• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Programmer Personality Test

ygolo

My termites win
IInspired by this thread

Programmer Personality Test - Game Producer Resource

I am wondering what Wolf believes is ideal fo the type of stuff he works on.

I haven't been a programmer in a long while, but I am:

Your programmer personality type is:

PHTC

You're a Planner.
You may be slow, but you'll usually find the best solution. If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

You like coding at a High level.
The world is made up of objects and components, you should create your programs in the same way.

You work best in a Team.
A good group is better than the sum of it's parts. The only thing better than a genius programmer is a cohesive group of genius programmers.

You are a Conservative programmer.
The less code you write, the less chance there is of it containing a bug. You write short and to the point code that gets the job done efficiently.

Last edited:

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm hung up on 5, you can't make a sweeping statement here because both are valuable in different cases.

Alright, I'll go with my instinct:

PLSC

You're a Planner.
You may be slow, but you'll usually find the best solution. If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

You like coding at a Low level.
You're from the old school of programming and believe that you should have an intimate relationship with the computer. You don't mind juggling registers around and spending hours getting a 5% performance increase in an algorithm.

You work best in a Solo situation.
The best way to program is by yourself. There's no communication problems, you know every part of the code allowing you to write the best programs possible.

You are a Conservative programmer.
The less code you write, the less chance there is of it containing a bug. You write short and to the point code that gets the job done efficiently.

ygolo

My termites win
I'm hung up on 5, you can't make a sweeping statement here because both are valuable in different cases.

Well that sort of stuff happens on every personality test.

Is this one different for some reason?

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well that sort of stuff happens on every personality test.

Is this one different for some reason?
You're uncertain about some? I was uncertain about very few of them.

ygolo

My termites win
You're uncertain about some? I was uncertain about very few of them.

Almost all of the questions I was unsure of because, the answers depend on the scope, purpose, complexity and longevity of the solution being created.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Almost all of the questions I was unsure of because, the answers depend on the scope, purpose, complexity and longevity of the solution being created.
We have lost sync.

ygolo

My termites win
We have lost sync.

You meant personality tests, not the questions on this one?

Then the MBTI-like tend to have a lot of questions where I would want to answer, "it depends", but I still think I do one choice more than the others on average.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Luckily I actually knew what most of the questions meant. (I've just done very beginner level programming.)

got DHSC.

edit: Question 5 threw me also, it's the one where I didn't know what it was about.

alexkreuz

MBTI Type
INTP

DLSB

You're a Doer.
You are very quick at getting tasks done. You believe the outcome is the most important part of a task and the faster you can reach that outcome the better. After all, time is money.

You like coding at a Low level.
You're from the old school of programming and believe that you should have an intimate relationship with the computer. You don't mind juggling registers around and spending hours getting a 5% performance increase in an algorithm.

The best way to program is by yourself. There's no communication problems, you know every part of the code allowing you to write the best programs possible.

You are a liBeral programmer.
Programming is a complex task and you should use white space and comments as freely as possible to help simplify the task. We're not writing on paper anymore so we can take up as much room as we need.

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP

PHSB

You're a Planner.

You like coding at a High level.
The world is made up of objects and components, you should create your programs in the same way.

You are a liBeral programmer.
Programming is a complex task and you should use white space and comments as freely as possible to help simplify the task. We're not writing on paper anymore so we can take up as much room as we need.

For most of them I was looking at it thinking "It depends on the task"

This test fails to identify pragmatists.

ygolo

My termites win
Interesting, how long have you guys been programming. How long in a professional capacity.

I've never actually met an experienced AND liBeral programmer. Comments can be a good thing (esp. in assembler), but most of the ones I saw were out of date and added to confusion. I call it the rule of documentation, it is always out of date and provides false information. Seems to be true in the hardware world also (but can't rely on "self-documenting" code, so it is a necessary evil).

I was also surprised by the number of low-level programmers. But I was a pro. programmer back when Java was some-what of a novelty (just transitioned from 1.3 to 1.4 with new event model), and I loved not having to create a garbage collector for distributed applications. Performance slow down was negligible if it existed, and I figured with that having several times faster computers would make it even less noticeable. Also, with C#, XML, and .Net, the benefits seemed greater.

As usual, it depends on the situation, what we'd chose, but I was still surprised by what people chose by default. meh.

I hate computers and programs. The more I learn about them and how they are made, the more I hate them.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
11 years professionally, 20 total.

alexkreuz

MBTI Type
INTP
8 years as a hobbyist on various projects (open source, sourceforge, etc.) and 2 years professionally for corporate ..

i comment for 2 main reasons ..

