• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

aelan's weird and random tests

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Longevity: 73 years

Reading Speed: You read between 250 - 300 words per minute.

I only got three questions right on the "how good are you with words?" I panicked when I heard I only had a limited amount of time to figure out synonyms that I had to rearrange the letters into, and I had to guess because I couldn't think. I'm terrible at keeping all the letters while changing the word.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Longevity: 73 years

Reading Speed: You read between 250 - 300 words per minute.

I only got three questions right on the "how good are you with words?" I panicked when I heard I only had a limited amount of time to figure out synonyms that I had to rearrange the letters into, and I had to guess because I couldn't think. I'm terrible at keeping all the letters while changing the word.

Hmm. I think those who play Scrabble and Boggle (tiled word games) will have an easier time on that, in that you rotate the letters into common placings and flip around the word. I didn't do that by figuring out the synonyms, but more by rotating the letters.

*off to find more puzzles*

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Wooo, so many tests! Starting from the start and I'll work my way through most of them because I enjoy tests. Especially fun ones. :D

For the Colorz one I got about 52,000 the first time on easy, then 47,797 the second time on hard mode. :) Not too bad, and I could improve, but it definitely helped saying the colour of the first word out loud. :p

The sheep reaction time one I got 0.2308 seconds on the second go. Baa!

More tests coming up! Thanks for this Aelan!

EDIT: More results!

1. Lumosity:

BIRDWATCHING - SCORE: 2480
83% detection
22.7 error
70% Letter ID

(130)

MONSTER GARDEN - Score 3900
memory span is 4.9 items

(157)

RAINDROPS - Score 3976
Speed 30 Very Good
(82 equations solved)
Accuracy:
overall 96% Excellent!
under pressure 91% Great

(143)

Total Score

Strangely enough, Monster Garden stressed me out the most... I found it the least enjoyable. ^^ Yet Birdwatching I could do again and again! :p

4. The Room is a little odd, but interesting enough. Although I kept getting distracted by the pictures they put up... ^^

6. Musical memory... have my iTunes on right now and don't want to turn it off, so I'll do this another day. ^^

7. This one I'd already seen all those illusions before so I already knew all the answers. :p

8. Don't have the concentration right now to put my genuine, honest opinions to the test. Another time, maybe.

9. Taxi Driving, I got 25,693 points first go. Can't decide whether it's better to slow down and not crash or speed up and deal with crashes. ^^

10. Smash the Froggie: LOL. 280 points. Try again... 300! Haha. I can't work out the end... I kept dying when I jumped onto the land on the other side? Oh well. ^^

11. Sketch-Pak... 3290 points! ^^ The controls were wierd, though. Delayed a little, or something.

12. Anti-Pacman... 2240 points! Woo, that was actually kinda fun... Mr. Pacman too clever, though. I had to corner him and wait until one of my other minions wandered around my way and then grab him that way. :) I found it impossible to catch him with only one ghostie. ^^

13. Longevity Test... 84 years. :)

14. How fast do you read? 400-450 words a minute.

15. How good are you with words? I got three books, because I guessed the last few. ^^ Ah well.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Can we post our scores for the more personality-ish tests here?

The Room:

The Window: Your Attitude
Your choice of the "rainbow" window reveals an optimistic person who looks for the good side of situations & people. You are colorful, mysterious, dreamy, and visionary. On the darker side you may be viewed as saccharin sweet, given to singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow" in elevators with your mascara running like a faded country singer. You are very persuasive and often incite friends to gamble their money on lottery tickets. You routinely suffer from the Dorothy dilemma which is obvious by your ruby slippers worn when dating computer wizards. You spend much of your time in wishful thinking, searching for the pot of gold.

The Music: Your Lover
You rock while your partner rolls creating a pulsing beat that reaches to your very core. Your passion is deep and demanding, yet can often be fickle as it is pulled from one trend to the next, constantly trying to find a real hot groove.

The Pictures: Your Relationships
Revealing a disciplined personality with multiple friends and family of importance to its psyche. You are one who strives to display affection without syrupy sentiment manifesting emotion in a cool, detached manner.

The Garbage: Your Problems (I figured this is what the garbage can symbolized while I was taking it)
Problems come and go in your life but they do not cause you undue stress. You relax in the knowledge that you have an enduring, attractive and stylish response to the detritus of life. Your supreme confidence frees you from convention. Problems need not be hidden from sight but rather are handled in a transparent, translucent and effortless manner. You are on your way to achieving guru status for your wise handling of life's problems.

The Clock: Your Future
Your future is in plastics. Like the character (Dustin Hoffman) from The Graduate, you recognized early on the importance of plastic to maintaining a beautiful, hard body glowing with good health. Your face is a reflection of your quirky energy and ability to conceive new ideas with innovative flair. You have a long life ahead of you which is well warranted for one who radiates such happiness.

