• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

InQ Thinking Styles Test-- Harrison and Bramson

Jaguar

The InQ assesses five different thinking styles - synthesist, idealist, pragmatist, analyst and realist.

Synthesists are integrators.
They delight in finding relationships in things which, to others, have no apparent connection.
In a group discussion, they are likely to champion an opposite point of view, and are therefore valuable in avoiding "group think."
Synthesists tend to be highly creative people, very interested in change and highly speculative.
To others, they may appear argumentative at times, and their pattern of thought may appear somewhat disjointed.

Idealists take a broad, holistic view of things, tending to be future-oriented and to think about goals.
They are also interested in social values. We could say that they are "big picture" people.
Correspondingly, they tend not to like detail.

Pragmatists have a bias for action.
They like to get things done and their approach is often flexible and adaptive. The model of the pragmatist is, "whatever works."
Unlike idealists, their solutions do not have to be the most elegant.

Analysts tend to be logical, structured and prescriptive.
They prefer predictability and rationality, and will look for a method, a formula, or procedure to solve a particular problem.
Analysts believe there is "one best way" to solve any problem.

Realists
take an empirical view.
Their world consists of what can be felt, smelled, touched, seen, heard, and personally observed or experienced.
They are interested in concrete results And, at times, may appear to be too results-oriented.
In thinking styles, the realist resembles the analyst.
Both are factual and focused on concrete facts, but unlike the analyst,
the realist will finally run out of patience and become frustrated with the analyst's endless search for data.

Scores of 60 or higher on any category indicate a peak or preference for that thinking style.
Scores of 48 or below indicate a valley or relative disregard for that thinking style.

It is possible to have no peaks or valleys, yielding a relatively flat profile that may indicate versatility in thinking styles,
and an ability to adapt one's thinking style to a given situation.

About half of any population would be expected to have a peak in a single thinking style.

35% of people have peaks in two thinking styles,
with the most common combinations being analyst/realist, idealist/analyst, and synthesist/idealist. The rarest combination is synthesist/realist.

Two percent of the general population has a preference for three styles. About 13 percent exhibit relatively flat profiles, with neither peaks nor valleys.

Test is here

You do NOT need to fill in your name, email address, or team number.
Take the test and then click "calculate," for your score rankings.

Jaguar

80 synthesist
64 realist
49 pragmatist
39 idealist
38 analyst

Scores above 60= thinking style preference(s)

I'm a Synthesist/Realist combo thinker.
That's accurate.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Not too sure on how I can equally be two conflicting thinking styles. Not really what I expected. Actually, on second thought, maybe that makes perfect sense.

57 Idealist
57 Pragmatist
54 Analyst
53 Synthestist
49 Realist

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wow i scored 58 on realist! what is happening to me lately wtf! 57 on idealist
54 on pragmatist, 53 on synthesist and 48 on analyst

Jaguar

Not too sure on how I can equally be two conflicting thinking styles. Not really what I expected. Actually, on second thought, maybe that makes perfect sense.

57 Idealist
57 Pragmatist
54 Analyst
53 Synthestist
49 Realist

Yes, you can easily have equal scores in conflicting thinking styles.
None of them are above 60, so you don't have a particularly strong preference for any of them.

This applies to you:
" It is possible to have no peaks or valleys, yielding a relatively flat profile that may indicate versatility in thinking styles,
and an ability to adapt one's thinking style to a given situation."

wow i scored 58 on realist! what is happening to me lately wtf! 57 on idealist
54 on pragmatist, 53 on synthesist and 48 on analyst

Lady X, read my comments to Jenna.
The same would apply to you.
Your range of scores are like hers.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
64 Realist
60 Analyst
59 Pragmatist
44 Idealist
43 Synthesist

So, analyst/realist. That seems right, though I did think I was more of an idealist than a pragmatist. Oh well. And the synthesist score is totally true. In my classes we are often asked to "put two thinkers into conversation with one another" in order to effectively synthesize their theories, and I am dead terrible at that. I prefer to deconstruct one theory and then build it back up with new elements that make it more effective.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the test :)

Leave it to me to not really read all the way through the details and jump right into taking the test...

Jaguar

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the test :)

Leave it to me to not really read all the way through the details and jump right into taking the test...

I realize I posted a lot of material, but it was for those who wanted to go back after the test and read it.
I skip over info and head for the test button, too. :D

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
48 Synthesist
54 Idealist
47 Pragmatist
71 Analyst
50 Realist

Holy crap what happened.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I realize I posted a lot of material, but it was for those who wanted to go back after the test and read it.
I skip over info and head for the test button, too. :D

Oh good, now I don't feel so reckless.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
me too...i didn't want to be influenced in some way...but really wtf yesterday ballerina test tells me i'm left brained and today i'm a realist...this can't be good.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
48 Synthesist
45 Idealist
69 Pragmatist
58 Analyst
50 Realist

So, in other words, I'm fairly versatile while having a moderate preference for pragmatism. I suppose that makes sense.

EDIT: Now that I've considered the results more thoroughly, though, I'd like to point out a few things:

• My low score on Idealism may be attributed to my own misanthropy, despite the fact that I am oriented toward the big-picture.
  • My high score on Pragmatism is theoretically applicable, if not for my preference for idle thought, as opposed to action; basically, I think pragmatically, but do not act the part.
  • My preference for Analysis would be higher if I did not hold the view that there is no "best" way to approach a problem.
  • Reading the description of the Synthesist, I'm shocked I didn't score higher. I can provide no reasonable explanation as to why I did not.

[I'd like to also note that my Realism score seems accurate.]

Jaguar

me too...i didn't want to be influenced in some way...but really wtf yesterday ballerina test tells me i'm left brained and today i'm a realist...this can't be good.

Relax. :D

Your scores were so close together, I would not call you a realist at all.
You don't have a strong preference for any of them. (None above 60.)
It indicates being able to use whatever style applies to the situation at the time.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
55 Synthesist
50 Idealist
58 Pragmatist
54 Analyst
53 Realist

I wasn't expecting my results to be this level, but I think it fits.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was wondering why my results didn't make any sense.
I did it backwards, 5's being least like me.
I was sitting here scratching my head.

Anyway. New, slightly more accurate scores.

SYNTHESIST 49

IDEALIST 57

PRAGMATIST 57

ANALYST 49

REALIST 58

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
Post has been edited
--------------------

Take one:
68 pragmatist
52 idealist
52 analyst

Am I lazy?

Take two:
59 pragmatist
57 idealist
57 analyst

Which factors might influence ur results in this test?
Exept the obvious ones;

You want to be a certain thinking style, and therfor choosing options for beneficial "visual" result(thinking style never really changed)
You are tired, and therefor stressing through the test(why take it in the first place then)

Last edited:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An interesting test! Thanks for posting it.

Synthesist - 54
Idealist - 39 :)laugh: wow, I guess it's obvious what my objectives are (or aren't) when I approach group projects!)
Pragmatist - 62
Analyst - 57
Realist - 58

(for the most part flat without a distinctly marked preference, w/ the exception of, ahem, the Idealist piece)

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE

Good :reading:.

Most of the text could be applied on myself, or could be related to. It is always interesting to read, and figure out things about "urself" on the net. :yes:

When you take these tests, and they actually contribute to something; as in further understanding of how your mind works, it is always just as chocking to me. I prolly look like a retard sitting with my laptop in my knee in following faceexpression; :shock:.

It is very interesting how far "we"-'ve got in psychology.