• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What American accent do you have?

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another regional question. Does anyone ever say "boughten" as in "I don't remember what I've boughten"? I find that slipping out sometimes, and people have called me out on it, but I know I'm not the only one who does it.

I grew up in the Midwest and I have heard that. :yes:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I've never heard of "boughten" where I'm at.

I kind of use pop and soda interchangeably but what really floors me is those people down south who refer to any carbonated beverage as "coke".

"So what kind of coke would you like?"

You mean diet or regular???

Haha I know.

La de Longe

MBTI Type
infj
I suspected it could be a midwest thing, since the only people I've ever heard say it were from Ohio. I love having my suspicions confirmed. :D

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
Hmm....I'm not sure if this is a indicator or any particular accent (I'm from D.C., move around the south, been to new england) but I have a particular problem with saying "writ" when I should have said "wrote"

I'll say something like "I writ it yesterday" or "I've written it"

Maybe it's just my poor grasp on grammar?

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Got Midland. I've had multiple people say I have a Southern accent though.

La de Longe

MBTI Type
infj
Hmm....I'm not sure if this is a indicator or any particular accent (I'm from D.C., move around the south, been to new england) but I have a particular problem with saying "writ" when I should have said "wrote"

I'll say something like "I writ it yesterday" or "I've written it"

Maybe it's just my poor grasp on grammar?

No, that makes sense. There's a tendency for people to conjugate verbs based on other verbs that they sound like. I don't know what it's called in linguistics, but think of:

bite (present) ---> bit (past)
write (present) ---> writ (past)

It's the actually the exact same thing as the bought/boughten thing I mentioned, which is analogous to got/gotten.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Your Result: Philadelphia
Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

=O I tought I'd get like "The-Fail-French-Who-Tries-To-Speak-English"

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Midland, bitches. But I have an ever-so-slight Chicago accent IRL.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol i got northeast born and raised in london

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your Result: The West, 96%

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

67% Philadelphia
65% The South
63% The Inland North
57% The West
45% The Northeast
38% Boston
36% North Central

Footnote: I usually speak with a British accent that has slight Aussie tones underneath.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop

-yep

Your Result: The West - 96%

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Yup. Boring California accent.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got the West, which I really wasn't expecting since I'm from New England.

Boston 94% Got me. Howevah I don’t sound nearly as bad as people a few minutes drive north of me. Want some chowdah?