• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What American accent do you have?

Talisyn

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9-1
The WEST =)
The true newscaster non-accent.
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta

Ha, well, I do live in the west ;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Is this the average American TV accent? I learned my English from watching American cartoons.

Not at all. TV accent is Midland, which is like, totally different.

The reason I'm guessing that all the foreigners keep getting this accent is because it's the one that's most like an English accent and all of its many, many derivatives. So I think in this test RP, Estuary, Australian, and South African (not sure about Kiwis) would all go to Northeastern.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Not at all. TV accent is Midland, which is like, totally different.

The reason I'm guessing that all the foreigners keep getting this accent is because it's the one that's most like an English accent and all of its many, many derivatives. So I think in this test RP, Estuary, Australian, and South African (not sure about Kiwis) would all go to Northeastern.

Yes, I´ve been told many times that I sound British, I studied English in a British institute, so that has to be the reason. Thanks for describing the "Inland North" accent.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yes, I´ve been told many times that I sound British, I studied English in a British institute, so that has to be the reason. Thanks for describing the "Inland North" accent.

"Inland North" and "Northeastern" are totally different. "Inland North" sounds stereotypically Canadian.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
"Inland North" and "Northeastern" are totally different. "Inland North" sounds stereotypically Canadian.

So, we foreigners sound Canadian according to this test. That´s a good thing, since I would love to visit Canada.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So, we foreigners sound Canadian according to this test. That´s a good thing, since I would love to visit Canada.

Just before you posted, a whole bunch of foreigners said they got "Northeastern," so I was responding to them.

Are you from a northern country?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
No, a southern one: Uruguay.

Do you live in a cold place?

It's very strange. The "Canadian" accent apparently comes from first nations while the American northern accent comes from Scandinavians, and they ended up sounding so similar.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Do you live in a cold place?

It's very strange. The "Canadian" accent apparently comes from first nations while the American northern accent comes from Scandinavians, and they ended up sounding so similar.

No, it´s cold only in Winter. That´s an interesting fact too.

moira

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
I am from Ukraine

Your Result: The Inland North
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a Midland accent, which is accurate. :yes:

It's really hard for me to imagine cot/caught and merry/Mary/marry sounding differently. :shock:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, the European Union is the largest economy in the world. They just surpassed the US.

69077272.jpg

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html
1) The EU is not a country
2) NAFTA has a bigger economy.

I got Midland.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have a Midland accent, which is accurate. :yes:

It's really hard for me to imagine cot/caught and merry/Mary/marry sounding differently. :shock:

I'm Southern US, so " cot" is "cahhht" and "caught" is " cawttt". Merry/Mary/marry all come out " Mair ree". :D

Our accent is heavily influenced by the English and Scottish settlers in the 15th century.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
I got inland north which is a part of the country I've never been to. According to others, my accent sounds very indistinct or it sounds slightly like the opposite of what they are. For example: Southern people think I'm from the north (I'm from D.C.) and people from the north/new england think I'm from the south (pretty much, just not the north)

streetlightfancy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm from Brooklyn, NY
I don't really have a typically Brooklyn accent, but when I'm caught up in a moment, saying "dog" or "coffee" will undoubtedly reveal my hometown

The o's have more of an "aw" sound

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm from Brooklyn, NY
I don't really have a typically Brooklyn accent, but when I'm caught up in a moment, saying "dog" or "coffee" will undoubtedly reveal my hometown

The o's have more of an "aw" sound

Kind of like Franny Drescher on " The Nanny"? She's so adorable, and my brain can't comprehend someone instinctively talking that way. lol Of course, when I visited family out in the Utah desert, they would make me say something, and then they would laugh and laugh, and swear I had the funniest accent they'd ever heard. :p

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kind of like Franny Drescher on " The Nanny"? She's so adorable, and my brain can't comprehend someone instinctively talking that way. lol Of course, when I visited family out in the Utah desert, they would make me say something, and then they would laugh and laugh, and swear I had the funniest accent they'd ever heard. :p

I've never heard you or your sister. Would you say you are more southern twang, or southern drawl?

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've never heard you or your sister. Would you say you are more southern twang, or southern drawl?

Good question!

Well, I would say more of a drawl. (?) We try to enunciate, but it's tough to know what words are affected by the accent overall. Silently Honest has spoken to Domino - perhaps he can give an opinion.