• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mothering Style and MBTI Type

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MotherStyles - Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths

I guess it could match with fathers too, so:

Your type is: istp —The “Give 'Em Their Space” Mother

“My feelings are my own business. Not theirs.
So I honor their privacy too.”

Non-intrusive and respectful of differences, the ISTP mother gives her children the personal space they need to develop as separate, self-sufficient individuals. As children grow and mature, she enjoys observing how each one becomes his or her own person. She seeks to accept and honor each child’s interests, opinions, and choices.
The ISTP mother does not believe in authority or control for its own sake. Instead, she favors a non-directive approach. Yet she has high expectations for each child’s self-discipline as a key to self sufficiency.
To these ends, the ISTP mother wants to “be there” for her children—to meet their basic needs and keep them safe. Her goal is to help her children think for themselves and take responsibility for their own actions.

Seems accurate.:yes:

slant

MBTI Type
TOTO
heck yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh summer

I mean, yeah that sounds right.

probably for both mother and father.

how about 'mbti parenting style'?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shocking...

Your type is: intp —The “Love of Learning” Mother

“I keep the encyclopedia in the kitchen so we can look up things together while we eat.”

* Intellectually curious and patient, the INTP mother relishes those times with a child when they are learning something interesting together. Whether they’re at the zoo or computer terminal, she sparks to answering his or her “whys” with in-depth responses or new knowledge.

* The INTP mother is also objective and introspective. She listens to and discusses children’s ideas and questions as she would those of a peer, fostering self-esteem and confidence. Open and non-directive, she allows children the freedom to do for themselves and quietly encourages them to believe they can do it.

* Independence, autonomy, intellectual development, and self-reliance are probably the INTP’s highest priorities for her children. An avid reader, she naturally imparts an appreciation and love of reading as well.

* Drawn to all types of learning, the INTP may also value her mothering experience for all the new insights about life it provides her.

Actually pretty much verbatim my style...

For kicks, I looked at INFP... no dice.
I identified more with the INFJ when I looked at that.

P

Phantonym

I'd be a great mom :yes:

INFJ - The “Know Thyself” Mother

“I believe the joy of motherhood is self-discovery—for them and for me.”

# Sensitive and family-focused, the INFJ mother looks for and encourages the unique potential of each child. Self-knowledge may be her byword. Her aim is to help each child develop a sense of identity and cultivate personal growth. In fact, she may value the mothering experience as a catalyst to her own personal growth and self-knowledge.

# The INFJ mother spends time observing and understanding each child. She is drawn to intimate conversations and seeks a free exchange of feelings and thoughts.

# Sympathetic and accommodating, the INFJ mother strives to meet the important yet sometimes conflicting needs of each family member in harmonious and creative ways

# She is conscientious and intense as well. Probably no one takes life and child-raising more seriously than the INFJ. She approaches mothering as a profession requiring her best self.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your type is: INTP - The “Love of Learning” Mother

“I keep the encyclopedia in the kitchen so we can look up things together while we eat.”

* Intellectually curious and patient, the INTP mother relishes those times with a child when they are learning something interesting together. Whether they’re at the zoo or computer terminal, she sparks to answering his or her “whys” with in-depth responses or new knowledge.

* The INTP mother is also objective and introspective. She listens to and discusses children’s ideas and questions as she would those of a peer, fostering self-esteem and confidence. Open and non-directive, she allows children the freedom to do for themselves and quietly encourages them to believe they can do it.

* Independence, autonomy, intellectual development, and self-reliance are probably the INTP’s highest priorities for her children. An avid reader, she naturally imparts an appreciation and love of reading as well.

* Drawn to all types of learning, the INTP may also value her mothering experience for all the new insights about life it provides her.

I can't stand structuring my child's life. I think that may be a response to living in a strict SJ authoritarian home.
Your type is: istp —The “Give 'Em Their Space” Mother

“My feelings are my own business. Not theirs.
So I honor their privacy too.”

Non-intrusive and respectful of differences, the ISTP mother gives her children the personal space they need to develop as separate, self-sufficient individuals. As children grow and mature, she enjoys observing how each one becomes his or her own person. She seeks to accept and honor each child’s interests, opinions, and choices.

The ISTP mother does not believe in authority or control for its own sake. Instead, she favors a non-directive approach. Yet she has high expectations for each child’s self-discipline as a key to self sufficiency.

To these ends, the ISTP mother wants to “be there” for her children—to meet their basic needs and keep them safe. Her goal is to help her children think for themselves and take responsibility for their own actions.

Seems accurate.:yes:

Love this result. :D

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If this thing is dead accurate (and of course, it can't be), my mom is not an INFP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't stand structuring my child's life. I think that may be a response to living in a strict SJ authoritarian home.

It could be. That sort of stuff can create a repelling action.

I know I just hate forcing kids into particular channels. It just seems so much better to see what is in them and encourage them to explore as they go and help them get to wherever they are naturally inclined to go.