The results I got for the garbage can one were the most sapid of all.

For the chicken game, the highest score I've gotten so far is 109. For the shooting game, 26850.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
:D Yes feel free to.

I think others will be game to see who gets the best scores, especially for things like the chicken or the paper aeroplane game.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Wow, that Rabid chicken thing is insane. I got like 85 and I think I'll stop there. ^^

7980 points for the shoot-out first time... 13330 the time after... lol, I think I get to the point where I just shoot crazily three or four times in the direction of something moving before hitting it. ^^

Paper plane... omg I keep hitting the ceiling!! >< Nine times out of ten it doesn't go further than 4m or so... on the odd occasion I can get it to hit the back wall... must keep trying!!

WAHOOO! I got it out the window!! 70.633m! Yes! *does a happy dance*

EDIT: 74.566m now! Once you work out how to get it out the window it's all good. :)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
logic / lateral puzzles

For week 3, given the statistical nature of recent posts, here goes some logic and lateral puzzles. :)

Let's start with the easy ones:

1. You have two cups, one containing orange juice and one containing and equal amount of lemonade. One teaspoon of the orange juice is taken and mixed with the lemonade. Then a teaspoon of this mixture is mixed back into the orange juice. Is there more lemonade in the orange juice or more orange juice in the lemonade?

2. You have three boxes of fruit. One contains just apples, one contains just oranges, and one contains a mixture of both. Each box is labeled - one says "apples," one says "oranges," and one says "apples and oranges." However, it is known that none of the boxes are labeled correctly. How can you label the boxes correctly if you are only allowed to take and look at just one piece of fruit from just one of the boxes?

(My guess is males could have some trouble with this one, but I'm not certain):
3. At a family reunion were the following people: one grandfather, one grandmother, two fathers, two mothers, four children, three grandchildren, one brother, two sisters, two sons, two daughters, one father-in-law, one mother-in-law, and one daughter-in-law. But not as many people attended as it sounds. How many were there, and who were they?

And let's get tougher!

4. You have two slow-burning fuses, each of which will burn up in exactly one hour. They are not necessarily of the same length and width as each other, nor even necessarily of uniform width, so you can't measure a half hour by noting when one fuse is half burned. Using these two fuses, how can you measure 45 minutes?

5. Three men, members of a safari, are captured by cannibals in the jungle. The men are given one chance to escape with their lives. The men are lined up and bound to stakes such that one man can see the backs of the other two, the middle man can see the back of the front man, and the front man can't see anybody. The men are shown five hats, three of which are black and two of which are white. Then the men are blindfolded, and one of the five hats is placed on each man's head. The remaining two hats are hidden away. The blindfolds are removed. The men are told that if just one of the men can guess what hat he's wearing, they may all go free. Time passes. Finally, the front man, who can't see anyone, correctly guesses the color of his hat. What color was it, and how did he guess correctly?

6. Of three men, one always tells the truth, one always tells lies, and one answers "yes" or "no" randomly. Each man knows which one each of the others are. You may ask three yes/no questions, each of which may only be answered by one of the three men, after which you must be able to identify which man is which. How can you do it?

7. You have ten boxes, each of which contains nine balls. The balls in one box each weigh 0.9 pounds; the balls in all the other boxes weigh exactly one pound each. You have an accurate scale in front of you, with which you can determine the exact weight, in pounds, of any given set of balls. How can you determine which of the ten boxes contains the lighter balls with only one weighing?

And the famous Monty Hall Paradox (will we have a debate here?) :

8. You are on a game show. You are shown three closed doors. A prize is hidden behind one, and the game show host knows where it is. You are asked to select a door. You do. Before you open it, the host opens one of the other doors, showing that it is empty, then asks you if you'd like to change your guess. Should you, should you not, or doesn't it matter?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^

I couldn't even bring myself to read through it all in one try...It makes me sleepy.

Hahaha, actually I do have to catch a few Z's. And X's and maybe a Y or two.

The tests look good though! Did you devise them yourself?

I will try when better rested. (Also, I'm in day 3.5 of fast and fasting makes your head not work so good.)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
noo... I'm not that evil to devise them myself. I like logic and lateral puzzles so have a little collection. :)

Get some sleep... I think no one wants to play tonight. ..

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
How do you do those hiding content tags again? x-X Or are they even implemented?

I've heard of some of them... maybe I'm cheating? :unsure:

1. Is there more lemonade in the orange juice or more orange juice in the lemonade? - more orange in lemon? I don't want to overthink... how much orange did you remove when taking a spoonful of lemon?

2. You have three boxes of fruit. - take one from the "apples" box... if you get an apple, then it's the mix box... if it's an orange, then it's oranges OR the mix box. If you take one from the mix box... then you know for sure that one is apple or orange. ERROR x-X A box labelled incorrectly as apples can be a mix box or the orange box...