1. if i don't comment and i have to revisit a project 2-3 months after i wrote the code then i spend approximately 20% of my time for the modifications on "re-reading and re-understanding" the code .. i try to use self-explanatory variables, etc. as much as possible but needless to say, proper documentation goes a long way in saving me tedious "study" time ..

2. other programmers im required to work with do not read my mind ..

As for low vs. high, I find low to be more challenging (fun) .. While high may get the job done quicker, it turns it into a "job" .. especially in a corporate setting ..

I hate computers and programs. The more I learn about them and how they are made, the more I hate them.

why is that?

ygolo

My termites win
11 years professionally, 20 total.

You were a conservative programmer as all experienced programmers I've met, in real life, have been. I've met a lot of liBeral "Script Kiddies", but that's a different thing I think from being a pro. programmer.

But I suppose coding in any assembler would require a lot of commenting (unless macros are supported well). Mine tended to have close to every line commented.

8 years as a hobbyist on various projects (open source, sourceforge, etc.) and 2 years professionally for corporate ..

i comment for 2 main reasons ..

1. if i don't comment and i have to revisit a project 2-3 months after i wrote the code then i spend approximately 20% of my time for the modifications on "re-reading and re-understanding" the code .. i try to use self-explanatory variables, etc. as much as possible but needless to say, proper documentation goes a long way in saving me tedious "study" time ..

2. other programmers im required to work with do not read my mind ..

As for low vs. high, I find low to be more challenging (fun) .. While high may get the job done, it turns it into a "job" .. especially in a corporate setting ..

I understand. I was just surprised.

I was a big believer in self-documenting code, as being best, if possible. But I suppose you can get stuck in situations where it is not possible.

I once had a running list saved of the funniest, most useless comments I ever came across.

I saw this once:

/*hack put in to fix issues*/

and many similar comments. Most that I saw weren't much better.

There were also a lot of:
x+=3; /*add 3 to x */

Something I thought you would only find in code written for school.

Really, nothing better to improve code (and comments) than a peer-review process.

The S-B combination I found weird. But I suppose you could work best alone, but prefer to be liBeral because you usually work in giant groups (like open source).

Times have changed.

why is that?

Because I know more and more how much potential is being wasted.

alexkreuz

MBTI Type
INTP
/*hack put in to fix issues*/

lol i had no idea you had it that bad .. yea ive seen things like that before as well but its unfair to call that "documentation" or calling the guy who wrote that a liberal programmer .. more like a lazy programmer ..

liberal = don't be cheap with keystrokes (i.e. apply sunscreen lotion liberally)
conservative = cheap (i.e. republicans lol)

this is an example of my documenting / coding ..

Code:
// First step is to compare all the child nodes so that we can begin
// the comparison of the child node's attributes. If all the attributes
// of the child node check out, then the child node hasn't changed
// and thus neither has the parent node. If any attributes in the child
// node have changed, then the child node itself is set to HasChanged
// and every parent node up the tree as well.
for (int i = 0; i < this.ChildNode.Length; i++)
{
    // Begin the process of comparing the current child node in the loop.
    this.ChildNode[i].CompareNode();
    // If the child node has changed, then set the parent node to HasChanged
    // as well.
    if (this.ChildNode[i].HasChanged)
    {
        this.HasChanged = true;
    }
}

i try to write my comments in complete sentences and proper english. the code is already in nerd-speak .. why should the documentation be?

Because I know more and more how much potential is being wasted.

that is still too vague .. whose potential? why have you come to that conclusion?

ygolo

My termites win
lol i had no idea you had it that bad .. yea ive seen things like that before as well but its unfair to calling that "documentation" or calling the guy who wrote that a liberal programmer .. more like a lazy programmer ..

liberal = don't be cheap with keystrokes (i.e. apply sunscreen lotion liberally)
conservative = cheap (i.e. republicans lol)

this is an example of my documenting / coding ..

Code:
// First step is to compare all the child nodes so that we can begin
// the comparison of the child node's attributes. If all the attributes
// of the child node check out, then the child node hasn't changed
// and thus neither has the parent node. If any attributes in the child
// node have changed, then the child node itself is set to HasChanged
// and every parent node up the tree as well.
for (int i = 0; i < this.ChildNode.Length; i++)
{
    // Begin the process of comparing the current child node in the loop.
    this.ChildNode[i].CompareNode();
    // If the child node has changed, then set the parent node to HasChanged
    // as well.
    if (this.ChildNode[i].HasChanged)
    {
        this.HasChanged = true;
    }
}

This is very similar to

Code:
x+=3; /*Add 3 to x*/

First thing I notice is that you seem to be writing C, essentially, in a C++ compiler and making use of the C++ style comments, and the this pointer. Not necessarily great for porting.

