• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Alpha Male/Female Test...

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Alot of great points have been made in this thread.

I think it funny to directly compare the concept of an "alpha" male/female in humans to other species, namely wolves.

Needless aggression/violence has been frowned upon by civilized people for many generations, thank God. What is not so admonished is the concept of assertiveness, or the ability of an individual to make predetermined social outcomes a reality. Those traits are necessary for anyone to live a full life, in my opinion.

There are plenty of times in everyone's life where another individual will try to exert their will on us. Most often this is in a voluntary environment, such as the workplace. The boss tells someone to do something, and they do it. That is not needless aggression, the boss is in charge, they are the alpha, and they are not necessarily the biggest and baddest person in the room.

There are times in life when someone has to be in charge. It is not always bad for thier to be a leader. Not everyone wants to be one, so we should be thankful when good ones do assert themselves and gain prominence in whatever pack they are running with.

:newwink:

You needn't be an alpha to be a leader though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I got:

You scare the living daylights of out Alphas. You are by all definition, a GOD.

...Pretty accurate

So does that mean, in terms of the standards of this test, that you're just ESPECIALLY rude and overbearing? :devil:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You needn't be an alpha to be a leader though.

Hey Sytpg! Yes, I understand that.

If intact leadership is acceptable then why usurp it, right?

Part of the benefit of not being in the top dog spot is that you don't have to worry about the crap that the top dog needs to worry about all the time.

I'm fine functioning as a team player if the team has good players. However, I'll not be a follower of clueless people.

In real life it is not possible, or necessary, to be in the alpha spot all the time. All I know is that my default disposition is to assume command of whatever I get into, it's just how I'm wired. :D

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hey Sytpg! Yes, I understand that.

If intact leadership is acceptable then why usurp it, right?

Part of the benefit of not being in the top dog spot is that you don't have to worry about the crap that the top dog needs to worry about all the time.

I'm fine functioning as a team player if the team has good players. However, I'll not be a follower of clueless people.

In real life it is not possible, or necessary, to be in the alpha spot all the time. All I know is that my default disposition is to assume command of whatever I get into, it's just how I'm wired. :D

^Aye! And if there is is any legitimacy behind this alpha/omega thing, it's that alphas assert their authority (most dictators) while omegas earn it (obama?) unfortunately for the alphas that is why their leadership can be shallow and short lived, who stays in charge is a matter of unspoken agreement by the group and if it becomes apparent that the alpha doesnt have the group's best interest in mind then staying in charge becomes a power struggle that he cant win. omegas can seem like betas because they are not worried about the overt struggle for power. of course, this only applies to civilized humans, animals arent that perceptive and generally just follow the strongest member of the pack. that is not to say omegas are not assertive... a good leader needs such a quality so as to not give up when the going gets tough, but this trait should not be used against those within the "pack" (who might also be competing for leadership) unless necessary for the greater good (such as putting an alpha in his place to protect the group's interests)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Aye! And if there is is any legitimacy behind this alpha/omega thing, it's that alphas assert their authority (most dictators) while omegas earn it (obama?) unfortunately for the alphas that is why their leadership can be shallow and short lived, who stays in charge is a matter of unspoken agreement by the group and if it becomes apparent that the alpha doesnt have the group's best interest in mind then staying in charge becomes a power struggle that he cant win. omegas can seem like betas because they are not worried about the overt struggle for power. of course, this only applies to civilized humans, animals arent that perceptive and generally just follow the strongest member of the pack. that is not to say omegas are not assertive... a good leader needs such a quality so as to not give up when the going gets tough, but this trait should not be used against those within the "pack" (who might also be competing for leadership) unless necessary for the greater good (such as putting an alpha in his place to protect the group's interests)

It appears that there are many perspectives which to view this particular concept of life. Ultimately we must all be at peace with our own on the matter so that when we reap what we've sown we have no regrets.

