• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Philosophical personality test

Opivy1980

MBTI Type
INTJ
1 optimism, -4 faith, and 4 logic!

Rationalist

Rationalism is the most scientific of the philosophies. No matter how bizarre something may seem, rationalists will always discount the supernatural. To them, there is no such thing as a mystical, otherworldly explanation for anything, no exceptions. Everything, no matter how strange, can be proven through science sooner or later. If something is genuine, there is an explanation for it.

On a side note typical irrational thought from nocturne, "the test is just an ok cupid test" dismiss the test because it doesn't give you the answer you want. Why bother to take a test if you don't accept the validity of it in the first place?

LIND

MBTI Type
ENTP
Foundationalist!

Foundationalists believe in logical, ordered opinions, built on other opinions. Building ideas is like building a house - you have to start at the most basic truths, and work your way up from there, otherwise it simply doesn't work. Thus, a foundationalist's entire goal is to find a single universal truth, that cannot be refuted by any argument. Once that truth has been found, everything else can fall into place. "I think, therefore I am" is often argued to be one of these basic truths.

Famous foundationalists include: Rene Descartes.

The opposite of Foundationalism is Realism.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Your Score: Existentialist
-1 optimism, 2 faith, and 0 logic!

In Greek mythology, a man named Sisyphus had angered the gods during his life. When he died, he was sent to Hades, and punished by constantly having to push a boulder up a hill. Every time he reached the top, the boulder rolled back down to the bottom and he had to start over. This process repeats itself for eternity.

That's more or less how existentialists view life. We're much like Sisyphus - struggling to push a rock up a hill, knowing that even if we succeed, it won't matter. No matter how great our achievements may be, in the end, they're completely meaningless. But like Sisyphus, we should continue living our meaningless lives, in order to defy whatever force is punishing us.

heart

heart on fire
Not sure how I got this!

Your Score: Optimist

2 optimism, 3 faith, and 2 logic!

"These are the people who always see the glass half full, and believe that we live in the best possible world."

Well, no I don't actually....I do believe that someday things will work out but that isn't here yet, not by a long shot.

"Optimists are a dying breed in this day and age. To the optimists, the world is a positive place. Everything is inherently good, and all things will work out in the end. They believe violence will one day be replaced with logic and reason, and that all religions can coexisist peacefully. These are the people who always see the glass half full, and believe that we live in the best possible world."

ferunandesu

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Regressionist.

I'm still not entirely sure of what it means to be a regressionist, but I'm quite sure that I won't care any more by the time I finish typing this sentence.. F_-K

Feyerabend is interesting, but I don't agree with him.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Pancritical Rationalist, which doesn't surprise me because I am a Popperian Falsificationist.

Pseudonym_Alpha

MBTI Type
INFJ
Spiritualist :p

2 optimism, 5 faith, and -4 logic!

Apparently im not very logical lol

You scored higher than 55% on optimism
You scored higher than 95% on faith
You scored higher than 0% on logic

Celtinfj

MBTI Type
iNFj
Wanna talk about a lack of logic!

Spiritualist

5 optimism, 3 faith, and 0 logic!

Last edited:

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Regressionist

Started reading about Feyerabend. Very reasonable fellow from what I've read so far.

"One of the criteria for evaluating scientific theories that Feyerabend attacks is the consistency criterion. He points out that to insist that new theories be consistent with old theories gives an unreasonable advantage to the older theory. He makes the logical point that being compatible with a defunct older theory does not increase the validity or truth of a new theory over an alternative covering the same content. That is, if one had to choose between two theories of equal explanatory power, to choose the one that is compatible with an older, falsified theory is to make an aesthetic, rather than a rational choice. The familiarity of such a theory might also make it more appealing to scientists, since they will not have to disregard as many cherished prejudices. Hence, that theory can be said to have "an unfair advantage".