If this is Java code, it probably shouldn't even exist, since it is barely object oriented. Who designed the over all system? No polymorphism? No predefined traversal pattern?

Second, you used a lot of words in your comments to say the same thing your code already says (or at least attempts to say). This style of commenting is very conducive to hiding bugs, since people will read(or skip) over the code, and not scrutinize it, thinking that the code does what the comment says it does.

Third, You could have used comments to clarify ambiguities. Pre-conditions, post-conditions, loop-invariants, structure/class invariants, other assumptions? What locking mechanism you are using? Are any of the function calls busy-waits?

i try to write my comments in complete sentences and proper english. the code is already in nerd-speak .. why should the documentation be?

Because you have enough things to clarify to a professional that you ought not waste time and energy to clarify things to a amateurs. Commenting for amateurs also encourages managers to hire "warm bodies" for programming positions instead of discriminating for skill and experience.

that is still too vague .. whose potential? why have you come to that conclusion?

I meant it about as generally as I said it, I hoped it would be obvious to those who work in the industry, and it is way off-topic.

But some examples I hope are self-explanatory (unless you want to start another thread and wait for me to check in again).

Society as a whole is not where it could be with the aid of computers.
The computer tech. (software and hardware) is not where it could be.
Programmer productivity is not where it could be.
The productivity of you average office worker is not where it could be.

alexkreuz

MBTI Type
INTP
well what can i say .. you've got a lot of critique about a project, the scope, time constraints, etc. of which you're unaware of .. no its not java, or c in a c++ compiler .. no its not a c++ compiler ..

your suggestion that commenting will persuade programmers to "skip" over the actual code is ridiculous .. comments are meant to help developers understand the program's logic, not be a substitute for it .. programmers so lazy to skip over code simply because they are not forced to look at it due to liberal documenting shouldn't be programming anyway .. according to your logic we should remove all documenting and self-explanatory code altogether and effectively force the programmer to scrutizine the code to such a deep level that he might as well write it from the bottom up himself anyway .. it seems counterproductive to me ..

finally, like i said .. the code does a nice job speaking "nerd" already .. i prefer to document in "english" .. if that means im documenting for "amateurs" then i suppose i don't have to document for "professionals" since they speak "code" anyway .. also you as a developer have little if any say in the matter of who is and is not hired .. you will only make the life of those who are hired more difficult by poorly documenting .. welcome to the corporate world .. and yes i've been there .. i've had to dissect a comment-less monstrosity ..

i personally would rather make sure that the "amateurs" i work with understand the code properly and save myself the second trip of sitting down with them and explaining the code's logic verbally .. that would be a frustrating experience ..

by the way, weeding out the "amateurs" isn't always a great thing to do .. some of the greatest programmers started out as "amateurs" .. and finally, i've always believed that those who do not or poorly comment / document are the real amateurs ..

ygolo

My termites win
Please note that my critique of your code was not meant to be personal. This is the type of thing that comes up in code reviews. We debate the (de-)merits having code look a particular way.

well what can i say .. you've got a lot of critique about a project, the scope, time constraints, etc. of which you're unaware of .. no its not java, or c in a c++ compiler .. no its not a c++ compiler ..

True. I don't know what language you are using. or what sort of time constraints you are dealing with, etc. It's been a while since I was in the software industry. It looked like C. C did not include "//" coments. C++ did. Maybe the standards have changed. I'm not writing the code.
However, "laziness" would be indicated if I was writing it, and didn't submit it to peer-review or look at the language standard to see if my compiler is letting me get away with things not in the standard.

your suggestion that commenting will persuade programmers to "skip" over the actual code is ridiculous .. comments are meant to help developers understand the program's logic, not be a substitute for it .. programmers so lazy to skip over code simply because they are not forced to look at it due to liberal documenting shouldn't be programming anyway .. according to your logic we should remove all documenting and self-explanatory code altogether and effectively force the programmer to scrutizine the code to such a deep level that he might as well write it from the bottom up himself anyway .. it seems counterproductive to me ..

That is not what I said.

I said that comments that say the same thing as the code are not helpful. They are, infact, a maintenance problem. It is a psychological trick of "mindset". Again, in a code-review situations, when other people are scanning for bugs in your code, having comments like this tend to have people miss bugs. I don't know why it happens, but in my experience, it does.

