• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BBC Gender Test

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is the link for the BBC Sex ID (i.e., "Gender) test.

Some of these items are more "novelty" ones than anything else, but you might all enjoy them.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, but when you've been through years of gender 'testing' like we have, both professional and personal, these things are too easy to cheat :D

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I took this test already...scored as average male. :shock:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, but when you've been through years of gender 'testing' like we have, both professional and personal, these things are too easy to cheat :D

Shhhhh!!! Don't TELL them...!!!! :rolli:

Here are my scores. I took it once a year ago or so. Nothing really different at all from the first time. (I am an uber-androgender-wunderkin!)

Your personal brain score: 0
Average score for MEN who've taken this survey: 50
Average score for WOMEN who've taken this survey: -50

Part 1: Angles

This task tested your ability to identify the angle of a line by matching it with its twin. This is a spatial task, which looks at how you picture space.
Your score: 18 out of 20
Average score for men: 15.1 out of 20
Average score for women: 13.3 out of 20

Spot the difference

This task tested your ability to identify which objects changed position. You lost points, if you incorrectly identified objects.
Your score: 71%
Average score for men: 39%
Average score for women: 46%

Part 2: Hands

You said your left thumb was on top when you clasped your hands together.

Left thumb on top: This suggests the right half of your brain is dominant. Some studies theorise that as a right brain dominant person, you may excel in visual, spatial and intuitive processes.

Part 3: Emotions and Systems

This task looked at whether you prefer to empathise or systemise.

Empathising
Your empathy score is: 11 out of 20
Average score for men: 7.9 out of 20
Average score for women: 10.6 out of 20

Systemising
Your systemising score is: 13 out of 20
Average score for men: 12.5 out of 20
Average score for women: 8.0 out of 20

Eyes
This task tested your ability to judge people's emotions.
Your score: 8 out of 10
Average score for men: 6.6 out of 10
Average score for women: 6.6 out of 10

Part 4: Fingers

We asked you to measure your ring and index fingers. Your ratios came to:
Right Hand: 1.02
Left Hand: 0.98

Average ratio for men: 0.982
Average ratio for women: 0.991

Part 5: Faces

This task looked at how you rate the attractiveness of a series of faces. The images you looked at were digitally altered to create slight differences in masculinity.

Your choices suggest you prefer more masculine faces.

Highly masculinised male faces possess more extreme testosterone markers such as a long, broad and lower jaw, as well as more pronounced brow ridges and cheekbones.

Part 6: 3D shapes

This task tested your ability to mentally rotate 3D shapes.
Your score: 12 out of 12
Average score for men: 8.2 out of 12
Average score for women: 7.1 out of 12

Words

Your score: you associated 26 word(s) with grey and you named 15 word(s) that mean happy. We are assuming that all the words you entered are correct.
Average score for men: 11.4 words total
Average score for women: 12.4 words total

Ultimatum
This task asked you how you would divide money.
If you had to split you had to split $50 with someone, you said you would demand $30.

So far on the Sex ID test, men have demanded 51.6% ($25.80) of the pot and women have demanded 51.0% ($25.50), on average.

What does your response suggest?

Sex differences are small in this task. Demanding less than 60% of the pot (ie $30) is more typically female. Demanding more than 65% of the pot (ie $32.50) is more typically male.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I decided to take this because the 2d:4d measurements from another thread a week or so ago made me curious!! Also, a funny sidenote -- my right hand is more masculine (2d:4d ratio on rt hand is 0.94, whereas left hand is 0.98), and so is the right half of my face!!! The right half of my face is slightly more angular and less full, whereas the left side of my face is poofier and is more full!! (not terribly noticeable, but at certain angles it's pretty evident!! I guess the left side of my body had more estrogen than the right side while I was in the womb?? :D :huh: )

Your personal brain score: = -25
Average score for MEN who've taken this survey: = 50
Average score for WOMEN who've taken this survey: = -50

Angles
This task tested your ability to identify the angle of a line by matching it with its twin. This is a spatial task, which looks at how you picture space.
Your score: 18 out of 20

Spot the difference
This task tested your ability to identify which objects changed position. You lost points, if you incorrectly identified objects.
Your score: 50%

Hands
You said your right thumb was on top when you clasped your hands together.
Right thumb on top: This suggests the left half of your brain is dominant. Many studies have tried to establish whether there is a relationship between handedness and brain dominance. Some scientists believe that if you are left brain dominant, you would be more verbal and analytical.
Left thumb on top: This suggests the right half of your brain is dominant. Some studies theorise that as a right brain dominant person, you may excel in visual, spatial and intuitive processes.

Emotions and Systems
This task looked at whether you prefer to empathise or systemise.
Empathising

Your empathy score is: 11 out of 20

Systemising
Your systemising score is: 4 out of 20
What does your result suggest?

