• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I Write Like

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Six different samples came up with

Dan Brown, David Foster Wallace, Chuck Palahniuk, Gertrude Stein, H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe...

I guess I'm still trying to find my voice. :dry:

I tried several different samples and stopped at the first repeated result, a lazy scientific approach to repeatability...

Cory Doctorow
Dan Brown
David Foster Wallace
Stephenie Meyer
Gertrude Stein
William Shakespeare
Cory Doctorow

Given that I consciously adapt my written approach for the intended audience in many ways, I'm pleased to notice that I am actually as adaptable as I think I am!

Another good test site for style of writing is this one, click through to the TRY ONLINE page...a direct link to that page won't work properly.
LIWC: Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tried several different samples and stopped at the first repeated result, a lazy scientific approach to repeatability...

Cory Doctorow
Dan Brown
David Foster Wallace
Stephenie Meyer
Gertrude Stein
William Shakespeare
Cory Doctorow

Given that I consciously adapt my written approach for the intended audience in many ways, I'm pleased to notice that I am actually as adaptable as I think I am!

Another good test site for style of writing is this one, click through to the TRY ONLINE page...a direct link to that page won't work properly.
LIWC: Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count

Stop! Just STOP! Your erudition is deafening!

(I am *really really* jealous -- or I _would_ be if this test were anything but a hack, as prior contributors to the thread have complained -- of those who got Tolkien.
I do note, however, that neither Chesterton, nor Wodehouse, nor C.S. Lewis, were among the choices: the presence of which would indicate *real* writing talent. :worthy:)

P.S. At least Proust wasn't on the list. I mean, c'mon, who *really* writes page-long run-on sentences in French these days? :horror:

P.P.S. Someone ought to take the output from the postmodernist generator (Communications From Elsewhere) and see what it gives...

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stop! Just STOP! Your erudition is deafening!

(I am *really really* jealous -- or I _would_ be if this test were anything but a hack, as prior contributors to the thread have complained -- of those who got Tolkien.
I do note, however, that neither Chesterton, nor Wodehouse, nor C.S. Lewis, were among the choices: the presence of which would indicate *real* writing talent. :worthy:)

P.S. At least Proust wasn't on the list. I mean, c'mon, who *really* writes page-long run-on sentences in French these days? :horror:

P.P.S. Someone ought to take the output from the postmodernist generator (Communications From Elsewhere) and see what it gives...

Any site which says I write like the Bard is clearly *not* a hack...:encore:

I'm just thinking about the INFP English major I used to write to... If my writing is *that* good she must have felt pretty threatened by it... :matador::nopoints::boohoo:

I think I will just communicate with INFPs by stream-of-emoticons from now on...:orate::yapyapyap::moodeath::coffeeluv::rotfl:

As for which author I would like to emulate...yes, Chesterton for the inane streams of consciousness like the essay on Cheese, or Tolstoy for the testosterone laden scything passage in Anna Karenina, or maybe Le Guin for sheer imagination and visualisation, such as the Left Hand of Darkness where she remodels the whole of human sexuality into an alien mould...Plus Asimov for logic and Austen for occasional frippery and sarcasm. Whoops, that turned into a bit of a demosthenic rant...

PS. Demosthenes: Grecian orator: perfected to the utmost the tone of lofty speech, living passions, copiousness, readiness, speed...

Wish I could write or speak like him... :peepwall:

whatson

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Margaret Mitchell and David Foster Wallace

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any site which says I write like the Bard is clearly *not* a hack...:encore:

I'm just thinking about the INFP English major I used to write to... If my writing is *that* good she must have felt pretty threatened by it... :matador::nopoints::boohoo:

I think I will just communicate with INFPs by stream-of-emoticons from now on...:orate::yapyapyap::moodeath::coffeeluv::rotfl:

As for which author I would like to emulate...yes, Chesterton for the inane streams of consciousness like the essay on Cheese, or Tolstoy for the testosterone laden scything passage in Anna Karenina, or maybe Le Guin for sheer imagination and visualisation, such as the Left Hand of Darkness where she remodels the whole of human sexuality into an alien mould...Plus Asimov for logic and Austen for occasional frippery and sarcasm. Whoops, that turned into a bit of a demosthenic rant...

PS. Demosthenes: Grecian orator: perfected to the utmost the tone of lofty speech, living passions, copiousness, readiness, speed...

Wish I could write or speak like him... :peepwall:

Ehhh, it's all Greek to me. :dry: But if you'vre read Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, you'll see all of that, even in the arguments between captured troops and their captors, over whether or not to put them all to death...

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fiction:
David Foster Wallace
James Joyce
Ian Fleming
Rudyard Kipling
William Shakespeare

Long forum posts:
David Foster Wallace
Cory Doctorow
H.P. Lovecraft
Mark Twain (that's funny because I got James Fenimore Cooper once)

Long poems:
Ray Bradbury
Edgar Allan Poe
Chuck Palahniuk
Kurt Vonnegut
Ursula K. Le Guin (Hey, it's a woman!)

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Fiction stories: Stephen King, Ian Fleming, Chuck Palahniuk, Arthur Clarke
Lab report: Arthur Clarke
CV: Douglas Adams
Journal/Diary: Dan Brown
Long forum post: David Foster Wallace

Anyway, gonna go with Arthur Clarke on this since I got him twice :p

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ehhh, it's all Greek to me. :dry: But if you'vre read Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, you'll see all of that, even in the arguments between captured troops and their captors, over whether or not to put them all to death...

Okay, add another enormous book to my TBR pile. But only if it's an English translation, mind you, and it had better be as good as you say...

Wait. *looks suspicious* Is this a *military* book? I still haven't read that ... what was that armoured-tank-is-anthropomorphised book you recommended ages ago again? :uwin:

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, add another enormous book to my TBR pile. But only if it's an English translation, mind you, and it had better be as good as you say...

Wait. *looks suspicious* Is this a *military* book? I still haven't read that ... what was that armoured-tank-is-anthropomorphised book you recommended ages ago again? :uwin:

Two such, by two different authors, in two different (real, and, as far as I know, also, _storyline_ time periods).

Bolo, by Keith Laumer (series of short stories, I've read them)
Big Boys Don't Cry, by Tom Kratman

violett

Three writing samples, the first - H.P. Lovecraft. The second and third - David Foster Wallace.

Last edited:

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been inserting different texts I've written. So far, I've gotten H.P. Lovecraft 3 times, and Vladimir Nabokov once.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
David Foster Wallace - 4 times
dan brown - 1 time

Wow what a pleasant surprise my results were:

I don't deserve that compliment at all.

However I did laugh in surprise due us sharing the same birth date and a few other things ;).

Well hello.

Unionruler

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Edgar Allen Poe (presentation script)
Edgar Allen Poe (accounting research)
Margaret Atwood (letter to a friend)

Cygnus

David Foster Wallace - 4 times
dan brown - 1 time
those are the 2 i always get

i fInD ThIS TeST offEnSivE bEcuZ i nEVeR GEt hP lUvkrAFt wItcH MeEnz i Is nOT sMArT
Im rEpORtiGn tIhs To mY TuMBlR jUstiCe paTTroLe

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
those are the 2 i always get

I see that a lot of people have got those two authors as their type. Maybe it's like the default type for people who don't have a unique way of writing.

Most authors - who have written a shit ton - I assume develop their unique way of writing.

Hopefully you are not a e4 because what I said just now would make envious or whatever if you were.

;)