I have a solution! Don't look at the piece of fruit at all! Stick your hand in all three boxes and feel for the shape. Don't take any out or look. DONE! ^^;;;

3. At a family reunion - skipped, headache lol I'll go back and try later I promise :yes:

4. You have two slow-burning fuses - Why is this one easier than #3? Lit one fuse normally... at the same time lit both ends of the other fuse. When the fuse with 2 ends finished burning (1/2 hr), lit the other end of the normally lit fuse (now "1/2" finished). When that is finished... it'll be 45 minutes.

7. You have ten boxes, each of which contains nine balls. The balls in one box each weigh 0.9 pounds; the balls in all the other boxes weigh exactly one pound each. You have an accurate scale in front of you, with which you can determine the exact weight, in pounds, of any given set of balls. How can you determine which of the ten boxes contains the lighter balls with only one weighing? -
Steps:
1. label all boxes from 1 - 10
2. take 1 ball from box 1, 2 balls from box 2, 3 from 3... up to 9 from box 9
3. stuck all of them on the scale and weigh.
4. 45 Pd = box 10 is lighter, 44.9 Pd = box 1 is lighter, 44.8 Pd = box 2, 44.7 Pd = box 3... 44.1 Pd = box 9

The rest I need to think so more on... I feel like giving answers that will work but isn't the "correct" one at all. *smacks head*

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
2. You have three boxes of fruit. - take one from the "apples" box... if you get an apple, then it's the mix box... if it's an orange, then it's oranges OR the mix box. If you take one from the mix box... then you know for sure that one is apple or orange. ERROR x-X A box labelled incorrectly as apples can be a mix box or the orange box...

It's more like;

Take from mixed: whatever is inside is what the box is (it can't contain mixed fruits because the label is wrong). Then you exchange the "wrong" label from the box with a lable and add the mixed label to that box.

ie:

Box a = "Mixed fruit" = wrong. Box a contains Apples.
Box b = label is apple(or orange), so take off label and give to box a.
Box c = label is wrong, so take it off and... only box it can go on is box b (box a is now correct). So box b gets box c's label and box c gets box a's label

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
family reunion-

7 people- a older couple, thier son and daughter in law and their kids, one daughter and 2 sons! :)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
pt: correct *star!*

nightning:
OJ question, assume when you stir in the OJ into the lemonade, you get an evenly mixed solution. If you draw it out it is easier.

I lol-ed at your molesting the fruits solution. :D That's a different form of lateral thinking! :D

*star* to the balls question. :yes:

The fuse question takes a bit of out of the box thinking, it is why I put it as slightly more difficult. There's no way to solve it unless a person realises what you realised.

whatever, the identity of 3 of your people are wrong, but you've got the right number. :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
The fuse question takes a bit of out of the box thinking, it is why I put it as slightly more difficult. There's no way to solve it unless a person realises what you realised.

I found the hat problem the hardest (I needed to visualise it by writing it down, then it was ok)...

The fuse one irritated me because uneven timing means there is no "real" solution possible, even as given. Meh.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
whatever, the identity of 3 of your people are wrong, but you've got the right number. :D

;) I wasn't looking at the question while typing the answer- I guess I got a bit mixed up! :)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I found the hat problem the hardest (I needed to visualise it by writing it down, then it was ok)...

The fuse one irritated me because uneven timing means there is no "real" solution possible, even as given. Meh.

You've solved all?! :D

The one that irritated me the most was the Monty Hall paradox actually. I get the answer, but I can't accept it *lol*. There's a certain dissonance I cannot explain.

;) I wasn't looking at the question while typing the answer- I guess I got a bit mixed up! :)

:D Please tell me you won't take a wrong child home too. :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
You've solved all?! :D

The one that irritated me the most was the Monty Hall paradox actually. I get the answer, but I can't accept it *lol*. There's a certain dissonance I cannot explain.

Yup, but mind you I've seen most of them before in some form or another.

There was a talk about monty hall on another thread here - http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/fluff-zone/1840-simple-puzzles-stump-people-15.html#post51855 was the post I have saved (because of attachments), but isn't dealing with the problem itself - it's back and forth between a few different problems.

If I had more time, I would of done those other (and very difficult... :D ) problems too, since I haven't seen all of those already.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Without looking at anyone else's answers:

1. You have two cups, one containing orange juice and one containing and equal amount of lemonade. One teaspoon of the orange juice is taken and mixed with the lemonade. Then a teaspoon of this mixture is mixed back into the orange juice. Is there more lemonade in the orange juice or more orange juice in the lemonade?

There's more orange juice in the lemonade, because the teaspoon put into the orange juice was not purely lemonade, so there would be (slightly) less of it than if it was pure.