BTW, Who says that alphas don't have the best interest of the pack at heart? I'm more prtoective of my wife, kids, and loved ones than anybody I know. I've put my own well being at risk to help those in need several times. I consciously choose to use my strengths, both physical and intellectual, for the greater good, in addition to the pursuit of my own happiness and that of my family. But yet I refuse to sit back and let someone else take the reigns of my life because I am quite content with the direction I am going. I don't bully anyone in any way; I never have, and I'll be damned if I let anyone bully me. Why does it appear that there is so much latent resentment toward those with dominant personalities, regardless of MBTI type? :shock:

At any rate, It's interesting to me to hear so many different perspectives. :D

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well chuffed I'm Omega

Jason Bourne style I'm sure. ;)

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm more prtoective of my wife, kids, and loved ones than anybody I know. I've put my own well being at risk to help those in need several times. I consciously choose to use my strengths, both physical and intellectual, for the greater good, in addition to the pursuit of my own happiness and that of my family. But yet I refuse to sit back and let someone else take the reigns of my life because I am quite content with the direction I am going. I don't bully anyone in any way; I never have, and I'll be damned if I let anyone bully me.

When I say 'overt power struggle' I mean leadership of people who are not your direct responsibility. I believe you would fit the omega profile more so than alpha, others are your primary concern and not a #1 status. that is why it is called 'alpha', the first, and if you are always the first by definition then you simply cant always put the best interest of others before your own. this is why omega outranks alpha in terms of clout, those who must always be first have a need to be first, usually at the cost of others' wellbeing. this is the telltale sign of their weakness--those who put others first not only have the most to give but quality of character to do so, this is what leads others to trust and elect them as the leader. doesnt have anything to do with being a pushover!

in mountain climbing, the most experienced climber goes last in a rope chain when glacier crossing. that is because that position has the greatest responsibility for the safety of the group. the person in front gets to hold the compass but if they make a mistake and fall in a crevice they have the entire group to catch them. consequently they are not a "fearless leader", they are in the position of greatest safety.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL @ the people taking a "Hello Quizzy" test so seriously...

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tis a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it! Can you imagine a world full of submissive omegas falling over themselves to ...fall over themselves?

;)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tis a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it! Can you imagine a world full of submissive omegas falling over themselves to ...fall over themselves?

;)

It would be a world where everyone lived in their parent's basements. I don't know if there are enough basements.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would be a world where everyone lived in their parent's basements. I don't know if there are enough basements.

You've got that backwards. The Morlocks are the ones that live below ground. ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Omegas can be highly responsible people. By the same token, an Alpha can be so pushy and self absorbed that they can just lazily sit around and bark at people to do their bidding.

I'm not sure what the correalation is here. At all.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Omegas can be highly responsible people. By the same token, an Alpha can be so pushy and self absorbed that they can just lazily sit around and bark at people to do their bidding.

I'm not sure what the correalation is here. At all.

It was a joke.

For the record, I scored as omega. I've been known to take the alpha position when necessary, but I generally would rather not. I think there are alot of omegas like that.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I say 'overt power struggle' I mean leadership of people who are not your direct responsibility. I believe you would fit the omega profile more so than alpha, others are your primary concern and not a #1 status. that is why it is called 'alpha', the first, and if you are always the first by definition then you simply cant always put the best interest of others before your own. this is why omega outranks alpha in terms of clout, those who must always be first have a need to be first, usually at the cost of others' wellbeing. this is the telltale sign of their weakness--those who put others first not only have the most to give but quality of character to do so, this is what leads others to trust and elect them as the leader. doesnt have anything to do with being a pushover!

in mountain climbing, the most experienced climber goes last in a rope chain when glacier crossing. that is because that position has the greatest responsibility for the safety of the group. the person in front gets to hold the compass but if they make a mistake and fall in a crevice they have the entire group to catch them. consequently they are not a "fearless leader", they are in the position of greatest safety.

You know, that was so nicely put I have no issue with any of it.

Grayscale, my firend, thou art a well versed and well spoken fellow.

I am what I am, and if I am an Omega, that's fine with me, I'm not at all emotionally attached to a rank used to identify caste amongst primitive mammals.

Maybe the "me first" element of the alpha persona is the part, that if factored out yields the Omega persona?

Cheers to you,

:cheers:

-Halla

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I am what I am, and if I am an Omega, that's fine with me, I'm not at all emotionally attached to a rank used to identify caste amongst primitive mammals.

Maybe the "me first" element of the alpha persona is the part, that if factored out yields the Omega persona?

That very well may be it... leave it to the ESTP not to overcomplexity things!

LOL @ the people taking a "Hello Quizzy" test so seriously...

Can't be helped, people are way too interesting not to study :popc1:

wolfy

awsm
I much more relate to the omega but not as submissive. I think the omega is the one that has it right, the independent one. Where the alpa is tied to their status within their group and in an endless series of fights to protect it.

It is best to be independent.
Status is for fools.
You need to fight to protect your independence.