• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Facebook MBTI and type confusion. Rarr.

whatnot

MBTI Type
xNfj
This was the only place I could come and express my frustration about Facebook MBTI quizzes. (Totally lame, I know, but my capacity for frustration is maxed these days, and even a silly facebook quiz is enough to go from "Huh. That's stupid. Moving on..." to "GRAAAGH. RELEASE THE KRAKKEN! *stomps all over Facebook making Krakkeny noises,*" in short order.

Anyway. So. A few friends of mine took one of the MBTI quizzes on Facebook (I feel 13 every time I use Facebook in a sentence) and most were pretty off, but one friend, who is a classic ESFP, total S, can follow me into Abstract Land but completely resides in Downtown Sensoryville, tested as an ENFP. Most of my friends' tests were off (as they themselves noted in their comments on the test), but this one irked me the most, probably because she didn't disagree with the result.

Maybe its the part of my brain that writhes when it hears people say "irregardless." Or maybe I'm being a dink about a silly Facebook quiz. But does it annoy anyone else when someone mistypes themselves after reading the type description that you can obviously see doesn't fit and still Insists that it is Their Type?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
That ISTJ description fit me almost to a tee.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
The facebook quiz typed me just about the same as any other online quiz -- INTP.

whatnot

MBTI Type
xNfj
Oh, it can hit the mark sometimes. It labeled me an INFJ.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
i've never seen mbti tests on facebook. i've seen wrinkle cream and flab reducer ads but no mbti tests floating past me while i visit there. i don't feel like i'm 13 either.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
MBTI tests are pretty universally guaranteed to not provide "correct" (I use the term loosely, as the results are pretty vague anyway) classifications. I'd say a much better way to decide on a type (if you need to decide on one, that is), is to use a test as a guide and then learn a bit about it and see what you think. It's not a big surprise that the Facebook test can give results that people don't agree with.

But for the people who do agree with the results, what makes you think that your estimation of someone's type is more valid than their own?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Where is this infamous test?

redacted

yeah out of the like 20 of my friends who took that test, probably 60% were wrong.

G

garbage

The two most ESTP people I know tested ENFJ on that thing somehow

whatnot

MBTI Type
xNfj
*sighs*

Nevermind, guys. It's not really about Facebook. Just annoyed at this particular ESFP. Spilled over in here rather than onto her.

Carry on.

whatnot

MBTI Type
xNfj
But for the people who do agree with the results, what makes you think that your estimation of someone's type is more valid than their own?

The ESFP in question is really the only test I took issue with. Most didn't take it too seriously, and neither did I till the ESFP, who "done me wrong" I guess. But I have known her for over five years and to hear her described as "flexible" and "readily [gives] appreciation and support" made my stomach turn. Her lack of flexibility made me late for a wedding I was in, and, more recently, almost got my cat euthanized. Long story, that.

Edit: I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't think ESFPs can be flexible or supportive. They totally can. This one in particular seems to have a hard time with it.

But you're right, Kelric. I have no place judging who people are, or the relative truth of their perception versus mine. Which is a good thing for me to keep in mind. I like things defined in accurate ways. MBTI may be vague at best, but its still a language used to describe people. I'm sure I'm not a perfect communicator, but using words incorrectly or in a way that gives rise to inaccuracy gets under my skin. Possibly hypocritical, but it the way my brain works. A glitch in the wiring, maybe.

And now, I'd like to take the opportunity to unstart this thread, if possible. It was a bad day (the aforementioned cat went to a new home yesterday and my heart is still a little bit broken from it) and my tolerance level is low.

So. Uh. Anyway. How about that local sports team, eh? I sure love sport season.

Last edited:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am interested to find out where this test is now. Just typed in MTBI test in the search box, there was so many but i couldn't actually find the quiz/test.

I did look at one of the groups (MBIT Personality Test Research Project) and did one of there tests (MBTI Test: Personality Test) .. Still came up as ESFJ though.
Extraverted (E) 93%. Sensing (S) 86%. Feeling (F) 85%. Judging (J) 82%
(scores are a bit of the high side)

Need more details please so i can have a go. ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
here's the one someone recently posted on my page.

Login | Facebook

oh...that doesn't work does it? someone with facebook tell me if it takes you to that test..please. :)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I gave up on the facebook test and used the set your own percentages option.

It typed one of my friends who is a classic ESFP as an INFP. I could be wrong, but she's a really strange INFP if she is.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rather like that test.
Seems like most of my friends are coming out fairly accurate. (i'm guessing so anyways.. although I haven't always guessed dead on their results seem to be close to what i'm guessing..)

Couple of probable S's testing as N's, and one total screw up.. (possibly on my part but I think probably on her part) stereotypical isxj tested infp.
The usual test glitches anyway. (They really need to make the S/N questions better!!)

(More than half my friends that took the test are SJ's I noticed...)

whatnot

MBTI Type
xNfj
@Lady X - That link *does* take you to the "What's your Myers-Briggs Personality Type?" test.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Well, I got ISTJ, so it worked for me! :D

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Really? I thought it was completely wack. It called me ESFJ the first time, so i tried changing a few things that could have gone either way, and it changed to ENFP. Changed a few things again and got ESFJ again. I have no idea how to show up as an introvert on that test! I changed to everything I thought would be the I answers and it still said I was E! :shock:

Strawberrylover

MBTI Type
ENFP
One of my friends who is such a flaming ESTJ actually came out INFP on the Facebook test. INFP? INFP??!!! Argh.

I have a hunch that a whole bunch of people are testing as their shadows.