This task tested your ability to judge people's emotions.
Your score: 7 out of 10

Fingers
We asked you to measure your ring and index fingers. Your ratios came to:
Right Hand: 0.94

Faces
This task looked at how you rate the attractiveness of a series of faces. The images you looked at were digitally altered to create slight differences in masculinity.
Your choices suggest you prefer more masculine faces.
Highly masculinised male faces possess more extreme testosterone markers such as a long, broad and lower jaw, as well as more pronounced brow ridges and cheekbones.
Interestingly, women's preferences are said to vary across the menstrual phase. A more masculine face is preferred during the 9 days prior to ovulation, when conception is most likely.
A typical 'attractive' female face possesses features such as a shorter, narrower, lower jaw, fuller lips and larger eyes than an average face.
Are you surprised at what researchers think they can learn from your answers? Find out more.

3D shapes
Your score: 6 out of 12
Words
This task looked at your verbal fluency.
Your score: you associated 11 word(s) with grey and you named 6 word(s) that mean happy. We are assuming that all the words you entered are correct.
What does your result suggest?

If you produced 1 - 5 words: You are more of the strong, silent type with a male brain. You probably find it easier to express yourself in non-verbal ways, preferring action rather than words.
If you produced 6 - 10 words: Most people in this range have a female-type brain.
Women are said to use both sides of the brain when doing verbal tasks while men mainly use their left side. Studies have shown that girls develop vocabulary faster than boys. This difference in brain power is caused by levels of pre-natal testosterone. Find out more .

Ultimatum
If you had to split £50 with someone, you said you would demand £25
So far on the Sex ID test, men have demanded 51.6% (£25.80) of the pot and women have demanded 51.0% (£25.50), on average.
What does your response suggest?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
When I answer these things honestly, I usually come out in the middle of the male range, or slightly closer to the 'centre'.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I answer these things honestly, I usually come out in the middle of the male range, or slightly closer to the 'centre'.

Here is a question -- Did you have any noticeable perceptive shift in your spatial senses when you started taking testosterone? (i.e., your 3d shape manipulation abilities?)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Angles

Your score: 15 out of 20

If you scored 13 - 17: You found this test neither hard nor easy. This suggests your brain has male and female traits when it comes to spatial ability.

Spot the difference

Your score: 21%

If you scored between 0 - 33%: You may have more of a male brain. Scientists say men tend to under perform in this task. The corpus callosum, the part of the brain that links the right and left hemispheres, is a fifth larger in women. This means women can process visual and other signals at the same time more easily than men. There is also a theory that oestrogen levels in women give them an added advantage in spatial memory.

Hands

Emotions and Systems

Empathising

Your empathy score is: 3 out of 20

Systemising

Your systemising score is: 12 out of 20

Eyes

Your score: 6 out of 10

If you scored 4 - 6: Your result suggests you have a balanced female-male brain and find it neither easy nor difficult to judge people's emotions.

Fingers

Right Hand: 1.02
Left Hand: 1.04

It's thought that your ratio is governed by the amount of testosterone you were exposed to in your mother's womb. The ratio of the length of your index finger to the length of your ring finger is set for life by as early as three months after conception. Even during puberty, when we experience intensive hormonal changes, the ratio stays the same.

Faces
Your choices suggest you prefer more feminine faces.

3D shapes

Your score: 12 out of 12

If you scored 10 - 12: Are you an engineer or do you have a science background? People with these skills tend to score in this range. Past studies have concluded that people in this range have a more male brain.

Words

Your score: you associated 12 word(s) with grey and you named 6 word(s) that mean happy. We are assuming that all the words you entered are correct.

Ultimatum

If you had to split £50 with someone, you said you would demand £49

So far on the Sex ID test, men have demanded 51.6% (£25.80) of the pot and women have demanded 51.0% (£25.50), on average.

-----------------

The ultimatum was about rationality. Since they lose everything if they turn down the bet, then rationally they should pick any amount greater than 0.

The second answer I would of given was $25, as I would in a normal world situation in which there are outsides costs associated with the opportunity, as well as social benefits to being fair. In the lab, however, no.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Note to folks: Watch out for that british pound sign, it's wreaking havoc on the post completion... I swapped mine for a dollar sign. :devil:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Here is a question -- Did you have any noticeable perceptive shift in your spatial senses when you started taking testosterone? (i.e., your 3d shape manipulation abilities?)

I believe you're trying to entrap me into making politically incorrect statements :thelook:

I could say many things about how things changed for me when my brain lost estrogen and gained testosterone as its main fuel. But much of it would probably meet with resistance! lol

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I believe you're trying to entrap me into making politically incorrect statements :thelook:

I could say many things about how things changed for me when my brain lost estrogen and gained testosterone as its main fuel. But much of it would probably meet with resistance! lol

:D I'd be curious to hear it. But no pressure ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:devil: I'm not self-titled a "provokateur" for nuttin'!

Aw, a big hunka man like you, afraid of a little social hubbub? :D

Seriously, maybe making it another topic (rather than cluttering this one up)? Or maybe it still fits here?

Dunno, but it'd be interesting.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Average male (50). :whistling:

---

Angles

Your score: 16 out of 20

If you scored 13 - 17: You found this test neither hard nor easy. This suggests your brain has male and female traits when it comes to spatial ability.

Spot the difference

Your score: 36%

If you scored between 34 - 66%: You may have a balanced female-male brain.

