being trained to conquer galaxies!

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your score is 39, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are neither a high nor low self-monitor.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
34/100.

I'm principled, but not suicidal. Sometimes, even though it's awful, you gotta hold back certain things to avoid being punched in the face.

This.

Mae

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5sp
Your score is 28, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a MODERATELY LOW self-monitor.

It's true, as much as I sometimes wish I could fit in, I just don't know how / can't be bothered.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your score is 52, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are neither a high nor low self-monitor.

uncommonentity

42/100

Bit of a weird test though. Obviously I don't whip my dong out at kids parties so a little self adjustment is necessary to be well mannered.

yeghor

Your score is 33

TLDR =
High self monitors are more charismatic and prone to conning behaviour, Low self monitors are less charismatic and are prone to being disliked.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your score is 46, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are neither a high nor low self-monitor.

I didn't score as high as I thought I would, though I do think that the results were both skewed to be higher and lower than they're supposed to be.

For example, I answered the highest result for the question, "I have considered being an entertainer." - yes, I've considered joining the *orchestra as a musical performer, or joining a musical ensemble. I love being on stage. That likely will result in being scored higher, however there are plenty on 'authentic' people on-stage, and music, for example, isn't a type of performance where you necessarily need to put on an act. This question is both overly simplistic and broad.

Another example that might artificially skew the score to be lower: "I rarely seek the advice of my friends to choose movies, books, or music."
It's hard to understand how seeking the advice of media (and media often consumed alone) would result in high or low self-monitoring.

In fact, especially from the wording, 'seeking advice of my friends to choose' implies low self-monitoring, whereas judging from the results and descriptions of the results, it seems that you would actually end up with a higher self-monitor score if you actually followed your friends' trends (as is also shown with the other questions, for eg: "When I am uncertain how to act in a social situation, I look to the behavior of others for cues." - which also does contain the same irony. That, and, most people don't go around polling friends on which is the best music around to listen to, and some people do ask because they live under a rock but want to refresh their playlist, so this question is a weird mix of being overly specific yet too simplistic.

All in all, I think the questions are bad, simplistic, unclear/not specific enough.

Last edited:

yeghor

I guess the thread title should rather be "How self-censoring/obfuscating are you?"

I think scores in the range of 30 to 70 could be considered normal, anything below 30 is social inaptitude and anything higher than 70 is sign of a social gamer/manipulator.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Your score is 28, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a MODERATELY LOW self-monitor.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Your score is 28, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a MODERATELY LOW self-monitor

Low self monitors:

• use internal values and beliefs in deciding how to behave
  • act the same in most social circles
  • can be relied upon for opinions as they tend to say it like they see it
  • tend to be better in research and project-based work
I already knew I was bad but didn't think this bad. But it makes sense according to what I've been told IRL.
Tf is with the questions about acting and being an entertainer?