2. You have three boxes of fruit. One contains just apples, one contains just oranges, and one contains a mixture of both. Each box is labeled - one says "apples," one says "oranges," and one says "apples and oranges." However, it is known that none of the boxes are labeled correctly. How can you label the boxes correctly if you are only allowed to take and look at just one piece of fruit from just one of the boxes?

Well, taking a look at one piece of fruit from each box would give you one of one type of fruit, and two of the other type. Say, to make it easier to explain, I'll say we pull out two apples and one orange.

So clearly the orange came from the orange box. So one of the other boxes is labeled 'orange'. The third box (from which we pulled out an apple and is not labeled 'orange') we know also to have the wrong label, so logically there's only one choice left: the correct label for the third box is the one that the box containing only oranges sports. Then naturally the label that was on this third box is really the one for the one originally with the 'orange' label.

Hah, that's kinda hard to explain without specifics.

3. At a family reunion were the following people: one grandfather, one grandmother, two fathers, two mothers, four children, three grandchildren, one brother, two sisters, two sons, two daughters, one father-in-law, one mother-in-law, and one daughter-in-law. But not as many people attended as it sounds. How many were there, and who were they?

There are seven people: A grandfather (who is also a father and father-in-law), a grandmother (who is also a mother and mother-in-law), their son (who is also a father and a child), his wife (who is also a mother and daughter-in-law), and their three children, (who are also three grandchildren: two daughters and one son, who are also two sisters and one brother).

:D

4. You have two slow-burning fuses, each of which will burn up in exactly one hour. They are not necessarily of the same length and width as each other, nor even necessarily of uniform width, so you can't measure a half hour by noting when one fuse is half burned. Using these two fuses, how can you measure 45 minutes?

Oh, I've been asked this one before:

Initially, you light three ends of the two fuses: one on both ends and the other on just one end. When the first fuse burns out (the two burning ends having met in the middle), light the second fuse on the unlit end. When the second two burning ends meet each other, it's been half of half an hour later: i.e. 45 minutes.

5. Three men, members of a safari, are captured by cannibals in the jungle. The men are given one chance to escape with their lives. The men are lined up and bound to stakes such that one man can see the backs of the other two, the middle man can see the back of the front man, and the front man can't see anybody. The men are shown five hats, three of which are black and two of which are white. Then the men are blindfolded, and one of the five hats is placed on each man's head. The remaining two hats are hidden away. The blindfolds are removed. The men are told that if just one of the men can guess what hat he's wearing, they may all go free. Time passes. Finally, the front man, who can't see anyone, correctly guesses the color of his hat. What color was it, and how did he guess correctly?

Again, I think I've heard this one before, but unfortunately this time I don't remember the answer right off. ^^

Well, if the two front men were wearing white hats, the man in the back would obviously be able to guess straight away he was wearing a black hat, and thus the other two would realise from the immediacy of his answer that they were both wearing white hats.

Hrm. Beyond that... Lol. No idea.

6. Of three men, one always tells the truth, one always tells lies, and one answers "yes" or "no" randomly. Each man knows which one each of the others are. You may ask three yes/no questions, each of which may only be answered by one of the three men, after which you must be able to identify which man is which. How can you do it?

The questions you would have to ask would be something along the lines of "Will the second man say yes if I ask him if you're a liar?" or something like that.

Naturally the man that says yes or no randomly tends to throw things awry. Cause then neither of the other two could answer that question honestly. ^^

Lol. I know working out something like that would take forever with trial and error, so I can never be bothered. ;)

7. You have ten boxes, each of which contains nine balls. The balls in one box each weigh 0.9 pounds; the balls in all the other boxes weigh exactly one pound each. You have an accurate scale in front of you, with which you can determine the exact weight, in pounds, of any given set of balls. How can you determine which of the ten boxes contains the lighter balls with only one weighing?

So you're only allowed to weigh one box once? I would remove all the balls from one box, then place one ball from the second box, two balls from the third box, three balls from the fourth box and so on.

Then the weight of the box would give you your answer: if it's an even number of pounds the first box was the one with the 0.9 pound balls, if the weight is xx.9, then it was the second box, xx.8 is the third box, xx.7 the fourth, etc.

I'm assuming that the box can fit all those balls and the box's weight is negligible?

8. You are on a game show. You are shown three closed doors. A prize is hidden behind one, and the game show host knows where it is. You are asked to select a door. You do. Before you open it, the host opens one of the other doors, showing that it is empty, then asks you if you'd like to change your guess. Should you, should you not, or doesn't it matter?

Oh, there's some statistical answer to this, isn't there? Even though it seems like it wouldn't matter...

Yes, I'm not going to bother figuring it out. I wouldn't know where to begin, either. :D

So that's 5/8! Not too bad. ^^