• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I hate self-reporting tests!

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
There's no one you're better at lying to than yourself, and yet, all of these expect you to report on your own behavior/motivations etc. Yes, you might get a decent representation of your persona, but even then, that's entirely dependent on what others see of you, rather than how you represent yourself. In the end, these tests need to be far more indirect to have any sort of interesting or relevant information.

Thank you.

gromit

likes this
Some people on here do that Johari/Nohari application... a part of me wants to, but I'm not sure I could convince my friends to do it.

I know what you mean though... there's no way to be objective about how you perceive yourself. Like that story about the blind men and the elephant (which I think is a metaphor for many things, actually!). The blind men are all touching different parts of the elephant and describing it to one another, but in reality the elephant is all of those things and more. A kind of synthesis of these different perspectives. I think it's actually a good way to go in terms of gaining an understanding of something, and a good way to go about understanding yourself, getting different perspectives from people who know you.

It just makes things really, really difficult when you are also the elephant.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure they hate you too. :tongue:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I do think they're funny. The tests tell you what you told the test you were :D

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The tests tell you what you told the test you were :D

Finally someone who gets it! :yes:

Though I still fail to see why this is seen as a problem...