There are other resons why comments like that are maintainance issues.
The same reasons having code copied-and-pasted in several places is a problem. It makes the code-review process (where others are given your code, so they can scan the code for bugs and clarifications) less helpful, due simply to the amout of reading each reviewer has to do. We are all human, it is not laziness to want to read less. When I submit code for review, I am asking for a favor, having people have less to read is a courtesy.

finally, like i said .. the code does a nice job speaking "nerd" already .. i prefer to document in "english" .. if that means im documenting for "amateurs" then i suppose i don't have to document for "professionals" since they speak "code" anyway .. also you as a developer have little if any say in the matter of who is and is not hired .. you will only make the life of those who are hired more difficult by poorly documenting .. welcome to the corporate world .. and yes i've been there .. i've had to dissect a comment-less monstrosity ..

If you are calling your peers "nerds", you have other issues also. English is not my first language, and it is not the main language of many programmers. English is, in my opinion, one of the most inconsistent, and illogical laguages there is, but it happened to be the language of those who developed Computer Science. An accident of history.

My point is, people who are hired to program in a language, or review the code, should either know the language or have access to enough reference matierial to know it well soon.

No other engineering profession aims their documentation to other practitioners at the "layperson". They hire tech-writers to do that. If they are making schematics for technician to execute they make another type of documentation. For assembly, they make another.

Comminication to do transfer info. from technical person to tech-writer should be done in several question and answer sessions. Not implicitly through code that gets chucked over the wall.

My point is: you have an audience. Aim your comments at the appropriate audience (I would be surprised if comments to code actually had an audience of people who don't know the programming language, but I guess times really have changed).

i personally would rather make sure that the "amateurs" i work with understand the code properly and save myself the second trip of sitting down with them and explaining the code's logic verbally .. that would be a frustrating experience ..

That seems to me, to be true "laziness". That "frustrating experience" is exactly what you need to have. Hand poeople printed out copies of your code, explain what it is you want it to, and have them scrutinize your code and comments for correctness and clarity. I learnt a lot from these experiences.

by the way, weeding out the "amateurs" isn't always a great thing to do .. some of the greatest programmers started out as "amateurs" .. and finally, i've always believed that those who do not or poorly comment / document are the real amateurs ..

By "ameteur", I meant someone who didn't understand the language you are using. I think you are probably underestamiting your audience here.

And yes comments are needed. Spend a lot of time reverse engineering other peoples code, and have a lot of code reviews, and you will know what type of comments are good, and what are bad. You will also get a feel for what is actually "self-documenting" code (code that doesn't need comments).

Code reviews people, code reviews.

alexkreuz

MBTI Type
INTP
I think you are misunderstanding the point completely. I'll simply say .. Documentation isn't supposed to explain what the code does .. Documentation is supposed to explain the reasons why the programmer wrote what he did, when he did, and why he did .. Documentation should NEVER explain HOW he did, because the CODE is supposed to explain that part ..

/*Add 3 to x*/ is a perfect example of bad documentation because it described exactly what the code does .. We both agree that anybody who is a programmer should be able to read the code, and figure that part out.

Documentation is supposed to explain to the next person reading the code, WHY the previous programmer did what he did .. "If all the attributes of the child node check out, then the child node hasn't changed"

You know I won't get into people of different languages, because I did work on a project which was 100% commented in Japanese, but needless to say it didn't help that the "self-explanatory" variable names and such were also in Japanese. Yes it took a LOT of time reverse-engineering it and in those sort of cases its unavoidable. But that example is a worst case scenario in which case it really makes no difference whether or not you document at all.

I never suggested that documentation is an alternative for proper coding .. However I'm not going to expect the next person who touches my code to expect to read my mind .. I don't document the programming language (C# in this case) .. I document my logic .. Why I wrote what I did ..

I think expecting to be "verbally taught" by a former developer of the project is quite naive, since the case is more often than not that the former developer has quit the project. It tends to flow that way.

My audience is composed of fellow or future programmers, and myself, who are incapable of reading my mind and figuring out the logic I used to write the code by simple telepathy, or in my case, am subject gaps in my own memory due to not caring enough about a project to remember why I wrote what I did ..

An accident of history.

What can I say .. I'm expected to program in the real world whether i like it or not .. And in the real world documentation is required to be in english since more often than not, the paycheck comes from somebody who signs it in english.

By the way, I did google this subject since I was curious what the thought on this topic was and needless to say its a hot debate that isn't solved elsewhere .. :D

Linux.com :: How to document your code

However thanks to our discussion and my following "research" I found an amazing documenting resource called Doxygen which automatically generates external HTML documentation for your code. It will give summaries and such as well provided they were documented in the first place in the code. I think you should check it out cuz I found it pretty amazing.

Doxygen