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
"One of the criteria for evaluating scientific theories that Feyerabend attacks is the consistency criterion. He points out that to insist that new theories be consistent with old theories gives an unreasonable advantage to the older theory. He makes the logical point that being compatible with a defunct older theory does not increase the validity or truth of a new theory over an alternative covering the same content. That is, if one had to choose between two theories of equal explanatory power, to choose the one that is compatible with an older, falsified theory is to make an aesthetic, rather than a rational choice. The familiarity of such a theory might also make it more appealing to scientists, since they will not have to disregard as many cherished prejudices. Hence, that theory can be said to have 'an unfair advantage'."

That's interesting, "rather than a rational choice" he says, but what would a rational choice look like? We can but wonder...

ygolo

My termites win
Regressionist

Started reading about Feyerabend. Very reasonable fellow from what I've read so far.

"One of the criteria for evaluating scientific theories that Feyerabend attacks is the consistency criterion. He points out that to insist that new theories be consistent with old theories gives an unreasonable advantage to the older theory. He makes the logical point that being compatible with a defunct older theory does not increase the validity or truth of a new theory over an alternative covering the same content. That is, if one had to choose between two theories of equal explanatory power, to choose the one that is compatible with an older, falsified theory is to make an aesthetic, rather than a rational choice. The familiarity of such a theory might also make it more appealing to scientists, since they will not have to disregard as many cherished prejudices. Hence, that theory can be said to have "an unfair advantage".

I think the preference for compatibility with the "old theory" is a natural one since that decision would then allow for creating a large number of new inferences by combining the new and old theories, which would, in turn, yield more testable hypotheses.

Also, if an old theory is being "replaced" by a new theory, then the predictions of the new theory should match the predictions of the old theory just to "save the phenomena".

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your Score: Rationalist
2 optimism, 0 faith, and 2 logic!

It doesn't describe me well, but hey, it's OK Cupid. ;)

That, and I am very tired.

cheers,
Ian

ygolo

My termites win
Your Score: Optimist
2 optimism, 2 faith, and 3 logic!

Optimists are a dying breed in this day and age. To the optimists, the world is a positive place. Everything is inherently good, and all things will work out in the end. They believe violence will one day be replaced with logic and reason, and that all religions can coexisist peacefully. These are the people who always see the glass half full, and believe that we live in the best possible world.

Famous optimists include: Gottfried Leibniz, William Godwin.

The opposite of Optimism is Skepticism.

My test tracked 3 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 50% on optimism
You scored higher than 75% on faith
You scored higher than 55% on logic

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Your Score: Regressionist
0 optimism, -2 faith, and 5 logic!

Regressionists believe that every question must have an answer, and anything that cannot be answered must not be true.
Incorrect. I answered the questions truthfully, and I do not think the reality as so. What the test results describe here is the philosophy of constructivism. I believe that some well-defineded problems are undecidable.
Thus, their search for truth is based around asking the question "Why?" rather than "How?". They're also the most annoying type to have a conversation with.
Thanks, Okcupid.
"It's hot today."
"Why?"
"Because there's no clouds blocking the sun, and no wind to create a breeze."
"Why?"
"Because the vapors in the air haven't condensed enough to form clouds, and the wind patterns haven't shifted to our region."
"Why?"

And so on.
Actually, I'd be the likely candidate for the one doing the explanations.
Famous regressionists include: Paul Feyerabend.

The opposite of Regressionism is Spiritualism.

My test tracked 3 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:
You scored higher than 9% on optimism
Sounds ok

You scored higher than 17% on faith
yep

You scored higher than 91% on logic
Well applied logic is different from theoretical logic.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Funny, I've done a different one ages ago and scored high as a Stoic.

Existentialist:
In Greek mythology, a man named Sisyphus had angered the gods during his life. When he died, he was sent to Hades, and punished by constantly having to push a boulder up a hill. Every time he reached the top, the boulder rolled back down to the bottom and he had to start over. This process repeats itself for eternity.

That's more or less how existentialists view life. We're much like Sisyphus - struggling to push a rock up a hill, knowing that even if we succeed, it won't matter. No matter how great our achievements may be, in the end, they're completely meaningless. But like Sisyphus, we should continue living our meaningless lives, in order to defy whatever force is punishing us.

Famous existentialists include: Albert Camus, Friedrich Nietzsche.

The opposite of Existentialism is Rationalism.