• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What American accent do you have?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years. And is the second largest economy in the world today.

So when we hear the American accent we think of money and God.

And you constantly remind us, for you have written on the Reserve Currency of the World, the US Dollar, the words, "In God We Trust".

If you don't like it, then don't spend it! :newwink:

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ha, I was just thinking "I don't have a Boston accent." Even though I was born and raised in Boston. My accent seems nonexistent compared to other Bostonians; I thought I'd gotten rid of it... maybe not.

same! and it knew!

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Your Result: The Northeast
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.
Result Breakdown:
88% The Northeast
81% The Inland North
73% Philadelphia
50% The South
40% The Midland
31% Boston
15% North Central
6% The West

:yim_rolling_on_the_

*recovers breath somewhat*

Ok, I think it's official. The test criteria fail for non-Americans. Obviously I don't have an American accent, but I would have thought it would have come up with the one that sounds closest to the way I actually DO speak. If anything does, I don't think it's this one. I find that North-Eastern, Ny-ish accent quite entertaining, but the mutual incomprehension is considerable, even allowing for transatlantic differences. Sometimes my American ex's NY-bred parents and I could barely understand a word the other was saying, especially on their side (I suppose we're more used to hearing Americans speak than the converse).

Amalie

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Your Result: The Inland North
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
Result Breakdown:
89% The Inland North
73% Philadelphia
73% The Northeast
62% The South
50% The Midland
22% North Central
14% The West
13% Boston

Uh.. I think I speak more British than American anyway, but interesting to see...

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't think anyone else has gotten this result yet...I am Canadian though, not mistaken for one. I had no idea this was the 'Minnesota accent' in the states.

Your Result: North Central
"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.
Result Breakdown:
100% North Central
69% The West
55% The Midland
50% Boston
30% The Inland North
8% The South
0% Philadelphia
0% The Northeast
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz

Atomic Fiend

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
There is no such thing as "you don't have an accent." Even the accent in the general Omaha, NE area (which was the most common for broadcast journalism) has certain aspects that are unique. The Inland accent has some quirks about it (like the Mary-marry-merry merger). And, of course, having a less obvious accent doesn't mean you "have a good voice for TV and radio." That is just silly.

It's quite funny for me with these quizzes. I ALWAYS get Philadelphia accent, and I am a native Philadelphian, but almost no one in Los Angeles can guess where I grew up. If you know how Philadelphians pronounce certain words (like frog and dog NOT rhyming), you might be able to decipher it, but no one notices with me. My Philadelphian friends think I have no accent at all, but I do. We all do. I have actually had a few people in L.A. say that I have a slight British twinge to my accent, which is very interesting. I've spent a grand total of ten days in the United Kingdom in my life.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
total-county.html

Whenever I hear anyone say "pop", I feel like I'm in the 1950s in the corner soda fountain. It just feels so anachronistic. But apparently it's the word used in a good part of the country.

In some parts of the South, they use "coke" for all sodas. Like,

Q: "Would you like a coke?"

A: "Yes, a ginger ale, please."

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Hmm... I am not from any of those places. I have lived in California my whole life, so I suppose that could be considered a neutral accent too. But I do slip into a valley girl-ish accent sometimes (even though I am not from the valley) that might roughly give away where I am from.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Apparently (but Falcarius would not know the difference between any American accent as he is not American);

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

I'm not American

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
I'm the midland accent :)

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP
The Inland North (which I've also heard described as the Upper-Mid-West).

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Midland, not too surprising, since I live there, although there are so many people in Pennsylvania with 'hick' accents, but that wasn't a category.

KDude

The West
Boston
North Central
The South
The Inland North
Philadelphia
The Northeast

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm french, not american, but:

Result Breakdown:
85% The Inland North
70% The Northeast
63% Philadelphia
61% The Midland
47% The South
26% Boston
26% North Central
19% The West

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The Northeast.

"Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."

:huh: Apparently Northeasterners sound the most Australian of the American accents. Must be because they sound the most British?

Apparently so, that's the result I got too.

The Northeast 88%
Philadelphia 73%
The Inland North 70%
The Midland 55%
The South 54%
Boston 31%
The West 14%
North Central 0%

LucrativeSid

The Inland North

That's pretty good because I live between Chicago and Wisconsin and I do, of course, call carbonated beverages "pop".

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Just for curiosity. I see all non-Americans (like me) who posted so far got this result.