Hands

Empathising

Your empathy score is: 7 out of 20

Systemising

Your systemising score is: 10 out of 20

Eyes

Your score: 6 out of 10

If you scored 4 - 6: Your result suggests you have a balanced female-male brain and find it neither easy nor difficult to judge people's emotions.

Fingers

Right Hand: 0.98

Faces

Your choices suggest you prefer more feminine faces. <-- No surprise there. I've always liked guys with delicate features.

3D shapes

Your score: 11 out of 12

If you scored 10 - 12: Are you an engineer or do you have a science background? People with these skills tend to score in this range. Past studies have concluded that people in this range have a more male brain.

Words

Your score: you associated 6 word(s) with grey and you named 12 word(s) that mean happy. We are assuming that all the words you entered are correct.

If you produced 6 - 10 words: Most people in this range have a female-type brain.

Ultimatum

If you had to split £50 with someone, you said you would demand £25 <-- I knew the ultimatum game already, so don't put too much stock in that answer.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Personal brain score: 50 (average male)
Sure, whatever.

Angles: 18/20
Wasn't watching the timer, and let it expire on one (D'oh!).

Spot the difference: 29%
Expected to suck on this one, results didn't disappoint.

Hands
Left thumb on top. Doing it the other way feels very wrong to me, so I'm decidedly left-on-top. Supposedly means I'm right-brained, which is interesting since I'm decidedly right-handed (my left hand is barely coordinated enough to wave).

Empathising
5/20

Systemizing
13/20

Eyes
5/10
On about half of these (likely the same ones I got wrong), I didn't feel that any of the four options looked correct, so I went with the least incorrect one.

Fingers
Right Hand: 0.94
Left Hand: 0.96
Apparently, I'm a testosterone-charged freak. Interesting, since I just tested positive for low testosterone levels in a blood test, which could (at least partly) explain why I feel so rundown and tired all the time. Consult with endocrinologist pending.

Faces
Prefer more feminine.
Would be interesting if they gave you some kind of numeric metric on this, instead of just an either/or result.

3D shapes
11/12
I develop 3D applications for a living, so I'd be in bad shape if I scored low on this.

Words
9 Words total (2 for gray and 7 for happy).
SPOILER WARNING!
I don't think the first part of this test measured anything having to do with verbal fluency. According to the instructions, you're supposed to list things that are always or usually gray. And they have to be single words (e.g., "elderly people's hair" isn't a word). The challenge isn't expressing these things, or your use of the word "gray", but rather it's coming up with things that are the color gray.

Jennifer, how the hell did you come up with (in 60 seconds) 26 things that are always or usually gray? :huh: I get as far as concrete and elephants, and that's about it.
END SPOILER

Ultimatum
$25 out of $50.
This has less to do with any particular strategy on my part, and more to do with my general distrust of most people's objective rationality. If I were on the other side, I would take $1 if it was offered. I would have nothing to gain by making them lose their $49, and a dollar to lose by doing so. But too many people I know don't think that way, so I'd play it safe and go 50/50 (since the majority of people would accept that as "fair").

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jennifer, how the hell did you come up with (in 60 seconds) 26 things that are always or usually gray? :huh: I get as far as concrete and elephants, and that's about it.

Oh. I included things and moods and whatever else in my mind that were connected with gray. So I think I had much more "flex" -- I never stopped typing, it was like hosing down a muddy dog.

(Ironically, elephant and concrete were not on my list! *scribbles them down*)

I'm shocked about your results otherwise. I always thought you to be a "happy" person. What happened to you?

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh. I included things and moods and whatever else in my mind that were connected with gray. So I think I had much more "flex" -- I never stopped typing, it was like hosing down a muddy dog.
Ah, okay. That was probably the intent of the test's designers. I took the instructions too literally and rigidly (too much T, not enough N ;) ). Love the muddy dog metaphor, btw. :)
I'm shocked about your results otherwise. I always thought you to be a "happy" person. What happened to you?
Really? I wouldn't consider myself a "happy" person, just more of a "generally not unhappy" one. Though, admittedly, that second clause hasn't been entirely true lately. Maybe this merits a blog post. ;)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ah, okay. That was probably the intent of the test's designers. I took the instructions too literally and rigidly (too much T, not enough N ;) ). Love the muddy dog metaphor, btw. :)

You people make me question my Sness.

My grey words were along the lines of "Mood, morality, weather, newfoundland, fog"...

I could have had 70 if I'd just started naming grey items :rolleyes:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? I wouldn't consider myself a "happy" person, just more of a "generally not unhappy" one. ...

HA!

"There goes Martoon, that generally not unhappy sorta guy!"

Too bad that won't fit as a usertitle.

My little brain was firing at all cylinders -- even "Gandalf" appeared in my list.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ

I could hardly think of any grey items. I had cells, elephant, dolphin, weather, area and apparently one more I don't remember now. Thinking of synonyms for happy was much easier.

On a note that's related in my head in some way I cannot crystallize, I know I would have done even worse than I did on Spot the difference if I hadn't learned the mnemonic trick of making up stories about items in order to remember their interrelation.