I had a teacher in high school who was very P. One day I brought in a Happy Meal Toy, a little car that you could draw backwards on the ground, then let go and it would drive around. Me and a boy in my class and my teacher spent most of the period taking it apart to figure out how it worked, because we were curious. My teacher put everyone else in study hall.

At the time I thought he was such a dork. Now I see that my teacher was very similar, it was very much about seeing where the students wanted to go and helping them work through whatever they were exploring on their own cognizance. There is a notable lack of desire to exert control over others, it's more of an "enabling" process.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think I'm an ISTP/INFJ hybrid mother. I don't have the energy to full-on INFJ mother four kids and I'm too squishy to full-on ISTP mother.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wish they'd show the neg side.

But mothers are always perfect!! ;)

Well, INTP moms can:
* be detached emotionally and not provide enough reassurance to their kids on that emotional level.
* be tough with their kids -- expecting them to take care of themselves and not be wiped out by their emotions. SOme kids can do that. Other kids feel abandoned, I am sure.
* get caught up in the impersonal, rather than the personal.
* need a lot of alone time.
* not plan well enough to make sure their kids get all the opportunities that might be afforded them.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
LOL, yep I'm the nurturing INFP mom but blended with some of that ENFP mom too.

I loved being able to go to kids movies, be silly and etc. and have it all blend in to parenting.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Your type is: enfp —The “Kids R Fun” Mother

“Whatever I enjoy—playing tag or singing in the car—I can do it with kids around. And it’s totally legitimate!”

Playful and energetic, the ENFP mother finds her children to be good company and enjoys being with them. In fact, she says being with children justifies her own “being a kid again.” And children say she’s fun to be with — spontaneous, hearty, and imaginative.
Naturally drawn to introducing her children to the joys of life, the ENFP is something of a free spirit. She is less concerned with rules, routines, and schedules, and more inclined to give her children plenty of free time to play, explore on their own or with her, and have fun together.
Tuned in to her children, the ENFP mother enthusiastically encourages each one’s individuality and unique potential through a great variety of experiences. She is also quick to identify with others’ feelings and thoughts, making her an empathetic supporter of her children, not to mention her mate and many, many friends.

This is definitely me (not that I have kids or anything). I guess this is reflective of my extroverted introvert quality. Sometime I think I'm not quiet enough to be an INFP :D

wolfy

awsm
I am much more like the ISTP style than the ISFP style in those descriptions.
The ISFP description is way too passive.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Your type is: enfp —The “Kids R Fun” Mother

“Whatever I enjoy—playing tag or singing in the car—I can do it with kids around. And it’s totally legitimate!”

Playful and energetic, the ENFP mother finds her children to be good company and enjoys being with them. In fact, she says being with children justifies her own “being a kid again.” And children say she’s fun to be with — spontaneous, hearty, and imaginative.
Naturally drawn to introducing her children to the joys of life, the ENFP is something of a free spirit. She is less concerned with rules, routines, and schedules, and more inclined to give her children plenty of free time to play, explore on their own or with her, and have fun together.
Tuned in to her children, the ENFP mother enthusiastically encourages each one’s individuality and unique potential through a great variety of experiences. She is also quick to identify with others’ feelings and thoughts, making her an empathetic supporter of her children, not to mention her mate and many, many friends.

I get along better with kids than adults. I love playing with my kids and experiencing life with them. Sometimes life gets me distracted and busy and I hate getting in ruts where I'm not paying the attention I should.

My 11 year old told me I'm the coolest mom today. At least I got "cool" at some point in my life!

wolfy

awsm
I get along better with kids than adults. I love playing with my kids and experiencing life with them. Sometimes life gets me distracted and busy and I hate getting in ruts where I'm not paying the attention I should.

My 11 year old told me I'm the coolest mom today. At least I got "cool" at some point in my life!

If you remember that adults are kids with better excuses they're easier to get along with.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I've actually been analyzing it trying to figure out why I feel like that.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've actually been analyzing it trying to figure out why I feel like that.
Actually, I like kids more than adults too. Whenever there's a family gathering or whatever, I always seem to end up playing with the kids. I'm sure there are lots of good reasons why but I guess I feel like kids are just more alive - they're full of enthusiasm, awe and joy. Adults just seem boring by comparison, sitting there talking about inane crap.

I have started to feel a bit self-conscious about it lately. I feel like I should grow up and start talking about the new lounge suite someone bought or the affair that the brother of the guy who used to work with my mum's friend had (even though I have no idea who he is) - but I really don't want to :dry:

moira

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
Congratulations! Based on your answers to this quiz, you are:
INTJ – The "Individual Integrity" Mother
(Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judging)

Individualistic and independent, the INTJ mother is both a role model and teacher of how to be an individual and live life with integrity. She is introspective, defining her own success from within, and generally confident in her decisions. She is unlikely to be persuaded by her children saying, "But all the other mothers are doing it." The INTJ is competent in providing for her children's basic needs, but she is likely more focused on developing their self-esteem and confidence. Observant and insightful, she puts great importance on independent thinking and self-sufficiency, yet she is comfortable providing protection and boundaries.