• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What American accent do you have?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mildly Southern but if you were to listen closely it's actually specifically a Mountain accent that mainly people in the Appalachian regions of West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee have.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
P.S.

I didn't even take the quiz.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your Result: Boston
You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

Ha, I was just thinking "I don't have a Boston accent." Even though I was born and raised in Boston. My accent seems nonexistent compared to other Bostonians; I thought I'd gotten rid of it... maybe not.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I got inland north, despite being from the northeast. I have a problem with the test, as if I detect ANY difference in sound I say it's different. This whole "almost different, but really close" nonsense provides no benchmark. How almost is almost? Very subjective.

Kanamori

Inland North... It's right, I am from Wisconsin, although I've spent enough time in the UK and California for it to be a little different.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Midland... well, I'm from Indiana, so it's no real surprise... My Chicago area roommate freshman year thought I was from Kentucky though and I'm most frequently accused of sounding like I'm from Pennsylvania by people from elsewhere :dry:

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I got inland north, but to be fair I am Canadian and they didn't ask me about the sounds people from my area of Canada mispronounce. Most of us, myself included can't pronounce beg, for example, without sounding weird: I'm bagging you!

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
The Northeast.

"Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."

:huh: Apparently Northeasterners sound the most Australian of the American accents. Must be because they sound the most British?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Your Result: The Inland North
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I'm Dutch.

P

Phantonym

Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Result Breakdown:
87% Philadelphia
80% The Midland
76% The Northeast
62% The South
56% Boston
56% The Inland North
33% The West
15% North Central

:laugh: Ok, I had to YouTube Philly accent. I don't know, I really can't tell.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Northeast. Got the NY accent all the way.

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
West & Midland seem to both be nearly identical, neutral accents. Although West seems to have some subtle differences that are kind of hard to pick out when you're actually listening to someone talk (hence the "no one thinks you have an accent unless you're a SoCal surfer"), for example I pronounce "stock" and "stalk" the same, but I get Midland if I say different on the quiz.

The Inland North

I'm from Germany however :)
I got inland north, but to be fair I am Canadian and they didn't ask me about the sounds people from my area of Canada mispronounce. Most of us, myself included can't pronounce beg, for example, without sounding weird: I'm bagging you!

Your Result: The Inland North
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I'm Dutch.

Not much point in taking the quiz if you're not even American, is there? :rofl1: /jk

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Your Result: The Midland
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
Result Breakdown:
100% The Midland
73% The South
69% The West
47% Philadelphia
41% The Inland North
31% Boston
29% North Central
27% The Northeast
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

I'm Australian... I'm Chinese.. :huh: How do I have an accent?

heart

heart on fire
When I met my in-laws and they kept asking for a "pop" it would crack me up. I mean, I grew up in Texas in the 70-80s and a pop there meant you'd like someone to smack you in the mouth.

I don't know if people in TX use pop for soda now or not. It's been years since Texas.

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I met my in-laws and they kept asking for a "pop" it would crack me up. I mean, I grew up in Texas in the 70-80s and a pop there meant you'd like someone to smack you in the mouth.

I don't know if people in TX use pop for soda now or not. It's been years since Texas.

total-county.html

Whenever I hear anyone say "pop", I feel like I'm in the 1950s in the corner soda fountain. It just feels so anachronistic. But apparently it's the word used in a good part of the country.